As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Incredible Hulk game... it's no U.D. (Reviews up)

13»

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haha, that's fantastic.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...there is great evil in the hearts of men. I keep scanning Metacritic and GameRankings to see if any other major site has reviewed the new game - and just kept on being disappointed.

"It's not a huge major release, I know," I thought, "But don't these sites have a goddamned service to provide? Shouldn't they be warning people that this game sucks ass?"

Finally just now I check again - IGN gave it a 6.0 and Team Xbox gave it a 6.5. I'll link 'em into the OP later.

"Damn good"? "Tons of cool combos"? I wanna' find whatever game he's playin'. Ugh!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now I'm just really sad that I never played UD. Can I play it on my 360?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now I'm just really sad that I never played UD. Can I play it on my 360?

Yes, accoding to Renzo (pg2) it suffers from a touch of slowdown and it runs at 720p.

Chance on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Like, an unplayable touch of slowdown? I could care if it runs at 480i. I just wanna play it! D:

(I'll go find his post.)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im currectly playing UD on 360, and havnt noticed any glitches to speak of. Never played it on oxbox however.

I dont really like the running up the walls thing in UD. Its speedy and works well, but i dunno, i dont think its the Hulk's style. The newer grab climb mechanism sound more fitting. Leave the wall running to Spidey kplz.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One of the things the Dev team for UD wanted to provide was a real sense of momentum or 'unstoppable movement'. It's no stretch to imagine the Hulk could wall run horizontally, so vertically isn't asking for much beyond that - and it certainly provided the feel the dev team was after.

I'll admit the wall-climbing of Incredible Hulk is more realistic - maybe that's why it doesn't work for me. It's way more fun to pick up a bus, tear up the side of a building and toss it into the horizon than have my hands free and clamber up. Beyond that, while the wall-climbing seems a lot slower than the running, it counter-intuitively offers far less control. But I knew about the climbing before I tried this new one out - it's the combat that sinks it for me.

Chance on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The fact that no major sites have reviewed it till now? Bad, bad sign. That means Sega knew they had a pile o' poo on their hands and didn't bother sending out review copies.

Anyway, IGN just reviewed it, and the verdict is:

The Incredible Hulk is pretty much a straight sequel to Ultimate Destruction. Trouble is, Edge of Reality took out far more than it added. Though Hulk is a serviceable game that can be enjoyed over a weekend, it feels outdated. If you are a die-hard Hulk fan or the type who loves destroying treasured landmarks, then The Incredible Hulk is at least worth a rental.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/880/880366p1.html

So yeah, it's sounding like UD minus a lot of the fun.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    UD had wall climbing but no one used it because it was slow and boring compared to wall running.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Superb review Chance, I enjoyed it immensely. Once again I am reminded that I really do need to play Ultimate Destruction though.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    UD had wall climbing but no one used it because it was slow and boring compared to wall running.

Yeah I was just going to say this, Wall Running>Wall Climbing. It just felt like you were a Mack truck crush people's shit. Sigh...I want to try the new Hulk but I don't feel like being dissapointed today

Dixon on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    captmorgan wrote: »
    While I was playing a thought did occur to me, why hasn`t a developer made a super hero game with open destructible environments. Allow players to build/customize there characters with what ever powers they want. And just drop them off with say 4-8 friends online. No story needed, just let them kick the crap out of each other in the most over the top way possible. (Pick up a lamp post and bat another player half across the map.) Co-op could just be fighting off hordes of what ever, throw in a overly powerful boss and have everyone hack away at it. Thats all I want, no story, no progression, experience points.

You may want to play: War of the Monsters

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/482/482067.html

That game is pretty much what you described, except for making your own hero you can choose from 6-8 monsters. It’s a split screen game. You can break buildings, rip up antennas throw them at your enemy, and if they are fast enough they can catch it and throw it back. Pick up cars and tanks and hurl them too. Graphics are solid, the split screen works really well, when players are far apart the screen splits but when they are near its one screen. Fun game.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let me ask you this - if you never played UD, is the new Hulk game worth a go for a rental? I'm going to play UD one way or the other with the way everyone is talking about it, just wondering if this game is worth the rental?

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Like, an unplayable touch of slowdown? I could care if it runs at 480i. I just wanna play it! D:

(I'll go find his post.)

It's more than just playable. The slight slowdown is probably unnoticeable if you never played it on an Xbox, and some would call me nitpicky for even saying that. You can play UD on the 360 with confidence.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let me ask you this - if you never played UD, is the new Hulk game worth a go for a rental? I'm going to play UD one way or the other with the way everyone is talking about it, just wondering if this game is worth the rental?

Why not? If you play it and like it, UD will blow you away. If you don't like it, UD will still blow you away.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

If you've never played UD, the new game would be the best Hulk game ever made. It's better than the Iron Man game - all that said? Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have blown the money on a rental to play the new one. Aside from jumping from skyscrapers, it was just never much fun. You could keep that pocket change and put it towards a used copy of Ultimate Destruction.

Without playing UD, you could have... a little fun with the new game. But it's never awesome, never great, never better-than-average.

Chance on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Guys is the GC version of UD any good? I can get it for 20 euros, should I go for it? I also have a 360/PS3, should I go for the Oxbox/Ps2 version and play it on BC or just Cube it?

