Options

Game On Wii or 360/PS3?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's because people didn't except it the first time even though it was by and large totally awesome.

Excitebike on your GBA for free.

The best Pacman game ever.

The best FF game ever and the best Gauntlet style game ever.

Four Swords, best way to lose friends.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and the fact that I can almost guarantee that at least 50% of Wii owners own a DS.

I would bet that 100% of the Wii owners on this board own a DS and then about 75% of the DS owners own a Wii inversely.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    People wonder why the PSP isn't selling well. It's because it's a goddamn portable PS2. Big woop.

Actually people would LOVE a portable PS2... the PSP just seems like a portable PS1 if not a PS1.5...

And one of many reasons why the PSP ain't doin' so hott:
    The PSP offers a lot JGames that Jfans would LOVE to play... yet, the DS also has a ton of JGames that Jfans would LOVE to play.
    The thing that separates them?
    DS = adorable gaming handheld that looks like an accessory in a purse

But yeah, the stylus has something to do about it too. :P

And I'm not so sure that the XBox 360 games are just shined-up Xbox games... afterall, there wasn't THAT many great Xbox games as there are amazing Xbox 360 games (they definitely dished out a ton of games). And it wasn't the graphics that split the two, it was the new features. Either better AI or more options... or maybe both.

But yeah... I'd choose my Wii over my Elite. But that's mainly due to sentimental value & lovin' my Miis + all the accessories & peripherals that'd make you think your Wii's a buildable Transformer.

The Elite and its games are amazing... but it still just feels like a brain-draining video game-system rather than a party-time-system. ....and I sure do like party-time.

Oh, and... I hope with all the games coming out for the Wii in the near future (the ones that are goin' to kick arse) inspire more 3rd parties to at least TRY in making good Wii games.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SoshiKitai wrote: »
    People wonder why the PSP isn't selling well. It's because it's a goddamn portable PS2. Big woop.

Actually people would LOVE a portable PS2... the PSP just seems like a portable PS1 if not a PS1.5...

The PSP offers a lot JGames that Jfans would LOVE to play... yet, the DS also has a ton of JGames that Jfans would LOVE the play.

And I'm not so sure that the XBox 360 games are just shined-up Xbox games... afterall, there wasn't THAT many great Xbox games as there are amazing Xbox 360 games (they definitely dished out a ton of games). And it wasn't the graphics that split the two, it was the new features. Either better AI or more options... or maybe both.

But yeah... I'd choose my Wii over my Elite. But that's mainly due to sentimental value & lovin' my Miis + all the accessories & peripherals that'd make you think your Wii's a buildable Transformer.

The Elite and its games are amazing... but it still just feels like a brain-draining video game-system rather than a party-time-system. ....and I sure do like party-time.

Oh, and... I hope with all the games coming out for the Wii in the near future (the ones that are goin' to kick arse) inspire more 3rd parties to at least TRY in making good Wii games.

The biggest WTH moment for me was Halo 3. I rented it when it came out. I didn't get it. It played no different than Halo 2, or the original Halo, or, fuck, Perfect Dark on the N64? Why the hell is that game so popular?

At least something like Team Fortress 2 brings a interesting art style to the table and a great class system. Which is why The Orange Box is the only 360 game I own.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What games are left to come out for the Wii? There are also only a handful of great titles out there for the wii.
    Also whats wrong with FPS maybe thats why you don't enjoy the 360/PS3/PC. Many great games out there are FPS's and the wii only 1 good one I can think of

EDIT: Also with Halo playing the same as the last. What about brawl, plays the same, Kart plays the same hell even mario is the same game. Why wouldn't you keep it the same if it's so popular. There not going to change how the game plays that rediculous

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The PSP offers a lot JGames that Jfans would LOVE to play... yet, the DS also has a ton of JGames that Jfans would LOVE the play.

The biggest WTH moment for me was Halo 3. I rented it when it came out. I didn't get it. It played no different than Halo 2, or the original Halo, or, fuck, Perfect Dark on the N64? Why the hell is that game so popular?

At least something like Team Fortress 2 brings a interesting art style to the table and a great class system. Which is why The Orange Box is the only 360 game I own.

For me, Halo 3 was amazing for the stage-builder option...
    I LOVED building stages. That was awesome... especially the crazy fortresses and traps you could make.
    Oh, and saving replays = awesome.
    Love saving awfully retarded moments, only to relive them anytime I wish to.

