As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick Ass, it reads good

yihdegoyihdego Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in Graphic Violence
This comic is so good I'm compelled to virally campaign it

kickassbannerpf8.jpg

Seriously, the comic is quite graphic and tells a great story. Its not always that you can convince people to give comics a chance. Continuity makes comics impossible to approach but Kick Ass is so fresh and relevant to its core readers that it just reads good. Oh and the viral campaign has been awesome, they posted videos of kids beating each other up. How awesome is that?

yihdego on

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mark, we know it's you.

And we haven't forgiven you for fucking us in the ass.

Red or Alive on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I liked this week's, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone like I did after #1.

For me Kick-Ass is sort of on a par with The Boys in that I like it, but I'm not proud.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1 and 2 were great

issue 3 was just okay

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait what?

I havent read issue 3 yet

if this turns into The Boys I will not be happy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Bale.

It's not actually similar to The Boys in any way other than my levels of enthusiasm for it.

You can still read it, it's OK.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well

I can see how this book could go down that road

I dont think it will but you scared me ok

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

Man-hug?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bet the kid is still in a coma.

Algertman on
    edited June 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    I bet the kid is still in a coma.

That would be such a cop-out.

It also reminds me of this:
    harry-potter.gif

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    He can't still be in a coma
    It started with him getting his crotch electrocuted and it's all been told as a flashback
    Plus the coma would limit how it's going to interact with 1985, which we still aren't sure how that's going to work at all

Me Too! on
  • yihdegoyihdego Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Mark, we know it's you.

And we haven't forgiven you for fucking us in the ass.

Oh god, my cover has been blown!

No but, I wish I was as creative (crazy) as Mark.

yihdego on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    my problem with Kick Ass is that the protagonist talks like Wiggin posts

also sometimes the art bugs me, but other than that i enjoy it for what it is

Garlic Bread on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    He can't still be in a coma
    It started with him getting his crotch electrocuted and it's all been told as a flashback
    Plus the coma would limit how it's going to interact with 1985, which we still aren't sure how that's going to work at all

Wait, this is tying in with 1985? Awesome.

Bucketman on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was Millar serious in the back of Issue #3 about a Kick-Ass movie being announced in the very near future?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, after all this, how is this kid still walking.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, you know, I like this comic quite a bit but the tone is all over the place. We have the "zomg this is realistic look it's YouTube guys" stuff jammed down our throats, but then this nerdy teenager is somehow managing to not get killed by the people he's getting mixed up with? And katana-wielding little girls completely disemboweling hardened thugs? What world is this supposed to be, exactly?

But still. Fun stuff.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone that likes Kick Ass might also want to check out Watchdogs by Fred Van Lente (MODOK's 11, Incredible Hercules). It was released as an OGN a while back, and now the whole thing's available for free online. It basically deals with real life superheroics, and the consequences that kind of life can have.

Munch on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thats a fine good comic Munch.

Bucketman on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Anyone that likes Kick Ass might also want to check out Watchdogs by Fred Van Lente (MODOK's 11, Incredible Hercules). It was released as an OGN a while back, and now the whole thing's available for free online. It basically deals with real life superheroics, and the consequences that kind of life can have.

I just read that whole thing in one sitting. I loved it.

Mr Pink on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Watchdogs was just
    Wow

Me Too! on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have Watchdogs just haven't had a chance to read it. Its packed away in my boxes so who knows where it is now. S
    igh

MAD! on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Myself as well. There were some points where it moved a little more swiftly than I would've liked, but overall I enjoyed it.
    Who in the fuck just happens to carry around a noose?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Myself as well. There were some points where it moved a little more swiftly than I would've liked, but overall I enjoyed it.
    Who in the fuck just happens to carry around a noose?

You obviously don't live in a racially charged part of town. You can pick them up at the Stop and Go.

