As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Silent Horizon

IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatterSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
This thread is for OOC information, party formation, figuring out the builds you want to use so you can do horrible things to my poor NPCs, and so forth. I'll pump some setting info onto here at some point, and maybe keep a tally of NPCs if you don't kill them all.

RULES & GUIDELINES
1. This is a game. It's about fun. Yours and that of others.

2. This is not a hard core serious game. Sometimes you will witness the majesty of a dragon as it soars through the sky, letting you know that there is still beauty in the universe, sometimes that same dragon will poop on your magical chariot that you just washed and waxed. My inspirations are as much Adult Swim as Shakespeare. See Rule #1

3. Your hero needs to be able to get along with the rest of the party. They don't have to like them or agree with them, but they need to behave and react in such a way as to allow the adventure to continue. Do not let your character become so extreme in their behavior or beliefs that the team can no longer function, because then you are in violation of Rule #1.

4. Show up and stay. If you can't, warn us as soon as humanly possible. Five other people have devoted their time to the idea of you showing up, and depend on your presence, and could be doing a lot of other things on their Sunday nights. Respect that. Just leaving the group hanging is worse than skipping out on a date; you are skipping out on FIVE dates at all once. If that isn't enough, I am the cook in this dating scenario, and have slaved over a hot oven for you for at least six hours during the week, and I really do not appreciate having to Doggy Bag it.

5. The game and reality are to have nothing to do with each other. Two characters arguing should NEVER become two players arguing. If you have a problem with another player you take it up with ME, and you do it AFTER the game unless it is absolutely disruptive. This is what I'm here for.

6. We're friends. All of us. This isn't some damned RPGA event. This is a bunch of friends having fun together playing a game, bonding over dice and making great memories and stories. If this is ever NOT the case then the game is being played wrong.

7. FUN
This is the official OOC thread for my Silent Horizon 4E campaign of 4-6 players, starring:

Player Characters
Non-Player Characters
Antagonists
Silent God
Silent Ones/Cult of Silence
Flesh Circus (Fleshweavers) in service to the Silent Ones

Allies
Pelor, Melora, etc.
Lady Aken-Shi and the House of the Distance Shore of the Floating Empire
Kobolds: Crescendo, Treble, and Beat
Mysterious Dopplegirl
The Whale King and his Pod

Others Met
Librarian, Librarian's Clerk, Librarian's Apprentice
Ginger, voiceless commoner
Tavern-Keeper

Locations
Bellhaven
Bellhaven is a small town with a long history. Built on either side of a swift river which flows into a wide, island-sheltered lagoon, the self-governed town rests on top and around the foundations of an ancient fortress which is said to have disappeared even before the imperial era, now past, had begun. In the more recent past, the town was a center for trade and cultural exchange, where the peoples of the frigid lands north of Merrywinter, and the spice traders of the distant western islands would gather in the Winter months to enjoy the local climate, which is far more hospitable than their own lands during that season, though the natives are deeply bronzed from the weather of the rest of the year. With the decline of the imperial era, however, the distant peoples have become a rare sight in Bellhaven, as sea travel has become more perilous, and luxuries such as travel more sparse. Still, Bellhaven’s industrious people have made the best of their resources, making their livings from the bounty of the waters, and the white clay, sand, and gypsum deposits that were once simply treated as scenery. Yearly catches of squid also provide a brisk, if brief, ink trade. The people of Bellhaven are known to have a taboo against hunting whales, and whale products are banned from the city. Owing to its more prosperous past, Bellhaven has an outdoor gymnasium, a bath house, and even a small but well-regarded library. Farms supply Bellhaven with a variety of fruits and vegetables, but the soil is not especially productive and is hard to work, and so crop yields are merely a supplement, though there is great variety as farmers are still experimenting to find an ideal crop for the area. Seaweed harvesting, seabird hunting, and trading for grain provide the remainder of the diet, while dairy and red meat are a luxury and status symbol. The inhabitants of Bellhaven are mostly human, and mostly of the bronze-skinned peoples of Merrywinter, but there are traces of foreign bloodlines in some individuals, and a few members of the non-human races can be found.

