As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Birds (pg9)

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks great! I'm not sure I would have made he neck so long, but that might just be opinion. And her right heel looks kind of weird. It dips in at the top of the shoes, and I don't think that's right.

Sublimus on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Proportions look good, but the face isn't quite there. Looking at Rockwell's work would behoove you.

Tam on
  • (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You get bonus points for making her a ginger kid.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm not going for rockwell's realistic style though tam, i'm going for like, froot loops advert style
    cartoons, not realistic illustrations.
    and sub: i will fix all that stuff at work tomorrow, thanks!

beavotron on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I can tell immediately what style you're going for, and so far it seems to work great

the only thing that throws me off is her right hand (on our left). Is that her palm, or the back of her hand, or... it is confusing the way it's rendered.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can tell immediately what style you're going for, and so far it seems to work great

the only thing that throws me off is her right hand (on our left). Is that her palm, or the back of her hand, or... it is confusing the way it's rendered.
    Well, it would have to be the back given the direction of the thumb...

It's cool to see these drawings of people. I'm so used to either VG art or animals. For the sake of being able to make out the drawings, I would suggest using PS's Levels tool to clean up the pictures. The gray/smudgy paper backgrounds and erased chunks made me kind of just glance over them without paying much attention for some reason when I looked the first time. The drawing is easier to take in when there's more contrast/the lines are crisper.

Also, switching the images to grayscale so the lines are gray rather than red.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You need freckles beavo, every single girl and boy in the 50's had little red feckles on and/or around their nose.....must've been all the exposure to above ground nuclear testing.

Mustang on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Beautiful!

(I'm only complimenting you so you feel awkward about it.)

desperaterobots on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I came here expecting advertisements... though I am saddened, the awesome drawings and funny dinosaurs make up for it.

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2008
    Beautiful!

(I'm only complimenting you so you feel awkward about it.)

i feel so awkward

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    i'm not going for rockwell's realistic style though tam, i'm going for like, froot loops advert style
    cartoons, not realistic illustrations.
    and sub: i will fix all that stuff at work tomorrow, thanks!

Well no, I meant that he's got the shape I think you're looking for. Sorry, should've been clearer on that.

You were talking about something like this, right?

Cartoon.jpg

If yes, I think her face warrants a little more detail. Or maybe not I don't know about my opinions any more.

Tam on
    edited July 2008
    Do you draw those full figure sketches from reference Beav? I ask because I'm utterly terrible at drawing ladies ... well, full figures in general, but if I GIS a decent reference I can usually come out with some pretty good results.

Alternatively just email me your brain, c/o desperate robots industries dot com.

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2008
    Do you draw those full figure sketches from reference Beav? I ask because I'm utterly terrible at drawing ladies ... well, full figures in general, but if I GIS a decent reference I can usually come out with some pretty good results.

Alternatively just email me your brain, c/o desperate robots industries dot com.

hahah naw i don't usually use references for anything which is TERRIBLE on my part because I've got some pretty dirty habits that need breaking.
    like i never do really dynamic poses.
    I should really just start using references, I bet my work would become mega better.

Tam: no that's still not it either,
    this is closer: crispycrunchies-final.jpg

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    Sugar Charged. Wow. Americans sure know how to eat.

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2008
    hahah that one's actually a fake box made my a pretty swanky artist.

here's attempt 2, I think I'm getting closer to the style I'm heading for:
    boyandgirl.png

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    Oh gosh they're just so perfect. Maybe the colours are a little too saturated and could stand to maybe be pushed a little more into pastel territory?

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2008
    Oh gosh they're just so perfect. Maybe the colours are a little too saturated and could stand to maybe be pushed a little more into pastel territory?

kinda funny thing about that actually, my IT guy here at work did some sort of upgrade on my version of CS3. Now it won't let me just save it as a png, i have to save for web then save as a 24-bit png, which ends up really saturating the colors.
    Does anyone know of a fix for this? it's annoying the crap out of me and I refuse to save in a file format as lossy as JPEG.
    might be time for me to switch to TGA but can web browsers handle those?

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    Ooooooh ok. That was stupid of me.

Yeah, these are awesome. Especially the two kids standing together.:^:

Tam on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is this Illustrator? Because if it is, I'm dying to know how you make that textured paper.

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2008
    nope this is all photoshop
    i'm taking a step back from illustrator for a while
    i feel that photoshop and i need to get better acquainted.

beavotron on
  • KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    do you start with textured paper, or add it in another way?

It always interests me when I see the awesome textures that some of you guys are able to have; and I'm always left wondering if it's brush strokes, a filter, or something else entirely.

Kunkoh on
    edited July 2008
    I add it in afterwards

Here is my method:

1. Draw sketch in photoshop

2. Trace sketch with pen tool

3. do any shading by tracing off the sections i want shaded with the selector tool, then using some custom brushes i have.

4. apply texture.
    To do this, I take the texture that I want to use (usually from cgtextures.com) and put it in the bottom layer, I put a fill layer over top of that of whatever color I want to use, set it to multiply and about 75% opacity. This give me the background.

for the overlay texture I simply put the texture layer on the topmost layer, set it to overlay or multiply, whatever looks better given the situation, then i set the opacity as low as i need to make it look the way i want. I like subtlety, so I usually set it pretty low.

5. As a finishing touch, I add just a tiny bit of noise filter to the characters. It makes them look all old-fashionedy.

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    *releases sleeping gas into thread*

Now her secrets are mine!

