As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want an I-Phone!

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Yeah..I been snared by the hype of the upcoming version of the I Phone. Enough that I'm considering dropping T-mobile and signing up with ATT. What I'm wanting to find out is your experiences with the I Phone, ATT, and the different plans available that you would recommend.

A bit about my current plan. I'm in Dallas if that matters.

I pay roughtly 60 dollars a month, for unlimited text, mobile to mobile, and 400 minutes. The most important thing for me if I was to switch is finding out how much a text plan is, and of course, what else I would need to pay for in order to get the most out of my i phone.

noir_blood on

Posts

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have ATT in Tampa

    I get basically what you have, 400 minutes, unlimited text, mobile to mobile

    It comes up to about 67 dollars with tax, that's with no data plan or anything.

    The iPhone 3g has a data plan that is 30 bucks, and I don't know how it overlaps with the texting (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    The service is good, I've never had problems with it. In 13 months I've had maybe one dropped call. Pretty much constantly at full bars in this part of the country.

    As far as the iPhone itself, I know two people with them and they both love them. Apparently its even nicer if you have a Mac since it integrates with some Mac software.

    I've used the Google Maps, and it's pretty nice and easy to use, even on the 2G speeds its tolerable, so 3G should be great.

    It's got all sorts of neat tools and widgets on it that simply blow the doors off your standard phone.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    I don't know about the iPhone, but in my area ATT is pretty decent. The plan I have is unlimited mobile-to-mobile as well, and since that's the bulk of the calling I do, I never run out. I don't even remember how many minutes I have access to, because I never go over. I don't have the text plan ($10-15 extra), but the rest of it is $39.99/mo. After taxes and fees and all that good stuff they never mention when you sign up, my bill is about $50 when all is said and done.

    I don't know about your area.. I think it's different from company to company and area to area, so that might be worth looking into for you. I also heard somewhere that pretty soon you were going to be able to get an iPhone no matter what company you have a plan with, but I'm not sure that's true.

    ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Yeah..I been snared by the hype of the upcoming version of the I Phone. Enough that I'm considering dropping T-mobile and signing up with ATT. What I'm wanting to find out is your experiences with the I Phone, ATT, and the different plans available that you would recommend.

    A bit about my current plan. I'm in Dallas if that matters.

    I pay roughtly 60 dollars a month, for unlimited text, mobile to mobile, and 400 minutes. The most important thing for me if I was to switch is finding out how much a text plan is, and of course, what else I would need to pay for in order to get the most out of my i phone.

    With no texts you'll be saying (before tax) $69.99/month. That includes free mobile to mobile, 450 anytime minutes, and 5,000 night and weekend minutes. It also includes unlimited data (at the improved 3G speeds). 200 texts is $5, 1,500 texts is $15, and unlimited texts is $20.

    Ergo, for the voice plan, the unlimited data, and the unlimited texts (textual or media) you're looking at $89.99 before taxes and fees. Probably somewhere between $100 and $105 per month, all told.

    Organichu on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.

    Organichu on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.


    Ahh you are correct, it's "MSG200$4.99+M2M$5" that's 9.99

    So 200 texts.

    I'm hard pressed to use 50 so that's just me.

    They have 1500 texts for 15 dollars.

    If you can use more than 1500 in a month... damn.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I currently pay an extra 10 dollars for 1000 texts. My current plan is 450 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited internet. Altogether that is 70 bucks, and I'll be looking at 80 once I upgrade my phone.

    Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.


    Ahh you are correct, it's "MSG200$4.99+M2M$5" that's 9.99

    So 200 texts.

    I'm hard pressed to use 50 so that's just me.

    They have 1500 texts for 15 dollars.

    If you can use more than 1500 in a month... damn.

    I personally don't but with the advent of full QWERTY smartphones and the ability to slide your phone shut/engage another menu while the text is sending... I know people who use a couple hundred a day.

    Organichu on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.
    Yes, it is. I know quite a few people with the unlimited text/MMS for $10. When I first saw my phone, the data plan was $39 a month with 1500 texts included. The day I ordered it was the day they switched to $30 data with no texts. Less than a month later, they went 200->1500->unlimited.

    Raggaholic on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.


    Ahh you are correct, it's "MSG200$4.99+M2M$5" that's 9.99

    So 200 texts.

    I'm hard pressed to use 50 so that's just me.

    They have 1500 texts for 15 dollars.

    If you can use more than 1500 in a month... damn.

