As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Keep on the Shadowfell: Electric Noobaloo

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ooh, thanks for pointing out that BBcode thing. That's cool.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm with Gwen in the back, behind Bjorn.

My initiative roll: 1d20+6=22

Jebu on
  • Options
    flatline82flatline82 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Initiative: 1d20 = 19

Edit: I believe I'm walking in front of the group...ahead of Kirrim.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rainfall, how about this:
    ragnarokonlineart026.jpg

Law, how about either of these?
    fightericon2.jpgfightericon.jpg

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Initiative: Initiative (1d20 4=14)

Kirrim is walking a square behind and to the right of Seragon

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I must say, it was awesome to come home from work to find so much updating already. Well done, all.

IC thread updated! Still waiting for Initiative from Bjorn and Stigandr.

If anyone isn't happy with your mini, let me know and I'll try to fix it up to your liking.

Also, does anyone have any questions about combat?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What do people think about this avatar? Kirrim-pic.jpg

The picture was originally female, but the size-reduction along with some image manipulation and I think it can pass for male quite well.

In regards to combat, how much would our characters know about the monsters?. In particular would Kirrim know that a single arrow could bring down the kobolds?(Especially pertinent because of his 'Twin Strike' power)

Last Son on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Initiative! :
    Initiative roll (1d20-1=13)

That's oddly high for a slow lumbering dwarf. Should we start putting rolls in the IC thread?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LS,

That pic looks fine. Can you shoot me a 100x100 version of it? Each map might be a slightly different size, so I'm going to have to change the size of your mini pic each time.

Your characters will most likely know that these kobolds will be easy to kill.

Bok, we'll keep initiative rolls in this thread, so that we don't clutter up the IC thread. If Lawinator hasn't updated with his initiative by the time I leave for work (in about 4 hours), we'll assume that he's acting after everyone else.

Also, just as a reminder, if you're going to post anything OOC in the IC thread, put it in spoiler tags at the bottom of your post.

Finally, (this is the English major in me creeping out into the open), be careful with your commas when writing dialogue.
    If your dialogue comes before the description, the comma goes before the closing set of quotation marks, like so:

"I'm sorry, we don't serve your kind here," the bartender told Bjorn, his voice gruff and full of loathing.

If the descriptive part comes before the dialogue:

The bartender looked Bjorn up and down, his eyes full of loathing, and said, "I'm sorry, we don't serve your kind here."

If the dialogue is interrupted by description:

"I'm sorry," the bartender said, his voice gruff and full of loathing, "We don't serve your kind here."

Alternatively, if the first bit of dialogue could be considered a sentence on its own, you could do it like so:

"I'm sorry," the bartender said, his voice gruff and full of loathing. "We don't serve your kind here."

This lecture has been brought to you by the letter "D" as in "dark, dank dungeon."

Does anyone have any questions about how combat? Remember that you get a Minor action, a Move action, and a Standard action each round. You can always trade down (ie. do an extra Move action in place of a Standard action) but you can't trade up (do a Standard in place of a Move). If you burn an Action Point, you get to do an extra action that round (either Minor, Move, or Standard).

Also, as a note, your At-Will powers are generally better than your basic attacks, so it's usually smarter to use them rather than just use your basic attack. Also, when you make your attack/damage rolls, you'll know if you hit the enemy and how much damage you do to them. Feel free to describe this, something like :
    His face set in a grim mask, Stigandr rushed toward the cowering kobold, raising his greataxe high and slamming it down hard into the beast's skull. The kobold was split in two, from head to chest.

For stronger enemies, you might not kill them in one shot. In cases like that, describe how you do damage but don't quite kill it. Maybe your attack hits a limb, etc.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the writing tip pope ;)

I honestly don't know what got into me. Meaning: I'm not certain why I set all my dialogue apart. Just because you have read thick novels like Moby Dick doesn't mean you can write half as well I suppose.

