As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Incredible Hulk game... it's no U.D. (Reviews up)

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh....so I rented this today, played it up until Abomination (I had some free time....DON'T JUDGE ME!). And I can't beat him. I can't even damage the bastard. I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong?

Error on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe I'm just not that hard to please, but I'm about two hours in, and I'm really digging this game. Definitely satisfying my thirst for a prettier Ultimate Destruction.

Wall-grabbing? Maybe not as cool and fluid as wall running, but makes more sense.

Stomp the peak of the Empire State Building, then race its falling remains to the ground? Hell yes.

Hockey-pucking pedestrians across the streets? I think I'll indulge.

To me, Edward Norton is amazing, even phoned in.

Again, maybe I'm too forgiving. Maybe I want to like this game more than I should. But I think it's awesome so far. And I loved every second of UD.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Error wrote: »
    Ugh....so I rented this today, played it up until Abomination (I had some free time....DON'T JUDGE ME!). And I can't beat him. I can't even damage the bastard. I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong?
    I won't judge you. Do a hard-hard-hard combo, fully charging each strike until his fists glow green and it uses up a cell of rage. It'll stun him.

Zephonate, I believe it's infinitely better to like something, as a general rule. But in my head, the conversation about Ed Norton's VO went like this:

-he sounds thoroughly bored of everything
    -maybe he's in character
    -but without a camera pointed at him to capture his intense expressions, it's just bored sounding words. Is it a movie star thing?
    -no, Sam Jackson was awesome in San Andreas
    -then this VO was part of his contract with the new Hulk movie and Norton a) didn't like having to do it or b) was bored of banner by then?
    -I'd buy that

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sorry for 2 posts when 1 would do (small PS3 field), but I gotta' add two things:

My biggest beef with the new game is that the combat is servicable at best, but the second-biggest is definetly the boss encounters. I constantly found myself remembering the epic battle against the first giant Hulkbuster, or the epic-er battle against the mega-giant-giant Hulkbuster, or the crazy fights with Abomination. Even that telekinetic goth woman was a well-designed, fun battle. In Incredible Hulk all the boss fights are just a new enemy, and you have to find out what move in your repetoire will stun them so you can do damage.

And Renzo, I got nothin' but respect for you, but you can't tell me that longer jumps and (pretty robust) unlockables salvage what is, pretty much, just another movie tie-in game. Don't get me wrong Zephonate, I am glad someone likes it - I guess I'm just sorry it isn't me.

Chance on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So this is a rental at best? What's up with Sega making mediocre Marvel games? I mean c'mon.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    They fucked up Iron Man and now they fucked up Hulk.

I hope Marvel fucks them up.

Stupid cheap cash in bastards.
    It's very unlikely Marvel will approach them again when the next batch of films rolls around.

Hopefully Marvel can worm out of Thor and Cap side of the contracts.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man sucks that this game is not at all good, but it's great because now I'm registering for Ebay just so I can buy Ultimate Destruction. THANKS G&T!

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You've convinced me not to get Incredible Hulk, but now I really really want Ultimate Destruction.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shabutie wrote: »
    Man sucks that this game is not at all good, but it's great because now I'm registering for Ebay just so I can buy Ultimate Destruction. THANKS G&T!
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    You've convinced me not to get Incredible Hulk, but now I really really want Ultimate Destruction.

Really, Ultimate Destruction is very good. It's soooo satisfying to just run around and smash crap into the ground.

The mega thread we had on it a while ago totally convinced me to get it. In fact, it was like the first game I got on Goozex.

I'd recommend using Goozex to get it as you'll probably get it in a better condition than on eBay.

Here's my whore link: Goozex.com. If you sign up you'll get 100 points and a trade credit (which amounts to a free game).

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shabutie wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, it has its moments - but for me personally, 100% of those involved throwing cars at helicopters, and I have to admit it was much, much more satisfying in UD. Ultimate Destruction is seriously worth a purchase. Renzo's right that there are neat little touches like unlockable skins and locations from the marvel universe (I thought Stark Tower and the Daily Bugle were pretty cool to have in there), but all the unlockables and little touches don't make up for boring gameplay.
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Good and good. This whole thread was worth it.

So this is a rental at best? What's up with Sega making mediocre Marvel games? I mean c'mon.

I'd like to hear Scarab sound off on the question of Sega's recent track record, I'm sure he has better insight than I - off the top of my head, I'd say Sega's been around for long enough to know you can make a mediocre game with a big-name protagonist (Hulk/Iron Man) and it'll probably sell a reasonable amount of copies based on the name alone (though with today's production costs I really can't say).

I would say rental if you're interested at all - Zephonate seems to be digging it, and his opinion isn't worth less than mine.