Mr Pink on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am pretty jazzed that you guys are digging this book because I work with the publisher of it. Like it or not the industry looks towards these forum as a general barometer of popularity.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    you mean...marvel?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Yes. Exactly....

(I should have actually quoted the post above me in my first post, confusion ensues)

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Watchdogs was pretty good... gave me a real Fight Club vibe.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • 50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone kept up on reading this? Since the 8 issues just wrapped a month or two ago it was good to see the story finally finish up (glad it wrapped before the movie, would've seemed weird if it didn't). The last issue was a little meh, not gonna get into it to avoid spoilers and stuff, but what's you guys' thoughts on the series now that the first arch is over with?

50 More Trash on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's spectacularly violent and crazy, and should not be taken seriously in any way shape or form. Also, Mark Millar still seems to have a suprising disdain for comic book fans, but whatever.

Solar on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Its a fun series. Not much in the way of deepness though, so I don't think its much of a 'classic'. It does seem a bit too...Hollywood-ish, especially because the movie was being made at the same time the comic was. Made it seem like more of a movie tie-in than something that came about independently.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited March 2010
    I had that feeling too. I think a lot of it came from the fact that most of it was done four edge-to-edge panels per page, almost gave it the feeling of those old promotional magazines they used to do for old kids movies (using live action stills with comic speech bubbles?) like Ninja Turtles. Don't know if you know what I'm talking about.

One way or the other, I got behind this book since I support the whole "creator owned" movement pretty strongly. And it was good to see that Marvel was willing to publish creator owned stuff on a pretty large scale. It was an example of something being profitable even though there wasn't an existing, established hero. DC's been doing it for years (Watchmen anyone?) but Marvel has always been slow on the uptake in that regard.

That being said, I get the feeling that KickAss was a little carrot-and-stick for Millar and Romita... I think one of the main reasons it took about 2 years for 8 issues was that the execs were like "Yeah, yeah... you guys can do KickAss, but Millar, make sure Fantastic Four is your priority, and Romita, you can draw KickAss when your SpiderMan art is done... those books can't be late."

50 More Trash on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought it was kinda sad that he didn't get the girl in the end, but really how could he, ya know? It added even more realism into the story and that's really what makes this series stand out from other comics.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't delete. Fuck.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It wasn't sad to me. I mean, they didn't have a real relationship and he hadn't really done anything to deserve it, had he?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    THere's not getting the goal and having the goal
    send a picture of itself orally pleasuring another guy.
    Was just overly dickish of the writer, guy isn't fucked enough? If they wanted gritty, first thing he should have done is then upload that picture and address everyone in his school to it if she wants to be a bitch.

DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought it was kinda sad that he didn't get the girl in the end, but really how could he, ya know? It added even more realism into the story and that's really what makes this series stand out from other comics.
    This article seems uncannily apropos.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    I found it kind of funny that this was touted as being "comics in reality" when it actually seems more unrealistic than most mainline Marvel books. By grounding it in "reality" then juxtaposing Hitgirl with that it kind of ruined the whole intention of the book for me. All in all I thought it wasn't very good.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found it kind of funny that this was touted as being "comics in reality" when it actually seems more unrealistic than most mainline Marvel books. By grounding it in "reality" then juxtaposing Hitgirl with that it kind of ruined the whole intention of the book for me. All in all I thought it wasn't very good.

Same. It was originally told advertised as "superheroes but real", which I thought was an interesting premise. It never actually lived up to that, and it also just was not very good or enjoyable for the issues I read.

Also, the guy was an asshole, so of course he wouldn't get the girl.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2010
    If there's one part of the story that I think may get overhauled in the movie is that last bit with the sms... I don't know if mainstream moviegoers would buy something that harsh.

I liked that part a lot though... when it all boils down to it, the guy was just a fish out of water jerk. What gets me is that the man character: Dave Lizewski is a real person http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick-Ass#Promotion ... that guy probably read the last issue and was like "WTF? I'm a loser!"

50 More Trash on