As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Has Many Threads, but this is the Main one.

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Barnes and Nobles doesn't understand the point of a preorder.

Their customer service representatives were all very polite and very useless."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    the Metromanticthe Metromantic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "You see you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

the Metromantic on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I preordered with amazon and it said it'd ship today and it didn't either.

Not amused.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got my books from B&N today.

Tonight I DM'ed the "Kobold Hall" dungeon in the back of the DMG.

Two players, each playing two PCs.

Dragonborn Fighter
    Dwarf Cleric
    Human Wizard
    Eladrin Warlock
    We all had a lot of fun but the dungeon was pretty hard on the PCs. The cleric and warlock each went down twice... and they had to leave the dungeon before the final encounter with the young white dragon because the Warlock was unconscious and had spent all his healing surges. They got the Wyrmpriest and his cronies though.

It was fun... we all love 4e.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    EleazarDMMEleazarDMM Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I pre-ordered from Amazon Wednesday, June 4. (I wasn't sure about getting into D&D. It's new to me.) I thought it was all set to ship today, but it's giving me an estimated delivery of July 23.

Did anybody else order that recently? (Man I feel stupid.)

EleazarDMM on
    E N G I N E E R
  • Options
    TrakkerTrakker Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    B&N emailed me today.
    Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the merchandise listed below in the time frame indicated in our previous email. We anticipate that your merchandise will be shipped within the next 1-5 business days.
    :cry:

Trakker on
    Brawl Friend Code:
    2105-8311-5414
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hear there's some sort of coupon for B&N online orders here.

SO I HEAR.

If not, Amazon!

EDIT: Or is B&N fucking people up?

Greeper on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »

SO I HEAR.

If not, Amazon!

B&N fucking sucks is what's up, do Amazon or Walmart.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

SO I HEAR.

If not, Amazon!

B&N fucking sucks is what's up, do Amazon or Walmart.

Amazon's no good. I ordered the books last week, but they haven't shipped yet, and now the Amazon page says the books won't be in stock until the 16th.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is anyone here planning on attending the scheduled D&D game day tomorrow? Or have stories of game days past?

I've been tossing the idea around my head a bit.. just wondering if they were at all worthwhile.

the Metromantic on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anyone here planning on attending the scheduled D&D game day tomorrow?

I'm going to be going to the local store tomorrow. I was the second name on the sign-up sheet but the guy there said lots of people were saying they were just going to sign up the day of.

I'm kind of hoping I'll meet some people to play with regularly there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Kaiser4149Kaiser4149 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

SO I HEAR.

If not, Amazon!

I just checked the price difference at Amazon(I didn't know about their shipping difficulties.) and even with B&N's coupon the difference is only a $3 - $5.

Kaiser4149 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that's what I was kind of hoping for too. A potential regular group. This is kind of my pen and paper outing, I suppose. Thanks 4e.

Who knows. We'll see what happens. Is it sad that I want my wife to come along and play as the halfling paladin just for the mini? :oops:

the Metromantic on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Most of the time after the games you can get the minis from other people. A lot of people just come to try it out and then don't care about the mini.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What is the difference between a power that has "close burst 5" and "target yourself or one ally," and the same power with "ranged 5" instead of "close burst 5?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    B&N wrote:
    Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the merchandise listed below in the time frame indicated in our previous email. We anticipate that your merchandise will be shipped within the next 1-5 business days. (Please note: business days are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays observed by the Post Office.)

Fuck you, Barnes and Nobles

This is why I fucking PREORDERED

I got that same email. Damn it all, damn it to hell!

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    ZetaStrikerZetaStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A Close Burst has the caster(or their ally, in your example) as a target square, and extends a number of squares out as the number implies. So a burst 5 is an 11x11 square area. Now, if it says Area Burst 5 in 10, or something, you can place the center of that Burst anywhere within 10 squares.

The difference between Burst and Blast, besides the fact that I think Blasts are ALWAYS Close, is that Blasts cover an area equal to their number. A Close Blast 5 is a 5x5 area that needs to have at least one edge immediately adjacent to the caster.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that Close and Melee attacks don't incur Opportunity Attacks, while Area and Ranged attacks do.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A Close Burst has the caster(or their ally, in your example) as a target square, and extends a number of squares out as the number implies. So a burst 5 is an 11x11 square area. Now, if it says Area Burst 5 in 10, or something, you can place the center of that Burst anywhere within 10 squares.

The difference between Burst and Blast, besides the fact that I think Blasts are ALWAYS Close, is that Blasts cover an area equal to their number. A Close Blast 5 is a 5x5 area that needs to have at least one edge immediately adjacent to the caster.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that Close and Melee attacks don't incur Opportunity Attacks, while Area and Ranged attacks do.
    Ah, so your answer is "it does not provoke opportunity attacks," since they're mechanically identical (I understand what a close burst is, I just didn't see the difference between the two scenarios I mentioned above).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anyone here planning on attending the scheduled D&D game day tomorrow? Or have stories of game days past?