Chance on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks very much for the review, I really enjoyed it. It's a shame that this game turned out like it did. Seems an awful lot like Iron Man...a fantastic character model, and awful lot of promise, all wrapped up in mediocre gameplay and presentation.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    another thanks for the good review. You really did save UD fans the money on purchasing this inadequate title. I'll be more than happy just playing through UD again.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »

I'd like to hear Scarab sound off on the question of Sega's recent track record, I'm sure he has better insight than I - off the top of my head, I'd say Sega's been around for long enough to know you can make a mediocre game with a big-name protagonist (Hulk/Iron Man) and it'll probably sell a reasonable amount of copies based on the name alone (though with today's production costs I really can't say).

I would say rental if you're interested at all - Zephonate seems to be digging it, and his opinion isn't worth less than mine.

You have a point. Make an Iron Man game, make him fly and shoot stuff = $$$. Make a Hulk game, make him hit things and break stuff = $$$. That really shouldn't be the case, though. I've never been a huge fan of movie games, because they almost always suck, but it just hurts a little more when you take something I'm a huge fan of, and make it suck. I'll probably still play it, but it's going to be a GameFly rental, and not a purchase.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I didn't see any reviews popping up for the game, I figured it was just the usual suck. Your great review confirmed that.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They probably pushed them out the door to launch alongside the movie, jerks. If the game isn't ready tehy could have at least held it until the DVD release of the movie.
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

It's very unlikely Marvel will approach them again when the next batch of films rolls around.

I will fire bomb SEGA if they make a horrible Captain America game.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They should get the license to do a game of the Atlus Shrugged film that's out next year.

It could be an FPS.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They probably pushed them out the door to launch alongside the movie, jerks. If the game isn't ready tehy could have at least held it until the DVD release of the movie.
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

I will fire bomb SEGA if they make a horrible Captain America game.

Man I don't see how they could screw up these two games so bad. I mean Iron Man I would of made kinda like armored core in terms of upgrades and shit like that, and the flying was so retarted. It was just way to sensitive and hard to get a grip of where you were. I mean it's be done well in so many other games it makes be want to snap there god damn necks. I haven't played the new Hulk yet, but I'm writing that one off as another reason to kill the entity which is Sega.

Dixon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What was the last good non-Wii game that Sega published?

Couscous on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved Iron Man personally. The flying was fantastic when you got the hang of it. When I played the demo, I wrote it off as inferior to Supermans, but after playing with it for a while, I really enjoyed it. It was a lot more interactive. In Superman (which only had good flying and that was about it), you just fly straight, maybe moved aside for a building, and flew straight into stuff. In Iron Man you have to do the strafing and the rolls and switching between hovering and flight and boost mode and rolling, etc. It was just a lot more active.
    And I liked the game itself a lot, though when you play anything above easy it goes from fun to tedious because there is just SO much incoming fire that you simply can't dodge it all.

That said, I can understand why people don't like it, but I enjoyed the hell out of. Only game I've come anywhere close to all 1000 points (damn you, final achievement).

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

The Club

Condemned/Condemned 2

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

The Club

Condemned/Condemned 2

Yes. I would also add Sega Rally Revo to that list, but that's not for everyone.

brynstar on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

The Club

Condemned/Condemned 2

Isn't Condemned 2 the game where the main character has "perfectly evolved vocal chords"?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm playing the first one atm, just going on what I have heard about the sequel.

LewieP on
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got this game expecting some sweet UD style action and it really is a sloppy mess. You have zero fun trying to upgrade your guy, no point in even going all out HULK!!! if the upgrades are garbage. The first level/training section has the worlds most horrible camera. Why do that for the intro of your game? I don't know. Maybe a little more playtime will yield fun but for right now, thank you so much for kicking me in the balls because I trusted the hype and believed this to be a graphically updated Hulk UD.

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    nihil wrote: »
    I got this game expecting some sweet UD style action and it really is a sloppy mess. You have zero fun trying to upgrade your guy, no point in even going all out HULK!!! if the upgrades are garbage. The first level/training section has the worlds most horrible camera. Why do that for the intro of your game? I don't know. Maybe a little more playtime will yield fun but for right now, thank you so much for kicking me in the balls because I trusted the hype and believed this to be a graphically updated Hulk UD.

This is exactly the kind of tragedy I was hoping to avoid >.< sixty bucks!

Chance on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    look I'm sorry but you guys should've seen this coming

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    look I'm sorry but you guys should've seen this coming
    Limed for truth. But...

Fools can still dream...sadgabeoj5.jpg

Chance on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, there was always the outside shot that it would be good even though it was from a different developer. I've always believed that every game, or piece of art for that matter, deserves a fair shot. If it turns out to be sub-par, then so be it, but I'm sure they didn't set out to make garbage.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

The Club

Condemned/Condemned 2

Yes. I would also add Sega Rally Revo to that list, but that's not for everyone.

I really liked Sega Superstars Tennis. Then again, it wasn't a MOVIE.

But it could be...

