As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hollow Earth Expedition - your daily source of dinosaurs and Nazis

Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
hex_cover.gif

Rawr.

Just a heads-up on a very fun RPG that you may have missed.

Anyone played/heard of Hollow Earth Expedition? It's an RPG set in the 1930's, with an emphasis on the "pulp" adventure style and the works of Verne, Conan Doyle, and other authors of the day. It also has a feel similar to that of Indiana Jones, The Mummy, National Treasure, and other similar movies.

I've been running a campaign for a couple sessions, and the players and I really dig it. The mechanics are simple (a dice pool system a la White Wolf) which really makes the gameplay move. There's also a mechanic for "Style Points" which award players for playing up flaws, motivations, and for simply doing cool stuff.

Highly recommended from this D&D fan.

steam_sig.png
Shrieking Emu on

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This looks incredibly awesome.

mightyspacepope on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah that looks like fun.

Too bad I ran out of people to play these with a long time ago.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the character classes.

Scion of Atlantis and Hermetic Magician are HOT

I think I would play the Promethean scientist or rugged adventurer.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good little game, very overlooked. There's also a new supplement out for it, although I can't recall the title right now...

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good little game, very overlooked. There's also a new supplement out for it, although I can't recall the title right now...

Secrets of the Surface World. Looks good, but I haven't picked it up yet. The second sourcebook, "Mysteries of the Hollow Earth" is set to release at Gen Con this year, I believe.

Shrieking Emu on
    steam_sig.png
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just received this today. I've only glanced through it, but it's a very good-looking book. Great art, interesting tidbits of information.

Also, dinosaurs and Amazons.

I'm so pumped to try this out sometime.

mightyspacepope on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Secrets of the Surface World. Looks good, but I haven't picked it up yet. The second sourcebook, "Mysteries of the Hollow Earth" is set to release at Gen Con this year, I believe.

It's the Fargate! "F"! It's different from that movie that I've never seen, so how would I copy it?

I just want to make sure that we are clear it's the Fargate. "Goes far", get it? And there it is no way it came from that movie, or that syndicated series based on the movie.

But.... it sure was a good movie.....

Yeah, yes it was...

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This setting has so much potential. I saw the cover of the book and was sold immediately. I have yet to find anyone to play with me, though. So...anyone up to running a pbp? It would definitely be something different from the other games going on here on CF.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on