Options

Call of Duty 5: Medal of Honor 5

• Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think a good game set in the Pacific Theater could be interesting. Especially if they explored really underused places like China, The Philippines, or Indonesia. Of course I don't expect Treyarch to do any of the above.

Food on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But seriously, what else can Call of Duty do? WWII and Modern warfare are really the only times you can go full on with that FPS realism.

WWI. From the disaster at Seicheprey to the daring capture and desperate defense of Cantigny, to the blunting of the last German offensive to threaten Paris at Chateau Thierry, and into the hell of Belleau Wood.

No garand, but hey, bolt-action rifles are awesome. And there'd be "trench brooms," early light machineguns, .45 automatics, and even German SMGs. Plus, how awesome would a bayonet melee attack be? Could even work in a COD-style moment where the player is caught in a gas attack.
    Battlefield tried vietnam and the future, but i hear those didnt go so well.

Vietnam sucked because the choppers were flying tanks and the weapon balance sucked. And booby traps were lame because they disappeared too damn quickly. There's nothing keeping a good developer who gives a shit from making a compelling Vietnam-era shooter.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vietnam is only slightly less boring than World War 2.

Which is incredibly boring.

There have been much more interesting wars held for FPS games that have yet to be tapped.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess I'm the only one who still finds ww2 fun(on the condition that I'm not following the pattern of omaha beach, carentan, market garden, battle of the bulge... thats overplayed).

Honestly, I think ww2 has plenty left to be tapped into, developers just don't. WW2 didn't start in 1942, y'know. I would love to see a ww2 fps set first in france, then greece, africa, through italy, operation dragoon, etc. Or hell, maybe even something on the german or japanese side?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    But there are only so many Nazis you can kill.

Also, all realistic WW2 games are set in stone. We know how it goes - england beats germany in the final on penalties. It would be like making a survival horror game on the titanic. in the end, all the zombies will drown.

what i want to see is a developer just go nuts in a WW2 setting.

like, you storm omaha beach and just as you are raising the american flag the Predator decloaks and shoots your squad to pieces. Then its all 'LEVEL 2 GO' and you are all 'WHAT THE HOLY FUCK'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    But there are only so many Nazis you can kill.

Also, all realistic WW2 games are set in stone. We know how it goes - england beats germany in the final on penalties. It would be like making a survival horror game on the titanic. in the end, all the zombies will drown.

what i want to see is a developer just go nuts in a WW2 setting.

like, you storm omaha beach and just as you are raising the american flag the Predator decloaks and shoots your squad to pieces. Then its all 'LEVEL 2 GO' and you are all 'WHAT THE HOLY FUCK'

Kinda like Resistance and Operation Darkness?

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I dunno. resistance was from day one sci fi.

Im talking market a game as a ww2 shooter, then pull a complete mindfuck on the player like 20 minutes in.

essentially, as though rtcw was supposed to be some kind of medal of honor.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scarab, that is a fantastic way to shock the player into a joygasm. Unfortunately, it's also a surefire way to sell about 10,000 copies and become an obscure cult classic that only we would know about.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I know.

The only possible way you could do it is with a million selling pre-existing brand. Like I dunno Call of duty or something.

supposing in this hypothetical that the game is great.

COD6 starts and its Iraqistan again. the marketing has all been about it being essentially modern warfare 2.

so its all great and then at that kind of end of first act point in the game suddenly as you storm that last insurgent stronghold, you get to the roof then alien ships from independence day start coming out of the sky.

like no foreboding, no explanation. just BAM - alien invasion. then the rest of the game is basically that.

it would be the greatest thing ever.

very very VERY few developers have the luxury of such a thing, and even fewer would take such a risk. but it would be so great. i think one day a game is going to do that for real.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It would be like making a survival horror game on the titanic. in the end, all the zombies will drown.

But so will you, unless you fight your way through the legions of groaning undead, from the depths of steerage to the lifeboats. Somebody make this game, now please.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    When you're abducted in the game, you're abducted for real?

You do raise a good point; CoD is about the only FPS series that could pull something like that off. It would have to be a cover up rivaling that of Half Life 2, though (before the E3 reveal, not the disastrous leak later on).

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    While on the subject of mindfucks, how about this one.