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Sorry for 2 posts when 1 would do (small PS3 field), but I gotta' add two things:

My biggest beef with the new game is that the combat is servicable at best, but the second-biggest is definetly the boss encounters. I constantly found myself remembering the epic battle against the first giant Hulkbuster, or the epic-er battle against the mega-giant-giant Hulkbuster, or the crazy fights with Abomination. Even that telekinetic goth woman was a well-designed, fun battle. In Incredible Hulk all the boss fights are just a new enemy, and you have to find out what move in your repetoire will stun them so you can do damage.

And Renzo, I got nothin' but respect for you, but you can't tell me that longer jumps and (pretty robust) unlockables salvage what is, pretty much, just another movie tie-in game. Don't get me wrong Zephonate, I am glad someone likes it - I guess I'm just sorry it isn't me.

I'm not arguing about your opinion of the game at all. Just sayin' is all. *shrug*

Renzo on
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is my opinion that the game's hype was misleading. If it had just been UD with updated graphics then by goody I would have been happy. The open world aspect, the nicer graphics are fun but with less ways to manipulate that world and your character within that world it just feels like less of a game. Also the horrible camera at the opening sequence of the game, where it keeps trying to smash through the roof of the warehouse you are in, sigh. Hulk does smash but I guess nostalgia got the better of me, I replayed UD before this to get my Hulk juice flowing. It isn't a terrible game, it just isn't the game I wanted and I don't know who to blame. (maybe me?)

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    captmorgancaptmorgan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I must be a little sick...I`m actually enjoying myself a great deal with this game. For some reason climbing up to the top of a building then throwing those robot suit guys into the next building never gets old.
    Maybe I didn`t play UD enough but I like climbing the buildings better then running up it. Jumping from the roof of one building, then smashing into the side of the next and climbing up it just feels right.
    The only two things that kind of annoying me right now are that you can`t grab the armored vehicle's that attack you and when you grab metal rod, even though it looks like you through it like a spear it doesn`t impale the enemy. I really wanted to nail a guy to a building.

While I was playing a thought did occur to me, why hasn`t a developer made a super hero game with open destructible environments. Allow players to build/customize there characters with what ever powers they want. And just drop them off with say 4-8 friends online. No story needed, just let them kick the crap out of each other in the most over the top way possible. (Pick up a lamp post and bat another player half across the map.) Co-op could just be fighting off hordes of what ever, throw in a overly powerful boss and have everyone hack away at it. Thats all I want, no story, no progression, experience points.

captmorgan on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know I'm playing UD again and I totally forgot how awesome the intro tutorial is.

God this game is so good. Lets turn this into a full on Ultimate Destruction topic!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is already a full UD topic

Error on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That one's old and busted. I'm talking about a new hot UD thread!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah it's 'Ultimate Destruction is the best game ever made' or something like that. Maybe they use the 'superhero game' qualifier, which makes it a limeable statement of truth.

There's no reason not to proclaim your love for UD in this thread, I think. True, Ultimate Destruction isn't the title or topic of the thread, but the topic of the thread is well-served by simply saying 'It's no Ultimate Destruction - now that was an awesome game!"

Edit: Well... I could spice up the OP with some UD material... but I don't think that other thread's as dead as we think. Look at the 2-month old, 2-page God of War 2 thread that suddenly reappeared.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Plus I don't think people should dwell on a shitty hulk game when theres a good hulk game available.

Oh has anyone tried the DS version of the new hulk game? Might be better like with Spiderman 3.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Plus I don't think people should dwell on a shitty hulk game when theres a good hulk game available.

Oh has anyone tried the DS version of the new hulk game? Might be better like with Spiderman 3.

Yeah I want to see how it turned out. It was made by Amaze, and it looks like it's a 2D action-platformer with 3D-rendered Hulk and enemies. The screens on IGN look nice anyway.

Renzo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I found something hilarious. While everyone in this thread is saying how much better UD is than this game, Tim Buckley has this to say:
    So I'm happy to report that The Incredible Hulk game is damned good. It's basically Ultimate Destruction 2, which is exactly what I'd hoped for.

There are certain less-than-stellar aspects, and I'll get them out of the way first. Basically all voice acting and every cutscene is... how to put this gently... HORRIBLE. I mean, really, they're pretty bad. Which is surprising to me, because the voices are provided by the film actors, and they are some very respectable actors, Edward Norton, William Hurt, Tim Roth. It sounds like they read their lines while on tranquilizers or something.

Fortunately, the cutscenes don't detract from the rest of the game, which is all gravy. Tons of destruction, tons of cool combos, moves and secrets to unlock, lots of collectibles to find, etc. The graphics are pretty good, and New York City is really impressive. Not GTA4-impressive, but still pretty nice.

If you liked Ultimate Destruction, or just want to take control of the Hulk and wreck some shit, I'd recommend this game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buckleeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.