As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Statutory [Rap]

• Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    I don't care if Talib Kweli went mainstream, The Beautiful Struggle is a good album.

I seriously don't understand why so many people don't like it.
    I find expectations can ruin music for me, at least the first few times I listen to it, even if (a) I'm not consciously aware of the expectations or (b) I consciously try to suppress my expectations.

Oh yeah, about The Love Below: they sold over 5 million of the double albums! It's up there in music history with Thriller (even though it's only because sales of a double album count twice, which I think is dumb, but still)! What do you want?

Jesus! Thats... wow. I dont really like their new song though, but not because I was expecting another pop classic like 'Hey Ya' but because it doesnt grab me at all.
    They have a new song?

Also: the only other hip hop albums certified diamond (10 million copies, or "copies" in this case) are the MC Hammer album (ugh) and Life After Death. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below also won Album of the Year. And when "The Way You Move" took over number 1 on Billboard from "Hey Ya!," Outkast became the first group since the Beatles to have a number 1 song on Billboard followed by another one of their songs as number 1.

Quick edit: Thriller sold 27 million in the US alone, so even though Speakerboxx/The Love Below isn't too far behind in the rankings, it is pretty far behind in actual units sold. But still, extremely successful album.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah its called 'The Mighty O'

I actually thought Speakerboxx/The Love Below was their last album despite the success they'd had. Maybe it was 'The Mighty $'? olol

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Fuggit -- let's get this hip hop joint bumping. I'mma post some of my favorite lyrics. If anyone hasn't heard Atmosphere's Lucy Ford EP, y'all are slipping. I don't care what anyone says about anybody, these lyrics are incredible:
    Slug wrote:
    I used to know this woman who had the most beautiful
    tattoos on the top sides of both of her hands
    She was forty-three years old and as far as I know
    had never yet been with a man
    It's not that she wasn't attractive;
    she was beautiful, but it was the way that she interacted
    She was aggresively passive to the point where she
    would've intimidated any man that ever tried to catch it
    on the right hand she had a tattoo of a nude girl
    she claimed it is what God resembled
    but on the left she had a mirrored image of the same female
    and this one she explained looked like the devil
    I remember once watching her touch her own breasts
    how the tattoos smiled as they stared down her stomach
    as if anticipating when they'd be allowed to caress
    the sweet flower that they both seemed to hunger (sweet flower)
    Now maybe I was high but it felt so right
    heaven and hell both take to this woman's womb
    It didn't make sense how she could commence
    touching herself with me wide awake in the same room
    but if I've learned anything in my years (my years)
    I learned I no longer believe in surprise (in surprise)
    but what happened next damn near stold my tears
    the tattoos came alive right in front of my eyes
    they both slowly stood up and climbed off her hands
    and showed me why she never took some time with a man
    they climbed deep inside of this woman's garden
    she closed her eyes and she gently bit her bottom lip
    I stepped I left and I don't regret leaving
    and I'll never forget all the things I saw that evening
    a glimpse of religion a piece of coming closer
    to understanding more about what intrigues me most
    I didn't get turned on I just got turned
    I wasn't as aroused as I was concerned
    for each one of em I've hurt
    and every time I've been burned
    I've got a lot to teach but even more to learn
    so now I keep my eyes open hoping to take in all I can
    about women taking in all she can
    And for as long as I breathe I'll save receipt in my memory
    for that woman with the tattooed hands

(Chorus: repeat 5x till song fades)
    There's good and evil in each individual fire
    Identifies needs and feeds our desire
    As long as we keep our spirit inspired
    She can bite her bottom lip all she wants
    Kind of reminds me of "No Regrets" by Aesop Rock, actually.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I think the last hip hop release that got me even remotely excited was Beauty and the Beat by Edan. It's like a lo-fi, super reverby, sort of trippy hip hop with strong roots in old school rap. All the stuff by Edan is pretty cool, although Beauty and the Beat is definitely the most interesting of all his stuff.

Agree with that. His DJ work isn't that bad either. He doesn't do much scratching or cutting on Fast Rap, but his track selection and album cohesiveness is top-notch.

Aceyalone - all the members of Haiku D'Etat actually. Also check Lyrics Born, Pharaohe Monch, and Royce da 5'9".

BubbaT on
  • Options
    MoriartyMoriarty __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    i've been listening to a lot of buck 65 lately

edit: his older stuff, that is

his newer stuff is good, but it's not really hip hop

Moriarty on
    will suck dick for shock images and videos
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Anyone into the UK scene? Like Skrein, Jehst and Klashnekoff?

