As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Civilization IV: Colonization announced

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    In the press release they say "all-new graphics" but in the screenshots it looks exactly the same as Civ IV.

It's running off the Civ IV engine. I imagine they will create some new unit graphics, maybe change up the interface, new tiles and info screens.

captaink on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    I thought Games for Windows was a Vista-only type thing. I was near to a fit of rage and hate. I looked it up and I was wrong; GFW games work on XP. Now I am very happy. Very happy indeed.

No, it's just a silly mark that some high-profile games get. I don't know what their motivation was; it's not like there's a Games for Macs initiative. :rotate:

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    Raere wrote: »
    I thought Games for Windows was a Vista-only type thing. I was near to a fit of rage and hate. I looked it up and I was wrong; GFW games work on XP. Now I am very happy. Very happy indeed.

No, it's just a silly mark that some high-profile games get. I don't know what their motivation was; it's not like there's a Games for Macs initiative. :rotate:
    It's just pointless marketing hoo-ha from Microsoft. That's all it is. Pretty much exactly like Nintendo's "Touch Generations" imprint.

Opium on
  • Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man guys I pulled out a copy of Civilization II Multiplayer Gold et cetera out of storage today and I have no idea how but it has sucked away at least five hours from the last four days each. (crazy vacation time, what is this game doing to me?)

Not directly on topic, but I also seem to have a copy of Civilization III lying around, but I haven't played it yet. How good is it compared to II? Is it worth my time?

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    Oh man guys I pulled out a copy of Civilization II Multiplayer Gold et cetera out of storage today and I have no idea how but it has sucked away at least five hours from the last four days each. (crazy vacation time, what is this game doing to me?)

Not directly on topic, but I also seem to have a copy of Civilization III lying around, but I haven't played it yet. How good is it compared to II? Is it worth my time?

IV > II > III > I

3 is interesting but isn't a real fundamental change besides adding resources. And making it so you don't get F-22s that can kill 12 units a turn. I miss Civ 2's stealth fighters.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's just pointless marketing hoo-ha from Microsoft. That's all it is. Pretty much exactly like Nintendo's "Touch Generations" imprint.

I thought one of the thibgs you needed to add gfw to your box was gamepad support, which i don't see how it could work

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

I thought one of the thibgs you needed to add gfw to your box was gamepad support, which i don't see how it could work

I'm not sure, but I think a game needs to go through a certification process to get the Games for Windows logo.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, what I meant, was that gamepad support are one of the checkboxes that a game needs to pass the certification

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Games for Windows are also required to support widescreen.

tofu on
  • MeatsockMeatsock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I came.

Meatsock on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, what I meant, was that gamepad support are one of the checkboxes that a game needs to pass the certification

Nah, 360 controller support is required only if it's appropriate. 360 ports and multiplatform games are obvious, as well as some PC-exclusive titles (Crysis immediately comes to mind). Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander were two GFW games that did not support the controller.

Zxerol on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man oh man, i was thinking about how cool colonization was lately. (both the game and the real historical period). How would it be updated to the new Civ IV elements? Since "resources" are taken directly from the land, hard to think what special resources would be used. And there was no tech race, either, although I guess the Continental Congress could be a proxy for that. Suppose they could add a religion element, and maybe more diplomacy options for dealing with Indians, although as intimated by other posters, the best displomacy is done with dragoons.

dojango on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've never been a heroin addicts, or gone into rehab. But this is what it must feel like.

Because for fucks sake. I just started playing wow again after 8 months break. another civ game, let alone mother fucking colonization, would just about end my already stunted social life.

The_Scarab on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome, a game in which I can oppress, enslave and destroy my opponents on a mad quest for domination o-

Man I love the civ series, this is gonna be awesome.

Heeeehehheheeeee.

Murder.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Once again I will play the British, stomping all over America putting down flags that say 'Belongs to me'.

Just like what ill be doing for real in about 7 days.

The_Scarab on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Once again I will play the British, stomping all over America putting down flags that say 'Belongs to me'.

Just like what ill be doing for real in about 7 days.

I think the applicable faction is the English; the act of union that established great britain didn't happen until 1707, and the game begins in 1492.

dojango on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is really bad news. I still have a copy of the Colonization manual, but no disks. I've been reading over the documentation about once a year for the past, oh, ten years.

I've had Colonization lust building at a slow and steady rate for such a long time I'm afraid I might actually explode when this hits shelves.

zilo on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I've never been a heroin addicts, or gone into rehab. But this is what it must feel like.

Because for fucks sake. I just started playing wow again after 8 months break. another civ game, let alone mother fucking colonization, would just about end my already stunted social life.

I was sitting there after reading the announcement, when I suddenly realized that I was whistling the introduction theme song... to a game from like 10 years ago that I haven't played in at least two years

Gdiguy on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I can still remember the opening theme to the original Civ game. I haven't played that in probably 8 years.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    do do doooo... do do doooo... do do doooo. do do do... :whistle:

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HAve you guys played freecol yet?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I can still remember the opening theme to the original Civ game. I haven't played that in probably 8 years.

