Options

Call of Duty 5: Medal of Honor 5

• Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    There will never be a game told from the Nazi perspective.

The closest one yet, mainstream, is probably Company of Heroes. The Germans in that are called the Wehrmacht, no swastikas appear, no reference to Nazis and you only use them in multiplayer.

There are far to many restrictions, legal and morally. With the american market being one of the largest in the world and, lets be frank, not exactly up to date on history as other places are, it would be confusing, annoying and pooly sell. Not to mention if some ass at fox news got hold of 'That Nazi propaganda game'

I mean how many WW2 games actualy feature anything other than Americans? Call of Duty perhaps stands out as one that is at least on the level with accurate history.

The Germans were actually called the Wehrmacht in WW2. Thats not a politically correct game mechanic /historynerd

I am waiting for the day that I can play a full game from the perspective of a wehrmacht solider and not have it glorify nor condemn him. Its been done in movies (shit... the people who made the movie Der Untergang (Downfall) were German and it is really one of the most even handed depictions of Hitler in all of film. And modern Germans loathe their past and nazism)

It is a touchy subject but if done tastefully, it could be great. There is a HUGE resource of untapped storytelling there that can only be found just about everywhere except videogames.

Oh I know they were the werhmacht. And I know for all the evil Nazis there were way more honorable, German Army soldiers who didnt share their ideals.

But look at it like this - very few people have studied that area of history any more than watching Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates. Even I, who took an extended option on it at college know very little.

All Im saying is, you could easily do a game that tells it from the German side. there were decent guys just getting caught up in the whole mess who didnt want to be there.

But at the end of the day, it would be a game where you win by shooting American soldiers. Extremely hard to pull off. The controvery too would be magnitudes higher than the GTA spin.

It would take so little for Fox to label it as 'the Nazi game' or whatever and BAM, its stuck.

So hard to do I honestly dont think any developer has the narrative skill to pull it off.

Eastern front. Put it there and you can shoot bolsheviks. Nobody likes Russians. ;-)

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    SumDeusSumDeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm still waiting for Call of Duty: 1776.

Fire two rounds per minute... and unable to hit a barn from 100ft...

SumDeus on
    mjarin.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Obviously a COD game has to be set post WW2 for there to be enough guns, vehicles and theatres to set a game in.

Vietnam is boring to everyone, also - you can't win it.

Korea? Pfft.

Iraq? Too political.

Afghanistan? Too sandy.

Why not COD6: Falklands Fury.

Just think, the game would only last like 12 hours, it could be set in real time.
    You play a British soldier, sitting on a Royal Navy cruiser.

"Press A to shell the ever loving shit out of the Argentinians"

Then you land on the beaches, walk up to the flagpole and raise the British flag. Game won. Back by supper for some crumpets and tea.

It works on so many levels. Plus, Infinity Ward have featured the Brits in all COD games, prominently. They love us.

Falklands - Britain teaching the world how to wage war right.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What was the war between the French and Vietnamese just before the Vietnam War?
    Because the French got their asses kicked because they built their base in a valley between mountains so the Vietnamese mortared the fuck out of them.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it too much to ask to have just one good game set during the Spanish Civil War? Or the Philippine American War? Or one of the "Hey rest of Europe, lets fuck China" wars?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think the Pacific theatre of WW2 is always essentially Pearl Harbor then some shitty jungle.

I want proper island hopping. crysis proved jungles and desert islands can be amazing. it is a setting for games criminally underused.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OH OH OH! Sino-Japanese War!
    The Japanese campaign ends when the Chinese blow up a dam on the Yellow River and kill 1,000,000 people to stop you.

The Russian campaign ends when.. Don't they get their asses kicked in a naval battle?
    I cant remember.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    All Russian campaigns end in exactly the same fashion. Swarms upon swarms of red army soldiers base rushing you.

they are, for real, orks.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TTODewback wrote: »
    What was the war between the French and Vietnamese just before the Vietnam War?
    Because the French got their asses kicked because china pretty much fought for the vietnamese, though the french kicked some serious vietnamese ass beforehand

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You may blame China, but I blame Candada.
    Anyways, I'd be fine with the next Call of Duty being another Modern Warfare one. Maybe in a Southeast Asia setting or like Siberia-esque setting. Maybe a continuation of cleaning out the Ultranationalist.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Obviously a COD game has to be set post WW2 for there to be enough guns, vehicles and theatres to set a game in.

