Options

Game On Wii or 360/PS3?

24

Posts

  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so, is it too late to say "it would vary from game to game"?

    I mean, duh.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    If you had the choice between buying a game, which would be exactly the same with the exception being the exclusives each console has (motion control on the Wii and better graphics/physics/sound on 360/PS3), which system would you buy it for?
    ...
    So I guess with all things considered if Beyond Good and Evil 2 would have come out on all systems for me to buy the Wii version the controls would have to have been truly a step up and mind-blowing.


    Well, the general purpose served by the 360/PS3 is to take the form of a traditional console, but with more power.

    One of the general purposes of the Wii is to provide a unique interface for games.


    So in answer to your question, would you rather play a game on the Wii with cool controls or on the 360/PS3 with better graphics/physics/some other hardware-related enhancement, the answer becomes:


    It depends.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    Also your trying to tell me that HD graphics are bad
    Honestly? In some ways they are.

    Oh sure, it's nice when your games look pretty, but think of the extra time and expense on each and every texture and bump/normal map that went into the game. And it is true that when you set a high standard for your textures and framerate, you'll have a much harder time making it look as good rendering more than one viewport for local multiplayer. You can understand the logic, right? Games are a lot more expensive to make on HD systems.

    Also the reason you can't think of immersive Wii games is simply because you haven't played them.

    Ok the local multiplayer well hit the performance of the game, but thats why the system is more powerful so that the game can handle it. It is also more expensive to make games for the ps3/360 thats why the wii has all that crap shovelware. In terms of quality titles there are many more for the 360/ps3 then the wii. It's not even like HD graphics is a small thing, I think everyone would love to play brawl, metroid, galaxy, kart with HD graphics. I think that would amazing in fact I would re-buy those games. I mean the logic your using we might as well play some n64 coop as the graphics are simplier and therefore won't stress our n64's as much

    Dixon on
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I just accidentally opened a big can of worms.

    I understand the idea that the Wii has it's own values that are exclusive to it and that the 360/PS3 does too. I have a Wii and a 360. I love the exclusive games for both. What I was getting at with the question was, if all else is neutral, which type of advantage, better graphics/physics/sound of 360/PS3 or the controls of the Wii, compels you the most as a gamer?

    I like both the 360 and the Wii for different reasons but if I were to pick which system to a buy a multi-system game for it'd probably be 360 because it's easier to have a game with really good graphics/sound/physics then to implement really good motion control.

    I do think that most systems next generation will have some form of motion control (why wouldn't they when the Wii's been so successful) and this question will have brand new meaning then because next generation they'll have the Wii to look back on both for how to do it right and what to avoid.

    JasonR66 on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    What I was getting at with the question was, if all else is neutral, which type of advantage, better graphics/physics/sound of 360/PS3 or the controls of the Wii, compels you the most as a gamer?

    In my humble, honest opinion controlling games with the Wii is a downside. Every time I give that system a try at gamestop or my friends house, I'm baffled by the love affair for it's control scheme. Shaking things and having to keep your arms propped up for hours does not equal an awesome gaming experience for me. The only thing these days that could get me to buy a Wii is a must have exclusive game and so far nothing has even piqued my interest, let alone force me to drop money on the thing. (No More Heroes was the closest the system ever came to really making me consider a purchase.)

    MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hell most of the Wii's best games could have been done on standard controllers while offering just as good, or in some cases better, of an experience; Mario Galaxy, SSB, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

    I have to say that this is something I fundamentally disagree with.
    Except on SSB, which I hear was designed for standard controllers, making it a poor example.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    What I was getting at with the question was, if all else is neutral, which type of advantage, better graphics/physics/sound of 360/PS3 or the controls of the Wii, compels you the most as a gamer?

    In my humble, honest opinion controlling games with the Wii is a downside. Every time I give that system a try at gamestop or my friends house, I'm baffled by the love affair for it's control scheme. Shaking things and having to keep your arms propped up for hours does not equal an awesome gaming experience for me. The only thing these days that could get me to buy a Wii is a must have exclusive game and so far nothing has even piqued my interest, let alone force me to drop money on the thing. (No More Heroes was the closest the system ever came to really making me consider a purchase.)