I've been tossing the idea around my head a bit.. just wondering if they were at all worthwhile.

Did this today in fact and prepared to run the module, but due to time and people showing up late had to change everything on the fly. I had to run a module I had literally 5 minutes of familiarity with and do everyone on the wing. Everyone really enjoyed it though and in the end, someone got to slam an axe through the ribcage of a white dragon so nobody was displeased.

Overall though, the actual module (which I didn't get to run due to time) needs some modifications. Most of the DC checks are ridiculous for level 1 characters and have over-severe punishments. The final encounter is literally out of a killer DM scenario if your players go one way before the other. The opening 'puzzle' I basically re-wrote and overall, I don't think it's a good module at all.

Everyone seems to really like 4th edition though and most of us were not at all very interested in it when we first heard about it. So it's definitely won some friends.

As I write my campaign, I'll post it on the forums as a series of modules for general use.

Edit: If people are curious from my statements about rules in the other thread, I played with 2 people who had last played 1st edition. Someone who had played 2nd/3rd edition, another person who played a bit of 3rd and someone with zero DnD experience. This is why I am so pedantic about being consistent with rules, because nearly everyone I played with I A) Didn't know and B) Hadn't played much DnD (or only had 1st edition)

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    dscrilla wrote: »
    delroland wrote: »
    God is punishing you for having a Pokemon avatar.

Edit: And... I'm retarded. Sorry, Totoro.

Don't you dare insult Totoro, people with rotund catlike avatars unite!

For your consideration:
    1188368891381.jpg

Nice one arsehole - got any goatse? Or just some pics of Calving raping Hobbes?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What is the difference between a power that has "close burst 5" and "target yourself or one ally," and the same power with "ranged 5" instead of "close burst 5?"

Also, Close Burst does not require line of sight.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cantide wrote: »
    Amazon's no good. I ordered the books last week, but they haven't shipped yet, and now the Amazon page says the books won't be in stock until the 16th.

Well shit, I don't see the out of stock notice on amazon.ca, but that would explain why the order I put in for a second set is currently listed as shipping in mid July or mid August. I really hope that's just them working out stock after a massive series of sales or something, as I'd feel bad for the friends I'm ordering for if they have to wait another 2+ months to get their books.

Also, got mine! Holy shit, changes! While the abilities are still there for the most part (Paladins don't get mounts anymore?) it's all so new and daunting. I haven't a clue what I'd like to play, and that's both wonderful and surprising.

Now all I need is the virtual table and we can start throwing down the (virtual) dice!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ZetaStrikerZetaStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, location still matters too. You can't place Close Burst anywhere but on yourself. If you tried to do that with an Area Burst, you'd take damage too.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jumping

When a character is level 30, they have +15 (1/2 level) + 10 (30 Strength, high but whatever) + 5 (trained) = +30

High Jump on an average roll with running jump is 10 + 30 / 5 = 8ft. vertical leap, nice.

Long Jump on an average roll with running jump is 10 + 30 / 5 = 8 squares = 40ft. Goddamn, son.

Height at the apex of such a long jump is 1/4 the horizontal distance 40ft. / 4 = 10ft.

Wait, you jump higher when doing a long jump than a high jump on the same roll? Neato.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well I'm glad I phoned ahead to the bookshop, they've got lots of them on order but none have arrived yet. I'll have to try again on Monday, I suppose.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I just got back from D&D Game Day. My experience was mostly positive. I say mostly because the people running the event made one error that kind of sucked. All the characters were pre-generated, and there were two sets. They had a group of level one characters (human fighter, dwarven fighter, half-elven rogue, eladrin wizard, human cleric) with sheets already made up, and a level one adventure consisting of four encounters.

Miniatures were also handed out to match the character sheets, and inside the miniatures were also cards with higher level characters on them. I have the cards and miniatures for a level 4 warlock and a level 8 cleric, although I didn't really look at the two fighters or the rogue. These characters were meant for the "fight the white dragon" encounter. However, all the DMs at the event I attended were having the players use the level one groups, and then they were wondering why the dragon won every time.

I tried out the dragon encounter first before the adventure, and chose the wizard because I was curious how the new mechanics worked for that class. I was completely useless as a level one wizard as the dragon resisted every spell I cast and set about essentially destroying us all.

However, once I got to play the level one adventure, I had a good time. Our DM kind of fudged a lot of the rules, but it was ok. I didn't want to be a dickhead rules lawyer, and got a good feel for the new system. I also got a free D20! Woo hoo!

It's definitely worth checking out, if only to get a chance to play with new people, and it was a fun way to spend my Saturday afternoon.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    These characters were meant for the "fight the white dragon" encounter. However, all the DMs at the event I attended were having the players use the level one groups, and then they were wondering why the dragon won every time.

