Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

A Transformers Movie Thread

1686971737476

Posts

  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So what you guys are saying is... because the original cartoon was crappy, the movie shouldn't have tried to be any better?

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally, I find there weren't enough giant robot fights. TFTM had about twice as many epic robot fights and it's shorter. Instead, it filled a lot of time with people going apeshit over giant robots. These scenes aren't as spectacular given the fact the movie is about giant robots.

    Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    Personally, I find there weren't enough giant robot fights. TFTM had about twice as many epic robot fights and it's shorter. Instead, it filled a lot of time with people going apeshit over giant robots. These scenes aren't as spectacular given the fact the movie is about giant robots.

    Agreed. The action scenes were great, I'm willing to forgive every little screwup involving them and the transformers themselves, but good god I do NOT want to see a bunch of humans taking up all the time in a Transformers movie. You know what I want to see? I want to see Transformers, beating the ever-loving fuck out of eachother for 2-3 hours with some drama mixed in.

    yalborap on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So what you guys are saying is... because the original cartoon was crappy, the movie shouldn't have tried to be any better?

    No, we're saying that the source material was goofy stupid fun, so the movie is going to be goofy stupid fun, and expecting anything different is silly.

    Evil Multifarious on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So what you guys are saying is... because the original cartoon was crappy, the movie shouldn't have tried to be any better?

    No, we're saying that the source material was goofy stupid fun, so the movie is going to be goofy stupid fun, and expecting anything different is silly.

    Isn't it possible to do goofy stupid fun well? Or must it cinematically suffer?

    _J_ on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    So what you guys are saying is... because the original cartoon was crappy, the movie shouldn't have tried to be any better?

    No, we're saying that the source material was goofy stupid fun, so the movie is going to be goofy stupid fun, and expecting anything different is silly.

    Isn't it possible to do goofy stupid fun well? Or must it cinematically suffer?

    Most people think it was done well, you just happen to disagree

    Shocking

    Evil Multifarious on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Most people think it was done well, you just happen to disagree

    Shocking

    The end of the movie...
    Where the Transformer jumps over the missile and everything shows down? They didn't do that for effect. They did that because if they had shot it the way they shot everything else no one would have known what was going on. The entire thing was filmed far too closely to the action and the camera shook far too much. If they had shot it from the perspective of an uninvolved third party 30 or so feet from the action? That would have been awesome. But the camera was always in the thick of it, and as a result one could only see moving cogs rather than fighting robots.

    _J_ on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    . Why the hell is it that every robot made by the allspark came equipped with machine guns and missiles? Isn't that saying that they are literally based entirely off of war and killing, and the allspark is some evil device capable of turning anything into a violent killing machine?

    They mention earlier how all human technology is reverse-engineered from Megatron, so it stands to reason that all that technology carries with it his traits, such as being really mean and blowing shit up. At least, by movie logic it does.
    I saw it more as that they were just feral, because there was no guidance as their Spark was created.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • telcustelcus Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    I don't mind shaky camera; what bugs me is when there's nothing but shaky camera, I mean is it that hard to throw in a few wide action shots? Oh well the movie was still awesome.

    That was my biggest gripe with the movie, the action sequences had too much shaky cam and quick changes. Also it sounded like one of the subs in our cinema had blown (Optimus popped instead of boomed when walking) but I can hardly fault Michael Bay for not turning up at the cinema with a screw driver and some overalls to fix that.

    Hopefully, If there are sequels, they'll have a better budget for some longer, more interesting CGI sequences.

    telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    Most people think it was done well, you just happen to disagree

    Shocking

    The end of the movie...
    Where the Transformer jumps over the missile and everything shows down? They didn't do that for effect. They did that because if they had shot it the way they shot everything else no one would have known what was going on. The entire thing was filmed far too closely to the action and the camera shook far too much. If they had shot it from the perspective of an uninvolved third party 30 or so feet from the action? That would have been awesome. But the camera was always in the thick of it, and as a result one could only see moving cogs rather than fighting robots.

    abloo bloo bloo

    Evil Multifarious on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Hopefully, If there are sequels, they'll have a better budget for some longer, more interesting CGI sequences.

    They've greenlit two already, and I figure maybe this is just sort of the primer (no pun intended) for the average schmuck who doesn't know the Allspark from Megatron's cannon.

    Maybe now that people will be more familiar with the concept, they can do more with it next time?

    So the theory goes, anyway.