You know at the start of Doom 3, when you have that UI showing the ship approaching mars. its like a map thing. then it pulls back from this and reveals this is in game, in engine inside the room being rendered on a surface. that thing.

what if, say for the half life 3 trailer or something, it does that. first half of the trailer is like generic gameplay, or just a teaser. looks like hl2 only with another coat of paint. like episode 2 next gen or something.

then, right at the end. it pulls back and it was all on a tv, in an even more realistic and visually staggering interior and like alyx is sitting there watching it. then BAM Half Life 3, Fall 2010 or something.

game trailers are so lackluster these days. boils down to montages and vistas. thats all they fucking are.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While on the subject of mindfucks, how about this one.

You know at the start of Doom 3, when you have that UI showing the ship approaching mars. its like a map thing. then it pulls back from this and reveals this is in game, in engine inside the room being rendered on a surface. that thing.

what if, say for the half life 3 trailer or something, it does that. first half of the trailer is like generic gameplay, or just a teaser. looks like hl2 only with another coat of paint. like episode 2 next gen or something.

then, right at the end. it pulls back and it was all on a tv, in an even more realistic and visually staggering interior and like alyx is sitting there watching it. then BAM Half Life 3, Fall 2010 or something.

game trailers are so lackluster these days. boils down to montages and vistas. thats all they fucking are.

I've always thought that would be a fantastic way to do the TF2 reveal trailer. Start off with basically the old E3 footage + some sparkle on the screen and have all the valve employees looking real proud about how awesome they think it is. Fade to black, have Gabe Newell start to walk up to the stage then *BAM!* - fade back in, camera pulls back.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know.

The only possible way you could do it is with a million selling pre-existing brand. Like I dunno Call of duty or something.

COD6 starts and its Iraqistan again. the marketing has all been about it being essentially modern warfare 2.

so its all great and then at that kind of end of first act point in the game suddenly as you storm that last insurgent stronghold, you get to the roof then alien ships from independence day start coming out of the sky.

like no foreboding, no explanation. just BAM - alien invasion. then the rest of the game is basically that.

very very VERY few developers have the luxury of such a thing, and even fewer would take such a risk. but it would be so great. i think one day a game is going to do that for real.

Well, its sort of been done before, in MGS2. Not exactly the same thing i guess, buts its the same general idea.

I'm disappointed its back to WW2, but I'm really glad to see theres now coop. One step back, one step forward.

Also, vehicles being brought back to multiplayer is only a bad thing.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    ProcessOfBeliefProcessOfBelief Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    I know.

Well, its sort of been done before, in MGS2. Not exactly the same thing i guess, buts its the same general idea.

I'm disappointed its back to WW2, but I'm really glad to see theres now coop. One step back, one step forward.

Also, vehicles being brought back to multiplayer is only a bad thing.

I dont think the medium should just dump WWII completely. There is still meat hidden away in the deep crevasses of those bones.

I think we should give it time though. The market has been saturated with them and while some have been good (Call of Duty, Company of Heroes), its just a scenario that has become all too familiar.

I just wish Treyarch (their name may live in infamy) was not at the helm of this one.

ProcessOfBelief on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    It would be like making a survival horror game on the titanic. in the end, all the zombies will drown.

But so will you, unless you fight your way through the legions of groaning undead, from the depths of steerage to the lifeboats. Somebody make this game, now please.

Dead Rising 2: Zombies on a Cruise Ship?

What would be cool, is if Hitler was abducted by aliens, and as Colonel Stooger, it's your job to get him back and kick some alien ass!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That reminds me. A bit off topic here, but why the fuck hasn't Dead Rising 2 been announced? The game sold a bazillion copies if memory serves.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    That reminds me. A bit off topic here, but why the fuck hasn't Dead Rising 2 been announced? The game sold a bazillion copies if memory serves.

Something about Hollywood wanting game money or some shit.

Colonel Stooger could also have bitchin one liners like

"Is puttin das boot in jor alien ass!"

and

"Joos an ugly critter!"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Really though, even though the Pacific is unexplored, italy or Africa would have made much better material for a CoD campaign

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As wary as I am of Treyarch's CoD, I'd be really stoked if they included an Aussie campaign. They could use Z special unit or the Kokoda track easy.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    As wary as I am of Treyarch's CoD, I'd be really stoked if they included an Aussie campaign. They could use Z special unit or the Kokoda track easy.
    That does have potential. Between the Kokoda track, Fall of Singapore, the death march from Sandakan to Ranau, Changi and the battles across the islands there's loads of great stuff there to make a really new and exciting take on a WW2 game.

I just don't think they'll do that though.

