As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis Warhead is out now or something

1171819202123»

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    farcry 2 is the same engine, just a worse game.

UE3 tends to only really perform well with epic at the helm with large arenas, whereas what really impressed me about this is the constant HUGE scale.

Plus, when you're on the ship.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just picked up both.

Is Crysis still supposed to be the benchmark for graphics, or has it moved on? I'm running it on very high with 2x AA and it looks good, but not great. Compared to say, Farcry 2 or UE 3 games it doesn't seem particularly special, visually.

It is still supposed to be the benchmark, and I really can't see where you're coming from saying that Far Cry 2 or UE3 look better. I think on an artistic level it's possible to prefer the stuff seen in one or other engine, but I honestly feel that the technical capability showcased in Crysis and Cryengine 2 is pretty amazing even now, and beyond what's done in Dunia (and definitely UE3).

Then again, when the art-style of the game changes at and after the alien segment the game might be more appreciable. I'd also really suggest getting the Crysis "Natural" mod, since that also helps up the visual style without a performance hit. The difference is pretty amazing in itself.

Finally, what kind of freaking monster system do you have that can max out Crysis?

EDIT: Far Cry 2 is not the same engine. Ubisoft made a new engine called Dunia to power FC2.

subedii on
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    farcry 2 is the same engine, just a worse game.

UE3 tends to only really perform well with epic at the helm with large arenas, whereas what really impressed me about this is the constant HUGE scale.

Plus, when you're on the ship.

Farcry 2 runs on the Dunia engine.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I probably need to restart on the hardest difficulty to take advantage to the game. I'm only like 2 hours in.

And yeah, I'm probably looking at design. Those games don't have the same sort of terrain modification, either.
    subedii wrote: »
    Finally, what kind of freaking monster system do you have that can max out Crysis?

Dual core 3 ghz, 8800 GT video card, 4 gigs ram. I haven't been running fraps, but I'd estimate its a bit below 30 fps on very high with 2x AA. Starts to noticably chug with 4x.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I probably need to restart on the hardest difficulty to take advantage to the game. I'm only like 2 hours in.

I'd tend to say the game's at it's most fun at the hardest difficulty, though some people prefer it on an easier setting since it allows them to do more crazy stuff. Personally I found that facing off against tougher enemies forced me to improvise more and be a bit more devious. Doubly so when I did a no-cloak run (which I seriously recommend everyone should try at some point, it's awesome, and it really showed me just how much I was using cloak as a crutch instead of as a tactical weapon).
    Dual core 3 ghz, 8800 GT video card, 4 gigs ram. I haven't been running fraps, but I'd estimate its a bit below 30 fps on very high with 2x AA. Starts to noticably chug with 4x.

Are you running on widescreen resolutions? That might explain it, since I run it at 1440 x 900, so if you're running on a 4:3 then I could understand being able to max it out. As it stands for me, I had to do a fair amount of tweaking to get the game running smoothly at that resolution, and certainly couldn't max it out.

subedii on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    6800?

What?

Also didn't know that about dunia, I thought I remembered them saying it was the same

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Typo, 6800 was my old card, used to saying that. :P

Anyway, its actually 20 fps, and I'm running it 1440x900. You might not consider 20 fps "smooth", I usually don't, and I may adjust further. I'm probably just reacting to the jaggies, since I can't handle the AA way up, whereas its maxed out on Farcry 2 and UE 3 games.

I think I'll start a harder game, since its actually pretty fun even on normal, but I can see it being more tactically challenging on hard. The suit is less overpowering than I thought, though, only cloak is ridiculous. It only soaks a little damage.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Typo, 6800 was my old card, used to saying that. :P

Anyway, its actually 20 fps, and I'm running it 1440x900. I'm probably just reacting to the jaggies, since I can't handle the AA way up, whereas its maxed out on Farcry 2 and UE 3 games. I think I'll start a harder game, since its actually pretty fun even on normal.

Yeah, the jaggies can definitely bring the game visuals down, since there's leaves branches and trees everywhere. Maybe next gen I'll be able to put the AA up, max everything out and see the game at it's prime.

Having said all that though, the alien mothership is still one of the most amazing looking levels I've ever seen in an FPS.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm calling BS on being able to run very high across the board with a 8800GT, even a GTX would struggle with any sort of AA enabled at all

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on being able to run very high across the board with a 8800GT, even a GTX would struggle with any sort of AA enabled at all

Assuming you have the same processor/ram specs I have, give it a shot. Its definitely playable.

My PC was built after Crysis was released. I went cheap with the video card because there's nothing that really requires a super pricy one, and its easy to upgrade. The PC game I play most is WoW, heh. Only games that give me framerate drops are Warhammer (keep sieges) and Crysis.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If I recall correctly, turning AA on turns off a filter that they have to basically achieve AA appearance anyways, so 2x AA can actually make it look worse than none.

Also Far Cry 2 would look a lot better if they did the textures in a real image editing program and not MSPaint.

Seriously, look around in a car some time. It's pretty cool overall, but that texture work is bleeech

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have the GTS, which is a small step down from the GT, which is perftectly capable of running a mix of high/very high in the mid 20s, which like you said is perfectly playable. It's the AA which I'm skeptical about.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, turning AA on turns off a filter that they have to basically achieve AA appearance anyways, so 2x AA can actually make it look worse than none.