    There's not always just "shaking", the pointer adds additional accuracy, and additionally you don't really have to keep your arms propped up at all. I put them on my lap or a pillow, frankly it's a relief not to have my arms crammed into a v shape all of the time and my hands cramped together.

    Also have you ever really gotten into a game and started moving around? Well now if that happens it means something. Most of the time you don't have to, but shit it's kinda fun to do it.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    Games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 obviously would have looked better on the 360/PS3 and probably could have had more physics based gameplay (though with Mario that would have been hard to do). But the games were so well made for the Wii and the controls fit so well I don’t think I would’ve liked them any better on the more powerful systems.

    MP3 with surround sound > MP3 without, especially considering it's an FPS. For me, the loss of surround (and the ability to spatially locate things that aren't onscreen) when moving from 360/PS3 to Wii is more jarring than the loss of HD.

    I was under the impression that the Wii does have surround sound. I wouldn't know for sure myself as I don't have surround sound speakers.

    Dolby Digital 5.1 (360, PS3), Pro Logic 2 (Wii)

    The former is considerably better.

    Super Mario Galaxy impressed the fuck out of me on my 5.1 system.

    I never bothered hooking up my 360 to it though.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Motion controls are new for the industry and so are often poorly done and unnecessary. But the use of the Wii controller as a pointer is pretty easy to implement (we've been making games that support the mouse for years) and rocks. Games like Trauma Center & Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are incredibly fun games and could not be done well on a traditional controller.

    And I have to debunk the idea that games with high definition visuals have to be expensive. There are plenty of XBLA games that look fantastic (partially because of the high-def) and didn't cost very much at all to make.

    In the end, it really boils down to the game.

    RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally I do not care very much about HD. I am far more concerned with things like art style and character animation than I am with HD graphics. For example, I cannot play Mass Effect without becoming distracted by how fake and emotionless the characters look. The models might be detailed, but their movements and emotions are so forced and robotic. And it's not as if the technology to produce well-animated realistic characters doesn't exist; Half Life 2 had fantastic animation in 2004.

    For this reason, I tend to find stylized games a lot more visually appealing than games that are supposed to look "realistic," whether those stylized games run in HD or not. I will take Super Mario Galaxy over Mass Effect in the graphics department any day. Some day we will have consoles that are powerful enough to handle photo realistic graphics, but we're not there yet and I wish more developers would use the power of the existing HD consoles for imaginative graphics styles instead of attempting to mimic reality--and almost always falling far short of it.

    Whether I buy a game for my Wii or my 360 depends on the game, though, as has already been said numerous times in this thread.

    NovaRev on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Half-Life's 2 facial animations don't touch Mass Effects, not from what I've played of the two.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hell most of the Wii's best games could have been done on standard controllers while offering just as good, or in some cases better, of an experience; Mario Galaxy, SSB, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

    I have to say that this is something I fundamentally disagree with.
    Except on SSB, which I hear was designed for standard controllers, making it a poor example.

    Okami, Prince of Persia, Zelda, and a host of other games all get dinged by reviewers for the motion controls being inferior to a standard controller. Mario Galaxy and SSB don't need the motion controls in any way shape or form and they don't add anything to the experience. Mario Kart uses the Wii remote in a nice way but it doesn't improve the experience, at least not for me. Metroid's motion controls are great, though. :^:

    Give me Mario Tennis on the Wii and we've got a winner but most of the titles do not benefit from the waggle, in my opinion.

    Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game for me, followed by immersion, which is part of why the Wii has been such a disappointment for me.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Half-Life's 2 facial animations don't touch Mass Effects, not from what I've played of the two.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hell most of the Wii's best games could have been done on standard controllers while offering just as good, or in some cases better, of an experience; Mario Galaxy, SSB, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

    I have to say that this is something I fundamentally disagree with.
    Except on SSB, which I hear was designed for standard controllers, making it a poor example.

