As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Justice Society: 1 new teammate for every issue or your money back

mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
What the heck is going on here?

I have all the trades of john's first run. JSA was my absolutely hands down favorite- BUT this run has been aweful.

Nothing has happened- story just drags and drags. The team is bloated to the point that there is very very little charactorization.

And the worst part is there have been plenty of hints at story possibilities- damage and liberty bell and hourman; firey PG as the chair person, the old teaching the young. but no KC super man and lots of brooding. An entire issue of gog fight. It was gog against something like 30 heroes....

Am I crazy or has this run been disappointing at the very least?

SIDE RANT- Pg is the most dumped on charactor ever.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
mojojoeo on

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yes you are crazy.

Bloods End on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can we disregard the OP and talk about how cool JSA has been?

I think it has been pretty awesome.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gog is hilarious.

"I

AM

GOG.

WHO

ARE

YOU"

And that creepy fucking smile.

Bloods End on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JSA is amazing.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    I seriously had no idea that Damage was related to the first Atom.

I also had no idea that the first Atom got super-powers ever.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »

It's, like, a pretty big part of his character.

And uh they mention it repeatedly in the first issue

How do you miss that

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't say it has been amazing. It's been an exceptionally long and filler-filled Thy Kingdom Come arc that had a few kick ass moments that ended up being meaningless.

The Alan Scott / Obsidian ending? Ya, that lasted about a page or two in the next issue and was just there for Kingdom Come references and had little to no story follow up, not even a powerup of any kind for Scott.

Kingdom Come Superman? He's been drinking tea, brooding and following the JSA around, but, for all his strength, hasn't done anything. Johns has decided it's more important to focus on Judomaster, Amazing Man, Thunder and the half a dozen other "new" characters to the team in an arc that was hyped up for its Kingdom Come and Alex Ross influences.

Let's not forget the Lightning Saga.

Has this volume been bad? No. But it hasn't been great either. Moments of brilliance, like pancake breakfasts or Starman being insane cameos, but still very fleeting moments, nonetheless.

The current arc's been what, 8 issues long now with a couple delays and the only things that have happened are a) new team members joined and b) Gog was revealed as the statue head and a "good guy". It could have been done in about 2 issues if you ask me and we could have cut out the random fight scenes where Gog doesn't punch the heads off the weaker heroes (he puts a beat down on KC Superman, who's stronger, by far, than our Superman, so should be ablet o just kill half the team with a flick of his wrist if you ask me).

For all its troubles, I still love the series, but it's seen better days, in my opinion, and feels like a lot of filler and all flash / no substance with the Kingdom Come stuff.

KVW on
    edited June 2008

It's, like, a pretty big part of his character.

And uh they mention it repeatedly in the first issue

How do you miss that

I guess I only read every other page or something dumb. I should go back and re-read from #1.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This might summon Bad Karma out of the nether

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Let's not forget the Lightning Saga.

But without the Lightning Saga we wouldn't have the Flash Kids!

ohwait

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I also had no idea that the first Atom got super-powers ever.

It seems that The Justice Society Returns is now canon; that's when the Atom got his powers. I really love JSAR, so this is awesome.

JoeUser on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The whole Gog run hasn't been too bad but I'm waiting for the Crime Society of Amerika to return to the regular DC universe so the JSA can have some worthy opponents. Maybe Final Crisis can do that.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really love JSA. It has not really featured the fastest-moving stories ever, but that doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Me either. Every issue has been hugely enjoyable. I'm also amazed at how well they juggle so many characters, and how they make you care about them all. Also, Gog is fantastic. Can't wait to see how that works out.

By the way, on the last issue
    Anyone else notice that when Gog fell to earth, he had the same symbol on his side that Lance has on his arm?
    It's made pretty clear, so I'm assuming it's one of the reasons we have new characters. Just wondering what it means.

