As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Silent Horizon

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Mas isn't evil. He's not a bleeding heart, but he's not evil. He's still working toward a noble cause, isn't he? He's trying to help a town not hinder it. But he's going to help himself when he can, yes. And he also doesn't care much about laws. If it still existed, I'd call Mas Chaotic Neutral.

Chaotic Neutral don't exist no-more.

Come on, this doesn't sound like Mas?

"Evil characters don't necessarily go out of their way to hurt people, but they're perfectly willing to take advantage of the weakness of others to acquire what they want"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That doesn't sound evil, really. At the very least, not a universal definition.

Goose! on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maser is Chaotic Evil, he just happens to be surrounded by people who can collectively kick his ass, so he stays more or less in line like a good orc/ferengi.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    >:o Don't tell me what my character is. Thinking and doing are different things.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Actually, as the DM he could actually change the alignment on your sheet if he wanted to. Of course, no real point in this edition as no special powers are tied to alignment really.

Goose, your character stole from a trusting old man last session. You're evil. There is really no argument here. Your not murderous rampaging evil, but, you're evil.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're right, there really is no argument here.

He stole to feed the group because they hadn't had food in a long time. It was necessity. So not an evil thing to do. He's not hording it for himself.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    You're right, there really is no argument here.

He stole to feed the group because they hadn't had food in a long time. It was necessity. So not an evil thing to do. He's not hording it for himself.

. . .

Goose, level with me. Are you purposefully being obtuse here or what?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You guys just want to make Mas out to be worse than he really is. He's been, to me anyway, the very essence of what a brutal scoundrel rogue should be. Does what he needs to help himself and his allies and get the job done. Nothing about that seems evil. He hasn't killed anything innocent. The only threats he made were in retaliation of something that first threatened him/the party at large in his view. And he saw the girl as a threat. How does he know where she heard of the assassins' plot? You know the phrase don't kill the messenger? Mas doesn't always believe that's a smart idea. Paranoia isn't evil. Its just not always smart.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Please explain to me how stealing food and supplies from the kind old inn keeper who was nothing but helpful to us was not evil.

Note, that you made no other attempt earlier to procure these supplies. You did not attempt to pay for them, or see if anyone else in the party would pay for them. You did not attempt to barter, or ask for them, or do something in exchange for them. You flat out took them without even thinking of a different course of action. Also not that goggle girl NEVER threatened us. She said, "Hey, I heard some people want to kill you." That's not a threat.

Like I said your not pure, or chaotic evil or something. But I'd say your character has a definitely evil streak. If in your mind all brutal rogues are evil well, that's more your issue than mine.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goose. Maser is Chaotic Evil. He's a "lesser evil," but he's far and away the most vicious character in the group. He's like the party's very own Gollum.

Seriously, this was my second post in this thread, and I'm dead serious about it:
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Just keep the party infighting down.

Maser's current behavior is way out of line of what the other characters can accept. Maser has had DIVINE INTERVENTION to give him an excuse to reconsider his actions and the way he treats other living things. DIVINE FUCKING INTERVENTION.

Use it.

We are spending way too much time with party conflict in what should be a fairly relaxed, casual game. This is a cooperative game. Cooperate.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Finwe: So the family that steals food so that they won't starve to death is evil? It may not have been to that extreme, but Mas had no food at all, and the gold has been sparse. So, he stole.

Juke, He's Chaotic Neutral. What has he done that is evil? He's threatened and attacked and fought many more evil forces than he has done to good ones. The divine intervention you speak of was for mercy, and he followed it, but those are still enemies we're holding and he has every right to not want to consort with them. And again, he felt threatened so his instinct was to defend.

If its causing too much trouble, I'd rather drop out of the game than be told how to play my character or what my character is or should be. I don't want to cause any further issues.

Goose! on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you really not have a single gold piece? Because one gold piece would buy food for seven of us, last I checked.

One gold piece.

One.

Or a couple silver pieces, honestly.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    He doesn't have gold to spare, no.

There's bribes, debts, and addictions to consider in this, however.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The condition of being too broke to eat is pretty goddamn serious and if Maserati is visibly emaciated or otherwise malnourished, Elisaan (at the least) will logically be attending to your hunger, regardless of whether you confide in her or not the fact you are broke

just basic companionship right thur

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well like I said. It wasn't that extreme. The fact is we haven't addressed eating in the campaign, and he has gold, but he also has things he spends that gold on (i.e.--the debting and the bribing and the addiction...ing) So, he steals food because he feels he doesn't have gold to spend on that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How do I put this...

I don't care if Maser is secretly Orcus.

He needs to behave in a way that isn't horribly disruptive to play.

Right now there is no real narrative justification for Maser to not have had Tor and Finwe pin him down while Magnus kicks him in the junk with his pointy dragon feet.

Stop forcing everyone to roleplay badly. Give Maser an attitude adjustment so everyone can enjoy the game together.

--

Anyways, which version of MapTools did you guys want me to use next session?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Whatever version of maptools is fine by me. Just provide a link to the new one for me if we decide to go for that.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well some of you guys were talking about some new build that had SNAAAAKE! sneak boxes and jazz and seemed to want to use that.