But yeah, Orange Box is pretty awesome.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    What games are left to come out for the Wii? There are also only a handful of great titles out there for the wii.
    Also whats wrong with FPS maybe thats why you don't enjoy the 360/PS3/PC. Many great games out there are FPS's and the wii only 1 good one I can think of

There's alot of great Wii games. I'd list them but people have on multiple times so I won't bother.

As far as what's coming down the pipeline: this happens every year. Nintendo releases games in Fall and early Spring, then during E3 and the other trade shows they show off what's upcoming the next fall, and in between we get the quirky games out of nowhere.

And as far as your last comment, that IS why I don't enjoy the 360. I love First Person Shooters, but the problem is that at least half of the 360 library is First Person Shooters and there is so little that sets them apart.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

EDIT: Also with Halo playing the same as the last. What about brawl, plays the same, Kart plays the same hell even mario is the same game. Why wouldn't you keep it the same if it's so popular. There not going to change how the game plays that rediculous

Mario Kart? Yeah, it's the same. New courses and items and such, with WorldWide battles, and motorcycles (though, it's debatable whether that's good or not).

But Brawl???
    ...I dunno... tons of people would argue that it's nothing like the N64 version or Melee...
    That's one of the main reasons why some people HATE Brawl...

It plays pretty differently, and the characters definitely don't feel the same as they used to be...
    It's not as skill-based as Melee was... yet it isn't as easy-to-pick-up-and-play as the N64 was.

...Halo 3 did play differently, but not TOO differently.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The difference here is that Mario Kart is almost a genre in itself. There are alot of racing games on the market, but the silly, arcadey, shoot items at each other types of racing games are few and far between, so when we get a new Mario Kart, it's great because we typically haven't seen one in 3-5 years. There have been a few imitators, but nothing recent and definitely nothing on par with Mario Kart.

With Smash Bros, it's unique in the way it plays. When you break it down, the MK series, DoA, Tekken, SC are all very similar fighting games, typically utilizing combo systems and 1vs1 fighting systems. Smash Bros. introduces items, multi-tiered stages, and 4-player battle royales. Not to mention we haven't gotten a SSB in 7 years, and only 3 of them exist, with the differences between the first two being extreme.

Halo 3, on the other hand, doesn't do a whole lot different than, say, Timesplitters, Haze, Turok, Frontlines, Area 51, or all the other goddamn I-can't-tell-them-apart games on the market.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

There's alot of great Wii games. I'd list them but people have on multiple times so I won't bother.

As far as what's coming down the pipeline: this happens every year. Nintendo releases games in Fall and early Spring, then during E3 and the other trade shows they show off what's upcoming the next fall, and in between we get the quirky games out of nowhere.

And as far as your last comment, that IS why I don't enjoy the 360. I love First Person Shooters, but the problem is that at least half of the 360 library is First Person Shooters and there is so little that sets them apart.

Have you played bioshock? Mass effect? Call of Duty 4? Oblivion? None of these games play the same, looking at your GT you haven't even played any of these games so how can you comment on this? Each of these games are nothing alike, and the majority of 360's library isn't FPS's while the majority of the Wii's library is shovelware.

There aren't many great games for the Wii, looking at list of games released for wii there are more VC games I would want to play then Wii games

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Halo 3, on the other hand, doesn't do a whole lot different than, say, Timesplitters, Haze, Turok, Frontlines, Area 51, or all the other goddamn I-can't-tell-them-apart games on the market.
    I dunno... Timesplitters definitely felt VERY different from other FPS's... ...the arms were so stiff and the characters moved so fast, you'd wonder if you were playing a human or a clunky robot!!!
    o_o
    Despite that, I still liked Timesplitters... mainly cuz of the stage-building.
    ...I really like building stages...

And all this fighting-talk makes me miss Power Stone...

And all this racing-talk makes me miss Snowboard Kids..

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Have you played bioshock? Mass effect? Call of Duty 4? Oblivion? None of these games play the same, looking at your GT you haven't even played any of these games so how can you comment on this? Each of these games are nothing alike, and the majority of 360's library isn't FPS's while the majority of the Wii's library is shovelware.

There aren't many great games for the Wii, looking at list of games released for wii there are more VC games I would want to play then Wii games

I dunno... Oblivion did kinda' play like Morrowind... just... advanced.
    My opinion, of course.

Mass Effect & Bioshock can't really be compared to other games though... no matter what system it's on. O_o

Oh, and the majority of 360's hall-of-fame library is FPS's though... so most people would own more FPS's than other games on the 360 if they didn't pick and choose.

