Options

Call of Duty 5: Medal of Honor 5

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is actually looking decent, I'll probably rent it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The talk of a soldier being blinded by a cigar sounds pretty nasty though.. I hope they're not just going to do that for the sake of it. CoD4 kinda had a point behind the violence and things you saw, it was just gratuitous.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    sp1ttle wrote: »
    I second the motion of having a Korean War version. The Vietnam War had at least a Battlefield Vietnam, so why not have a CoD (or any decent war shooter) set in the Korean War?

The Korean War is one of the most under-themed games of the large World Wars, I think I've only ever seen one of them.

The problem with the Korean War, from a purely video game standpoint, is that it wasn't a terribly interesting war as far as wars go.

I mean, outside the initial conquering of virtually the entire peninsula by North Korean forces off the bat; Americans hopping over from Japan and moving the fight actually past Pyongyang before politics stopped the push to the Yalu. After that, the war shifted borders to more or less what we see today with a virtual stalemate for years. Sure, there were a few epic battles, but neither side made any progress for various reason, all political.

It just wouldn't make for a great video game to have an epic first act, then have your character sit there for 3 years in a trench while leaders make feigned attempts at cease fires and diplomacy; ending in an anti-climatic cease-fire agreement which is still in force today; seeing as how the Korean War technically still isn't over.

Anyway, it's a fascinating war from a historical and political perspective. It's just not the greatest war for entertainment purposes. And that statement sounded terrible.

MacArthur and the UN forces were nearly finished overtaking the entire peninsula, and he wanted to push into China and kept arguing with Truman that we should nuke China.

I think that was a pretty big deal. In terms of significant battles, I think the Choisin Reservoir was a pretty big deal. 300,000 UN troops managed to defeat six entire Chinese divisions after the initial shockwave.

It's a very significant war. The United States hates talking about it for several reasons:

1. We didn't win.

2. Ultimately we gained nothing from it directly, but Japan profiting enormously from the war. This was good because the United States was intentionally extremely lenient on Japan to create a strong, strategically placed ally to watch the USSR and Red China. But we don't like to talk about it because Japanese war crimes are a touchy issue for the US. We turn a blind eye to it because they're such important trade allies, and it's a bitter source of resent from China, South Korea and North Korea.

3. Even though we lost, we can get away with not talking about it or discussing it's significance in class because it was a policing action that received almost unanimous public approval. Everyone including the American public thought it was a great idea. That's why we were able to send so many troops.

We have to talk about Vietnam because it was extremely controversial and brought about less subtle changes. JFK was the guy who put is in there. Because of Vietnam Congress decided the ability for a president to declare war was too powerful, so we have the rule we go by today. A president may take an emergency military policing action to intervene in anything he sees as a threat, but he must notify Congress within 48 hours and it is Congress who decides to declare war. The second change was the age to vote. Previously you had to be 21, but people began asking why is it that we can send our 18 year old kids off to die in war but they can't vote for the people who send them to fight?

But coming back to the Korean War, I think you really underestimate how crazy that war was in terms of battles. And it would make a refreshing new commentary about war. The really sad thing is ultimately, these men literally died for nothing because of dumb politicians who couldn't play their cards right. The borders are more or less the same. The DMZ still stands there as a grim reminder of the longest ceasefire in history.

I think you didn't read what I said.
    Anyway, it's a fascinating war from a historical and political perspective. It's just not the greatest war for entertainment purposes. And that statement sounded terrible.

I could talk for days about the Korean War and its effect even up to today.

I'm just saying it'd make for a terrible FPS video game. Strategy game, maybe. Probably not an RTS though.

Also, for the discussion regarding making it like MASH; sure, you could...but you have to realize MASH (the TV show, which most people think of when they hear MASH, not the movie/book) was actually more about the Vietnam war than the Korean War, even though the show is still set in Korea. The politics and morality pushed were those of the period the show was being made in. That sounds critical but it's not. MASH is great, and a MASH game could be really fun.

Battle of Chosin Reservoir. 30,000 men against 60,000. Not epic? Not a huge turning point or battle? If you want to take that stance, WW2 essentially from the time it lasted to the major battles that occured was a boring affair. Afterall war is 99% boredom and 1% chaos.