I really don't care, but I try to move in the direction of "make people happy" more than "be lazy" if I can get around to it. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Game tomorrow night

anything we needed to do out-of-session? I forget

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you find a need to you can ask questions of the Dopplegirl since you're all hanging out in that little shack with her.

Might be useful to look up the rules and methods for mounts, too.

--

Also I just picked up the Adventurer's Vault today. This is some juicy stuff. Vehicles and alchemy oh my. <3

--

Also, for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to advise you guys to actually just keep your gold in a pool. This is especially important because it's basically a replacement for a magic item. 4E essentially is designed for every character to get one magic item, except one character who has gold instead of an item, so that there's one choice of items per character per level, give or take. Also things like potions and such. It's one of those cooperative play elements. However, this is entirely up to you guys. It's just easier to keep the gold in one pool and maybe just record how much any one character has spent.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mmmnkay. Game will be up at the usual hour with the usual PMs sent out, and I expect to be around for the usual hour early log in. If you have any questions for me, post them here, and if you have any questions for the Dopplegirl that do not require the rolling of dice or anything else involving numbers or rules, post'em here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=61123&highlight=silent+horizon

I've also updated the OP a bit, and will continue to do so on occassion.

See you at the game.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What version did you pick, Juke?

I've tried 1.2 and the Development webstarts and can't connect on either.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    When I move to a new program I will announce it.

Otherwise I will be using the same program I always have.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I cannot connect.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Really good game tonight, guys. You kicked hella asses.

And saved your own.

Man if that coach had gotten to that camp.... D:

<3

--

Finwe: The main reason that pushing those people out was a Strength check rather than an Athletics check was you were doing a whole series of actions in several directions and it just lacked the sheer amount of directed force that screams "athletics" to me.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think all of the drilling into my head from the 4E thread about '4E is pulp! 4E is pulp! everyone is an action hero!' has gotten through to me :rotate:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oboro and Hippie: Give me one word, and exactly one word, each.

Previous words include:

Expensive
    Samurai
    Apocolypses

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Apotheosis

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Placate.

What's this exercise for?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What's this exercise for?

Stimulus.

The specifics you may or may not ever realize.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, rules. Posted on Page 1 so you can find them later:

1. This is a game. It's about fun. Yours and that of others.

2. This is not a hard core serious game. Sometimes you will witness the majesty of a dragon as it soars through the sky, letting you know that there is still beauty in the universe, sometimes that same dragon will poop on your magical chariot that you just washed and waxed. My inspirations are as much Adult Swim as Shakespeare. See Rule #1

3. Your hero needs to be able to get along with the rest of the party. They don't have to like them or agree with them, but they need to behave and react in such a way as to allow the adventure to continue. Do not let your character become so extreme in their behavior or beliefs that the team can no longer function, because then you are in violation of Rule #1.

4. Show up and stay. If you can't, warn us as soon as humanly possible. Five other people have devoted their time to the idea of you showing up, and depend on your presence, and could be doing a lot of other things on their Sunday nights. Respect that. Just leaving the group hanging is worse than skipping out on a date; you are skipping out on FIVE dates at all once. If that isn't enough, I am the cook in this dating scenario, and have slaved over a hot oven for you for at least six hours during the week, and I really do not appreciate having to Doggy Bag it.

5. The game and reality are to have nothing to do with each other. Two characters arguing should NEVER become two players arguing. If you have a problem with another player you take it up with ME, and you do it AFTER the game unless it is absolutely disruptive. This is what I'm here for.

6. We're friends. All of us. This isn't some damned RPGA event. This is a bunch of friends having fun together playing a game, bonding over dice and making great memories and stories. If this is ever NOT the case then the game is being played wrong.

7. FUN

And I am deadly serious about Rule #7.

Hippie: Give me a link to your character sheet. I need to post it on the front page in case you're ever gone again so we can "Zombie" you. Also: Next time you're gone or MIGHT be gone -tell me dammit-.

Oboro: Talk to me when you're feeling up to it. I need to know what's going on.

--

Hunter encounter came with: 2 Barrels of Loaves, 1 Barrel of Fish (Sammiches!), 1 Luckblade Falchion +1, 150gp, 150x each.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I told you everything that was going the fuck on, what more do you want me to fucking say?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dude, fish sandwich? AWESOME.

Edit: Whoah, let's try and be civil here. Come on, eh? <3

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I told you everything that was going the fuck on, what more do you want me to fucking say?

I need to know if this will happen again. I would like the answer to be no.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Schedule note:

I will not be able to run a game this sunday, October 12, or on November 16. If everyone in the group is up for sessions earlier in the week, we can run'em, otherwise, go like get laid or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, we are on for today, right?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, we are on for today, right?

I'm almost done fleshing out the entire next six encounters, so we'd better be. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    lf 1 stk/def pst

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Good game tonight guys.

As a recap, the party has gained the following:

Brooch of Shielding +1
    Potion of Healing
    70gp

1150XP/5 PCs=230xp each, because the townies are no longer trying to kill you.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I is sorry for the miss guys.

HD fried on my birthday which was the same day as the game.

Attempts to play on home computer thwarted by eating out, etc.

may be late to this weekend too. I'm a terrible person sorry.

Greeper on