As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked RPG's - tell us about them!

VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
(Inspired by this thread)

With the D&D4E juggernaut slouching roughly towards Bethlehem, this thread is for all the great -- but overlooked -- RPG's out there. I'll throw out a few, and you take it from there.

Dread -- the First Book of Pandemonium
Barker meets Lovecraft, with a healthy dose of Woo. A modern horror game that literally kicks demon ass non-stop. (If fantasy is more your thing, Gates & Gorgons is based on the Dread ruleset and freely available here.)

Agon -- Prove the Glory of Your Name!
I've pimped this before, and now I'm pimping it again, For Great Truth. Heroic roleplaying in the age of Greek heroes. D&D with all of teh slaying and none of teh bullshit. IMO a landmark design, and possibly one of the indirect inspirations for D&D4E.

Metal Öpera -- Quest for the Power of Metal!
Awesome beer-and-pretzels heavy metal RPG. You do indeed quest for the power of metal, and you do indeed rock hard. With the right crowd, this is a hoot!

So what great games have I missed?

PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
VacuumJockey on

• Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Conspiracy X 2.0: Basically think game a X-Files game, where instead of trying to search for the truth, you are the one who guards the truth. Players are the members of AEGIS, secret conspiracy within US goverment that fights against alien, psionic and supernatural threats, while trying to keep everything secret from the public. Characters form a AEGIS cell, which members have been recruited various organizations within and outside US goverment. Team creates its base, uses its influence to keep things going way that AEGIS prefers, and goes into various missions all around the world. Pretty cool and well-thought game with some interesting ideas. I don't really want to spoil three alien races (Greys, Saurians and Atlanteans), but there is little information about supernatural.

In the world of Conspiracy X supernatural is actually result of psychic pheneoma called Seepage. Seepage is psychic noise that generates from despair, fear and natural superstition. When there is enough Seepage in the area, it forms some kind psychic pheneoma that can range from simple pyrokinesis to mutation. Some people attract this power naturally towards them. These people are called focis, and they are world's weird magnets. For example, it is "normal" for foci get a call which is to wrong number. But the caller is actually his ex-girlfriend, who has supposedly died 8 years ago.

Life of foci is pretty weird, and it gets even weirder when lots of seepage pour into concentrated area. When this happens, more weird things happens, and focis can perform miraclous rituals. Unfortunately, seepage can also mutate them. For example, thanks to foci, weird things start to happen in the village, and thanks to this, local people start to believe that there is werewolf outside. Even more seepage concentrates on the area thanks to their fears, and soon it mutates either foci or someone around him into a werewolf. Or to be precise, into a rampant madman who thanks to Seepage looks like werewolf to anyone who is capable of perceiving psychic pheneoma. He might be stronger thanks to seepage, but he is still a man under the psychic illusion.

Foci's complete opposite is void, who can't perceive psychic pheneoma at all. He can't be affected by it, and for him, everything always has a logical explanation. When others see a werewolf, void sees only a madman who is completely naked. Who has probably taken too much cocaine or some other shit. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Teenagers From Outer Space

The basic setting of Teenagers from Outer Space revolves around aliens making contact with Earth and becoming infatuated with Earth's "teen culture". So much, in fact, that many aliens move to Earth, and enroll their children in Earth schools. As you may well expect, wacky hijinks ensue.

Welcome to the world of Teenagers From Outer Space: the amazingly weird roleplaying game that lets you become a character in your very own (or even somebody else's) Japanese Animation Comedy Show! Complete with everything you'll need to create Silly Superpowers, Gonzo Gadgets, Bikini Battlesuits, Mecha Mayhem, Magical Girlfriends and the ever popular sex-changing Boy/Girl Gun, this new edition of the original award winning game is guaranteed to change the way you look at anime (and roleplaying) forever!

I Played this a loooong time ago. It was one of my first Rules-lite RPGs.
    I don't recall any anime connection back then but it was before anime became such a phenominon.

also for this list: pretty much everything from r-talsorian games

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    I don't recall any anime connection back then but it was before anime became such a phenominon.

There wasn't one. Cute game, but I was never able to play it with my group. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Being a HUGE fan of the Metabarons comic, I've always wanted to play the rpg based in that universe but never have.

From the company's site: http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/news/pressr.php?id=33&idx=0

"Focused on a clan of supremely powerful warriors, the story of the Metabarons, is a galaxy-spanning space opera teeming with wild concepts, alien worlds, powerful weapons and fantastic interplanetary vehicles. The comic book series of The Metabarons was named one of the "Best Comics You Don’t Read" by Warren Ellis in his column, "Come In Alone," for on-line service Comic Book Resources."

More info about the Metabarons here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabarons

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always mention

Little Fears in these threads.
    In the game, players take on the personae of children, aged 6 to 12, who are being hunted by the minions of a place called Closetland. Closetland is ruled by the Demagogue and his Seven Kings.[1] Each King is the personification of one of the seven deadly sins. The most well-known of the Kings is the Bogeyman, King of Greed. Other creatures include the Closet Monster, the Monster Under The Bed, werewolves, vampires, and much more. ...