I may look into this, then. It didn't make it look much better, but I assumed it would be better than none. Generally you don't get much benefit till 4x, which lowers the framerate too much for my liking.

Also, I like how the game has AA options going way up to like 16x. What?
    I have the GTS, which is a small step down from the GT, which is perftectly capable of running a mix of high/very high in the mid 20s, which like you said is perfectly playable. It's the AA which I'm skeptical about.

Its only running 2x.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played very high with the 'hack' for DX10 features on 1600x1200 and had fairly consistent 30fps on my 8800GTX.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just finished playing Crysis again after playing Crysis Warhead last week. After reading some more comments in this thread my opinion for both games is that I wish they would forget about a cloak and amor mode. Also it could benefit from a lot less ammo... it's hard to see the point in going around and punching through walls to get to people or picking up any objects to throw.

I need the game to give me more reasons to use these abilities more often because they really are more fun than getting bogged down in the typical FPS playstyle.

For people like me... "well, just don't use cloak and it's more fun..." only goes so far. I believe it would be, but the game won't be more satisfying because I know there is something wrong with it. (Games are art)

splash on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man but you're so wrong how can you be that wrong

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crysis is the best looking game around. My argument?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZcocOFqSQ&eurl=http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/main/showthread.php?t=186229

(Well, it's a mod but even so.)

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I submit to you I've found in-game vistas more realistic than that.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To hell with your vistas; look at dat waterfall, man.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I restarted on the hardest difficulty, and wow, huge improvement. Feels more like the original Farcry, but with a working stealth system now. Except those damn boats see you no matter what. Otherwise, really fucking fun. Every guard has the potential to kill you.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just picked up both.

Is Crysis still supposed to be the benchmark for graphics, or has it moved on? I'm running it on very high with 2x AA and it looks good, but not unparalleled. Compared to say, Farcry 2 or UE 3 games it doesn't seem particularly special, visually.

What is pretty rad is the physics, though. Very cool stuff.

Are you playing Crysis or Warhead?

Crysis is much more advanced than Unreal and Far Cry's Dunia Engine.

Crysis has higher resolution textures and bump maps, ambient occlusion, sub surface scattering, DOF and high definition motion Blur, parallax mapping, destructible environments without the need for PhysX, soft shadowing, massive draw distancing and excellent LOD management, realistic shaders without making them look totally like plastic and so much more. The scale in which all of this is being done on is beyond any other engine out there.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I just picked up both.

Is Crysis still supposed to be the benchmark for graphics, or has it moved on? I'm running it on very high with 2x AA and it looks good, but not unparalleled. Compared to say, Farcry 2 or UE 3 games it doesn't seem particularly special, visually.

What is pretty rad is the physics, though. Very cool stuff.

Are you playing Crysis or Warhead?

Crysis is much more advanced than Unreal and Far Cry's Dunia Engine.

Crysis has higher resolution textures and bump maps, ambient occlusion, sub surface scattering, DOF and high definition motion Blur, parallax mapping, destructible environments without the need for PhysX, soft shadowing, massive draw distancing and excellent LOD management, realistic shaders without making them look totally like plastic and so much more. The scale in which all of this is being done on is beyond any other engine out there.

Also, not every color is a shade of brown.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    But seriously, because everything is ported from consoles nowadays, I doubt we'll see anything that rivals crysis graphically until a year into the next console generation

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    But seriously, because everything is ported from consoles nowadays, I doubt we'll see anything that rivals crysis graphically until a year into the next console generation

Well, if 10 million people didn't pirate it, maybe they'd make PC games. :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    did someone mention procedural plankton

also, shit, this is a nice mod.

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=31242

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The most impressive looking mod for Crysis I've seen so far has to be -

Eclipse

Looks really solid, but currently all that I've seen so far Z-brush models, nothing in game, but daaamn.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Eclipse

Looks really solid, but currently all that I've seen so far Z-brush models, nothing in game, but daaamn.

That link goes nowhere.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tehgils wrote: »

Eclipse

That link goes nowhere.

I was about to post this.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Eclipse

That link goes nowhere.

Here's the proper website.

And while Eclipse looks damn awesome, I'd have to say its quality is at least matched by LightSpire which also seems to be further along in development. (There's more media on it's Moddb profile.

Petrograd and MWLL also look pretty cool and actually have a chance of releasing relatively soon.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Eclipse

That link goes nowhere.

And while Eclipse looks damn awesome, I'd have to say its quality is at least matched by LightSpire which also seems to be further along in development. (There's more media on it's Moddb profile.

Petrograd and MWLL also look pretty cool and actually have a chance of releasing relatively soon.

Lightspire at least has some screens / art. The media page on that Eclipse doesn't even do anything yet. :x

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

Eclipse

That link goes nowhere.

Lightspire at least has some screens / art. The media page on that Eclipse doesn't even do anything yet. :x

Also, the eclipse page mentions that they're doing "make something unreal" contest thing, so I somehow doubt that it's really using CE2.

I've always been impressed by how great the early WIP shots from crysis mods look, especially compared to, say, source mods, in the similar timeframe from launch.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd love to know where the "Gary's Mod" for Crysis is. I played around in one of the Physis levels just messing with exploding barrels for like an hr yesterday. After playing in that for this long, the source engine and mods are looking pretty dated!

The mod tools for Crysis are really good too. I was able to go Korean Soldier bowling with a VTOS inside of 20mins. Fantastic!

DrunkMc on