    Okami, Prince of Persia, Zelda, and a host of other games all get dinged by reviewers for the motion controls being inferior to a standard controller. Mario Galaxy and SSB don't need the motion controls in any way shape or form and they don't add anything to the experience. Mario Kart uses the Wii remote in a nice way but it doesn't improve the experience, at least not for me. Metroid's motion controls are great, though. :^:

    Give me Mario Tennis on the Wii and we've got a winner but most of the titles do not benefit from the waggle, in my opinion.

    Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game for me, followed by immersion, which is part of why the Wii has been such a disappointment for me.

    Collecting Starbits in Galaxy was stupid.
    Stupidly fun.

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved having motion controls on Williams Pinball for Wii, you can do your nudges with an easy jolt to the nunchuk or Wiimote. Nudge both at the same time and you can even pull off the ever impressive "Death Save"!

    And with Mario Kart I think it's a lot more fun if you can coerce all your friends to play with the remotes/wheels. If only the "Golden Wheel" had more respect. :x

    Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Half-Life's 2 facial animations don't touch Mass Effects, not from what I've played of the two.

    I disagree, at least in the case of the main characters (and especially Alyx). But I am not just talking about the facial animations, I'm talking about all of the character animations. The main characters in HL2 move more like real people, gesture appropriately, etc. I did not play HL2 until The Orange Box came out late last year, and despite the fact that the game is over 3 years old now I was still blown away at how lifelike Dr. Breen's movements were on the first giant video screen that you see when you step off the train. When I play Mass Effect I feel like I am watching detailed robots try really hard to move like real people, and they just look stiff instead. A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that most of the times characters interact, they stand approximately 4 feet apart, stare at each other and chat back and forth, which is not particularly interesting visually.

    In fairness, I have not played more than a couple hours of ME yet so I guess it could get better, but that's how I feel based on what I have played so far.

    NovaRev on
  • Options
    TherumancerTherumancer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Overall I think motion sensing controls are not advanced to the point to really be fun to use for the most part. The Wii works when it keeps things very simple, but otherwise seems to have at least 2 problems for every cool moment it has.

    I have both a PS-3 and a 360 (I do not OWN a Wii) and while I like the PS-3 better I find myself gravitating towards the 360 simply to get away from the horrible nightmare that is the Siraxis motion component.

    When it comes to "The Force Unleashed" my reaction to the game is very 'meh'. I'd rather someone did another Knights Of The Old Republic game, or something similar, than that.

    As far as the Lightsaber Mechanics, I wouldn't expect too much. The reason being quite simply that it seems like someone who watches too much DBZ thought it might be fun to do a non-Canon Star Wars game asking the question "what if Jedi and Sith went Super Saiyan?".

    Basically while Saber-play is mentioned, it seems like I see more about over the top force powers and about how you'll have a character ripping apart huge pieces of the enviroment and having the NPCs react to the enviromental carnage. Assuming your doing this enough for the reactions of all the little peon monsters to matter, I see little or no point to the Lightsabers unless this kind of thing plays a much more minimal role than has been implied.

    Given that arguably no Jedi or Sith I've seen has wielded power on the level implied by this game, including Darth Vader (whose secret apprentice you are allegedly), it hit my "meh" buttons long ago. Long stretch between throwing some pieces of machinery around during a swordfight or whatever, and being able to rip up pieces of deckplating and use them to crush people while all the peons cower and try and hold each other steady and such.

    Bottom line is, while I could be proven wrong, this isn't a game I'd be analyzing precisian control schemes for in great detail at this point. As they said in (I think it was Game Informer) "this game is about using the force to kick people's butt" (or something like that). I imagine this is one where you'll spend a lot of time hitting the "pwn" button and watching the pretty graphics.

    Therumancer on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it always boggles me how some people are surprised that the wii-mote generally fails to drastically better the gameplay. i'd strongly hesitate to say that the controller is meant to improve gameplay at all. rather, it's simply another way to play. occasionally better, often not, and, for better or for worse, always different. the genius of the wii isn't in the controller. it's in the marketing :P

    the wii is my console of choice simply due to affordability and my own perceived relative value ratio between the quality of wii games and their cost. the games are also pretty dang fun too :) i [will] do all my HD gaming on my [soon to be bought] PC

    Guek on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I choose X360/PS3 because at the end of the day, I will have less arthritis.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Which would you rather play: RWii4, or a version of RE4 that somehow had RE5's graphics? It's really no contest, and that's using what is perhaps the best example of a "traditional" game being ported to the Wii.