... games released should be focused on. RELEASED is the main word.
    Lots of good third party games coming out, so don't hold your breath.
    And ummm... did you count WiiWare games? Or is that counted with VC games?
    Because WiiWare games are pretty good too.

...and a lot of good VC games ain't BAD... since we did love those games in the past. Wouldn't be too surprising to have more great VC games than great released titles.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I dunno... Oblivion did kinda' play like Morrowind... just... advanced.
    My opinion, of course.

Mass Effect & Bioshock can't really be compared to other games though... no matter what system it's on. O_o

Oh, and the majority of 360's hall-of-fame library is FPS's though... so most people would own more FPS's than other games on the 360 if they didn't pick and choose.

... games released should be focused on. RELEASED is the main word.
    Lots of good third party games coming out, so don't hold your breath.
    And ummm... did you count WiiWare games? Or is that counted with VC games?
    Because WiiWare games are pretty good too.

...and a lot of good VC games ain't BAD... since we did love those games in the past. Wouldn't be too surprising to have more great VC games than great released titles.

I actully preffered Morrowind to oblivion but I know I'm the minority on that. It was a lot more open, true it made it very hard to acutually get through the main quests as you would always get distracted but I found it to be more enjoyable. Now if only Morrowwind had oblivions combat, that would of been awesome, or even better used the combat style from Dark Messiag: Might and Magic...oh I can dream

Dixon on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Halo 3 did a lot different from the games you listed with it's customizable multiplayer gameplay modes and maps, which can be created online with other people. And then there's the replay mode which was pretty damn amazing due to the size of the levels and all the action going on screen at once. It's extra amazing cause it has a free roam camera, instead of a camera locked behind the player that recorded it. Oh, and don't forget you can upload videos, screenshots, and maps to your online profile, which also shows all of your statistics for both online and offline play. Then there's the four player online co-op, which even now is pretty rare. There is also the fact that the game controls completely different then just about any other FPS with it's floaty and arcade like controls and gameplay.

Those were only the ones I could think of off the top of my head, as I haven't played the game in awhile.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I actully preffered Morrowind to oblivion but I know I'm the minority on that. It was a lot more open, true it made it very hard to acutually get through the main quests as you would always get distracted but I found it to be more enjoyable. Now if only Morrowwind had oblivions combat, that would of been awesome, or even better used the combat style from Dark Messiag: Might and Magic...oh I can dream

A lot more open? More like BEYOND more open.
    I often had no idea where I was going in that game... that's a good feeling sometimes. :P

Neva wrote: »
    Halo 3 did a lot different from the games you listed with it's customizable multiplayer gameplay modes and maps, which can be created online with other people. And then there's the replay mode which was pretty damn amazing due to the size of the levels and all the action going on screen at once. It's extra amazing cause it has a free roam camera, instead of a camera locked behind the player that recorded it. Oh, and don't forget you can upload videos, screenshots, and maps to your online profile, which also shows all of your statistics for both online and offline play. Then there's the four player online co-op, which even now is pretty rare. There is also the fact that the game controls completely different then just about any other FPS with it's floaty and arcade like controls and gameplay.

Those were only the ones I could think of off the top of my head, as I haven't played the game in awhile.

It's for that reason that many "hardcore-elite" FPS players hated the Halo series.
    ... it felt like ANYONE could learn how to play it.

:P I liked Halo... dunno why "having fun" could be considered as shit to hardcore-elitists...

But yeah, the free-roam camera that takes pictures & records = AMAZING.
    I had no idea games could do that until I saw it on Halo 3.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Call of Duty 4 would be the only one I would consider a First Person Shooter. Mass Effect are more RPGs than FPS, and Bioshock is more of a Adventure game akin to Metroid Prime. It'd be like calling that a FPS.

Edit: In the end it's all opinions and I don't expect to change yours and I don't expect yours to change mine.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Call of Duty 4 would be the only one I would consider a First Person Shooter. Mass Effect are more RPGs than FPS, and Bioshock is more of a Adventure game akin to Metroid Prime. It'd be like calling that a FPS.

So...then theres even more games out there for the 360 that aren't FPS's then...well it looks like the 360 library is pretty grade A :P.
    Also I'm just wondering is Sony or 360 abused you as a child max, you seem to bash then any chance you get

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So...then theres even more games out there for the 360 that aren't FPS's then...well it looks like the 360 library is pretty grade A :P.
    Also I'm just wondering is Sony or 360 abused you as a child max, you seem to bash then any chance you get

I think it was the idea that when the Wii came out... it was laughed at, scoffed at, trampled on, and desecrated upon just because it wasn't as powerful or graphic-mighty as the 2 other systems.