Korea? Pfft.

Iraq? Too political.

Afghanistan? Too sandy.

Just think, the game would only last like 12 hours, it could be set in real time.

Then you land on the beaches, walk up to the flagpole and raise the British flag. Game won. Back by supper for some crumpets and tea.

It works on so many levels. Plus, Infinity Ward have featured the Brits in all COD games, prominently. They love us.

I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 of your ships got sunk. That war was closer than the British want to admit.

Anyway the Korean war could be fucking awesome. The pendulum war if you will. China gooo

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I actually heard that there were going to be TWO CoD games this year. One is going to be this one, the other is going to be a 3rd-person action game...

Source? I don't know, but I could find it.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    reignofevilreignofevil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Unless there is a hiroshima minigame, I am not interested.
    Kidding of course....
    Yes.... Kidding....

reignofevil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Korea? Pfft.

Iraq? Too political.

Afghanistan? Too sandy.

I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 of your ships got sunk. That war was closer than the British want to admit.

Anyway the Korean war could be fucking awesome. The pendulum war if you will. China gooo

Britain had a good 3.0 kill/death ratio in that war. Which as any CS player will tell you is incredibly good.

Our guns shot 5 miles farther then theirs. We destroyed them.

Not to make light of a serious conflict and the deaths of so many people, including civilians.

But dont fuck with England. Especially at sea.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Korea? Pfft.

Iraq? Too political.

Afghanistan? Too sandy.

Britain had a good 3.0 kill/death ratio in that war. Which as any CS player will tell you is incredibly good.

Our guns shot 5 miles farther then theirs. We destroyed them.

Not to make light of a serious conflict and the deaths of so many people, including civilians.

But dont fuck with England. Especially at sea.

You faced consicripts and not the properly geared and seasoned Argentinian soldiers who were trained by Britain. Again the war was a lot closer than many believe.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    3.0 is incredibly good, yes.

I am a CS player and I approve this message.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Close or far we still won.

And it was a clean cut traditional win too. No seceding of power to the Argentinians over several years.

Accept our terms or be destroyed. Just like our forefathers used to do.

Unfortunately it got Thatcher into office for the second time so every cloud has a shit stained mess on the other side.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about some sort of timetravel scenario to feature ALL cool battles from the history?

You are a timetraveling cop/soldier/general badass from year 3500.

There is a criminal organization who has gotten timetraveling technology in their hands and are trying to change history - by killing the ancestors of everyone who stand in their way at present day.

It would work much in the same way as Assassin's Creed - you would possess your past ancestors and stop the criminal organization who are possessing other past people and trying to kill the ancestors of the current world leaders in order to shape the course of the world in their own wishes.

Think about it. The first level could be in the year 3300 BC, where you would take down the enemy who is possessing Ötzi and trying to kill another caveman, in a ferocious, bloody and primal obsidian-knife fight.

Level two, you are in the middle of Battle of the Granicus, and your mission is to stop Alexander the Great from getting killed during the battle, while you are possessing the body of the guy who saved him during the battle in real life. Fight your way through the hordes of enemies with a spear and shield, in order to save Alexander in time.

Next level would jump to the Fall of Constantinople, the last bastion of what is left from the Roman Empire. You possess the body of a Muslim soldier, one of the soldiers of Mehmed II, and you fight under the shadow of the mighty holy city. You need to hunt down the six criminals possessing soldiers that are planning to backstab some other soldiers who were not meant to die during the battle.

It would continue as such, passing through the biggest battles of human history, racing through time. You'd meet with famous historical characters as well. From Mongolian conquests to Civil War to the World Wars to the Iraq War, finally culminating in a moment where you use everything you have learned from the battles of history to defeat your enemies with futuristic weapons (lightsabers to use your swordfighting skills, etc.)

It would be pretty cool.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So basically Sliders : The game.

Day one.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know...a futuristic shooter that isn't just "lol lazers and aliens!" would be nice.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know...a futuristic shooter that isn't just "lol lazers and aliens!" would be nice.