    I loved Re4 on the cube, but the wii version is practically another game. The controls are amazing, and I could never go back to the cube version. I'm disappointed that re5 is coming to the 360, because I can't go back to analog sticks, so I won't be playing it. Of course, I'm a pc mouse/keyboard elitist anyway, so I hate analog stick controls.

    As for graphics, I don't own a HD tv, and don't predict purchasing one anytime soon. I'm also one of those apparently blind people who can't really see much difference between sd and hd, so take my views with that grain of salt.

    I try to turn off all the bloom and light effects because I can't make out whats happening or they give me a headache. Back on the original xbox, when I played kotor at a friends before it came to pc, they had this option, and I was thankful. Force speed especially aggravated me, because as players of the game know, you pretty much want to have it on all the time. I'm probably a small minority though, but for me, the wii fits my gaming needs nicely. I have friends who own the other systems, but we only ever play brawl/kart regardless.

    I personally think if you like the games or have alot of friends around you for local multiplayer, the Wii is tops. If you don't want to spend alot of time building a computer, don't care for or at least won't miss mods, don't mind analog gamepad controls, and have a lot of friends who also don't mind the controls, then 360/PS3 are good, especially for shooters.

    Ultarune on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a Wii and a 360, and I find it hard to pick up the Wii Remote sometimes.

    If there's one thing about the Wii that leaves me wanting, it's in physics. I'm not as concerned about graphics, as long as the artwork is great and the picture is clear I can tolerate it, but when I shoot a monster in a game or whatever, and corpses aren't given over to some kind of ragdoll physics when they expire, I notice. This was one of my biggest problems with RE4. I loved the game, and extremely fluid animations were a saving grace, but I hated seeing corpses clip through walls and hills.

    Actually, there's one thing I really wish the Wii had done, that the PS3 has. The PSN Wipeout game, I haven't played it and I forget it's proper name, but playing a racing game and controlling the direction and pitch of my vehicle by tilting the controller sounds awesome. It's something I really want from the Wii. I enjoy classic console experiences, and I'd love to see them enhanced by motion controls more often.

    Overall, I would pick the 360/PS3, but I'm glad I don't have to decide between them.

    Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have you seen the physics in Boom Blox, Beck?

    Obviously the PS3/360 are technically capable of more advanced physics. But simple things like ragdoll can easily be added via, say, licensing Havok, which some games have done. Any clipping and such is just a matter of how things are implemented.

    Look at Haze on the PS3. It's serious corpse clipping and floating problems are not a funciton of the hardware or lack of "ability to do physics" or something. It's the function of how well the game was developed and different facets were implemented.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i would pick the 360, because i really regret my wii purchase. waggle really didn't add anything for me. but then again i like playing good single player games.

    tyrannus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly I'm glad I have both a Wii and a 360; both were really worth it, and there's basically no redundancy between the two of them: games (well, games worth buying, anyway) are completely different between the two.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hell most of the Wii's best games could have been done on standard controllers while offering just as good, or in some cases better, of an experience; Mario Galaxy, SSB, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

    I have to say that this is something I fundamentally disagree with.
    Except on SSB, which I hear was designed for standard controllers, making it a poor example.

    Okami, Prince of Persia, Zelda, and a host of other games all get dinged by reviewers for the motion controls being inferior to a standard controller.
    Your last post didn't mention ports like Okmai or Prince of Persia. With regard to Zelda, I disagree- the slight loss of precision on swordplay is more than made up for by the vastly better bow controls. I'd take Twilight princess Wii controls over Wind Waker's any day.
    Mario Galaxy and SSB don't need the motion controls in any way shape or form and they don't add anything to the experience.
    Already agreed on SSB, but I disagree with you again on Galaxy. The pointer is vital to the game, and the shake controlling the spin attack instead of a button made, at least for me, for a considerably more tactile experience. In addition, it seemed to have all the precision of a button press, thus leading to no disadvantages.
    Mario Kart uses the Wii remote in a nice way but it doesn't improve the experience, at least not for me.
    However, it did for me, and appears to have done for quite a number of other people.
    Metroid's motion controls are great, though. :^:
    Glad we agree on that one.