Should we wait until the person before us in initiative order posts or can we just go ahead and decide what we want to do and change it on the fly if we need to?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    At this juncture, let's keep it to the initiative order. We may change this down the road. Jebu, for now, take your action. Unless god intervenes on Lawinator's side, I doubt he'll roll as high as you did.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Initiative = 19

I figure we round down for the half level, if not then I have 20. Also, that first avatar is cool with me.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Initiative = 19

I figure we round down for the half level, if not then I have 20. Also, that first avatar is cool with me.

In 4e you always round down.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll update new character pics once we get to Round 2. Also, for the sake of speeding things up, everyone who acts before the kobolds can take their turns now in whatever order they post. If you move, please indicate where you move to using the grid coordinates (ie. A, 3).

I'll update the map once we get to Round 2.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I horribly abuse commas, its a curse of mine.

40x40 pic: Kirrim-pic.jpg

100x100 pic: Kirrim-100x100copy.jpg

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll be updating tomorrow night with some background information about your campaign setting. If you guys have any questions about the world, ask and I'll be happy to answer them. I probably won't be able to do a big update tonight, but I'll try to have the minions get their actions in so that Gwen can take her turn.

New map will be up tomorrow.

LS, do you mind if I change your background color so that everyone's icons are a bit easier to tell apart?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LS, do you mind if I change your background color so that everyone's icons are a bit easier to tell apart?

Sure, I just choose grey cause it was easy to differentiate from the armor.

Also, are the rocks tall enough that they count as blocking terrain? And can I shoot through an ally's square?

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So... anyone want to check my work so far? I'm getting better at this but I'd like it if someone could look and see if I screwed up.

Stigandr

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

Sure, I just choose grey cause it was easy to differentiate from the armor.

Also, are the rocks tall enough that they count as blocking terrain? And can I shoot through an ally's square?

The rocks do indeed provide cover. From your current position, you can hit Kobold A with no penalty. You take a -2 to your attack if you roll against E (enemies provide cover for each other) and a -5 against B and C, since they have more cover than the others. You'd take a -2 against D, since he has limited cover from where he is.

You can shoot through allies' squares without penalty. You can also freely move THROUGH allies' squares, but you can't end in the same square as them, unless they're lying prone.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Remember, guys. You've got the Kobold's stats in the post I made that contains the map, so include the effects of your attacks when you make them (describe if they hit, how you kill the enemy if you do so).

Also, remember to put the OOC stuff in Spoiler tags, like so:
    Minor:
    Move:
    Standard:

You can also roll your attack and your damage at the same time by separating it with a semicolon. For example, if you're using a longsword and your attack bonus is +5, you could put this in the "Dice" field:

1d20+5;1d8+3

It'll roll them both at the same time, which is pretty convenient.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've gotta run to work for another 10hour shift so I put up my action early. Hopefully I did everything right.

Can't wait for this week to end.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just realized that I had been dropping my sig in the IC thread. Fixed that now.

Yaay for slowest initiative. =D

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sorry for the delay guys, I went to bed right after the initiative roll last night, and had to work early this morning.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No worries, Jebu. I just figured that doing things this way would make things a bit better for everyone.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So... how much time between encounters? I'm deciding whether I should just kill both of them or not.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    An Encounter ends when all the monsters are dead. If a monster joins in during conflict, that doesn't count as a new encounter.

You take a five-minute(roughtly) break at the end of each encounter to use Healing Surges and recharge Encounter powers, I think.

I could be wrong here but that's what I got from the PA podcasts.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So... anyone want to check my work so far? I'm getting better at this but I'd like it if someone could look and see if I screwed up.

Stigandr

Looks okay. On your quick lookup for you greataxe attack you should put down the attack bonus (+4 from strength) and also include the damage bonus from the Weapon Focus feat (+1 damage). You could also throw in the stats for some your at-will abilities in the other rows there since those are the ones you'll be using most.