Desktop Hippie on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm suspicious of Gog's rocky face. Looks to much like Darkseid for there to be a trusting.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im crazy....

or i dont care for the slower pace...

or I'm crazy.....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is not in any way shape or form anything even remotely resembling awful, but it's not as good as the better stuff from the first Johns run no

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's one of my favorite monthly titles. It just reads like a classic superhero comic. It can get a little fanwanky when all the Kingdom Come stuff gets shoved into it, but it's still very enjoyable. I'm digging all the new characters getting introduced.

So far my favorite's Citizen Steel. I'm eagerly anticipating the day ge gets to tear off his costume and pound the dogshit out of some random big bad.

Munch on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the comic, but I will admit that the large cast and slow moving story kind of turn me off.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I liked it best when Captain Marvel and Black Adam were on the team

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

But then everything's better with Captain Marvel and Black Adam.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Kingdom Come Superman? He's been drinking tea, brooding and following the JSA around, but, for all his strength, hasn't done anything.

You mean like when Hercules beat the living crap out of regular Superman and then he couldn't do shit to KC Superman?
    Johns has decided it's more important to focus on Judomaster, Amazing Man, Thunder and the half a dozen other "new" characters to the team in an arc that was hyped up for its Kingdom Come and Alex Ross influences.

And if Johns focused on the KC stuff you'd complain about how he introduced new characters and then did nothing with them (also, it's Lightning that's on the team, not Thunder). Of course he's going to focus on new characters: A) that's what the JSA is about, and B) it's so we get to know them.

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008

Well they just brought back Black Adam. Not on the team (yet?), but he'll be in the book.

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Im crazy....

or i dont care for the slower pace...

or I'm crazy.....

MOOSE cheese spoon lol

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    keith what are you doing in this thread

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    revealing that he was Bad Karma all along

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    I didnt want to be the one to say it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    he did stop posting when i moved to seattle

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    I didnt want to be the one to say it
    that's okay I felt entitled anyway

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2008
    Regarding too many members:
    Aren't we pretty certain that they're going to divide the team into two separate teams?

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    New JSA and Mighty JSA

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mighty Morphin' Justice Society and Justice Society Turbo.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    I Can't Believe It's the Justice Society and Justice Society Elite

JoeUser on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think quite a few of those characters are going to die anyway.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    I think quite a few of those characters are going to die anyway.

:(

JoeUser on
    edited June 2008
    the teasers in one of the recent issues showed that someone (a male) dies

but yeah, it looks like it'll be divided up into two teams. probably those who think Gog is awesome and those who think he's probably bad

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    You know, if JSA: Classified hadn't devolved into the Wildcat Busts Up An Illegal Fighting Organization Show, it would have been a great place to expand on, and flesh out a lot of characters introduced by Johns.

As is, if DC does decide to split the cast, I hope they revive one of their old patriotic titles, like All Star Squadron, Star-Spangled Comics, Smash Comics, Seven Soldiers of Victory, etc. A lot of those names are just so classic and fun, it's a shame they don't really get used.

Or I guess they could just relaunch a new Infinity Inc book more in line with the spirit of the old one. But I think they need to wait a year or two for the stink to wear off the name.

Munch on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd actually really like to see Gog hang around for awhile without becoming either a bad guy or an overwhelming religious figure. I think it'd be neat if the he simply was there, making a sort of Eden, not bothering anyone while patiently keeping people from interfering with his followers. I can't recall a situation like that in comics before where it didn't devolve into a nightmare.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'll be kind of disappointed if Johns uses the standard, "Ha! I was evil all along!" reveal. Hopefully that won't happen. I was happy to see Damage defying that particular trope a bit, when Gog started healing the villagers. He immediately said what everyone was thinking, basically asking, "Are you guys fucking retarded? How many times have we seen this false messiah bullshit!? He's obviously evil!"

I wouldn't mind seeing the story take kind of a King Kong turn, where Gog really is harmless, but people just refuse not to exploit him for their own gain, eventually killing him or driving him away. Hopefully it'll go somewhere I'm not expecting.

Munch on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    the teasers in one of the recent issues showed that someone (a male) dies

but yeah, it looks like it'll be divided up into two teams. probably those who think Gog is awesome and those who think he's probably bad

And Mr.Terrific who doesn't think he's even real all on his own.

The Muffin Man on