    I personally don't but with the advent of full QWERTY smartphones and the ability to slide your phone shut/engage another menu while the text is sending... I know people who use a couple hundred a day.

    Well on the iPhone you can use AIM and Gchat can't you?

    I think those would be good free alternatives.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    (unlimited texting on ATT = 10 dollars).

    Is this a grandfather'd plan? I'm pretty sure unlimited texting is $20 right now.


    Ahh you are correct, it's "MSG200$4.99+M2M$5" that's 9.99

    So 200 texts.

    I'm hard pressed to use 50 so that's just me.

    They have 1500 texts for 15 dollars.

    If you can use more than 1500 in a month... damn.

    I personally don't but with the advent of full QWERTY smartphones and the ability to slide your phone shut/engage another menu while the text is sending... I know people who use a couple hundred a day.

    Well on the iPhone you can use AIM and Gchat can't you?

    I think those would be good free alternatives.

    Not natively, no, but third party alternatives have been offered.

    Organichu on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have an iphone with 400 mins 1500 texts and the data plan. Its about 90$ a month

    I love my iphone. I love it i love it I love it.

    Limp moose on
  • Options
    PopsPops __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Absolutely get the iPhone and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Not that they can. Now the the phone is a mere $200 for the entry model there is absolutely no excuse. Built in GPS, fast as hell speeds, and the App store wherever you go? iPhone will be far and away the winner. It's not just a little phone, it's a computer in the palm of your hand.

    Pops on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Well on the iPhone you can use AIM and Gchat can't you?
    Using AIM on any PocketPC (I guess the iPhone would be one, too) will be using your text messages. I don't know about Gchat. I use IM+ which does it all over my data connection.

    Raggaholic on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Well on the iPhone you can use AIM and Gchat can't you?
    Using AIM on any PocketPC (I guess the iPhone would be one, too) will be using your text messages. I don't know about Gchat. I use IM+ which does it all over my data connection.

    What? No, AIM etc would use your data plan, unless they were specifically designed to use your text. Its just like emails don't eat up your texts because they are data.

    Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the SMS app on the iPhone looks like an instant messaging chat program - it's really a massive improvement over conventional SMS browsing, because it creates a little two way conversation history for each contact you exchange texts with, and you can see all their texts and your responses on one screen in chronological order - but each message you send is a text message.

    Conversely, if you had a true instant messaging program on the iPhone (you can put them on if it's jailborked) then it would be using the 'internet connection' so would contribute to data rate. Makes it tempting to jailbreak if you've got an unlimited data plan (as all the UK 02 contracts are).

    Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    What? No, AIM etc would use your data plan, unless they were specifically designed to use your text. Its just like emails don't eat up your texts because they are data.
    Nope, the AIM client uses your text messages. AT&T has the phones configured that way. I even called them and they verified it once I got my tilt. So does Yahoo Messenger. So does MSN Messenger.

    The email is a totally different beast.

    Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Till they have apps in the appstore, meebo or jivetalk work well, I used them on my friends not jailbroken phone for IM chatting, they have special iPhone designed webapps

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pops wrote: »
    Absolutely get the iPhone and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Not that they can. Now the the phone is a mere $200 for the entry model there is absolutely no excuse. Built in GPS, fast as hell speeds, and the App store wherever you go? iPhone will be far and away the winner. It's not just a little phone, it's a computer in the palm of your hand.

    There are plenty of phones that can do all that and more for that same price and cheaper. The iPhone isn't the only option for people looking for a computer that fits in their pocket.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pops wrote: »
    Absolutely get the iPhone and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Not that they can. Now the the phone is a mere $200 for the entry model there is absolutely no excuse. Built in GPS, fast as hell speeds, and the App store wherever you go? iPhone will be far and away the winner. It's not just a little phone, it's a computer in the palm of your hand.

    There are plenty of phones that can do all that and more for that same price and cheaper. The iPhone isn't the only option for people looking for a computer that fits in their pocket.

    However it is the best.

    Shogun on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shogun wrote: »
    Pops wrote: »
    Absolutely get the iPhone and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Not that they can. Now the the phone is a mere $200 for the entry model there is absolutely no excuse. Built in GPS, fast as hell speeds, and the App store wherever you go? iPhone will be far and away the winner. It's not just a little phone, it's a computer in the palm of your hand.

    There are plenty of phones that can do all that and more for that same price and cheaper. The iPhone isn't the only option for people looking for a computer that fits in their pocket.

    However it is the best.

