As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D in the WoW universe

MasterGraterMasterGrater Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
Recently I've been trying to get a group of friends to play D&D with me. They're all huge Warhammer 40k players, and they're no strangers to RPGs since we play Dark Heresy a lot. I just got finished GMing a big-ass campaign a few days ago, and I've been trying to get them into D&D. They won't, and the main reason being they don't like the fantasy setting. I've showed them the Planescape setting, and most of them agreed it was too weird. They're all huge WoW fans, as well, and the only fantasy settings I've seen them show interest to was Warhammer Fantasy and Warcraft. None of us want to play WHFRP, because the rules are too similar to Dark Heresy so I figure that the Warcraft setting is probably the only option if I want them to play D&D.

I figure that the Warcraft setting would be pretty good to GM in, since my players are already familiar with it and it wouldn't be that hard to make dungeons. I could just take a creative license with existing instances. Hell, it would probably be really fun both to design and play the dungeons. I could probably make a fucking awesome dungeon out of Zul'Aman.

The reason that I made this thread is because I don't jack shit about Warcraft. The highest level I got a character to was 23, and the only instances I ran myself was Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang keep, Ragefire Chasm, and the Deadmines. I only know about the high level stuff and some of the lore/background from watching my friends play WoW and hearing them talk about it. Could anybody give me some tips/ideas or point me in the direction of a place where I could get a lot of background for the Warcraft setting? Is this even a good idea, or am I a huge fucking retard for even thinking about this?

MasterGrater on

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should play the Warcraft 3 & Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne real time strategy games, assuming you haven't. They are great campaigns and would be a good setting tutorial.

There is also a WoW RPG, I believe.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main will tell you more information than you ever wanted to know, in what they call "lore" (aka Warcraft story).

piL on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a Warcraft tabletop fantasy role-playing game as well as a WoW one.

There's also wowwiki, which is a very good sight for information on the Warcraft universe. You pretty much missed your chance to play Warcraft 1-2, but 3 still holds up well I believe.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes. WC3 with the TFT xpac is still good and playable, I still play it sometimes. It's up there with Starcraft imo for the best from Blizzard; it's almost a reason to forgive them for just stealing WH / WH40k when they couldn't get the licenses.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i've said it once and i'll say it again

starcraft is almost nothing like wh40k

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tyranids, Space marines, Eldar or something? :P I mean, sure there's no Emporer... but they took what they needed to do what they wanted... and well! SC is great, I love it. Blizzard brought SC & WC to market in a way that GW failed to do with WH & 40k. I still feel bitter on GW's behalf for it to at least some degree.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i've said it once and i'll say it again

starcraft is almost nothing like wh40k

Putting the potential for a raging nerdwar aside for a moment, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one, Burden.

Now that I really think about it... going back to the Starship Troopers novel... I'd say Federation / Arachnids / Skinnies.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tyranids, Space marines, Eldar or something? :P I mean, sure there's no Emporer... but they took what they needed to do what they wanted... and well! SC is great, I love it. Blizzard brought SC & WC to market in a way that GW failed to do with WH & 40k. I still feel bitter on GW's behalf for it to at least some degree.

They did borrow a ton from the Rogue Trader & Space Hulk days and have since gone into different stylistic directions. The descriptions for Eldar and Protoss are still almost identical, excluding appearance.

My vote is for West End Game's Star Wars, but you'll need some luck finding a proper copy of the Revised 2nd Edition book.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We all know starcraft stole horribly from wh40k. That's why space marines have a life expectancy of nine seconds and are mainly made up of rehabilitated criminals. Thats why the eldar are known for low model counts of units with high armour along with a caste system.

The zerg... well, fine, but Arachnids. Seriously, its not an original idea.

40k and starcraft have similarities and differences. They're both fun games in their own right. There's no need to fight.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    We all know starcraft stole horribly from wh40k. That's why space marines have a life expectancy of nine seconds and are mainly made up of rehabilitated criminals. Thats why the eldar are known for low model counts of units with high armour along with a caste system.