    Really, it's a matter of personal preference. I found the motion controls worked fine for the games I've discussed above. If you didn't, fair enough; I'm just raising the alternative viewpoint.

    I personally have the expectation that the Wii will follow the path of the DS, whereby it winds up with some traditional games that don't use the new control methods at all, and some that use them imaginatively.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Motion controls are really hit and miss, and it's really obvious that the true innovation in the Wii is the pointer. I have not played a single game yet where using the pointer has been less intuitive or effective then using an analog stick. RE4 and Metroid are the best examples of this. Even games that don't rely on the pointer for an essential mechanic are enhanced by it (Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario) and it allows a mostly forgotten genre to live on through the Wii (light gun games).

    SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would (and did) take the ps3/360 over the Wii any day of the week. In fact I just sold my wii to a 14 year old last week. Im sure she will love it. Not me though. I had 5 games that I liked on it, 4 of which i had played to death in past console iterations (metroid, zelda, smash, kart). None felt like a "major push forward" the only one that really impressed me as a "wii" game was metroid. Only game that was a "new" experience from top to bottom was galaxy, and it was so ugly that I still had a hard time finishing.

    Really have been impressed with both my 360 and ps3 though. I have a really large screen, and 7.2 channel audio. Both the ps3 and 360 look and sound like sex overall. The wii was eye rapingly ugly on a 110" screen, and sounded like a juicy fart in comparison. I want total immersion (we arnt there yet) and the 360 and ps3 are the closest thing we have in consoles. The wii, its just a distraction.

    RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    i would pick the 360, because i really regret my wii purchase. waggle really didn't add anything for me. but then again i like playing good single player games.

    I regret my 360 purchase. All I can find for the damn thing is shooters of the first-person kind.

    The Wii gives me a bit from each genre, which I'm loving the hell out of.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I wish wish wish Nintendo would port Wind Waker to the Wii with pointer controls + 16:9 mode.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Have you seen the physics in Boom Blox, Beck?

    Obviously the PS3/360 are technically capable of more advanced physics. But simple things like ragdoll can easily be added via, say, licensing Havok, which some games have done. Any clipping and such is just a matter of how things are implemented.

    Look at Haze on the PS3. It's serious corpse clipping and floating problems are not a funciton of the hardware or lack of "ability to do physics" or something. It's the function of how well the game was developed and different facets were implemented.

    I haven't picked it up yet, but Boom Blox has been one of the games I'm really looking forward to playing.

    Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    rockchild17rockchild17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I regret my 360 purchase. All I can find for the damn thing is shooters of the first-person kind.

    The Wii gives me a bit from each genre, which I'm loving the hell out of.

    yes, thank you, another person that's getting sick of all these console based first person shooters that seemed to dominate the 360 at the end of last year. that's why banjo kazooie needs to be good, although I starting to think it's going to pull a turok and everyone will say "not as good as the n64 version"

    ah... those were the days

    rockchild17 on
    "Don't worry, it's not loaded."- last words of terry kath, may he rest in peace.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    i would pick the 360, because i really regret my wii purchase. waggle really didn't add anything for me. but then again i like playing good single player games.

    I regret my 360 purchase. All I can find for the damn thing is shooters of the first-person kind.

    What kinds of games are you expecting more of? Because honestly, the 360 covers most of the major genres at least as well as the other consoles do.

    RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I regret my 360 purchase. All I can find for the damn thing is shooters of the first-person kind.

    The Wii gives me a bit from each genre, which I'm loving the hell out of.

    I have to say I also kinda regret my 360 purchase. Outside of BioShock and Rock Band, I have found most of the 360 games I was anticipating were either disappointing or didn't interest me as I thought they would. I only own 4 360 games, but that doesn't mean I haven't played a bunch; I have learned to rent 360 games instead of buying them because I quickly discovered that I can live without a lot of the 360 games that I wanted. The library just does not appeal to me like I thought it would, and consequently, my 360 gets turned on rarely.