    Wow, that's a whole lot of opinion! While I will concede that the iPhone is an excellent device, it has problems just like any other device. It's definitely "one of the best", but I will never crown it king. (Nor would I crown any other device king).
    For example, I far prefer my Nokia N95-4 for several reasons - 5 Megapixel camera (to the iPhone's 2MP), Turn-by-turn driving directions built in, expanded accelerometer use (My phone is also a pedometer!), share to web (video and photos, directly to well-established and used sites like Flickr (rather than the new site set up by Apple recently))

    Would I take an iPhone if someone handed me one? Of course! It's a very nice device. And I own a couple of iPods and a Mac Powerbook, so it's not like I hate Apple.

    embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

    I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm on AT&T in PA and I'm on unlimited data/sms. I talked to AT&T about using YM/AIM and I was told that it uses both data and sms charges. While i have unlimited of both, i think it's kind of crappy and stick to just text messages. I'm on twitter and text with about 6 different people on a daily basis so I can go over 1000 texts in a month easily.

    UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    What? No, AIM etc would use your data plan, unless they were specifically designed to use your text. Its just like emails don't eat up your texts because they are data.
    Nope, the AIM client uses your text messages. AT&T has the phones configured that way. I even called them and they verified it once I got my tilt. So does Yahoo Messenger. So does MSN Messenger.

    The email is a totally different beast.
    As long as you are accessing AIM via the pre-installed IM client on an at&t/Cingular branded device, you should not be charged for anything more than an SMS charge for your IM activity (chargeable for each message sent and received, either under a package allotment or at the current "pay per use" SMS rate of $0.20/message).

    Yeah but thats not what people tend to mean when they say AIM. They mean the version like on the computer. Also people with jailbroken iPhones were able to install clients on there that used the data. I honestly don't see it taking too long for people in the 2.0 software to come out with a universal client that uses the data for AIM/YIM/MSN/WTFBBQ.

    Also, the cheapest smartphones outside of the new iPhone available through AT&T (before mail in rebates) is $149.99. Its an older model of Blackberry, its fat, its ugly, and its well, lets be honest, its a Blackberry...

    Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm hoping that this is just a relic of when unlimited data plans were rare but text messaging was common, because that really sucks to have an unlimited data plan but not be able to use IMs without also springing for unlimited text messaging (I could easily blow through 250 im's in a couple days, but otherwise I don't use text messaging at all)... I was really thinking of picking one up, but maybe I'll have to wait and see

    Gdiguy on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had no idea about the text messaging=IM programs. Wow that's lame.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I currently pay an extra 10 dollars for 1000 texts. My current plan is 450 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited internet. Altogether that is 70 bucks, and I'll be looking at 80 once I upgrade my phone.

    Is AT&T quoting you that as an existing customer? This link breaks down the entry-level plans, and although iPhone 3G is $200 less, to get equivalent service to original iPhone (450 min, unltd data, 200 txts) the pre-tax monthly goes up from $59 to $74, which more than covers the initial discount. Also iPhone 3G will require in-store activation, so you will be under the terms of contract that has an ETF (for those who are interested in using it on another carrier).

    Djeet on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I currently pay an extra 10 dollars for 1000 texts. My current plan is 450 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited internet. Altogether that is 70 bucks, and I'll be looking at 80 once I upgrade my phone.

    Is AT&T quoting you that as an existing customer? This link breaks down the entry-level plans, and although iPhone 3G is $200 less, to get equivalent service to original iPhone (450 min, unltd data, 200 txts) the pre-tax monthly goes up from $59 to $74, which more than covers the initial discount. Also iPhone 3G will require in-store activation, so you will be under the terms of contract that has an ETF (for those who are interested in using it on another carrier).

    Not to be a nuthanger for AT&T, but let's not forget that you're getting a better phone (including 3G data speeds). $15 more per month x 24 months = 360 dollars. You're 'losing' 160 dollars (assuming you jump from and to the 'best' model) net over two years, but you're getting the features of the new phone.

    Organichu on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    Yeah but thats not what people tend to mean when they say AIM. They mean the version like on the computer.
    Um... I may be reading you wrong, but the version like on the computer would be an installed AIM client. That's exactly what you have with the phones. What you're talking about is something like AIM Express, if that's still around (haven't used pure AIM in years).
    Wulf wrote: »
    Also, the cheapest smartphones outside of the new iPhone available through AT&T (before mail in rebates) is $149.99. Its an older model of Blackberry, its fat, its ugly, and its well, lets be honest, its a Blackberry...
    What's wrong with a Blackberry? o_O Also, I got my Tilt from AT&T in January and it was $149.99 ($99 after rebates).