Jehst - Alcoholic Author is one of my favourite tracks of all time.
    Check out his myspace and listen to some tracks: http://www.myspace.com/jeh5t

I saw Immortal Technique and KRS One live last month. Some of the best shows I've ever seen.

#14 on
  • Options
    chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    #14 wrote:

I saw Immortal Technique and KRS One live last month. Some of the best shows I've ever seen.

OMG.

That accent in hip-hop is tripped out. Me likes =)

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    #14 wrote:

OMG.

That accent in hip-hop is tripped out. Me likes =)

Roots Manuva. Get now.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Seriously though, If anyone is interested in hearing Alcoholic Author, pm me, I'll send a copy of the album trough airmail, ahum. People need to hear that track.

#14 on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Deltron 3030 is the best hip hop album I have ever heard. I'm sad that Del isn't making another album in this kind of setting again.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    DJ Cam Cam wrote:
    Deltron 3030 is the best hip hop album I have ever heard. I'm sad that Del isn't making another album in this kind of setting again.

Very good album indeed.

#14 on
  • Options
    MoriartyMoriarty __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    i take it you aren't a dj, dj cam cam

because i fail to see how someone could possibly think deltron 3030, while a good album, is the BEST hip hop album ever

Moriarty on
    will suck dick for shock images and videos
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    DJ Cam Cam wrote:

Its a fucking masterpiece.

aquabat on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Moriarty wrote:
    i take it you aren't a dj, dj cam cam

because i fail to see how someone could possibly think deltron 3030, while a good album, is the BEST hip hop album ever
    Because it dosn't sound like anything else around it. Its like an entire story everytime that I play it through. And the setting of the CD is freaking awsome, I mean he is a mercenary in fucking 3030.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    So how about Public Enemy? Chuck D is one of my favorite MCs, but I think he didn't do enough to take control of the group and do more of the rapping. The other members did not deserve nearly as much attention. I really love "Bring The Noise," especially the opening verse. Especially especially the version with Anthrax.

Also: I love A Tribe Called Quest this much:
    <
    >

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    So how about Public Enemy? Chuck D is one of my favorite MCs, but I think he didn't do enough to take control of the group and do more of the rapping. The other members did not deserve nearly as much attention. I really love "Bring The Noise," especially the opening verse. Especially especially the version with Anthrax.

Also: I love A Tribe Called Quest this much:
    <
    >

Bring Tha Noise drops wickedly with Led Zep's Kashmir. In fact its the best thing I've ever heard, ever

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    DJ Cam Cam wrote:
    I mean he is a mercenary in fucking 3030.

Why have I never heard of this? Anything with a message seems to get no play anymore.

Thats that guy from Clint Eastwood by the Gorillaz. Isnt he Ice Cube's cousin?

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Holy Shit!

De La Soul's "The Grind Date" is "Ritual: Nous Sommes Du Soleol"

Anyone know if it's a sample?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    What are some of MF Dooms more 'superhero based' tracks? He didnt release a concept album about such a thing did he? Cuz that would be the tops.

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    DJ Cam Cam wrote:

Why have I never heard of this? Anything with a message seems to get no play anymore.

Dude! DUDE!
    You need to download everything and anything with Del the Funky Homosapien. He's one of the best MC's out there and one of the easiest to get into.

aquabat on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't care if Talib Kweli went mainstream, The Beautiful Struggle is a good album.

I seriously don't understand why so many people don't like it.

just listening to the first track right now. if this is mainstream then it's nice to see a mainstream artist with such great lyrics.

second track now... yeah, i know i'm going to love this disc.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    DJ Cam Cam wrote:

Dude! DUDE!
    You need to download everything and anything with Del the Funky Homosapien. He's one of the best MC's out there and one of the easiest to get into.

The fact that he can have that name and not get laughed says a lot about how good he is.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    What are some of MF Dooms more 'superhero based' tracks? He didnt release a concept album about such a thing did he? Cuz that would be the tops.
    Are you kidding? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Doomsday

Let me know if you find a copy.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

I've got that, and it's fantastic.

Bongo on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

Damn, is that out of print? My homeboy used to have that disc way back when and I could never get into it then. I've since re-listened to it and finally figured out what I was missing. Good shit.

