As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wired 360 Controller w/ Vista

KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
'Aight, so I've got a question, and most of the googling I've done has come up with really outdated pages, and contradicted the hell out of each other.

If I were to get a 360 wired controller, and hook it up to my Vista rig, would it work plug+play with GFW games? Basically considering I'm looking at getting DMC4, and Assassins Creed keeps giving me the wrong button numbers on my old gamepad, and GeOW PC keeps giving me the wrong buttons, and all that shit. So has anyone had any experience just setting up the 360 wired to a PC?

Khavall on

• Options
    AlekisanAlekisan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    YES, you can also just buy the Xbox 360™ Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows®
    and you can use the controllers you already have and its cheaper.

Alekisan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Excellent. I don't have a wireless, but I keep getting GFW games and I hate the stupid logitech controller I have not working at all or working but I have to add/subtract a button number from whatever it tells me to press and even then there are problems and I really don't need wireless, so I figured I'd just pick up a wired and actually get compatibility.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah there plug and play...hell even some EA games are...prostreet plugged it in even changed the menus to have the xbox XABY buttons on there it was neat!

Dixon on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually, if you plan to use a 360 controller on your PC the wired version is a better option because you can get drivers that work a lot better than Microsoft's. The problem with MS' drivers is it considers the LT and RT as sliders along the same axis, meaning when you press both of them at the same time the effect is the same as if you had pressed neither.

I recommend going with XBCD. It allows you to set each trigger as a separate axis, along with several other functions MS doesn't give you, like re-calibrating the analog sticks or setting the 4 D-pad directions as separate buttons.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While that's true and XBCD is a neat piece of software, if the primary use of the 360 controller is for playing GFW and other XInput games, then it's less of a consideration.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's only a problem on older DirectInput games.

Which, I guess, is unfortunate, and Microsoft should have just set up their DirectInput driver to use the triggers as buttons (and add in a deadzone while they were at it) but hey, it's Microsoft.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I got it and was playing R6V with the controller, and even then it seemed fine keeping up when I was holding LT and pressing RT.

I do have a bit of a finnicky controller though, I guess it's what I get for going used, the cable sometimes decides it doesn't like the position I have it in and the controller replugs itself in.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    While that's true and XBCD is a neat piece of software, if the primary use of the 360 controller is for playing GFW and other XInput games, then it's less of a consideration.

That's just the biggest problem I had with the MS drivers, as it renders some games virtually unplayable. There's other stuff too.

XBCD :
    - allows you to set 12 digital buttons, rather than the 10 MS allows.
    - has multiple game profiles, that can be switched on the fly using the Silver X button. Especially useful for games with multiple types of vehicles.
    - allows button remapping.
    - allows custom stick sensitivity.
    - allows each rumble motor to be set differently.

Those might not seem like much, but once you use them it's hard to go back to the stock drivers.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do any of the drivers detect the half-presses as separate inputs from full-presses on the trigger buttons?

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can XBCD get rumble to work in DirectInput games? I tried it with Rayman 3 and I couldn't get it to work.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do any of the drivers detect the half-presses as separate inputs from full-presses on the trigger buttons?

I think Pinnacle does that, but it costs money.

Daedalus on