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Little Fears in these threads.]

It is real neat game, but the subject is little touchy, especially if you are old enough to have have childrens. World of Darkness: Innocents (which is actually stand-alone game) is also pretty good horror game about children, but it isn't that easy to run either. And it is in many ways even more fucked up than Little Fears.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    tinwatchmantinwatchman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm a massive fan of the Alternity system published by TSR shortly before Wizards of the Coast bought them out. It uses a sort of proto-d20 System that I personally find works better in a modern/future/non-fantasy context. In addition, one of the best campaign settings I've ever read was published for that system - Dark*Matter, a brilliant X-Files/Delta Green kind of game that really brings a whole lot of stuff to the table. I'd highly recommend checking into both.

tinwatchman on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd highly recommend checking into both.

What a coincidence, considering that I just yesterday ordered Dark Matter Campaign Setting, Millenium's End GM Companion, Ultramodern Firearms and GURPS Cops from Nobleknight Games. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    Little Fears in these threads.]

It is real neat game, but the subject is little touchy, especially if you are old enough to have have childrens. World of Darkness: Innocents (which is actually stand-alone game) is also pretty good horror game about children, but it isn't that easy to run either. And it is in many ways even more fucked up than Little Fears.

I don't doubt that you're right -- it really could be touchy. I suppose if I were playing it, I would try to steer away from anything that'd be outright offensive (I don't want to deal with creepy adults hurting kids IRL or in my games), but I like the idea of a game based on kids being awesome and fighting make-believe monsters.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm glad to see ConX was one of the first posts, it's probably my very favorite tabletop game ever. I have zero experience with 2.0, all of mine comes from the original edition. The first game I ran was an absolute blast to run, my group was as perfect a group as one could ask for, and were all as enthusiastic for it as I was, with varying motivations for being so; I got two of my friends (females, who had never played any kind of tabletop RPG ever, even!) into it because they were into X-Files and into doing 'something nerdy', another because he also wanted to see what tabletop was like, and the other because no one was playing DnD at the time that he knew. They all learned pretty quickly that it was not Dungeons and Dragons and that they could very well die if they weren't careful. Oh, the stories I could tell from the relatively few sessions we had. They were the best.

Also glad to see Teenagers from Outer Space, I hadn't heard that one in a loooong time, not since before my Uncle who owned a general purpose comic book/tabletop rpg/wargame/TCG shop closed his doors back in '01. I used to spend hours at his place reading through all kinds of shit, both comic books and rpg rulebooks, and that's one that immediately brought back some memories. Never did play it but enjoyed the hell out of reading the book, though.

Edit: Also, oh my god, Talsorian's site has managed to get fuglier in the last half-decade or so. I didn't think that was possible!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If Little Fears is the one I am thinking of, I played it with Wick (the creator) GMing. There is a reason it's such a dark game, it's because he has a good grasp of what makes the genre dark.

A question if I may. I'm trying to recall the name of a WWII supers game. Don't have much more to go on than that, except the blurb begins with something about the first ubermensch (german super) flying in to the olympics to declare Germany superiority.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    A question if I may. I'm trying to recall the name of a WWII supers game. Don't have much more to go on than that, except the blurb begins with something about the first ubermensch (german super) flying in to the olympics to declare Germany superiority.

Godlike?

Godlike_rpg_cover.jpg

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Godlike?

Godlike_rpg_cover.jpg

That'd be the one, thank you. Is it any good?

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Haven't played it, but it is pretty interesting and well written take on superhero genre. Basically it is World War II where some people have incredible powers. Outcome is same as before (allies win), but there is lots of new pulpy stuff going on the background thanks to talents (term for superbeing in Godlike). Being talent isn't actually that great, because you are recruited to army, and given most insane and dangerous missions possible. Not to mention that you aren't bulletproof at all, and you are always sniper's first target.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the mechanics of how the supernatural work in that description of Conspiracty X2.0

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know if it's quite obscure enough to count as "overlooked" but white wolf's Aberrant was seriously the greatest superhero game nobody played.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I had no idea WW did a superhero game so I guess it qualifies.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's excellent. Hugely powerful characters, but with fairly well balanced powers between archetypes. Great stock storyline and world that can serve any tone you want to run, from four-color to grittier stuf. Slight refinements on the WW 3rd edition Revised system that make it more tactical and fun to handle the increased likelihood of fighting. Every superpower you could ever want (gravity control and power over the strong and weak molecular bond are two of the more exotic ones) cool symbiotic super-suits...it's just really good.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Would it be bad for me to mention Fading Suns?

I first discovered Fading Suns by playing the Emperor of the Fading Suns computer game (a game that, by the way, is actually pretty good, if you get the right fan patches to rebalance it a little).

It's a highly political game set in a far future. Basically humanity has finally united under a single Emperor, who ruled everyone... except for the tiny problem that upon the date of his coronation he was assassinated, and nobody knows by who... and frankly, anyone or everyone could'/ve been in on it. You've got five major noble houses, two alien races (one a race of murderous Symbiotes, one who I know nothing about), the Church (with Inquisition, natch...), and the League (an economic powerhouse that seeks to build up its political and economic power and then leverage that into military power, if i recall correctly, and take over).