Also, you start off with 1 action point.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jebu (and others),

Were all posting rather quickly, more so than probably expected I'd be willing to bet. Obviously we all have IRL things going on that takes priority. If one of us simply stops posting for a day..pffttt...no big deal. We simply slow down and wait for catch up, thats why were doing PbP to begin with. We simply work out what we can IC or slow down a tad, no big deal! =)

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I killed them. Now what?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now we wait for Pope to make post.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And then the dragons took flight, gaping maws full of fire pointing in the general direction of the party.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's cool, they'll be minion dragons. :P

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And then the dragons took flight, gaping maws full of fire pointing in the general direction of the party.

Don't steal my thunder, Law...

Ok, Round 1 is almost done, but I'm not in a position to be able to update it to my satisfaction. Expect something tomorrow morning. Rainfall, I apologize that you've not yet gotten the chance to do something badass. Soon, I promise.

Also, I'm strapped for time. flatline, I got your PM, I'll respond tomorrow.

Damned good job so far, all. This might be the n00b thread, but we're looking like the pros.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm loving the game so far =)

Awesome job mighty!

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We can kill ratmen.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We can kill ratmen.

Kobolds aren't rat-men, they're dragon-men. Or maybe mini-lizard men if I don't want to offend Seragon.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ohh, I just thought of something combat-related. How do we want to handle Immediate Interrupts and Immediate Reactions? Potentially several people could take their actions between a trigger happening and when we read the thread.

Stigandr

How did you get +6 to the attack roll for your great axe? I see +4 from str and +1 from Fighter Weapon talent but can't find the other +1.

Also for your stats, if I'm reading your sheet right you bought 18str 14con 11dex 10int 10wis 8cha then added +2 to con? If instead you bought 16str 16con 11dex 10int 10wis 8cha and added the +2 to STR you would end up with the same end result but have an additional 3 points left over.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    IC Thread updated, be sure to check out the "notes" section at the bottom of the post.

Gwen is up. After she goes, then:

29 - Erevo
    19 - Seragon
    19 - Stigandr
    14 - Kirrim
    13 - Bjorn

These 5 can act in whichever order they post in once Gwen has acted. After all 5 have posted, I'll take the kobold's actions, then Gwen goes again.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Ohh, I just thought of something combat-related. How do we want to handle Immediate Interrupts and Immediate Reactions? Potentially several people could take their actions between a trigger happening and when we read the thread.

Stigandr

How did you get +6 to the attack roll for your great axe? I see +4 from str and +1 from Fighter Weapon talent but can't find the other +1.

Also for your stats, if I'm reading your sheet right you bought 18str 14con 11dex 10int 10wis 8cha then added +2 to con? If instead you bought 16str 16con 11dex 10int 10wis 8cha and added the +2 to STR you would end up with the same end result but have an additional 3 points left over.

Well... I think that column for attacks means to hit right? So, since I have a proficiency with my weapon don't I get a bonus of +2? Also the fighter weapon talent gives +1 damage.

Also, for my stats, I didn't know I had the 2 bonus points, I'll mess around with it a bit.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to use my special DM god powers to delegate to you guys to figure out Law's attack bonuses. In my IRL games, the #1 rule is:
    Space Pope hates math.

Also, one more writing guideline:

Let's keep our writing in the present tense, ie. "He swings his sword" instead of "He swung the sword". I know I began using past tense, but I think present will fit better with what we're doing here.

Finally, a note about healing, since we're starting to take damage now. Outside of combat, you can use healing surges to recover HP. You get x number of surges per day. You can use as many as you want, so you can burn 4 in order to get 4x HP back at one time, if you so desire.

In combat, you can only use one surge per encounter. This is called your second wind. Once, you use your second wind, you can't use any other surges. The only exception is if you have a power, or another PC has a power, that can can cause you to activate another healing surge. Generally, only clerics and warlords have something like that, but I think paladin's may also have them.

mightyspacepope on