And now when the Wii's doing so well and third parties are finally gettin' their heads in the game (as well as some jewels found on WiiWare), people still mock it.

Wii-lovers tend to be defensive... thinking everyone's on the strike to look-down on the Wii.

The Wii's just finally learned how to walk a while back, and now it's learning how to run. So Wii-parents are making sure people don't make fun of the child named Wii, when he was just a slow-learner in the beginning.

Understandable to me. :)

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2008
    I regret my 360 purchase. All I can find for the damn thing is shooters of the first-person kind.
    This statement was dumb two years ago and it is dumb still.

It's almost as if you don't realize there are a ton of RPGs, platformers, sports titles, racers, and a wealth of unique and innovative stuff on arcade to choose from. Or choose to ignore it.

There is tons of variety on all of the consoles, and trying to say that the libraries suck on any of them is folly.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    This statement was dumb two years ago and it is dumb still.

It's almost as if you don't realize there are a ton of RPGs, platformers, sports titles, racers, and a wealth of unique and innovative stuff on arcade to choose from. Or choose to ignore it.

There is tons of variety on all of the consoles, and trying to say that the libraries suck on any of them is folly.

... I dunno... the PS3 does have some good titles... but it still feels lacking.
    I suppose the other things inside a PS3 make up for it, though.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Agreed.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

There is a decent-sized 360 library, I just find that when I'm looking at a shelf of games in a store there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variation.

360 abused me as a child. lol.

More imporantly I'm just trying to point out that the 360 isn't end-all to consoles and that the Wii has a better library than people seem to give it credit for.

I mean, fuck, the PS2 had more shovelware than any console in history with the possible exception of the Atari 2600 but people don't belittle it for it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

There is a decent-sized 360 library, I just find that when I'm looking at a shelf of games in a store there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variation.

More imporantly I'm just trying to point out that the 360 isn't end-all to consoles and that the Wii has a better library than people seem to give it credit for.

I mean, fuck, the PS2 had more shovelware than any console in history with the possible exception of the Atari 2600 but people don't belittle it for it.

LOL well if the 360 has abused you I can understand where your coming from then.

Dixon on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, now onto the topic at hand.

Would I want Metroid Prime or Super Mario Galaxy ported to the 360? Hell no. They fit perfectly on the console they were made for, and directly benefit from a design philosophy that included all the capabilities of the controller in a logical fashion.

Would Dead Rising have been as successful on the Wii? Hell no. A big part of what made that game great was the memory overhead of the system, which allowed for hundreds and hundreds of zombies on screen at once... an experience that would not translate well to the hardware capabilities of the Wii.

But if we are talking about Generic Ubisoft/EA titles, which make up the bulk of the cross platform games on the shelf, ten times out of ten I will buy the 360 version, since I have no faith in the PS2 to Wii port with tacked on waggle to be a superior experience to the xbox live / HD graphics version.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2008

LOL well if the 360 has abused you I can understand where your coming from then.

The 360 abused me as a child? I was born about 20 years ahead of it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm... well... back to the topic then.

I'd like a top-down basic RTS game on the Wii... can't see why the 360 gets them all (other than power).

As for games... ummm... er....
    Hmmm...
    I seriously can't think of anything.

I mean, I'd like it if DBZ wouldn't drop the DBZBT series for Burst Limit (amazing looking game)... the DBZBT series is awesome on the Wii.

Oh wait I know of one!
    There's that upcoming Zoids game that's a turn-based-strategy game!

Zoids Assault

As awesome as it'd be on the 360... it looks like something better fit for the PS3. IMO.
    ...needs better voice-acting though.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'd like a top-down basic RTS game on the Wii... can't see why the 360 gets them all (other than power).

Hmmm...

I mean, I'd like it if DBZ wouldn't drop the DBZBT series for Burst Limit (amazing looking game)... the DBZBT series is awesome on the Wii.

Oh wait I know of one!

As awesome as it'd be on the 360... it looks like something better fit for the PS3. IMO.

I stopped listening to this guy after I realize

1) He types.... like..... this...

2) He likes DBZ

3) He claims that people bashed on the Wii when it first came out because of it's inferior graphics and etc.