Why would any war make a bad shooter? It's a fucking genre where you shoot shit.

intercept on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The video has me tentatively excited. It's not too late for them to screw it up, but I'm kind of looking forward to a little bit of a grittier WW2 game. I just hope it doesn't go overboard and have the Japanese raping a bunch of orphans or setting puppies on fire.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now raping the puppies and...

awww, nevermind.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    The video has me tentatively excited. It's not too late for them to screw it up, but I'm kind of looking forward to a little bit of a grittier WW2 game. I just hope it doesn't go overboard and have the Japanese raping a bunch of orphans or setting puppies on fire.

Essentially that is what they did.

intercept on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

That doesn't mean I want to see it when I'm playing a game. I don't need to see the people I horribly maim recovering in the hospital or their grieving families either. I don't even want to try and Google to see how many puppies were set on fire during WWII, but there are certain lines I don't feel add anything to games when they are crossed even if they supposedly really happened.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

That doesn't mean I want to see it when I'm playing a game. I don't need to see the people I horribly maim recovering in the hospital or their grieving families either. I don't even want to try and Google to see how many puppies were set on fire during WWII, but there are certain lines I don't feel add anything to games when they are crossed even if they supposedly really happened.

That line was half sarcasm, but I'm Korean-American. My grandmother once told me a story about a 10 year old boy who was taken to the town square and bayoneted to death by Imperial soldiers for the crime of speaking Korean in school. When Japan formally annexed Korea into the Japanese Empire, they tried to stamp out the native culture and proclaimed anyone not properly assimilating could be punished by death.

Horrible story? Very much so. Doesn't belong in a game? I don't know. CoD4 had some pretty heavy shit.
    One of your playable characters gets nuked. You play a president who gets executed as an example on public television. Everyone you've ever cared about in the game ever gets flatlined at the end of the game.

Not as shocking as what you may find in CoD 5? Probably, but the reason I'm actually excited about this game is that it's finally trying to do something a little different than other WW2 shooters. It's more psychological. It's about how scared you are fighting a completely fanatical, relentless enemy that is utterly alien to yourself.
    I hear the game actually starts with you being a prisoner of war, and a Japanese officer decapitating your friends with a katana down the line. Before you can join them on a pike, US Marines storm in to rescue you.

So I think shock value stuff like that is warranted in a game like this.

intercept on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't really object to the horrors of war, I'm referring to a bunch of intentional rape the dog moments to try and make me hate the other side. The excrement tends to hit the air conditioning unit pretty hard during war, and people did some pretty atrocious things on both sides. I just hope that the Japanese don't end up being the the only splattered if they're going to go in that direction.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't really object to the horrors of war, I'm referring to a bunch of intentional rape the dog moments to try and make me hate the other side. The excrement tends to hit the air conditioning unit pretty hard during war, and people did some pretty atrocious things on both sides I just hope that the Japanese don't end up being the the only splattered if they're going to go in that direction.

So a more even-handed depiction of war crimes? I can dig that.

intercept on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well again, it always has to come down to how it's handled. If that moment described is somehow presented as awesome and badass, if it's done gratuitously, then it's missed the point of it being there. If they're going to show you gruesome events, they've got to make it actually say something.

That's where I'm a little uncertain that Treyarch are the ones to do so.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Trevor, thanks for linking to that tropes site. I'm engrossed in reading about them all now. :lol:

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Press X to rape a German Fraulein.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Press O to mistake ethanol V2 rocket fuel as consumable alcohol, and feel as if your intestines are being seared slowly over a skewer before ultimately succumbing to death with the rest of your inebriated ranger unit.

intercept on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Introducing the new raping and then nailing women to a barn door mini-game! Takes full use of motion controls to give you the most realistic experience possible!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

X, X, X, X!!!

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I do hope they put in the Philippines in this game. I've been dreaming about a video game portrayal of WW2 Philippines ever since I learned my country was a battleground in WW2. There's a lot of ground they can cover there, like Corregidor, Leyte, or Manila.

My granddad and his buddies used to have some sick stories about the war. He was part of the USAFFE Corregidor garrison, and subsequently he was also a Bataan Death March survivor, so you can imagine what kind of things he experienced. That's why when Treyarch said they'd be focusing on the more brutal elements of what happens in war, I was glad. Maybe now, I could actually see it instead of reading about it, or hearing it from half-remembered stories.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I hear this has four player online co-op and two player split screen co-op. Neat.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    So I hear this has four player online co-op and two player split screen co-op. Neat.