:p

That does make sense. My excuse is that I had to switch from the [mostly re-written into Aegeri + some reduced DCs to make it more forgiving] that I had well prepared to the Dragon encounter at the last minute. However, all of my players were new, wanted to see how the game played and so I didn't metagame the dragon effectively at all (allowing them to get away with blue murder etc). It also didn't heal itself and I did not make maximum use of its various abilities.

I do see now that the cards would have made it a very different encounter. Oops.

Edit: My players still won, because I realised there had to be something wrong with a level 1 party vs. a white dragon. So I changed my tactics and general way of doing things so it wasn't anywhere near as brutal. The store owner was a good fellow and gave the white dragon model to the fellow who killed it (he inflicted the last 25 points of damage on it [I reduced its overall HP by 50 as well]).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    These characters were meant for the "fight the white dragon" encounter. However, all the DMs at the event I attended were having the players use the level one groups, and then they were wondering why the dragon won every time.

:p

That does make sense. My excuse is that I had to switch from the [mostly re-written into Aegeri + some reduced DCs to make it more forgiving] that I had well prepared to the Dragon encounter at the last minute. However, all of my players were new, wanted to see how the game played and so I didn't metagame the dragon effectively at all (allowing them to get away with blue murder etc). It also didn't heal itself and I did not make maximum use of its various abilities.

I do see now that the cards would have made it a very different encounter. Oops.

Edit: My players still won, because I realised there had to be something wrong with a level 1 party vs. a white dragon. So I changed my tactics and general way of doing things so it wasn't anywhere near as brutal. The store owner was a good fellow and gave the white dragon model to the fellow who killed it (he inflicted the last 25 points of damage on it [I reduced its overall HP by 50 as well]).

I didn't see your post until after I finished typing mine.

It's an honest mistake. I'd be some kind of asshole if I was pissed off at the people running the campaign. They were strangers that volunteered to come in and DM for us. I didn't even realize that we should have been using the characters on the cards for the dragon encounter until we were well into the level one adventure and we took a break, and I don't know if anyone else realized that either.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They were strangers that volunteered to come in and DM for us.

None stranger than me hahahahaha har.
    I didn't even realize that we should have been using the characters on the cards for the dragon encounter until we were well into the level one adventure and we took a break, and I don't know if anyone else realized that either.

Neither did I, because it doesn't actually say. All I got was "Against the White Dragon", I had read it before but had forgot about it, so I had to read it immediately and make a judgement call on how to run it. There is no indication [for the DM] anywhere that you are supposed to use the character cards on it, so I had a look at it and just played things with a less stringent win condition (just get to the victory point area), simplifying the area terrain rules (so things were not in the Dragons favour) and spreading the dragons attacks out over the party.

The mage 'bamfing' into the dragons chamber and then getting eaten was funny though. Funnier was the Cleric getting his head chewed off immediately afterwards. But the Dragon was already near dead by that point and was slain the next turn (much to the players satisfaction - bearing in mind DnD is not about killing the players).

Also to Than, the dragon has an excellent example of a close blast weapon (it's breath weapon). It's really nasty, 3d6 + 4 cold damage and the target is both slowed and weakened. Best of all, the instant the Dragon becomes bloodied it gets to use its breath weapon for free straight away (even if it wasn't recharged!).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We didn't last long enough to bloody the dragon. The breath weapon bonus sounds awful.

There's a small flier, for lack of a better term, that came with the rest of the promotional materials. It says on it:

Monster Arena - Test the mettle of your adventuring party against the might of a White Dragon in a toe-to-talon battle that'll give you a chance to really flex your 4th Edition powers and abilities.

I was browsing the promotional materials while the rest of the party was on smoke/bathroom break, and that's how I figured out the character card thing. As far as I know there was no other indication that they were supposed to be used.

I wish I had access to the White Dragon info. I'd kind of like to see everything he can do. All I know is he was hitting us with two claws and a bite and we were dead, just like that.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    We didn't last long enough to bloody the dragon. The breath weapon bonus sounds awful.

Yes, I either deliberately avoided using it or when I did, I used it only on characters I knew could take it. Then if I bloodied/injured those characters, I did not finish them off deliberately with the dragons melee attacks.
    There's a small flier, for lack of a better term, that came with the rest of the promotional materials. It says on it:

Monster Arena - Test the mettle of your adventuring party against the might of a White Dragon in a toe-to-talon battle that'll give you a chance to really flex your 4th Edition powers and abilities.

I was browsing the promotional materials while the rest of the party was on smoke/bathroom break, and that's how I figured out the character card thing. As far as I know there was no other indication that they were supposed to be used.