A future without lasers is a future I want no part of.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope that a future Call of Duty game is what I basically hoped CoD4 would be (not that it's not completely awesome the way it did turn out): fictional, what-if World War 3.

It would deal with China and its economic weight becoming a threat to the US, so much that the US ends up declaring an embargo on all Chinese products. China doesn't like that, and retorts with some economic sanctions of its own. The whole situation escalates, to a point where Hong Kong/Los Angeles/Shanghai/Seattle is eventually nuked. Boom, World War 3.

Meanwhile, you could have an internal power struggle going on in Russia, with bolshevik die-hards wanting to join China against the capitalist nations, and Moscow doing everything it can to support the US. Eventually, part of Russia could secede, and you'd have three fronts to fight the war right there: American, Chinese and Russian. Add the British somewhere in there so it's still Call of Duty.

I would play that and love it so hard.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm only worried about how respectful they can be if they want to go as dark and gritty a possible. Real people fought in World War 2, and I don't want to see some macho-man "I don't think we're alone here" bullshit.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well the series so far has been pretty tasteful and realistic in that department. It's done a good job of making the soldiers, well, human. They joke around on their downtime, they panic in terror when shit hits the fan, they help each other through horrible challenges.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Well the series so far has been pretty tasteful and realistic in that department. It's done a good job of making the soldiers, well, human. They joke around on their downtime, they panic in terror when shit hits the fan, they help each other through horrible challenges.

That's a big reason I've been able to enjoy the series without feeling like an asshole.

But the stuff they're saying makes me worried. Survival horror feel? That could totally work, as I'm sure being in a war involves a lot of trying to survive and being scared of stuff. But it's still a slippery slope. I suppose only time will tell.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    No need to promote or glorify a sick ideology. Also, no need to either demonize the soldiers or to go out of your way to make them into Hollywood's "good Germans."
    This I agree with completely. There is no black and white, and my ideal vision of the game would be to show both ugly and the good side about the Germans. I don't think any of us wants to hear Nazi propaganda through the game, that's not how it should work. Ofcourse, when you think about it, I understand very well why you can't play as them. Imagine shooting Americans, British .. what if any of the guys you should could be your granfather who was in the war, for instance? But I still want to - it is only a game, but I can understand that it is a very touchy subject.

Back in 1940 when the Germans invaded Norway, there would be soldiers who felt sorry for the civilians and secretly gave them chocolate (which, as far as I know, they had never tasted before). For me it would be much more interesting to play as the Germans. Think of what Infinity Ward could do with the marches to Hitlers speeches. It could be so epic.

Zilart on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not actually that tired of WW2 yet as there is still a lot of ground to cover, both in story and gameplay. We don't have a game about the Warsaw Uprising yet, for example. And to my knowledge, there isn't a game that tackles the Battle of Manila. There is still such potential in WW2 that I can't give up on it yet. That's why the news of CoD 5 going to the Pacific Theatre actually makes me glad. As long as it's handled with the same sort of professionalism that went into 4, we may be in for a really unique experience, but I guess that Treyarch is the real problem here isn't it?

I like the idea of setting an FPS game from the German perspective, like other people have suggested. There is actually a campaign in the expansion pack for Company of Heroes that tackles Operation Market Garden but from the German perspective. I like how it had this sort of doomed feel to it. In the campaign, you sort of follow two brothers, one who is disillusioned about the entire war and feels that Germany is doomed, and one who is still very much loyal to the establishment. I thought that was the right way to do it, and it would have been great if they made an FPS game that delved deeper into that.

As for CoD 5, I would be happy if they just made it about the Pacific Theatre and handled it like Call of Duty 4. But if they made like an alternate history of it, that would be cool too. Imagine if the Allies actually went through with Operation Downfall (the planned invasion of the Japanese Main Islands). That would be epic. Wiki has this little tidbit about it:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On Marshall's orders, Major-General John E. Hull looked into the tactical use of nuclear weapons for the invasion of the Japanese home islands (even after dropping two strategic atomic bombs on Japan, Marshall did not think that the Japanese would capitulate immediately). Colonel Lyle E. Seeman reported that at least seven bombs would be available by X-Day, which could be dropped on defending forces. Seeman advised that American troops not enter an area hit by a bomb for "at least 48 hours"; the risk of fallout was not well understood, and that short amount of time would have resulted in substantial radiation exposure for the American troops.