    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, saw it, was a bit dissapointed by the ending, (Too much shaky camera, not enough of me actually seeing what the fuck was going on.) But everything before that was pretty awesome.

    I did however mostly enjoy the soundtrack. Does anyone know the name of the song that played as the autobots started to fall to earth? It was sort of an orchestral bit.

    Sceptre on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Hopefully, If there are sequels, they'll have a better budget for some longer, more interesting CGI sequences.

    They've greenlit two already, and I figure maybe this is just sort of the primer (no pun intended) for the average schmuck who doesn't know the Allspark from Megatron's cannon.

    Maybe now that people will be more familiar with the concept, they can do more with it next time?

    So the theory goes, anyway.

    That's basically what Bryan Singer did with X-men and X2 so it's pretty plausible.

    darunia106 on
    MYtio8V.jpg
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I did however mostly enjoy the soundtrack. Does anyone know the name of the song that played as the autobots started to fall to earth? It was sort of an orchestral bit.
    Really? All I thought about the music was "Oh, so they had to get generic acting, story, and music so that they could afford the awesome CGI? Too bad they handed the camera to a baby with turrets syndrome."

    srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User
    edited July 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I did however mostly enjoy the soundtrack. Does anyone know the name of the song that played as the autobots started to fall to earth? It was sort of an orchestral bit.
    Really? All I thought about the music was "Oh, so they had to get generic acting, story, and music so that they could afford the awesome CGI? Too bad they handed the camera to a baby with turrets syndrome."

    Do you even know what Tourettes Disorder is?

    Pjstelford on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Turrets syndrome.

    Is an inability to hold a camera straight, different to Tourettes Disorder.

    plz.

    I didn't like the score, went a bit cheesy in bits that should have been serious for my liking.

    But smashing pumpkins ++ Even if it was horribly edited.

    Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited July 2007
    It was way too long. And it seemed to lose most of its humor as you got farther and farther into the movie.

    Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • edited July 2007
    Am I the only person who had no trouble following this movie?

    BlueBaron on
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User
    edited July 2007
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    Am I the only person who had no trouble following this movie?

    No. It's not like it was the hardest thing to follow.

    ...and I also had no trouble what so ever following the action on the screen. Years of being a gamer has trained my eyes to follow damn near anything fast and frenetic on a screen with 100% cognition. *coughBulletHellcough*

    j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • SnorkSnork Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    Am I the only person who had no trouble following this movie?

    no

    Snork on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Proto wrote: »
    Having Bumblebee mute was a big mistake. Interaction between him and Sam would have helped a lot. It would have helped tie the autobots and humans togther.
    Man, no. I never watched the cartoon so I know my opinion already doesn't count, but I thought it was really cool how he talked using the Radio, and I wished they had done a little more of that, it could have been very clever and funny.

    I hated the voice actor they chose for him.

    Virum on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From my understanding, the voice actor for Bumblebee was probably told "Hey, you know, you've been with us since the start, why do you say a couple of things into the mic for us?"

    Ok, something about the end of the movie:
    Megatron, after being defeated says to Prime "You left me no choice....brother....." then dies.
    Is this addressed in any of the prequel material? (Book/comics)

    Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    @ end of the movie thing above:
    I thought Prime said that.

    OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think he meant that in the military sense. Brothers in arms, that sort of thing.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    From my understanding, the voice actor for Bumblebee was probably told "Hey, you know, you've been with us since the start, why do you say a couple of things into the mic for us?"

    Ok, something about the end of the movie:
    Megatron, after being defeated says to Prime "You left me no choice....brother....." then dies.
    Is this addressed in any of the prequel material? (Book/comics)
    The novelization mentions it.
    In the book it says Prime and Megatron are brothers who co-ruled Cybertron before Megatron went nutty.

    I guess they decided to leave it ambiguous in the film.

    Snake Gandhi on
    XBL: That Stone Dude
    Blizzard ID:StoneDudeman
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    From my understanding, the voice actor for Bumblebee was probably told "Hey, you know, you've been with us since the start, why do you say a couple of things into the mic for us?"

    Ok, something about the end of the movie:
    Megatron, after being defeated says to Prime "You left me no choice....brother....." then dies.
    Is this addressed in any of the prequel material? (Book/comics)

    Actually it was, as well as why Bumblebee is mute - there was a prequel comic given out on Free Comic Book Day.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2007
    I think he meant that in the military sense. Brothers in arms, that sort of thing.