40k and starcraft have similarities and differences. They're both fun games in their own right. There's no need to fight.

But if they did fight, how awesome would that battle be?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But if they did fight, how awesome would that battle be?
    Picture Aliens Vs. Predator, as interpreted by Uwe Boll.

That's how awesome it would be.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The zerg are tyranids! IMO they feel the most stolen.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

The zerg are tyranids! IMO they feel the most stolen.

He's saying Tyranids are a pretty big ripoff. They're either Giger's aliens with a arachnids from Starship Troopers hive mind thrown in, or arachnids with a bit of Giger rape motif in (watered down a bit--that man loved rape).

Zerg are basically Arachnids with some Giger's Aliens sprinkled in.

In fact, most of Starcraft seems to take some from Warhammer lightly, and from Aliens a lot more. The criminal terrans and their architecture match mid eighties cyberpunk (lol Aliens 1986) a lot more than WH40k's gothic architecture and style of marines. Neither marine is as much of a walking death trap as Star Ship Trooper's MI (who few really fast and launched man-portable nukes as a matter of course)--but are more in line with, once again, the marines from Aliens.

I'll agree that a lot of original WC is taken from WH, but SC seems pretty far removed. I hate defending Blizzard :|

piL on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You can't deny that they make great games though. I'm "over" WoW by a good bit but WC3 and SC I still play occasionally, and those are not new games at all. Even a younger, more pirate-y me had the respect to pay for everything from Blizzard because I felt their stuff was worth it.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rogue Trader Marines were often described as reprogrammed ex-criminals as much as hardened death world recruits, and there were far less examples of consistent gothic design until the early-mid 1990s, especially in Space Hulk, a popular game among many Blizzard employees that decade. That's also why popular '80s SciFi themes like emergent psychic nature and anti-mutation are theme in a late '90s game like StarCraft. From there they picked up a lot of homages to 'gritty' SciFi akin to their preferred visual style, like Aliens.

The Protoss on the other hand, there's like two things different from Eldar; crystals and a singular warrior temple. They fill the exact same role and have tremendously similar origins.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always thought the Terran were like copypasted Imperial guard, only with space marine technology and armor.

To the OP, it does to be frank sound like a rather odd idea considering your lack of knowledge of the game. It would certainly feel odd for me as an experienced player to try to imagine the world of Azeroth as anything else than the rather small grinding-playground it is in the MMO. It would seem even odder to play in a campain where the DM knows the realm much worse than me though considering the 10 million "living" there.

Then again, it might not be all bad. Reading up on the main events and areas of the world you would be able to skip the worst blunders, while giving a fresh experience of Kalimdor and the four kingdoms. I approve of your idea.

Vic on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Could anybody give me some tips/ideas or point me in the direction of a place where I could get a lot of background for the Warcraft setting? Is this even a good idea, or am I a huge fucking retard for even thinking about this?

No, you aren't. If your players are interested in something, then you do what they want to do. If everybody has fun, then it is all that matters. If you decide to do this though, you're going to have to talk to your players and determine what is canonical in your world of Warcraft. WC3 and TFT (the strategy games) are much more realistic and gritty; the closest thing I could describe them resembling is vanilla Warhammer. Then you've got World of Warcraft/extended universe lore (meaning in game lore, books, the Warcraft RPG, etc.), this tends to be somewhat realistic, though it borders on the fantastical. Finally, you've got what goes on in WoW, which the players will probably be most familiar with but is completely divorced from anything resembling reality.

I would second the suggestion of Wowwiki for lore. I'd also add in Bosskillers as a suggestion if you want to include raid bosses in your game, or just for ideas on interesting fights.

One thing to remember is that the World of Warcraft is an entire WORLD full of stuff, and the MMO barely touches any of it. You could run an entire campaign just in the city of Stormwind (or any of the capitals) and never once run out of things to do.

zerg rush on