The Tomb of the Bell

The Welcoming Dawn

--

IC Thread for numberless RP and things not requiring DMs: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=61123

Incenjucar on

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zen Vulgarity:

Magnus Haradin, Level 1 Dragonborn Inspirational Warlord
    Initiative 0 Senses Perception -1, (passive 9)
    Insight -1 (passive 9)
    HP 24 Bloodied 12
    Defenses AC 18 Fortitude 15 Reflex 15 Will 13
    Speed 5
    Action Points 1, Surge Value 7, Surges 8
    Melee Longsword + 7 (1d8 + 4)
    Ranged Throwing Hammer + 6, (1d6)
    At-Will Powers Furious Smash (+7 vs. Fort to Hit, 4 damage (str mod),), Viper's Strike(+7 vs. AC, 1d8+4)
    Encounter Powers Hammer and Anvil(+7 vs Ref, 1W + 4), Dragon's Breath (+6 vs Ref)
    Daily Powers Bastion of Defense(+7 vs AC, 3W + 4)
    Racial Features Dragonborn Fury, Draconic Heritage, Dragon Breath
    Class Features Combat Leader, Commanding Presence, Inspiring Word
    Feats Heavy Shield Proficiency
    Alignment Lawful Good Languages Common, Draconic
    Deity Bahamut
    Abilities Str 18 (+4), Dex 10 (0), Con 12 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 18 (+4)
    Skills Diplomacy(9)/Intimidate(11)/Endurance(6)/History(8)
    Equipment Chainmail, Heavy Shield, Longsword(+7, 1d8), Throwing Hammer(+6, 1d6), Adventurer's Kit (40 + 15 + 10 + 5 + 15), 15 gp

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, when did this recruit?

Goose! on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to fuck shit UP

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking a wizard.

Possibly homosexual.

Greeper on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Very simply, the people who have been after this game on [chat] get first dibs, but if they can't commit to the game then whoever can is in. Feel free to slip into Venture Bros.-style humor. I'm going to run the game with a fairly serious tone, but if your fighter is modeled after Brock Sampson I will not stop you. Just keep the party infighting down.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Inquisitor:

Two-handing Fighter, no name yet...but soon!
    Race: Elf
    Allignment: tba
    Deity: tba
    Str: 16
    Con: 14
    Dex: 16
    Int: 11
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 8

Athletics/Endurance/Intimidate

Feat: Quick Draw

At Will: Cleave, Reaping Strike

Encounter: Passing Attack, Elven Accuracy

Daily: Comeback Strike

EQUIP:
    Scale Armor, Falchion, Adventurer's Kit, 3 javelins (45+25+15+15 =100g spent)

Ah, so you decided to go dragonborn eh zen? Not a bad call. Also, due to my classes just ending I'm at the point where I can specify new availability for work, so, if you guys figure out what time works for you I can set up consistent time off for myself.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fuck, I don't have books. I can't make anything if I don't have books!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Then buy them!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Then buy them!
    I don't have money right now!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Then buy them!
    I don't have money right now!

How do so many people not have twenty bucks. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rofl, 20 bucks? Where are you buying these books?

I spent 105 dollars on all 3 of these goddamn books

At a bookstore.

Oh, and by the way, what chat is this you speak of? I've been in all the 4e threads for awhile, including the pre-recruit thread.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    He probably means the Debate and Discourse chat.

The only thread I frequent ever.

Dudes: I wanted to make a tiefling but now I'm thinking they look laaame.

so how about one of the high elves?

Greeper on
  • Options
    ZetaStrikerZetaStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll put up a character, just in case there's an opening... although I will note that Zen shouldn't be able to take Shield Specialization until 11th level. It's a Paragon Tier feat.

Dusk Templaire
    Class: Wizard(with intent to multiclass to Fighter)
    Race: Human
    Alignment: Unaligned
    Deity: Kord
    Hp 23 Bloodied 11 Surge Value 5, Surges 7
    AC 18, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 14
    Class Features: Staff of Defense, Ritual Casting, Cantrips, Spellbook
    Feats: Armor Proficiency(Leather and Hide), Ritual Casting
    At-Will: Thunderwave, Scorching Burst, Ray of Frost
    Encounter: Burning Hands
    Daily: Flaming Sphere or Acid Arrow
    Equipment: Hide Armor, Quarterstaff, Dagger x5, Rope(Hempen) 50 ft., Flint and Steel, Sunrod x4, 50 gp
    Rituals: Make Whole, Magic Mouth, Tenser's Floating Disc
    Str 14, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 12

"A loyal follower of Kord who sought a different path to strength, he has since found the magical arts are not to his desires. Where he once believed that commanding the arcane would be empowering, he now finds it infinitely less so; he has been reduced to artillery, a frail creature who must hide behind true warriors in order to achieve his full potential. Feeling that he has failed both his deity and his people, he has begun to pursue a new path, seeking to wield the martial disciplines in the same way he currently wields the magicks of the world. Only then, will he feel he has given his life true worth.

Dusk looks down on other arcane casters for their physical weakness, seeing them as an affront to his God for being contented with their roles. He especially despises Warlocks for failing to even attain that power on their own, relying on creatures bigger and stronger than them to fuel their powers. Talented warriors and commanders, however, are as to idols to him, and Clerics represent a respected position outside of his usual view of battle. He is cautious of tricksters and those whose cowardice drives them to indirect combat, but unlike mages, respects the skills they have come to master nonetheless.