Ahhhhh.
    I wish I had access to the White Dragon info. I'd kind of like to see everything he can do. All I know is he was hitting us with two claws and a bite and we were dead, just like that.

I have it right in front of me and your wish is my command. I'll put it under a spoiler just in case:
    Young White Dragon Level 3 Solo Brute.
    Large natural magical beast (Dragon)
    Initiative +1 Senses Perception +7; Darkvision
    HP 200; Bloodied 100; see also bloodied breath
    AC 18; Fortitude 17; Refex 16: Will 17
    Resist: 15 cold
    Saving Throws: +5
    Speed 6 (Ice walk), fly 6 (hover), overland flight 10
    Action points: 2 (!!)
    m bite (standard; at-will) cold
    Reach 2; +6 vs AC; 1d8 + 4 plus 1d6 cold damage (+1d6 on successful opportunity attack)
    m claw (standard; at will)
    Reach 2; +6 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage.
    M Dragons fury (standard; at will)
    The dragon makes 2 claw attacks. If the dragon hits a single target with both claws, it makes a bite attack against the same target.
    C Breath Weapon (standard, recharge on a roll of 5/6 on a D6) cold
    Close blast; +4 vs. reflex save; 3d6 + 4 cold damage, and the target is slowed and weakened (save ends both)
    C Bloodied breath
    This is the same as above, except that the dragon uses it as a free action, it can do it only once and it occurs when it becomes first bloodied. It's also used immediately making it extremely nasty.
    C Frightful presence (standard; encounter) Fear
    Close burst 5; targets enemies; +4 vs will; the target is stunned until the end of the dragon's next turn. Aftereffect: the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).
    Alignment: Evil Languages: Draconic
    Skills: Athletics +15
    Str 18 Dex 10 Wis 12
    Con 18 Int 10 Cha 8

Aegeri on
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

For your consideration:
    1188368891381.jpg

No actually, though it would be relatively easy to obtain either.

A fundamental difference however. The first is disgusting, the second is odd, but the picture I posted is awesome.

Regardless, 4e is awesome, and Barnes and Noble sucks for not having it even though I pre-ordered.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

For your consideration:
    1188368891381.jpg

No actually, though it would be relatively easy to obtain either.

A fundamental difference however. The first is disgusting, the second is odd, but the picture I posted is awesome.

Regardless, 4e is awesome, and Barnes and Noble sucks for not having it even though I pre-ordered.

I don't understand what the problem is. I expected the picture to be tubgirl or something.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess I just really love Totoro and I have a very good memory for some stuff so now that picture will forever pollute my childish dreams.

Still, FreeAgent is cool for his calm response to my swearing. 8-)

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess I just really love Totoro and I have a very good memory for some stuff so now that picture will forever pollute my childish dreams.

No worries, I had thought it would be more enjoyed than childhood destroying, so my bad. Just thank god nobody asked about Liz and Jon from Garfield.

Thank God.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah i just got back from a midnight running of the level 1 chars and it was fun decent group though some mistakes made by the players that i think the DM compensated for. i ended up getting some dice from the DM afterwards, along with the d20 and figure, cause he already had a ton of dice.

and now some more event specific stuff from the event
    well we had a bit of a slow start figuring out the puzzle at the begining of the dungeon i figured out how to move the statues like your supposed to just not in the right way, think the DM just gave up and let us open the door when we tried to push the door open again. while fighting the 2 orcs(?) at the beginning me (the cleric) and the dwarf fighter ended up landing in the coffins and making them explode, the dwarf by ending his turn on it and me by failing my roll to jump it (cursed 1 roll) oddly we both survived the resulting flames unscathed.

after we finished them off the ghost from the puzzle reappeared and had me replace and bless the scattered bones and then showed us a cache with a potion in it. then we moved into the cave with the weak roof and found the room with the boys in it. then due to a bad roll from the rogue trying to disarm the trap with the boys the ceiling started shaking so the human warrior freed the kids and took one out of the circle which awoke the statues, then after the some small attempts to hurt the statues and the kids running away we chased after them with the roof falling on us, luckily we didn't die but got hurt by rocks quite a bit. so we decided to leave with the kids to find the elf and his skeletons at the front door which we dispatched with the help of the ghost and a well place sleep spell on the elf. so we left with the kids and our loot to claim our reward the end

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

No worries, I had thought it would be more enjoyed than childhood destroying, so my bad. Just thank god nobody asked about Liz and Jon from Garfield.

Thank God.

Liz and Jon from Garfield???

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was anyone else slightly disappointed that a quick Google image search didn't turn up any Calvin on Hobbes surprise butt sex?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yea, but tell your players that they almost never want to do basic attacks. They're irrelevant.

Unless they took Careful Shot or something....

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    At first, I thought they layout of this book was OK. Now I realize that I was horribly, horribly wrong.
    Really. It annoys the hell out of me.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.