I pretty much never, ever play with texture when I work in photoshop. This is bad. I'm going to start playing around with it.

desperaterobots on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good work Beard-O-Tron!

PROX on
  • KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks much for the info Beav. Will have to play around with that some.

Kunkoh on
    edited July 2008
    I am really digging this old Mary Blair-esque style.
    crits plz!

foxrabbit.png

beavotron on
  • Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited July 2008
    As always your line work and use of colors is great.

But I have to ask ...

Do you ever challenge yourself with respect to angle and perspective?

Most of your works are all straight on 90 degree side or front shots ... and while the art is clean and sexy and you have a great handle of composition, the rather stagnant angles leave one with a sense of lost expectation ...

Especially in an "action" scene with movement and the suspence of a chase ...

In this scene in particular ... for something ubber dramatic Id go in frint of the rabbit and down towards ground level like how an ant on a blade of grass my view them charging towards and ultimately over him ... or above them both and off to the side like how a baby bird in a nest above them might view them ... these perspectives also allow you to mess with foreground possabilities to cut into the scene like branches twigs leaves grass etc ... to break up the scene and lend some drama to it

Youre far to good an artist to not explore perspectives more

Castle_Builder on
    edited July 2008
    I disagree on this particular piece about the perspective. It is in a certain style- a style not known for its dynamism. I agree that it might do some good to explore perspective and angle, but beavotron here is damn strong on the classic illustrative style that seems to bank on composition and character.

Duder, I think this new series is some of the most cohesive stuff you've got- you really nailed this style. The only tiny little nitpick I've got is that maybe the bunny should be a smidge farther away from the fox.

I wish I could offer you something helpful, but I can't.
    EDIT: Maybe I can- the hill on the fox's side looks like it needs a few of those flowers, compositionally.

Tam on
    edited July 2008
    castle builder: you make some very great points about improving my work in general and you are of course, completely right, my entire body of work is laking in dynamic posing and composition. Dynamic poses are actually probably at this point in the game, my biggest weakness. I don't think it would work so much with this style, as Tam pointed out, this is one that puts a big push on character and composition, but I do think that I will try posting some work in the future taking your advice into consideration. It would really be quite the challenge for me, but I'm always up for a challenge!

Tam: great tips, I'll mess around with it a bit later!
    Thanks guys!

edit: Taking Tam's advice:
    foxrabbit2.png

thoughts?

beavotron on
    edited July 2008
    New one!
    I are on a roll

This is an idea I had a long time ago
    but I never got around to doing it and I think this style that i've been playing around with suits it quite well.
    I listened to Andrew Bird's A Mysterious Production of Eggs while I made it, and I think it ended up influencing me somewhat. Such a great album.

owlboy.png

beavotron on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    beavotron,

I really, really love this style you're working with.

gredavin on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm digging this new stuff, I'm having a little troubble coming up with any real crits so this will have to do.

for my tastes if I'm going to abstract a form I'm also going to exaggerate.

also if i'm working mostly with a silhouette I'm going to try and make it exciting.

the works currently have a very mellow look, for this kind of work i guess i prefer it to have a bit more spring to it.

that said your doing some top class work, keep it up!

super... on
    edited July 2008
    Just a tip, Beavotron, but you know that this is that whole "innocent time" era style, so you could do some ironic work with something perverse in this style.
    Blood and guts and swearing, that kind of stuff.

Also, I like the fix (obviously) and Owl boy is pretty rad, but I suggest a hue for the border that isn't so similar to the owls- maybe blend in a little red or something.

Tam on
    edited July 2008
    gredavin: thank you very much! I'm quite fond of it too, it's really fun to do work like this, I've always been somewhat of a minimalist. It's funny because I seem to be moving towards more and more simplification.
    Eventually I'm just going to be posting like, a green triangle. with a line next to it. OOOOooOooo Art
    lol

Super: Do you have any suggestions for what I could do to make this stuff happen?

Thanks cool dudes!

Edit: Funny you should say that Tam, I'm working on a project right now that does just that, it's kind of why I've been playing around with this style so much.
    I'm not going to go into details about it now, but it'll be posted eventually.

beavotron on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These are awesome Beav.

Mustang on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    beavotron wrote: »

Super: Do you have any suggestions for what I could do to make this stuff happen?

well sure
    crispycrunchies-final.jpg

Check out the head on that g-raff, the snout is very long and it gets very skinny at the middle, this is good exaggeration

Also check out that kids ears, they really stick out compared to the girl's ears in this image
    boyandgirl.png

Silhouette's with complicated shapes tend to be a little more exciting

With styles that deal with very few elements each little detail is critical

One thing you may think about is how you balance the amount of line vs silhouette.
    notice the black and gray in fire kids paints and boots? this is used to portray the paints without using extra lines.

still your doing high quality work,

Maybe i can suggest you pick up a cheap book of colord construction paper and actually try making some paper cut images.

super... on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Any way you could put up a higher rez version of the fox and rabbit one? I am enamored of it and have made it my desktop background, but it doesn't take up the whole thing.

I wish I had some critique to give, but I honestly think they are all adorable.

Quoth on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These are up a notch beavo. up an entire notch!

PROX on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    beavo I am utterly in love with these

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited July 2008
    like, do you have a larger size of owlboy?

I've got a monitor turned vertical at work and I would love a WP-sized version

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png