Noray on
  • Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Noray wrote: »
    Guys is the GC version of UD any good? I can get it for 20 euros, should I go for it? I also have a 360/PS3, should I go for the Oxbox/Ps2 version and play it on BC or just Cube it?

Cube version is fine. No problems, glitches or bugs with the copy I've got when played on either the cube or a Wii.

Get it.. Reason #87 - You can attack buses with civilians.

Track Nine on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So will this new game be cool to someone who has never played UD? I remember being late to the party when UD came out, and read a developer interview that mentioned the desire to do a next-gen version of the engine. That made me wait for this game, and totally sit out UD.

TL/DR: Will a Hulk game virgin be satisfied with Incredible?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    What was the last good non-Wii game that Sega published?

The Club

Condemned/Condemned 2

Isn't Condemned 2 the game where the main character has "perfectly evolved vocal chords"?

If you haven't played it, you don't get to piss on it.

That's not a rule for everything, but Condemned 1 and 2 are awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Im currectly playing UD on 360, and havnt noticed any glitches to speak of. Never played it on oxbox however.

I dont really like the running up the walls thing in UD. Its speedy and works well, but i dunno, i dont think its the Hulk's style. The newer grab climb mechanism sound more fitting. Leave the wall running to Spidey kplz.

Yeah, I just finished it on the 360 not long ago. Didn't notice any problems with it.

I would agree with you on the wall-running thing but since I had endless hours of fun playing UD, I can't. Maybe it makes more sense in keeping with the characters or some sense of reality but the games created such a great atmosphere of never once giving a shit about the things around you, I can't imagine having a wall stop the player.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I liked that UD used both wall-running and wall-climbing. They both made sense (you think Hulk doesn't have enough strength in his toes to haul himself up a wall?) and actually each got a good amount of use from me. Wall-grab/climbing was great if I was falling out of the sky (having just kicked a helicopter into another helicopter) and managed to grab onto a building - great feeling. And as people have mentioned, wall-running was just good for non-stop destruction momentum. It's really an awesome sight to see Hulk tearing down the street with fighter jets chasing him, run up a building while charging a jump, take a flying leap off the top of that building and grab the jet. Phenomenal.

And now I'm really sad I sold that game.

Although on second thought, most of my games just got stolen, so I would have lost it anyway. Silver lining!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So will this new game be cool to someone who has never played UD? I remember being late to the party when UD came out, and read a developer interview that mentioned the desire to do a next-gen version of the engine. That made me wait for this game, and totally sit out UD.

TL/DR: Will a Hulk game virgin be satisfied with Incredible?

Fuck this game, go find UD. Apparently it's vastly more fun and cheaper to boot. Reviews are indicating this is a seriously watered-down version of UD.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    alright im convinced to buy U.D. now

I see that its backwards compatible on the 360, does it have any problems running?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    According to pg.4, it runs just fine on a 360 with some barely-noticeable slowdown. I'm gonna' have to put that in the OP.

Chance on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Still playing. Still enjoying.

Someone said it best earlier in this thread, I forget who. "If Ultimate Destruction had never existed, this would be the greatest Hulk game ever made", or something to that affect. I believe this is 100% true. I'm continuing to love this game, but if UD had never appeared on this Earth, the game would indeed be infinitely better.

I like the prettier graphics. I like the slightly more realistic (ignoring the mere PREMISE of the game) aspects to the formula, such as wall grabbing and less over-the-top moves. I like the physics and the level of sheer destruction possible.

I know I'm in the vast minority here (has anyone else in this thread actually liked the game besides me?). But to me, I think this game's few shortcomings are outweighed by its plusses -collecting landmark tokens for destroying pieces of NYC history is a good example.

Also, the single most important aspect of any Hulk game is being met a thousandfold in this title. It's the reason why hockey-pucking civilians is so fun. It's why we love thrust-punching a U.S. soldier through a hot dog stand, killing twelve people on the opposite street corner in the process.

Hulk is still an asshole.

All is right with the world.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've played UD on both the oXBox and the 360 and if anything it's better on the 360. It supports widescreen and everything.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So a little more time with the Hulk game has shown me that it can be played but I am having a hard time chaining my destruction, in UD when you started tearing shit up it felt kind of like when you pulled off a complete level grind in the early tony hawks. You have all these moves available and all sorts of possibilities yet in the new game (the destruction does look cooler) it just doesn't feel like the combat flows. Running around the city is fun but since this game has decided it wants me to hate it it began to freeze. The game locks up right after events but right before the autosave and the only solution is not more cow bell, it is a system reset and replay whatever. It did it three times during one hour. I am giving this disc one more shot before I send it off into the internet. BTW early on in the thread someone asked for and another person mentioned War of the Monsters on ps2. Everyone should get that game. It is not open world smash smash like UD but the characters are AWESOME and the fighting is cool as hell.

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For those of you interested in the DS version...gameplay vid up at Gametrailers

Chance on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scanning through Xbox Live today I see that the new Hulk game has a free multiplayer expansion pack download. I don't own the game but to sum up the description, "two-player missions that will test the speed, strength, and skill of even the biggest Super Hero fan. The missions take place in one of 5 large arenas, each one a dynamic and fully destructible environment packed with non stop action and ruthless enemies."

If anyone has Hulk I'd love to hear impressions on this.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does it say if it's split screen or online?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Online only.

Renzo on