Also, yes, Del is Ice Cube's cousin, and I don't care what anyone says, I like Dr. Octagon better than Deltron 3030.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WOOT! I'm listening to The Roots Game Theory for the first time as I type this. I'm geeked as shit. So far, so awesome.

edit1: woah this is good. Already WAY THE FUCK more progressive and interesting than The Tipping Point and I'm on the first song. The Roots are going to turn some heads with this one. This is what Phrenology hinted at, finally starting to be delivered.

edit2: I just hit the single and this is rad. So far this is definitely one of the best Roots albums yet.

edit3: Really, this joint is damn bananas. This is the hip hop album I've been dying to hear for some time now. Thank god for the Roots.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:

Damn, is that out of print? My homeboy used to have that disc way back when and I could never get into it then. I've since re-listened to it and finally figured out what I was missing. Good shit.
    It's been out of print for quite a while because he never got the rights to use Dr. Doom and Marvel got pissed. I've seen it on sale used for $60 to $100, but that's about it. I've never heard it, although I love DOOM.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Seriously though, guys -- this new Roots is fucking incredible. This is definitely the hip hop album I've been waiting to hear. I got one track pegged as a Beck homage, and right toward the end of the album there's a very clear and very intentional phrasing of Radiohead's "You and Whose Army", on top of that there's beautiful instrumentation, predictably some of the best drums you'll hear on a hip hop joint in a while, Black Thought might be turning in his best performance yet. Man -- this shit is good.

I think they have songs on myspace.com, go there and listen people, it's bananas.

Also, to think, this album is more than 10 years into their career, seventh full length album. They're quickly pushing De La Soul status for consistency and longevity.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Seriously though, guys -- this new Roots is fucking incredible. This is definitely the hip hop album I've been waiting to hear. I got one track pegged as a Beck homage, and right toward the end of the album there's a very clear and very intentional phrasing of Radiohead's "You and Whose Army", on top of that there's beautiful instrumentation, predictably some of the best drums you'll hear on a hip hop joint in a while, Black Thought might be turning in his best performance yet. Man -- this shit is good.

I think they have songs on myspace.com, go there and listen people, it's bananas.

Yeah man, Black Thought is on FIRE, though at points I swear it's Mos.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:

b-a-n-a-n-a-s bananas

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

b-a-n-a-n-a-s bananas
    oh god punching you so hard

ten thousand fists

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

b-a-n-a-n-a-s bananas

For B-A-N-A-N-A, it's D-O-L-E Dole!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MandooMandoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    This thread is missing two extremely important things: Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves and anything by Kool Keith.

A Prince Among Thieves is 36 track hip hopera from the producer of De La Soul, Stetsasonic, Handsome Boy Modeling School, among other stuff. Coincidentally, it has my favorite de la soul track ever, More Than U Know.

And Kool Keith, how can in 5 pages no one mention Dr. Octagon, Dr. Dooom, Black Elvis, or any of his other personas? Dr. Octagonecologyst is such an awesome album. If you've got Viktor Vaughn 2: Venomous Villain then you've heard him on the track Doper Skiller. His lyrics always always crack me up. I was going to see him live on valentine's day (for what would have been one hell of a raunchy show) but he got snowed in during the new york blizzards.

Mandoo on
    652377356x237oy6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I got the new Ugly Duckling album. How can a band put out one amazing record (Journey to Anywhere) that is nuanced, thought out, fun, meaningful and then follow it up with albums that sound exactly the same as each other. I used to like UD's fun party stuff until it became every record they make now.

It makes me a sad 'bat

aquabat on
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Guys..im disappointed in you...Optimus Rhyme need I say more.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    I got the new Ugly Duckling album. How can a band put out one amazing record (Journey to Anywhere) that is nuanced, thought out, fun, meaningful and then follow it up with albums that sound exactly the same as each other. I used to like UD's fun party stuff until it became every record they make now.

It makes me a sad 'bat

If you like Ugly Duckling (even just their early stuff), check out Time Machine, one of my favorites (the flash music player on their site should give you a good feel for them).

Bongo on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Bongo wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

It makes me a sad 'bat

If you like Ugly Duckling (even just their early stuff), check out Time Machine, one of my favorites (the flash music player on their site should give you a good feel for them).

Already into them man! Good stuff.

aquabat on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jedi Mind Tricks is pretty good, as is Aesop rock.

The new Ghostface Killah album is quite good, too.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:

I can't listen to JMT just because Vinnie Paz is such a fucker.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:

I can't listen to JMT just because Vinnie Paz is such a fucker.

JMT is a love hate relationship for me, I dig them a lot, but as soon as Vinnie Paz opens his mouth, well, fuck.

And am I the only one that can't stand Aesop Rock's voice? I'd dig his music a whole lot if it weren't for his voice. It just grates my nerves.

[spoiler:65bbbb6f4a]Just like Del's, though I power through that because Del is super rad. Even if he hasn't changed his live playset in what seems like years.[/spoiler:65bbbb6f4a]

Bongo on