That's pretty excellent. I miss split-screen co-op in games.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Introducing the new raping and then nailing women to a barn door mini-game! Takes full use of motion controls to give you the most realistic experience possible!

You know what the sad part is? That would probaly be the highest selling video game ever.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

That's pretty excellent. I miss split-screen co-op in games.

As do I. If it wasn't for Gears of War my second controller would have been a total waste of money. :|

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jast wrote: »

You know what the sad part is? That would probaly be the highest selling video game ever.

Allied war crimes are great aren't they?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to point out that Vietnam did NOT set the precedent for when the President can declare war, because the founders and framers were very clear that only congress has that ability. Vietnam didn't do it, the founders didn't want the President to be a militaristic tyrant.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that Vietnam did NOT set the precedent for when the President can declare war, because the founders and framers were very clear that only congress has that ability. Vietnam didn't do it, the founders didn't want the President to be a militaristic tyrant.

Correct. That blame belongs to the Truman Administration with the Korean War.

One can argue the merits of the Korean War (where would you rather live, a high-tech democracy or starving to death in a gulag slave-nation?) but it was a major erosion of congressional oversight in warmaking.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Who knew a war game thread would have political ramifications?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

No, no, that's the Russians in East Prussia expansion....

Anyhow, I don't want a 100% depiction of the crap the Imperial Japanese did, but a darker, more edgy, and brutal CoD game is fine by me. WW 2 hasn't been done to death, it's the European theatere that's been done too much. The pacific war could use a good game and it *was* a lot darker and less heroic with the kill or be killed/no surrender/suicidal religious fanatiscism nature of Imperial Japan.

That government was an ideal ally for Nazi Germany where the "Asian co-prosperity sphere" was basically one big death camp.

In some ways they were worse.

The Nazis singled out certain groups for their sickness and at least made a show of following the Geneva Convention with most Western POWs; in Imperial Japan *everyone* who defied the will of the Sun God-Emperor got treated like animals.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Not as shocking as what you may find in CoD 5? Probably, but the reason I'm actually excited about this game is that it's finally trying to do something a little different than other WW2 shooters. It's more psychological. It's about how scared you are fighting a completely fanatical, relentless enemy that is utterly alien to yourself.

This.

Again, I hope they don't go overboard on the blood and brutality, but if they pull that off, it'll encapsulate the essense of the Pacific War perfectly.

I finished reading "Band of Brothers" recently and that part where the 1-506th of the 101 Airborne enters Germany for the first time is telling; they're amazed that the "vicious Huns" they've been killing are more like Americans in many ways than any of the other Europeans they've met (even the Brits).

The experience in the Pacific was far different Japanese soldiers did not surrender, they had no religion or culture in common (days before multi-cultural studies) and what they did see were, yes, the first religious fanatic suicide bombers that our country had ever fought who seemingly had no regard for life to include their own.

I've heard that the Japanese Imperial Army in WW2 served as the inspiration for the "Bugs" in Heinlein's Starship Troopers; the precursor to the Xenomorphs, Zerg, Tyrranids, ect.; that's how alien both sides were to each other back then.

I'm amazed and glad we've come so far. Kids playing Pokemon and Nintendo, ect.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Everyone remember that part in the Band of Brothers series, where the guys pass by these German prisoners, and one guy recognizes someone he grew up with? He even lights a smoke and they laugh together.

And then about ten minutes later, they execute them.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

X, X, X, X!!!

Miss the button presses and they'll kick you in the balls... or offer you strudel or something.

Knowing German chicks though, they'll probably rape you back.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    widowson wrote: »

Anyhow, I don't want a 100% depiction of the crap the Imperial Japanese did, but a darker, more edgy, and brutal CoD game is fine by me. WW 2 hasn't been done to death, it's the European theatere that's been done too much. The pacific war could use a good game and it *was* a lot darker and less heroic with the kill or be killed/no surrender/suicidal religious fanatiscism nature of Imperial Japan.

That government was an ideal ally for Nazi Germany where the "Asian co-prosperity sphere" was basically one big death camp.

The Nazis singled out certain groups for their sickness and at least made a show of following the Geneva Convention with most Western POWs; in Imperial Japan *everyone* who defied the will of the Sun God-Emperor got treated like animals.

Germany should have kept relations with China. They would have won the war with them.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Germany should have kept relations with China. They would have won the war with them.

stop giving the past tips for god's sake

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Trevor, thanks for linking to that tropes site. I'm engrossed in reading about them all now. :lol:

Co-signed. And I thought I would get real things done today.

