As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My 360 is...well, you know...

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Hey guys...so my 360 appears to be doing this to me...

demotivators_agony.jpg

I don't get the RROD though...instead it runs perfectly, but I lose video. The game is playing fine and then *WHAM* my picture starts distorting and turns to a red or black screen with dots on it. I can still here my game playing normally...just screwed up picture. I put a thin towel on it for about 10 seconds, and the picture comes back for about 2 hours before doing it again.

What gives? Video card issue I take it?

I still have a warranty at Futureshop for another 2 years, but I know that when I take it in...they'll turn it on and it'll be fine long enough for them to send it back to me thinking there's no problem.:|

Anyone else have this on here? This is my second 360...like I said, works fine otherwise.

Scotty on

• HashyHashy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's fucked.

How about you, I dunno, talk to Futureshop about it? They won't dismiss it as working fine if you tell them what happens. Maybe if you have trouble communicating with strangers you can show them a image macro in the form of an inspirational poster.

Hashy on
    :winky:
    edited June 2008
    This post brought to you by dispair.com

Hashy on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply, but please in the future spell 'Despair.com' properly...especially when it is clearly spelled correctly right in front of you.

I'll try talking to FS like you said...just wondering if anyone had any other experiences with this specific problem.

Scotty on
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drop it.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Do you mean try to break it more? I'll admit that a RROD would tend to be more concrete for me.

I wondered at first if it could be my cable, probably not though if heat the thing up a little fixes it for a while. Maybe if I keep it up, it will RR on me. We'll see I guess. I don't know how common this issue is with the video...curious about others having this issue though...like how long it was for them before it died.:?

Scotty on
    edited June 2008
    z0r. z0r never changes.

Hashy on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    I'll try talking to FS like you said

Don't forget your poster. Try an LOLcat to break the ice.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    edited June 2008
    This isn't even worth discussing. Your 360 is fucked beyond self-diagnosis or repair (you must've guessed this when you tried a gross misinterpretation of the towel trick). Your only choice is to claim on your warranty. Your warranty is still active. Your problem was solved before the OP even ended.

Don't dispair, Take it in for ripair

Hashy on
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hashy wrote: »
    This isn't even worth discussing. Your 360 is fucked beyond self-diagnosis or repair (you must've guessed this when you tried a gross misinterpretation of the towel trick). Your only choice is to claim on your warranty. Your warranty is still active. Your problem was solved before the OP even ended.

Don't dispair, Take it in for ripair

wow

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Peas. Yeah, sounds the same, they tried the same things I did, guess it's not uncommon.

Scotty on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't suppose your cable's been switched between HD and AV?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I thought of that too....like it somehow got switched halfway or something and it was confusing it. Checked though, and it's set right.

Scotty on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Mine started doing that.

One day, about a week after it started, it just stopped outputting video.

So...either wait until then and call Microsoft or call Microsoft now. It's fucked.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sounds like you are on your way to a RROD. Perhaps the best thing to do is help the RROD along by having your console run something gpu heavy continuously.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited June 2008
    Well, thanks for the confirmation guys.
    Funny, it's true...I just want it to hurry up and die so I can get it fixed.

I think I'll go turn it on and leave it on until it borks...can't really make anything worse right? (Unless it ignites and burns my house down)

Scotty on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sorry, I dont want to start a new 360 topic for this, but i wanted to ask; can i put my 360 in my entertainment cabinet? It would fit perfectly, but laying flat in a cubicle.
    When right now its on the floor with tons of breathing room, but unsightly.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited June 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Sorry, I dont want to start a new 360 topic for this, but i wanted to ask; can i put my 360 in my entertainment cabinet? It would fit perfectly, but laying flat in a cubicle.

The fans suck in air from the side. That said, mine's been in a similar situation for almost a year with no ill effects.

Willeth on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'd only put it in if it has ample ventilation, which is really the case for any piece of A/V equipment. I adjusted the shelves in my 3-shelf TV stand so that my 360 has the most space available for it, plus I actually bought a laptop USB-powered cooling pad to put underneath it. I don't know if it helps at all, but so far my suspected launch-era 360 has been doing quite well for itself.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, I've got a similar problem, except my 360 just stopped displaying anything altogether. The sound works, but the picture is gone (on component).

Before that happened, I had a kind of cool looking problem. It's kind of hard to explain, but sometimes my games would look cel shaded. I don't know how to word it otherwise. The textures would become flat and have a cartoony look to them. Have you ever played a cel shaded Oblivion? It's kind of cool, until you realize your 360 is about to bite it.

Graviija on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Do not do this. You will hasten the death of your 360 by doing this. Never place the 360 in a cabinet. Never.
    Graviija wrote: »
    Hey, I've got a similar problem, except my 360 just stopped displaying anything altogether. The sound works, but the picture is gone (on component).

Before that happened, I had a kind of cool looking problem. It's kind of hard to explain, but sometimes my games would look cel shaded. I don't know how to word it otherwise. The textures would become flat and have a cartoony look to them. Have you ever played a cel shaded Oblivion? It's kind of cool, until you realize your 360 is about to bite it.

Have you tried a different cable yet?

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply, but please in the future spell 'Despair.com' properly...especially when it is clearly spelled correctly right in front of you.

I'll try talking to FS like you said...just wondering if anyone had any other experiences with this specific problem.

This from a guy who spelled "hear" wrong.
    Take it in.

I was under the impression that one could call up Microsoft and claim RROD and it would be fixed. This is what other threads at PA have led me to believe. I do not condone this behavior nor have I attempted it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    if your floor is carpet then putting it in the AV shelf would be an upgrade.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Ive got nice cool hardwood floors, with the 360 on its side... The AV cabinet would have plenty of airing room every way but vertically. But it would look so cool :(

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited June 2008

Ive got nice cool hardwood floors, with the 360 on its side... The AV cabinet would have plenty of airing room every way but vertically. But it would look so cool :(

So your setup would be something like this:

There's no problem with that. If it's:

Then you'll have a problem.

Willeth on
  • zerocountzerocount Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, thanks for the confirmation guys.
    Funny, it's true...I just want it to hurry up and die so I can get it fixed.

I think I'll go turn it on and leave it on until it borks...can't really make anything worse right? (Unless it ignites and burns my house down)

Pardon me for being overly cautious, and I'm sure that you've already thought of this, but I wouldn't mention the use of a towel to either MS or FS (depending on who you go to), for the warranty reasons. Sounds like an overheating video card, the same problem that plagued my release day 360... on relase day (not joking), as well as (I think) 360 number 4. Seems you are getting some cooling, but not enough to diffuse the molten hell that is the video card.

I am on 360 number 6, and have yet to hit a RRoD, but 360 number 4 had that video problem a long time before I got around to sending it in, and even leaving it on for long periods didn't RRoD it.

zerocount on
    edited June 2008
    Ah, thanks for the info Zero.
    I'll just disconnect it and take it in if it's probably not going to Red Ring from sitting while on.

Thanks again to those of you who have answered me seriously.

Thread over.

Scotty on