As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E-PEEN ON] Devil May Cry 4 PC Demo and Benchmark! NSF56K

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why isn't this on steam? Who do I blame?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Judging by Capcom's supposed support of Steam, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Steam sometime in the near future. Exactly when though is anyone's guess. Shame because I really believe Steam could give it a boost. Most people probably aren't even aware that there is a PC port, let alone one that they actually got right.

subedii on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You blame Capcom. It's the publishers of games that decide whether their games are put on Steam. DMC3 is on Steam, so maybe it'll appear in the future.

Peewi on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is any online distro selling it?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is any online distro selling it?

Not that I know of.

Being the cave-dweller that I am I journeyed through frosted caves and over snow-capped mountains to my nearest game hut in order to obtain a copy.

They were all out of Spear Hero 4 though.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Finished the game.

So you know how they were saying that they'd use the extra processing power available to them to really ramp up the number of enemies in Legendary Dark Knight mode?

Yeah, they REALLY took that seriously.

This seems like quite a few enemies. It's not. The entire back alley area behind them is filled (literally FILLED) with these guys.

DMC4Legendary.jpg

This is in the little warehouse... after I er, thinned out their number a bit. Before then there was literally no spare room at all. Anywhere you swung a sword, it was going to hit something. It was like I had intruded upon some sort of ancient, demonic mosh pit.

DMC4Legendary2.jpg

One of the better shots I could get of massed enemies. Even then, more spawn in (you can see I already had to take care of some of them), and trust me, when you're in the thick of it, it seems like an even greater number still.

DMC4Legendary3.jpg

I think this is the best shot I could get that illustrates the kind of CRAZY numbers you're dealing with in the new mode. Even then, I think more were still spawning in there (especially the flying blade things). I count at least twenty enemies in this screenshot.

DMC4Legendary4.jpg

In the area where you first meet the frosts, instead of facing like, two or three, you face a dozen at once. AWESOME.

It was difficult for me to take any screenshots at all on Legendary Dark Night Mode. You stop attacking for a short period and you're swamped in goons. It's awesome, most of your area effect attacks are going to attack a a wall of enemies, either in front of you or around you. If you ran the benchmarker beforehand and made sure to tweak to get a good rating, then this all runs at a smooth clip as well, no slowdowns or jerkiness. Some really impressive work they did there.

It was surprisingly manageable though, at least in the third mission. I was racking up SSS's where before I'd be struggling for an A ranking. Even on mission 2 they were throwing Mega Scarecrows, Mephisto's (blue, wraith like creatures) and Bianco's (those armour things with lances) into the mix as well. Fortunately the Bianco's tend to attack demons as well if they're surrounded by them, so they don't overwhelm you when you're already overwhelmed.

Of course, how I might fare in later stages with the more intelligent / devious enemies being prolific is anyone's guess. Especially when I switch over to Dante and can't rely on the buster anymore.

subedii on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesus christ sub, I wasn't going to get this having got ps3 but just imagining what max act and exceed3 would do to a crowd like that is making me salivate visibly. I'm disturbing myself.

That last screenshot all I thought about was going devil trigger and throwing the flying sword things at other monsters and the sheer destruction the devil triggered version causes. Maaaaan.

For dante when you get a bit overwhelmed just quickly devil trigger and do a stinger, you'll clear out your immediate area. The pandora will also blast most creatures close to you away.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesus christ sub, I wasn't going to get this having got ps3 but just imagining what max act and exceed3 would do to a crowd like that is making me salivate visibly. I'm disturbing myself.
    This is exactly what I'm feeling. Except replace PS3 with 360. I guess salivate can stay. But from my penis. I didn't even know it could do that.

Monger on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jesus I started playing this now that it's out. Holy shit awesome.

Does Gloria ever to turn out to be anything other than Cheap sex appeal?

Also, new weapon entry into the "Manliest weapon ever" is the fuel-injected sword.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can't believe I forgot to take a screenie of my results. Oh well.

System specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 D 2.80 Ghz
    2 Gig RAM
    GeForce 9600GT

Running on:
    1280x720
    All settings set to Super High
    No MSAA
    DirectX 9.0c

Results: Got an S rank. Fluctuated a lot during the tests (going from 70fps-130 fps), but only dropped below 60fps twice during the fourth scene.

Very pleased with those results, but I'm still iffy on buying it on the PC (after having played it through on 360).

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think I've encountered my first major setback:

DMC4Legendary5.jpg
    Oh this looks bad...

DMC4Legendary6.jpg
    STOP DOING THAT!

DMC4Legendary7.jpg
    Aww son of a BLEARGHHG...
    Khavall wrote: »
    Does Gloria ever to turn out to be anything other than Cheap sex appeal?

No.

Well yes and no. There's more to her plotwise, but I don't think she really lifts the Cheap sex appeal label much.

Speaking of plot, is there any explanation as to why Nero has that arm in the first place? It's just "oh hey, he has this arm, now go do battle!"

Also:
    Who're the two girls hanging around Dante? I guess they're from previous games, so what's their story?

subedii on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    His arm got injured in a past battle.

"His arm got injured in a past battle and hey as a result he has this demon arm, now go do battle"

Basically.

Nero owns, so I don't give a damn.

Busters are civilisation.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a little late to the party on this, but, oh well.

I downloaded the demo and benchmark combo today, as I haven't really tested out my rig on anything for quite awhile. Here by my results at 1440x900, C16xQ AA and Super-High everything, no V-Synch:
    dmc4bm.jpg

Tried out the demo with my 360 controller and me likey, me likey lots. This puts yet another thing on my list to save up for and nab after PAX.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Who're the two girls hanging around Dante? I guess they're from previous games, so what's their story?

I refuse to tell you. Go play DMC and DMC3. Or hit up wikipedia. Whichever is more convenient.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I need to play dmc1 one of these days for the so called story. Which I already know.

I want to see the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight bit.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honestly I bought DMC a while ago and I can't even play it. The control scheme is all crazy and you can't completely reconfigure it. I know the story from watching a friend play through the whole game in one sitting.

DMC3 on the other hand, is still awesome. I think I might even prefer it to 4.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does this game require some insane specs or something? I can run Crysis and Mass Effect with no problem but DMC 4 just dies when there are a few enemies on the screen.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does this game require some insane specs or something? I can run Crysis and Mass Effect with no problem but DMC 4 just dies when there are a few enemies on the screen.

The opposite, I get 60fps on a laptop. Try updating your drivers/DirectX etc

Rook on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy shit, that new mode looks bad fucking ass, I wish theyd release a pack or an update for the 360 version cause DAMN, I almost got all the achievements I just had a couple uhh...whats the hardest difficulty mode...Iunno but I had a couple levels on that left to S rank and every single level wouldve been s ranked, but sadly I got new games and the 100 + hours on DMC4 were more than enough, but holy fuck Id give it another go for that new mode. In a fuckin instant.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

I refuse to tell you. Go play DMC and DMC3. Or hit up wikipedia. Whichever is more convenient.

Wikipedia it is then. I shall expect to discover a deep and multi-layered epic tale of betrayal and redemption which raises many searching questions in the reader as to the world and life in general.

mastrius wrote: »
    Holy shit, that new mode looks bad fucking ass, I wish theyd release a pack or an update for the 360 version cause DAMN, I almost got all the achievements I just had a couple uhh...whats the hardest difficulty mode...Iunno but I had a couple levels on that left to S rank and every single level wouldve been s ranked, but sadly I got new games and the 100 + hours on DMC4 were more than enough, but holy fuck Id give it another go for that new mode. In a fuckin instant.

It's kind of a PC exclusive. The couldn't realistically put that many enemies on-screen on the 360/PS3 versions and still maintain a consistent 60 FPS framerate.