I, personally, think the setting is awesome. INNS, if you're reading this, you'd love it, I think.

I can't speak to the mechanics of the system, but I've never heard complaints from my friends who've played it... then again, they don't complain about mechanics very often, so...

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Loved the setting but only played the pc game. It felt like what the Dune universe was like away from the Arrakis dramas.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is Nobilis overlooked? I can't find a link to anyone still publishing it, so you'll have to settle for wikipedia.

It was a fantastic RPG where each player was essentially the personification of some concept, from Pillows to Hate. Their main goal was to protect their concept from pretty much being eaten by evil guys from beyond creation. The setting had a lot in common with fantasy like Sandman. It was diceless, too, with the players' actions generally succeeding unless opposed by another god, since their skill level is far above anything humans can do.

It's nifty, and it's a big departure from the super-mechanical, low-power, D&D.

edit: Oh, apparantly Eos is picking it up. You can see their pre-page here.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Not at all. Does better Dune than Dune RPG. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    edit: Oh, apparantly Eos is picking it up. You can see their pre-page here.

Yay, EOS Press. We will probably see book in six years, if even then. :P

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about Kult? That any good?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Godlike?
    Setting wise, it's great. Mechanically, it's a bit unweildy. I prefered Aberrant mechanically, but it also became a dicefest. I've never seen a "clean" superhero game when it came to mechanics.

GungHo on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Human Occupied Landfill was pretty awesome. I had the first print, I think - great fun to read.

Also, Amber, the Diceless RPG had some revolutionary ideas.

Oh, and TORG had some great stuff about cinematic fights - i.e. when people swing on chandeliers, give them +4 to hit because it's cool rather than -4 because it's hard.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Oh, and TORG had some great stuff about cinematic fights - i.e. when people swing on chandeliers, give them +4 to hit because it's cool rather than -4 because it's hard.

Torg had cool setting, but I was never able to play game. Mechanics felt pretty "ho-hum", with few neat ideas, and lots of poor or average ideas.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Dragon Warriors. It came in novel-sized book format, was simpler than most, but was actually pretty fun, and a great introduction for RPG novices. Some of the campaign/scenario stuff was quite fun as well, and wouldn't take much to steal and convert to D&D or whatever.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MahobinMahobin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about WotC's own Everway? Now by Gaslight.

Looking through my bookcase o' games, I see Nobilis, Nephilim, Fading Suns, Aeon (Plastic covered ringbound edition, now called Trinity), WotC's edition of Talislanta, Toon, Killer...

Damn, some of this stuff is old now.

I don't have Torg anymore, but I still have the swirly blue/red d20 that came with it.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Oooh. Looks a little like that Demon game White Wolf brought out, 'cept more arty.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oooh. Looks a little like that Demon game White Wolf brought out, 'cept more arty.

It's lovely and fucked up game. System isn't that great, but it is easy to change with your own system. Unfortunately, finding the rulebook can be bitch, and except to pay big sums for it (60 dollars or more). First edition is actually easier to find, tho.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone played Tribe 8?

Carol of the All Games Considered podcast did a lengthy review of it and it sounded really awesome, but I've not gotten around to picking up any of the books or reading the trial game .pdf. So I was wondering how it is. Post-Apoc is a setting I've always dreamed of playing in, but there are woefully few games in that setting.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone played Tribe 8?

I have read the 1st edition books, but not actually played the game. What I can say.... interesting setting, but how it was presented in sourcebooks left me cold (i.e. too much poorly written fiction with font that is hard to read). I didn't like metaplot aspect at all, especially as in this case it ruined / turned setting into something completely different by end of the 1st edition.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    I've never seen a "clean" superhero game when it came to mechanics.

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition is pretty clean and coherent so far as superhero games go. Although I think that some archetypes are too feat focused.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    I've never seen a "clean" superhero game when it came to mechanics.
    Supercrew is an actual, honest-to-god ruleslite superhero RPG. And it's IMO overlooked, so it's just right for this thread. :)

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's lovely and fucked up game. System isn't that great, but it is easy to change with your own system. Unfortunately, finding the rulebook can be bitch, and except to pay big sums for it (60 dollars or more). First edition is actually easier to find, tho.

Combat system is pretty weak and unforgiven. Big bonus for characters that go mental in a belivable way, with a good GM it almost seems like the only natural way to go.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Feng Shui: some of the best role-playing fun I have had.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    MahobinMahobin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, I loved feng shui's cinematic combat system. Actually, it seems that 4E has a lot of that feel, minus the 'give them bonuses for being kickass' rule. Which you can do anyhow.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kobolds Ate My Baby: always wanted to try this one. Essentially you play a kobold sent out by a hungry King Torg ALL HAIL KING TORG! to gather up his favorite food: babies. If you fail, then King Torg ALL HAIL KING TORG! eats you instead. Highlights include Kobold Horrible Deaths™, epic battles with chickens, and worship of Vor, the Big Red Angry God™.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23