I approach CoD pretty much the same way I approach Splinter Cell now, the ones by the other teams just don't count.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A fantasy/sci-fi take on WWII would be neat.

Alls I'm sayin'.

I'd love to see Infinity Ward make something that didn't start with "Call" and end with "Duty", personally.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Alls I'm sayin'.

I'd love to see Infinity Ward make something that didn't start with "Call" and end with "Duty", personally.

Starcall of dutycraft.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Maybe they'll go all Harry Turtledove on us.
    In_the_balance.jpg

Dammit.

Thanks for making me sad that there'll never be a Turtledove Colonization or World War game. :(

Suriko on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Alls I'm sayin'.

Resistance? I know it's not infinity ward, but just saying there has been at least one take on it.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I don't know.

I mean. Yeah, I always like to see developers branching out.

But was CoD4 any less awesome because it's CoD4? I didn't think it was in any way limited by its name or series.

You know what I really want to see in a WW2FPS?

D-Day, huge hype showing sitting on the boats, getting to the beach, the opening seconds of the beach...

And then you get unavoidably shot and lie dead at D-Day, then move on to more interesting places.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm... That's kinda cool. Possibly move through different conflicts?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Treyarch is such an awful, awful thing.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    According to the article, Treyarch aims to "explore the darkest corners of WWII," giving the military shooter more of a survival horror flavor by "tackling darker themes" and pitting players against a "new, seemingly alien fighting force."

The Geth? D:

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who still finds ww2 fun(on the condition that I'm not following the pattern of omaha beach, carentan, market garden, battle of the bulge... thats overplayed).

Honestly, I think ww2 has plenty left to be tapped into, developers just don't. WW2 didn't start in 1942, y'know. I would love to see a ww2 fps set first in france, then greece, africa, through italy, operation dragoon, etc. Or hell, maybe even something on the german or japanese side?
    You're not the only one. I'm with you on this. I'm still ready, willing and able to dive into some WWII FPSers, assuming your caveats.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Alls I'm sayin'.

Resistance? I know it's not infinity ward, but just saying there has been at least one take on it.
    I think a WorldWar Turtledove ww2 scifi fps would have a helluva lot going for it..
    We'll bleed them in Chicago..

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »

Alls I'm sayin'.

I think a WorldWar Turtledove ww2 scifi fps would have a helluva lot going for it..
    We'll bleed them in Chicago..

Yes that has the potential for being a great game, but..

[A] - Do you trust Treyarch to do it any justice
    - Do you want it to be a Call of Duty Game?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    COD4 has the blatant Saudi Penninsula feel to it, if they're going to stick with the modern warfare deal they should go north a bit. maybe a Balkans feel or Caucasus Mountains .. Black Sea area maybe.
    Azerbaijan was this region..you were just stuck in a very narrow spot.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm glad someone finally decided to make a WW2 FPS, I don't know how this well has gone untapped for so long. The real question for me is exactly how gritty is it going to be? There were other games in the Pacific theater, but this could be the first one that doesn't treat it as a "shoot at people until they fall asleep" simulator. As much as I feel like this is a step backwards, the game could still be worth playing if they don't totally screw it up.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    I'm glad someone finally decided to make a WW2 FPS, I don't know how this well has gone untapped for so long. The real question for me is exactly how gritty is it going to be? There were other games in the Pacific theater, but this could be the first one that doesn't treat it as a "shoot at people until they fall asleep" simulator. As much as I feel like this is a step backwards, the game could still be worth playing if they don't totally screw it up.

I'm not sure you're doing it right. Sarcasm, I mean.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Call of Duty: Civil Defense
    civil-war-soldiers.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    civil-war-soldiers.jpg

Realistic hard tack healing system!

3 hours to reload guns!

Cannons!

Gangrene!

Slightly homo-erotic tension with the enemy!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    civil-war-soldiers.jpg

Realistic hard tack healing system!

3 hours to reload guns!

Cannons!

Gangrene!

Slightly homo-erotic tension with the enemy!

Mini-Game Achievements, write deep emotional letters home to your friends!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, the they had rudimentary machine guns and sexy hot air balloon reconnaissance during the American Civil War.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now if they did the Civil War, with aliens and odd stuff like Red Alert, but make it a FPS that could be interesting.

"Mechanical Steampowered Lincoln is terrorizing the Coca-Cola plant again! Put a stop to it!"

"Flying metal disk with non-english talking immigrants are attacking! Use the cannons to shoot em down!"

SkutSkut on