When the Wii first came out people embraced it. It was a breath of fresh air to a lot of people and everyone had the "I told you so" "Nintendo is the true Next Gen" attitude (I was one of those people). It is only now that this trendy console became stale and everyone has played out WiiSports that they are now bashing the console for it's tacked on waggle controls for most of it's games and the low production value of it's software library. Aside from Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and Brawl (all first party games and I can count them all on one hand even), most of the rest of the games are just shovelware. I remember sitting down with my little brother playing Resident Evil: UC. After 30 minutes I turned it off and said to him "This game is alright, but I would never pay 40 bucks for it" and he replied "I know! Right?" This seems to be my general attitude for most of the Wii games that I played.

People are starting to realize this. The Wii's gimmick is starting to reveal itself to some people and that's why this thread exist and why there's quite a few people sharing similar criticism. Of course there's still a lot of people out there that don't feel the same way as I do, people that are still enjoying it's controller and such. But for me, the Wii has lost it's steam.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bakatrinh wrote: »

Hmmm...

Oh wait I know of one!

2) He likes DBZ

3) He claims that people bashed on the Wii when it first came out because of it's inferior graphics and etc.

When the Wii first came out people embraced it. It was a breath of fresh air to a lot of people and everyone had the "I told you so" "Nintendo is the true Next Gen" attitude (I was one of those people). It is only now that this trendy console became stale and everyone has played out WiiSports that they are now bashing the console for it's tacked on waggle controls for most of it's games and the low production value of it's software library. Aside from Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and Brawl (all first party games and I can count them all on one hand even), most of the rest of the games are just shovelware. I remember sitting down with my little brother playing Resident Evil: UC. After 30 minutes I turned it off and said to him "This game is alright, but I would never pay 40 bucks for it" and he replied "I know! Right?" This seems to be my general attitude for most of the Wii games that I played.

People are starting to realize this. The Wii's gimmick is starting to reveal itself to some people and that's why this thread exist and why there's quite a few people sharing similar criticism. Of course there's still a lot of people out there that don't feel the same way as I do, people that are still enjoying it's controller and such. But for me, the Wii has lost it's steam.

There’s nothing wrong with typing like this...

DBZ is.... ok.

I agree with you on the rest. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Hmmm...

Oh wait I know of one!

2) He likes DBZ

1) Um, okay. This better?

2) So I like DBZ. Sue me. Nothing's wrong with ridiculous entertainment.

3) Not everyone welcomed it. Large groups, yes. But former gamer-pals kinda' split down the line whether or not the Wii was anything good. The uber-ps3 and uber-360 crowd had pitchforks and torches against the idea of the Wii. Wii Sports especially. The idea that always came across some people's minds were "Why don't you just go play those outside?" - But that's besides the point.
    Obviously we've seen two different crowds. Most of the debates I've been in, and people I've met (not enough evidence, but it still counts as some kind of credibility) have been the idea of the Wii's weak power and graphics. A "GameCube 1.5" as people always put it.

4) - - Why did you quote that post? Your comment would've been more understandable if you quoted any of my other posts. Not sure what that had to do with this post other than #2.

5) You don't have to like me. Most people don't. So - - what's the point of pointing that out?

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only one I'm completely serious about is the second one. Forcing resolutions has probably had a strong impact on the decline of splitscreen in Multiplayer games. It's just too much for the systems to handle at a managable framerate.

GTA IV also does suck compared to the previous three titles but I'm not sure HD/fancy new physics is the only culprit.

Couple of days late here, been away for the weekend, but it really does not. GTA IV is the one I'll actually be completing because it's both kept me interested long enough, and been playable enough to match. None of the others I've been able to play for longer than a few hours, because there'd be an inevitable collision between frustrating mission design and abysmal controls. And whoever whines about the car physics really has no clue. The cars are fantastic to drive.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Agreed.

Overall, each console has good variety, but each is weak in specific genres. Like the 360 lacks party games, while the Wii has an anemic RPG selection.

Serule on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    The only one I'm completely serious about is the second one. Forcing resolutions has probably had a strong impact on the decline of splitscreen in Multiplayer games. It's just too much for the systems to handle at a managable framerate.

GTA IV also does suck compared to the previous three titles but I'm not sure HD/fancy new physics is the only culprit.