Normally boisterous and good spirited, Dusk becomes gruff and withdrawn in the heat of battle, often following worthy warriors to the front so he can assist them with waves of crackling fire and roaring thunder. The stinging blows of his massive oak staff are quick to fall when the enemy shows its back, and when faced with unworthy foes, he has been known to assail them with stinging frost or hurled daggers. On occasion, he can even be seen conjuring a flaming orb into the fray, directing it around the battlefield even as waves of sonic force crush enemies into it's burning aura."

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe Church.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shield Proficiency is what I meant. And, if you were paying attention, I didn't even have training in Heavy Shields to use Specialization. SOOOOO

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    He probably means the Debate and Discourse chat.

The only thread I frequent ever.

Dudes: I wanted to make a tiefling but now I'm thinking they look laaame.

so how about one of the high elves?

I'm sure Incen would let you make your tiefling look like one of the third edition ones.

Goose: You only need the player's handbook to play, you don't need all three. Though, they are nice to own.

Also, my elf now has a name: Finwë Anárion. You can just call me Fin, though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Quizzy me and you need to work on a background story.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm sure Incen would let you make your tiefling look like one of the third edition ones.

You can make whatever the heck kind of tieflings or dragonborn you want so long as the mechanics remain intact.

Generally assume that I am flexible about fluff, as I do not store my DMG deep, deep, too deep up my ass. If you want to have three dragonboobs and are a halfling hell I don't care you'll just get funny looks and people will call you Mutie and then honk you.

--

Will Fin be someone's Huckleberry?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    To be fair, for my name I just dropped Jim Darkmagic into an elven name generator and ran with it.

Also, my character is basically Zen's vassal, so, you could say he is my duke and dauphin.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hawt. I mean awesome. So you're the dragon's knight? :o

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Hawt. I mean awesome. So you're the dragon's knight? :o

*nods* Knight/bodyguard. Zen and I are about to hammer out the details over aim.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh fuck. Quizzy. I'm lazy. Find me a character sheet that does this shit automatically for me.

And Goose should be in our party because Goose is the fucking man on TF2.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Rofl, 20 bucks? Where are you buying these books?

I spent 105 dollars on all 3 of these goddamn books

At a bookstore.

Oh, and by the way, what chat is this you speak of? I've been in all the 4e threads for awhile, including the pre-recruit thread.

I used B&N Online and a first timer's coupon and got them for 55 and change, though I could have gotten at least 30% off at Borders in person with their weekly coupons for members.

[Chat] is in the Debate and Discourse thread. It's my standard hangout on the PA forums.

----

Quickie Campaign Info

The party is heading up along the coast towards a moderate-sized "Point of Light" port town, following rumors about strange events. Singers, musicians, instruments, church bells, loud people, noisy pets, and things that make a lot of racket, have been having bad things happen to them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh fuck. Quizzy. I'm lazy. Find me a character sheet that does this shit automatically for me.

And Goose should be in our party because Goose is the fucking man on TF2.

Man, I filled out my sheet by hand, on paper.

Man up. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fuck that.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hate filling these things out.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man Hacks just PM me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So am I invited? If so, expect a Dragonborn Warlord--ah shit, Zen took that already.

In that case, I can make a Striker, probably a Rogue, for you guys to balance things out

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think alot of people are still waiting for their books to show up/getting the books/reading them.

So like, I don't know, give it a couple days and we'll see who is in or out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Okay I JUST ordered the books. I'm in like Fin(we).

I want to be a wizard but I'll see depending on what I read in the BOOKZ.

However I am almost certain to play the low-wisdom high-int guy who gets the rest of the part into trouble but bails them out in the end.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    Okay I JUST ordered the books. I'm in like Fin(we).

I want to be a wizard but I'll see depending on what I read in the BOOKZ.

However I am almost certain to play the low-wisdom high-int guy who gets the rest of the part into trouble but bails them out in the end.

That seems very...unwise

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Teehee.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So like, I don't know, give it a couple days and we'll see who is in or out.

This.

There is a rather large tendency for people on the internets to say that they totally want to do something but they never actually stick around to do it because internets are usually last everyone's last priority.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can do it.

I have no idea what I'm doing tho

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can I be a paladin?

Is that a thing I can be

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We've got a warlord and a fighter right now that are fairly solidly in place, and Greeper dibbed the wizard. We can handle up to six players here but I think Hacks was aiming for paladin last I heard.

Basically you guys need to decide who wants to be what the most. I would highly recommend we get the defender-striker-controller-leader dynamic going before we double up with the last two character slots.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hacks called paladin. He already is writing up a story.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, if I have this right:

Zen: Warlord
    Inq: Fighter
    Hacks: Paladin
    Greeper: Wizard
    Senj: ???
    Goose!: Profit I mean Rogue

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Damnit Goose get on.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also once you guys have figured out what the hell you are you should go for a team name and motto like the cool kids do.

Incenjucar on