    On the other hand, I have a much bigger Wii library that gets used much more frequently. Even in party/local multiplayer situations, the Wii is the system that gets turned on because it has a vastly superior library of local multiplayer games.

    I also got burned by the hardware and the DRM problems, so I have little desire to buy anything off of the marketplace/XBLA. Maybe this will change if the upcoming DRM fix is deemed acceptable by the community.

    For the most part I like the hardware (especially the controller), the interface, and additions like movie trailers and game demos, but of the 360 and the Wii, the Wii is definitely my favorite system this generation.

    NovaRev on
  • Options
    SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's with all this motion-control dislike? (at least it's not hate)

    -Honestly, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games wouldn't have been the same without motion controls. And despite many people's hatred towards the idea of that game, it was actually fun with a huge group of people who DON'T TAKE THEMSELVES TOO SERIOUSLY (the main thing that prevents many people from having fun with the Wii).
    -Not to mention Wario Ware Smooth Moves... the motion controls on that is enough to make people see the possibilities of future Wii games (if 3rd parties ever care to add a little bit more touch to their games).
    -Then there's No More Heroes, where the motion-controls barely do crud for it, but it definitely feels good to do those simple wrestling moves and such.
    -Victorious Boxers Revolution, though hated by many people who didn't change the controls, would have been nothing without the controls.
    -...I heard people LOVED Koropina: Marble Madness' controls.
    -As well as Boom Blox.
    -And though many people didn't think it was anything too great, the motion controls made the DBZBT games ridiculously more fun.
    -Then there's WiiWare games...

    I wish I got more games though, so I'd have more examples to give (still a big sum of games I haven't done yet). ...though just because there's not that many great motion-control games that are GOOD by any means, it doesn't mean future ones won't ever appear.
    ...eventually most people who have sold their Wiis, regret the choice later...
    It's not worth selling it, IMO. It's a small, fun system.


    Xagarath wrote: »
    Mario Kart uses the Wii remote in a nice way but it doesn't improve the experience, at least not for me.
    However, it did for me, and appears to have done for quite a number of other people.
    Including me. :D





    ...seriously, I like a combination of 2 systems.
    Wii+360
    Wii+PS3

    Nothing's wrong with that.


    Though, if I had a choice... I'd choose the Wii.
    I love my Elite's power and space, but I see a lot of possibilities in my Wii. A point & click Turn-based strategy game sounds good to me (it'd have to be a no-grid, like Phantom Brave, in order for it to work perfectly)... And I don't mind if a game doesn't have amazing graphics, though I do appreciate it when it's there.....
    And besides, motion-controls ain't all the Wii's got. And I like that. :)

    SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I wish wish wish Nintendo would port Wind Waker to the Wii with pointer controls + 16:9 mode.

    And the ability to use a DS for the Tingle Tuner instead of a GBA. I don't really understand why so few games have Wii-DS connectivity. It seems that there's a lot of games with GCN-GBA connectivity.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All I have to say is fuck the Wii's control. Can't believe I bought into the gimmick. I played Bully and Harry Potter on it and turned it off 15 minutes later. The controls for most multiplatform games on the Wii are just horrible and not fun. I don't like waving my arms around just to punch and kick I don't like having to memorize 20 different waving motions just to play the game. I regret buying the console and getting caught up in the whole "innovative control is better than graphics hype" when in truth it's actually "Old School Gamepad is better than Gimmicky control". It's even more apparent when you realize people prefer the Gamecube controller to play Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

    I remember Nintendo touting that their controller was perfect for FPS games and I'll agree with that. Metroid was a fine example of how their controller should work. You would think there would be more games taking advantage of this fact. But I have yet to see another decent FPS game on the Wii since Metroid. All the people saying "wait let the console build a game library before you judge". I say fuck that, I've waited long enough, I'm done with the Wii. I'll come back and check on Nintendo next generation.