Couple of days late here, been away for the weekend, but it really does not. GTA IV is the one I'll actually be completing because it's both kept me interested long enough, and been playable enough to match. None of the others I've been able to play for longer than a few hours, because there'd be an inevitable collision between frustrating mission design and abysmal controls. And whoever whines about the car physics really has no clue. The cars are fantastic to drive.
    Yeah I'm not really sure how GTA IV suddenly sucks. It is the best GTA I've played - missions were completable and the controls were great. The story was awesome and the MP adds more to this game than any other GTA.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Serule wrote: »
    Like the 360 lacks party games

Bomberman Live, Heavy Weapon, Scene It, Rock Band, and a gazillion popular multiplayer online games (mostly FPS). Yeah, the 360 sure lacks party games. /sarcasm

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Also forcing games into HD content has given developers the excuse to cut down or even cut out splitscreen multiplayer, another casualty of the HD generation.

If that's the excuse they're using it's not a very good one. If a game that looks as good as Gears of War can do splitscreen, so can whatever-else game.

I'd think the more common excuse for killing splitscreen would be the growth of online play. I mean, hotseat multiplayer on PC isn't as popular as it used to be either.

GoW is one of the problems, you clod. It only supports two person splitscreen! :P

I was unaware things could only be split into fourths. Guess I'll have to reconsider how I eat sandwiches...

Ranced wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    Games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 obviously would have looked better on the 360/PS3 and probably could have had more physics based gameplay (though with Mario that would have been hard to do). But the games were so well made for the Wii and the controls fit so well I don’t think I would’ve liked them any better on the more powerful systems.

MP3 with surround sound > MP3 without, especially considering it's an FPS. For me, the loss of surround (and the ability to spatially locate things that aren't onscreen) when moving from 360/PS3 to Wii is more jarring than the loss of HD.

I was under the impression that the Wii does have surround sound. I wouldn't know for sure myself as I don't have surround sound speakers.

Dolby Digital 5.1 (360, PS3), Pro Logic 2 (Wii)

The former is considerably better.

Super Mario Galaxy impressed the fuck out of me on my 5.1 system.

I never bothered hooking up my 360 to it though.

The difference between matrixed surround and true surround is like between an upscaled DVD and Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Both of them deliver a 720/1080 picture, but it's easy to tell which one is at native resolution and which one isn't.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah I'm not really sure how GTA IV suddenly sucks. It is the best GTA I've played - missions were completable and the controls were great. The story was awesome and the MP adds more to this game than any other GTA.

Well the problem I've had with my 360 party experiences is trying to explain controls to the non-gamer folk. This button this, that button does that, etc.

With something like Mario Kart, it's "Press this to go, press this to shoot stuff, and you turn the whole damn remote to steer." Simple.

And Wii Sports, for obvious reasons, is even easier.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Bomberman Live, Heavy Weapon, Scene It, Rock Band, and a gazillion popular multiplayer online games (mostly FPS). Yeah, the 360 sure lacks party games. /sarcasm

But, but, it doesn't have Mario Party 17! Or whatever part they're on.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Man...Mario Party 8 is like the worst game ever. I think 5 is pretty good they should of just remade that one and put it on the wii. But god does 8 suck, the one monopoly board is terrible and the games are so boring. The only board I like is the boo board and it's still not that great. There is one redeeming point to the game however, there's on mini game where you have to shake a pop can, and in the tutorial video they have like a little video clip of how to hold and use the remote, and it's freaky because it's those white puffy gloves like master hand or whatever and he's rubbing the wii-mote in a very prevocative way...damn that shit gave me nightmares

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Man...Mario Party 8 is like the worst game ever. I think 5 is pretty good they should of just remade that one and put it on the wii. But god does 8 suck, the one monopoly board is terrible and the games are so boring. The only board I like is the boo board and it's still not that great. There is one redeeming point to the game however, there's on mini game where you have to shake a pop can, and in the tutorial video they have like a little video clip of how to hold and use the remote, and it's freaky because it's those white puffy gloves like master hand or whatever and he's rubbing the wii-mote in a very prevocative way...damn that shit gave me nightmares

Yeah I played Mario Party 7 on the Gamecube with my family and the game was decent, we had some fun, but the one thing that annoyed me and the family was the slow annoying menu interface. I remember every menu I select, some guy pops up explaining what it does and then the menu slowly fades away or slides off, then the next menu fades or slide in. It took like 5 minutes just to get a game started. I was just screaming "get to the game already!". I figured they would've fixed this in Mario Party 8. I was wrong it was just as bad.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Haha, that game is hilarious.

The dude who wins is pretty much outed as the one who jerks off the most.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    W2 wrote: »

Haha, that game is hilarious.

The dude who wins is pretty much outed as the one who jerks off the most.

Yeah but try playing this game with your family...akward

Dixon on