With the PC you've got the better scalability (and in general on a gaming PC, better processor and more RAM), so they were able to go nuts with piling on the enemies. I really am impressed with how they have dozens of enemies in each scene and there's no slowdown. As long as you could run the benchmarker to a good framerate (the final scene in that is basically Nero being assaulted on all sides by dozens of enemies) then you're fine for the game. They did a really good job there.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rook wrote: »

The opposite, I get 60fps on a laptop. Try updating your drivers/DirectX etc

Any suggestion on where to start updating with that? DX10 and DX9 are equally horrible the instant there are more than two enemies on screen.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
    2.51 GHz Performance Rated at 7.20 GHz

System RAM
    2.0 GB

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (GeForce 8500 GT)

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 64-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Was DMC4 PC on sale (as in discounted price) at some point? I've probably missed it, but if by chance it's still going on, I did want to pick it up.

If not I will be content to wait for it to come to Steam.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's your card das edward. 8500 is a wheezing old geezer.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Was DMC4 PC on sale (as in discounted price) at some point? I've probably missed it, but if by chance it's still going on, I did want to pick it up.

If not I will be content to wait for it to come to Steam.

It's only just come out. Might be a while before it hits a price drop. Usually it's within around 3-6 months, depending on how popular the game is.

Screencaps can't really illustrate just how packed Legendary Dark Knight mode can feel. Fortunately some gameplay vids of LDK mode have been cropping up already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjepetu0Ag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_yzvf12DMU&feature=related

Click the links so that you can select the hi-res versions, otherwise it can be difficult to tell what's going on.

Pretty certain this guy is running has activated turbo mode as well, seems way too fast compared to when I did mission 1.

EDIT: This is good. Frosts at around 3 minutes, Smither's releases the hounds at 5:50, and the skies blacken with flying swords at 7:00. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCkFeHyLde4&feature=related

Again, hi-res in link. Otherwise you just tend to see indistinct orange blobs for the most part. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It has a motherfucking turbo mode.

GRGRGRGRRGR it's 70 bucks here I'm not buying it right now im not. *self control activate*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not talking price drop, just "weekend special!". Most games see some kind of deal on release with at least one retailer. I swear I read on this forum that DMC4 was on sale, but it's probably over now.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited July 2008

GRGRGRGRRGR it's 70 bucks here I'm not buying it right now im not. *self control activate*

LOLwhat?

You'd actually attempt Turbo mode?

Turbo mode is usually way out of my league in most console games. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Australia. New games are 70-99. New ps3 are 120.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

LOLwhat?

I can only play on turbo mode or else the game crawls

This is really disappointing I have nothing else to play.

Gah really? It's not even a year old. Fuck. But I just ran through Mass Effect on high without any problems. DMC 4 doesn't seem to be that intensive.

Sigh. I had a message pop up during the benchmark. Can you tell where it was?
    dmc4.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Turbo mode is pretty great.

LDK mode is freaking fantastic. Even playing level 2 on LDK mode is a way more efficient bit of instant action than getting up to like like level 80 or 90something in BP for the same amount of monsters.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited July 2008

LOLwhat?

I can only play on turbo mode or else the game crawls

This is really disappointing I have nothing else to play.

Gah really? It's not even a year old. Fuck. But I just ran through Mass Effect on high without any problems. DMC 4 doesn't seem to be that intensive.

Sigh. I had a message pop up during the benchmark. Can you tell where it was?
    dmc4.jpg

Those results are... weird.

You ought to be able to run the game fine, but the strangest thing is how you're getting framerate dips on Scene one, but scene 2 runs at mach speed. For everyone else it's the opposite. So wait, when you actually play the game, the framerate slows way beyond what's shown in the benchmark, is that correct? That's also pretty strange considering the benchmark seems to be pretty accurate for everyone else.