Don't you just love the Civ IV main menu theme too? Without a doubt one of my favorite pieces of game music ever. So beautiful and atmospheric. <3

Opium on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I recently got Civ IV. I've been playing nothing but Marathon-length Huge Maps on Terra. Granted I usually end up fucking up around 500 AD. I'm awful at war. I tend to either over-or-underbuild my army, neglect my defenses, and fuck up my diplomacy.

By the way, anyone read that SA LP of Civ IV? It's really well-written.

(EDIT: Playing it has me thinking, along with this announcement...

I would fucking kill 200 babies and perform fellatio on the world's oldest man to get an Alpha Centauri II)

Wallhitter on
    edited June 2008
    BigDes wrote: »

No. I remember looking at it but it wasn't done or something. Have they finished?

captaink on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    I recently got Civ IV. I've been playing nothing but Marathon-length Huge Maps on Terra. Granted I usually end up fucking up around 500 AD. I'm awful at war. I tend to either over-or-underbuild my army, neglect my defenses, and fuck up my diplomacy.

I would fucking kill 200 babies and perform fellatio on the world's oldest man to get an Alpha Centauri II)

I always found Epic to actually be a more reasonable (and by that I mean fun to play without turning into an end turn button fest) long game than Marathon. Ymmv though.

Jealous Deva on
    edited June 2008

I always found Epic to actually be a more reasonable (and by that I mean fun to play without turning into an end turn button fest) long game than Marathon. Ymmv though.

I tend to like Marathon more; I feel like the faster gametypes wind up being too fast to build up a big army, in that by the time I can get a big army of, say, Swordsmen built, i've already teched up to Macemen (and the others are up to Longbows), requiring me to then upgrade everything

And Sid had an interview in the last couple days where he said something to the effect of "EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri, but we'd love to do it if we could"

Gdiguy on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gdiguy wrote: »

I tend to like Marathon more; I feel like the faster gametypes wind up being too fast to build up a big army, in that by the time I can get a big army of, say, Swordsmen built, i've already teched up to Macemen (and the others are up to Longbows), requiring me to then upgrade everything

And Sid had an interview in the last couple days where he said something to the effect of "EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri, but we'd love to do it if we could"
    Aw, serious-fucking-ly?! And eh, yeah. What I've been doing is practicing Marathon, noting mistakes, etc. Think I'll do an Epic run, I'm loving the Creative leader bonus.

Wallhitter on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Financial is the best, but yeah Creative is one of the other very nice ones. Makes the Dutch absurd in Beyond the Sword, especially with their unique building.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone done any modding for Civ 4?

Specifically, would it be possible to build multiple buildings in a single city? And, if so, is there any way to 'upgrade' a building?

Though, I suppose if it comes down to it, I could simply make a new unit with 0 move.

Tamin on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

No. I remember looking at it but it wasn't done or something. Have they finished?

I think so. it's up to version 7 now.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    Someone should make a new op (I'm exhausted), but apparently CivIV: Colonization is set for release on September 22nd or 24th, depending on what source you believe (amazon vs circuit city's leaked ad)... and is in the $25-$30 price range (according to CAG, it'll be $24.99 on their listed release date of Sept 24th, it's $28 on amazon)

I haven't seen much publicity since a month or two ago, but I'm still excited, and you should be too!

Gdiguy on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's only a couple of weeks! I'm terribly aroused. Play has it for the 26th.

Although don't they usual give us at least a month's notice on these things?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That's only a couple of weeks! I'm terribly aroused. Play has it for the 26th.

Although don't they usual give us at least a month's notice on these things?

There was a bunch of hands on at the usual sites like half a month ago, for example,

http://apolyton.net/colonization/11/159/

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope they'll put this on Steam soon after release. Or don't put the stupid CD checks in the boxed product.

Firebrand on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mac version?

They already have the engine, if they're using the one for Civ Iv.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was a touch disappointed to read that this not only uses the Civ IV engine (which is fine by me), but is considered to be a standalone expansion pack. Makes it sound as if the gameplay won't be significantly different than Civ IV, and instead that this will be a glorified scenario pack. I hope that's not the case. Much as I adore the Civ series, I'd like something a little more geared towards the unique aspects of Colonization.

Shoegaze99 on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Damn them. I'M TOO FUCKING BUSY FOR ALL THESE GAMES.

They need to start pacing themselves. Spread the gaming goodness out a bit.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
    edited September 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    I was a touch disappointed to read that this not only uses the Civ IV engine (which is fine by me), but is considered to be a standalone expansion pack. Makes it sound as if the gameplay won't be significantly different than Civ IV, and instead that this will be a glorified scenario pack. I hope that's not the case. Much as I adore the Civ series, I'd like something a little more geared towards the unique aspects of Colonization.

I think the original Colonization was probably build on some version of the Civ 1 engine. I think they'll be able to reproduce it faithfully.

captaink on
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

I think the original Colonization was probably build on some version of the Civ 1 engine. I think they'll be able to reproduce it faithfully.

For the love of logic, if they don't make this a faithful update I will cry like a 6 year old girl

hawkbox on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Where is my Master of Magic update? Hrmmm? Ah well, hope they do a good job with this, been awhile since I have played Civ4, wouldn't mind using this as an excuse to get back into it.

Smudge on