    Yes. According to the book, it was a title used back on Cybertron.

    siliconenhanced on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Okay... Was "What Is Love" actually in the soundtrack? Because me and my brother both walked out humming it, and I have no idea why.

    Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A fitting comic for this discussion:

    LF0047.jpg

    WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

    Zenitram on
    steam_sig.png
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    Proto wrote: »
    Having Bumblebee mute was a big mistake. Interaction between him and Sam would have helped a lot. It would have helped tie the autobots and humans togther.
    Man, no. I never watched the cartoon so I know my opinion already doesn't count, but I thought it was really cool how he talked using the Radio, and I wished they had done a little more of that, it could have been very clever and funny.

    They really should have done more with the radio-talk.

    Also, I agree with everyone saying that the fighting was way too difficult to follow (visually. I understood the story just fine).

    Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously with the radio-talk. It'd be an excellent way to make the Bumblebee more endearing and show off his personality excellently via the music/speech excerpts he'd choose.

    Virum on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    From my understanding, the voice actor for Bumblebee was probably told "Hey, you know, you've been with us since the start, why do you say a couple of things into the mic for us?"

    Ok, something about the end of the movie:
    Megatron, after being defeated says to Prime "You left me no choice....brother....." then dies.
    Is this addressed in any of the prequel material? (Book/comics)
    Prime says that. Megatron is already dead by that point.

    Hacksaw on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    There was a recent panel with writer Roberto Orci who co-wrote the movie script:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=141436

    A few details:
    Brawl's last minute name change to Devastator is an intentional easter egg to set up for the sequel.
    Barricade's disappearance was intentional.
    The laser that Ratchet zaps Bumblebee with is a regenerative thingimajig.
    There will be a Director's cut of the DVD, which will include all of the scenes that were deleted from the final cut.
    In the uncut version each Transformer gets at least 5 lines of dialogue.


    and a theory from a fan that mister Orci doesn't deny, Barricade wasn't killed by Bumblebee during their bout, and he really wanted Sam's glasses, moreso than a normal Decepticon. Not to mention his mysterious disappearance after Prime's bout with Bonecrusher.

    It seems like he had his own agenda.

    It's as if he was on the Prowl for something.

    That's right, Barricade could be Autobot Double Agent Prowl on a black ops mission.

    Sorry if this has already been posted.


    EDIT: Turns out that some of the Transformers lines weren't even recorded, so while there will be new dialogue in the Director's Cut, it won't be as much as I said.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those are some straight-up awesome theories

    Furu on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    It's as if he was on the Prowl for something.

    That's right, Barricade could be Autobot Double Agent Prowl on a black ops mission.

    Man he is a pretty mean autobot punching Sam across parking lots and yelling at him.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    It's as if he was on the Prowl for something.

    That's right, Barricade could be Autobot Double Agent Prowl on a black ops mission.

    Man he is a pretty mean autobot punching Sam across parking lots and yelling at him.

    Maybe his check engine light was on and he was scared?

    Pjstelford on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    It's as if he was on the Prowl for something.

    That's right, Barricade could be Autobot Double Agent Prowl on a black ops mission.

    Man he is a pretty mean autobot punching Sam across parking lots and yelling at him.

    Well, he DID need to know if the boy was Username Ladiesman217.

    yalborap on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Something has been bothering me since I saw this movie but it may have been something I missed since I did get up for a piss at one point...

    Why, towards the end of the movie, was Army Guy helping Sam get Bumblebee back from the Sector 7 dudes? At that point, Army Guy has only seen Decepticons killing his buddies... why would he help one of these robots?

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Because its a movie about giant robots fucking up other giant robots. Not about some fags wearing army gear yelling at people.

    PLOT IS AN EXCUSE TO BLOW UP BUILDINGS AND GIANT ROBOTS

    Why are you people so intensely picking apart the plot gawd.

    TheCrumblyCracker on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Something has been bothering me since I saw this movie but it may have been something I missed since I did get up for a piss at one point...

    Why, towards the end of the movie, was Army Guy helping Sam get Bumblebee back from the Sector 7 dudes? At that point, Army Guy has only seen Decepticons killing his buddies... why would he help one of these robots?

    Well, my basic assumption was that they figured out the whole autobots/decepticons deal from the whole tinkering-with-Scorponok bit, which then led to the knowledge that Bumblebee was on the autobot side, and that, hey, here's an idea, maybe we shouldn't have one of the few things capable of saving our asses in the deep freeze right now.

    yalborap on
Sign In or Register to comment.