If you ran through Mass Effect OK as well, I really think you ought to be fine with that card. I don't think an 8500 is old, it should run most modern games fine, especially at the resolution you're on (if you weregoing for something like 1680 x 1050 then I might expect some framrate issues). I'm going to go with Rook here, are you sure your graphics drivers are up to date?

You can download updates from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

DirectX can be updated from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Only other possibility I can think of is that it might not like Vista 64, but from what I've been reading on the net, I doubt that that's the case.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The 8500 isn't old.

But it also isn't good.

NVidia GPUs are named SeriesModel00

So you have the low-mid-range model of the latest series of cards. It's not a gaming card.

At all.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The 8500 has crippled everything. Memory bandwidth especially, but also clock speeds on all components are nearly halved even from an 8600.

This is why I say it's a crippled old grandad. It has cerebral palsy. You should buy a new card Das.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Eh I can't afford a new card for a while. Just moved into a new place and rent is a dirty dirty whore. Would I get anything out of overclocking the card?

Oh and Subedii my results on scenes two and three are inaccurate because I received a message which caused the application to minimize while those scenes played. Dxdiag says i'm up to date and I updated the forceware last night but I haven't had a chance to see how the game plays since then.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't try to OC the card to much, yeah it is pretty low on the performance I would think somewhere close to a 7600gs or a 6600gt...mabye

The 8500gt is mainly used for HD playback as it is HDCP compatible - I don't know why they don't make all cards with this feature - but yeah your card isn't meant for gaming. It's got high texture memory but clock speeds and transistors are on the low side. The card wouldn't be able to take a large voltage change from the OC so I wouldn't try

EDIT: If it's from EVGA I would try to do the step-up program thing, it's a great little feature the company offers. I've used it once before and I had my new card in 4 days of sending my old one in!

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    I wouldn't try to OC the card to much, yeah it is pretty low on the performance I would think somewhere close to a 7600gs or a 6600gt...mabye

The 8500gt is mainly used for HD playback as it is HDCP compatible - I don't know why they don't make all cards with this feature - but yeah your card isn't meant for gaming. It's got high texture memory but clock speeds and transistors are on the low side. The card wouldn't be able to take a large voltage change from the OC so I wouldn't try

EDIT: If it's from EVGA I would try to do the step-up program thing, it's a great little feature the company offers. I've used it once before and I had my new card in 4 days of sending my old one in!

Is it bad that I don't recall the manufacturer of my video card?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ah, I have discovered something good.

Anyone else getting tired of the ultra-emo lyrics of the two main battle music tracks? Turns out the files are just ogg vorbis files with different extensions (exactly why they changed the extensions is beyond me). As such you can replace the battle music (or any other tracks) with your own.

One minor issue is that apparently the custom track that you replace the original track with is usually sped up by 1/10th for some reason, so you may want to edit the songs with a simple music editor beforehand to fix that.

More here:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/devilmaycry4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44156947&pid=938687

Since I'm happy with pretty much the rest of the music in the game, this is a better solution for me than simply turning off the music and running Foobar in the background.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

Is it bad that I don't recall the manufacturer of my video card?

I think the bigger problem is that you bought an 8500...

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    Turbo mode is pretty great.

LDK mode is freaking fantastic. Even playing level 2 on LDK mode is a way more efficient bit of instant action than getting up to like like level 80 or 90something in BP for the same amount of monsters.

I'm currently having problems getting past the double blitz, I got lucky the first time I managed to beat credo and somehow managed to do my full normal buster, buster, devil trigger buster, rose3, (jump around a bit) rose 3 but since then I get impatient trying to recreate it and get slaughtered.

I also got completely slaughtered by dante on that one run I got past them as well. I had 20 minutes on the goddam clock too. He did omen and I didn't react to it fast enough. :( It's an instant kill.

It's hard for me to keep the patience to concentrate on it for that long, I tend to have to do it in 45 minute spurts then take a break for a while, so one attempt is a whole day. Heh.

This is with nero, I can't work out how to kill stylishly and speedily at the same time with dante so I keep running out of time with him.

Morninglord on