    And one more thing. I'm glad RE5 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 isn't coming out of the Wii. I rather take the improved graphics and intact standard gamepad controller than watered down graphics and tacked on controllers any day. They say you get more immersion with the Wii but I say where's the immersion when you have 3 low res zombies on the screen chasing you while you are running through a blurry rendition of what is supposed to be a village in Africa. And I saw how RE4 controlled on the Wii, the Gamecube version played better.

    bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    Psychedelic Worm ReturnsPsychedelic Worm Returns Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how all the complaints about the wii are in fact complaints about developers not being able to work with it. Its not the fault of Nintendo that most third party developers are too lazy or simply not good enough to figure out how to make a good game with the possibilities the wii-remote offers. Instead they just pump more money in the graphics department for 360/ps3 games, because that's what they know.

    Psychedelic Worm Returns on
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how all the complaints about the wii are in fact complaints about developers not being able to work with it. Its not the fault of Nintendo that most third party developers are too lazy or simply not good enough to figure out how to make a good game with the possibilities the wii-remote offers. Instead they just pump more money in the graphics department for 360/ps3 games, because that's what they know.


    But it doesn't matter does it? It still has shit for 3rd party games overall. Whether its the "lazy" developers or Nintendo's fault, its all leads down the same path. A system that is primarily bought only for 1st party titles. I don't buy a console to "support" a company and give them the benefit of the doubt, I buy it to PLAY amazing 1st, 2nd AND 3rd party games.

    Will it change? Possibly, but there has been ample time for a decent 3rd party push and it has yet to happen.

    RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would go with the 360/PS3, without exception. At least until developers make their Wii games funner to control then those giant Tekken arcade stages where you flail around until someone wins. Even then I would probably prefer 360/PS3, as AI/graphics/physics are a lot more important to me than motion controls.

    Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

    "Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HD graphics, 5.1 Digital surround, excellent online functionality, awesome controller, 360 is first choice.

    PS3 second, that system seems to be getting better and better. So much more appealing now than when it launched.

    The Wii... fun round a friend's house, but I couldn't take it seriously as my primary console mainly due to the poor graphics, but also that waggle is just pretty damned annoying after a while. I like some of the things you can do with Miis etc, but I prefer the 360 gamertag / friends list / Achievements system. And while the Wii is so far behind 360/PS3 in terms of visuals, it would always be my last choice.

    Also, the PC, I really miss PC gaming, used to place that as my primary choice, but just got tired of the upgrades, couldn't justify the price compared to console gaming after one too many hardware malfunctions, and have given up. Maybe when the consoles look a bit long in the tooth, I might get another decent gaming rig.

    And handhelds, not really my bag.

    So yeah, 360 first and foremost.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Wii is definitely the best system on the market. Alot of great first-party titles with some great third-party titles and many more to come. The most comfortable controller out of the three and it actually tries to change things up. What the 360 and PS3 offer is the exact same thing we had last generation with shinier graphics.

    I'm glad to see Nintendo stepping up to the plate and offering something different. People wonder why the PSP isn't selling well. It's because it's a goddamn portable PS2. Big woop. The DS offers new functionality with the touch screen, second screen, and microphone. People want something new and interesting, not old and stale. This is why the Wii is kicking the shit out of all the other consoles combined in the retail market place.

    And in the end this is why I own 9 times more Wii games than 360 games. Whenever I look at the library it's just shooting games and sports games. Shooters haven't changed a whole lot in the last 5 years, with Half-Life 2 being the last true innovative game. Sports games are a yearly game that adds new rosters, and that's all the 360 offers.

    Wii > 360 > PS3

    Hell, DS > 360 > PS3

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Man, I wish wish wish Nintendo would port Wind Waker to the Wii with pointer controls + 16:9 mode.

    And the ability to use a DS for the Tingle Tuner instead of a GBA. I don't really understand why so few games have Wii-DS connectivity. It seems that there's a lot of games with GCN-GBA connectivity.

    Especially considering the increased popularity of the DS over the GBA, the increased popularity of the Wii over the GCN, and the fact that you don't need a fucking cable.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
Sign In or Register to comment.