Imagine sitting there on the transport ship seeing Kyushu Island in the distance, with seven mushroom clouds on the horizon as your invasion force wades ashore. Makes for a good game concept, at least.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Still sad that the only fps' that I know of that tackle the invasion of france(not the resistance) are multiplayer(WWIIOL, Forgotten Hope)

Seriously, even the polish have gotten more attention. The french were all over, involved in every theatre of the war(well, other than the russian front), and they didn't surrender in each fight, I promise!

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hitler has been kidnapped by polar bears, are you a bad enough dude to rescue Hitler?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

That's a big reason I've been able to enjoy the series without feeling like an asshole.

But the stuff they're saying makes me worried. Survival horror feel? That could totally work, as I'm sure being in a war involves a lot of trying to survive and being scared of stuff. But it's still a slippery slope. I suppose only time will tell.

Well the good thing about this is that it's not really a slippery slope

Because Infinity Ward will be back in the helm for 6. And I don't think they're going to look at Treyarch and say "Yeah they really have it right"

Khavall on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cue Ball wrote: »
    So basically Sliders : The game.

Day one.

In other news, Vietnam could technically be done, since IW have shown they're happy to break some rules.
    I always thought it wasn't a "done thing" to take control away from the player and kill them, because I always see people bitch that you can't do that. Well they do it twice in CoD4, both times to great effect.
    Obviously it'd be a different rule to break with making a Vietnam game, but they might be able to do a good job. That said, I'd much prefer them just to run with a modern setting.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They could make a level where you're that guy from that photograph.

You know the one I mean.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That was a girl, wasn't it?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Hitler has been kidnapped by polar bears, are you a bad enough dude to rescue Hitler?

Bad taking a more literal sense here. As in evil.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    Tiemler wrote: »
    No need to promote or glorify a sick ideology. Also, no need to either demonize the soldiers or to go out of your way to make them into Hollywood's "good Germans."
    This I agree with completely. There is no black and white, and my ideal vision of the game would be to show both ugly and the good side about the Germans. I don't think any of us wants to hear Nazi propaganda through the game, that's not how it should work. Ofcourse, when you think about it, I understand very well why you can't play as them. Imagine shooting Americans, British .. what if any of the guys you should could be your granfather who was in the war, for instance?

My grandfathers and great uncles and cousins all served in the Wehrmacht so I kill them every time I play a WW2 game... you dont see me shitting a brick. Besides I kill American troops in COD4 on a consistent basis too.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd definitely play a game based on the Korean War. The only game that I can think of that took place during it was some kind of flight sim released years ago.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm taking solace in the fact that CoD4 is so awesome, that it will likely last me long enough to wait for CoD6.

I just can't understand any aspect of the entertainment industry I enjoy anymore. Treyarch doing CoD5, Marvel might not be giving John Favreu Iron Man 2, DC just randomly fired a few of their better writers(from what i understand, i haven't ouched any DC book for a while now), Magic the gathering adding a fourth rarity, all this Net Neutrality garbage....

It's like the world is telling me "You know what, you keep your money, we got enough from ya."

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't have a problem with playing the OpFor in an FPS. Hell, Counterstrike has CT vs. Terrorists, and you can't get any more controversial than that in this climate. And I loved playing German in Day of Defeat for the coolness factor of picking off GIs with my bolt-action rifle.

But the bottom line is, I don't want IW making another historical COD. I'd like them to stay modern, follow one or at most two units through the story, and keep the plot from getting too big. They don't need to emulate Clancy and go into Endwar territory.

One last point. Just because COD3 was a letdown doesn't mean Treyarch can't make a decent COD game on their next attempt. Ditch the binoculars, add some tense lulls in the fighting like IW did in COD4, add some more checkpoints, and drop the QTEs. I'd really like to see this next one feature Guadalcanal prominently. Bolt-action rifles on both sides, since the Marines didn't have Garands yet, and fighting with an entrenching tool.

And single-player achievements only, please. If we like MP, we'll play it. Just put in challenges.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In all honesty I'd like to see them make a semi-futuristic war game, featuring weapons that are only in the concept stages today. I think that would be pretty cool.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    That was a girl, wasn't it?

No

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png