Thanks, Trevor. Thank you really much.
    D:

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Everyone remember that part in the Band of Brothers series, where the guys pass by these German prisoners, and one guy recognizes someone he grew up with? He even lights a smoke and they laugh together.

Indeed, I watched that for the first time very recently. great series. pretty scary the effect that war has on people, and pretty sad the way we show no signs as a species of learning from that over time...

cliffski on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

This.

Again, I hope they don't go overboard on the blood and brutality, but if they pull that off, it'll encapsulate the essense of the Pacific War perfectly.

The experience in the Pacific was far different Japanese soldiers did not surrender, they had no religion or culture in common (days before multi-cultural studies) and what they did see were, yes, the first religious fanatic suicide bombers that our country had ever fought who seemingly had no regard for life to include their own.

I've heard that the Japanese Imperial Army in WW2 served as the inspiration for the "Bugs" in Heinlein's Starship Troopers; the precursor to the Xenomorphs, Zerg, Tyrranids, ect.; that's how alien both sides were to each other back then.

And that is why the chances of this game being a total turd are pretty fucking high. Because WE'VE FOUGHT THIS ENEMY IN GAMES BEFORE. Hell, fanatical suicide rushers were pretty much the majority of enemies in games for just about forever. It is simply not difficult to program enemies who will run at you.

Enemies jumping out of nowhere at you and snipers up above is nothing that hasn't been done a billion times before. But talking about it like it is usually informs you that the developer doesn't have a fucking clue.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    devolve wrote: »
    And that is why the chances of this game being a total turd are pretty fucking high. Because WE'VE FOUGHT THIS ENEMY IN GAMES BEFORE. Hell, fanatical suicide rushers were pretty much the majority of enemies in games for just about forever. It is simply not difficult to program enemies who will run at you.
    You're right, mad-rush enemies were the earliest and most common shooter enemies. It's all they ever did. We're not way beyond that.

However, I'm not sure I've seen many games where there were dozens and dozens of these enemies at once, rushing forward in a highly-charged combat atmosphere while you're surrounded by dozens of allies shooting and screaming and getting cut down in the sheer chaos of the melee, utter panic for you and your fellow soliders and frantic fighting just to survive in a realistic war atmosphere.

I don't know that the game will deliver this experience and make no promises that it will (haven't an opinion on whether it will, really), but the potential is there. Dismissing it as a "total turd" based on this one bit of information -- especially since there is no indication that that's all there is to the gameplay, as you appear to imply -- seems rather knee-jerk to me.
    Enemies jumping out of nowhere at you and snipers up above is nothing that hasn't been done a billion times before. But talking about it like it is usually informs you that the developer doesn't have a fucking clue.
    Yes, it informs us that they don't have a fucking clue. That, or it informs us that they're offering PR-driven hype designed to make their game sound intense. A crazy idea, I know, but since the statements are coming from, you know, PR-driven hype designed to make their game sound intense, that juuuust might be the case.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's just something that jumped out as me, that their AI will suicide-rush you with a bayonet.

That's a behaviour that's as old as Wolfenstein and Doom. Obviously there's a chance they've made it actually work as a realistic feature, but it's something I'd be careful about touting about.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I honestly laughed out loud when I read the thing about the enemies' suicide attacks since it sounds like how AI used to be. I'm just going to hope it isn't like playing the original Doom, because I am hoping this game turns out good.

Not that there's anything wrong with the original Doom, of course.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, I honestly laughed out loud when I read the thing about the enemies' suicide attacks since it sounds like how AI used to be. I'm just going to hope it isn't like playing the original Doom, because I am hoping this game turns out good.

As long as you're playing it in 1993, it's awesome.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

As long as you're playing it in 1993, it's awesome.

My girlfriend and I played it co-op this past weekend! It was still fun! Kinda.

But yeah, that kind of stuff doesn't usually fly with today's games, Painkiller being an exception.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cliffski wrote: »

Indeed, I watched that for the first time very recently. great series. pretty scary the effect that war has on people, and pretty sad the way we show no signs as a species of learning from that over time...

Well, I wouldn't say that. After all, how many countries who participated in WWII have been part of that sort of a war after that? Hell, some haven't even had any wars after it. I think we are slowly learning, after all, war has been wiped out from European and American continents. It's the other ones that are problems now.

DarkCrawler on