    Raggaholic on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Yeah but thats not what people tend to mean when they say AIM. They mean the version like on the computer.
    Um... I may be reading you wrong, but the version like on the computer would be an installed AIM client. That's exactly what you have with the phones. What you're talking about is something like AIM Express, if that's still around (haven't used pure AIM in years).

    I think you're agreeing - his point is that while with phones like the iphone you'd think it would just be like installing an AIM client and sending data, but in fact it's just a different interface to send text messages, which sucks (and sucks especially much when you're already paying for unlimited data)

    Gdiguy on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Yeah but thats not what people tend to mean when they say AIM. They mean the version like on the computer.
    Um... I may be reading you wrong, but the version like on the computer would be an installed AIM client. That's exactly what you have with the phones. What you're talking about is something like AIM Express, if that's still around (haven't used pure AIM in years).
    Wulf wrote: »
    Also, the cheapest smartphones outside of the new iPhone available through AT&T (before mail in rebates) is $149.99. Its an older model of Blackberry, its fat, its ugly, and its well, lets be honest, its a Blackberry...
    What's wrong with a Blackberry? o_O Also, I got my Tilt from AT&T in January and it was $149.99 ($99 after rebates).

    How well does the Blackberry sync with Mac programs like iCal and the address book? My husband has excessive amounts of color-coded calendars and it didn't look like the Blackberry would be able to translate that well.

    Also, the Blackberry web browser is not as good, from what I saw. You only get to see the top corner of the webpage and you have to scroll around and stuff. Is that true or is it just advertising?

    Quoth on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I currently pay an extra 10 dollars for 1000 texts. My current plan is 450 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited internet. Altogether that is 70 bucks, and I'll be looking at 80 once I upgrade my phone.

    Is AT&T quoting you that as an existing customer? This link breaks down the entry-level plans, and although iPhone 3G is $200 less, to get equivalent service to original iPhone (450 min, unltd data, 200 txts) the pre-tax monthly goes up from $59 to $74, which more than covers the initial discount. Also iPhone 3G will require in-store activation, so you will be under the terms of contract that has an ETF (for those who are interested in using it on another carrier).

    Not to be a nuthanger for AT&T, but let's not forget that you're getting a better phone (including 3G data speeds). $15 more per month x 24 months = 360 dollars. You're 'losing' 160 dollars (assuming you jump from and to the 'best' model) net over two years, but you're getting the features of the new phone.

    I'm picking nits, but $260 net of 24 months (assuming you paid $399 for the Orig. iPhone like I did, and $299 is the price point for the 16GB iPhone 3G). I thought the in-store activation part would be of more interest to thread-readers.

    The GPS is nice, but my usage model won't net me any benefit (I'm not a hiker/biker, I'm know my way around the city so Google Maps is real nice, but I usually already know where I am). The triangulate function available on the 2G iPhone is mainly a "that's neat" thing and usually gets owned on resolution compared to devices that have GPS (but this varies with location, the reticle has a 500-600 yard diameter at my workplace, but a 50 yard diameter at my home). Does anyone know if it'll maybe Safari will have Flash support on iPhone 3G? I might upgrade if that were happening.

    Djeet on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Yeah but thats not what people tend to mean when they say AIM. They mean the version like on the computer.
    Um... I may be reading you wrong, but the version like on the computer would be an installed AIM client. That's exactly what you have with the phones. What you're talking about is something like AIM Express, if that's still around (haven't used pure AIM in years).
    Wulf wrote: »
    Also, the cheapest smartphones outside of the new iPhone available through AT&T (before mail in rebates) is $149.99. Its an older model of Blackberry, its fat, its ugly, and its well, lets be honest, its a Blackberry...
    What's wrong with a Blackberry? o_O Also, I got my Tilt from AT&T in January and it was $149.99 ($99 after rebates).

    How well does the Blackberry sync with Mac programs like iCal and the address book? My husband has excessive amounts of color-coded calendars and it didn't look like the Blackberry would be able to translate that well.

    Also, the Blackberry web browser is not as good, from what I saw. You only get to see the top corner of the webpage and you have to scroll around and stuff. Is that true or is it just advertising?
    Blackberries and iCal don't play too nice last I heard, and I could never go back to using 'cellphone' webpages ever again. (That and I hate how a business tool got turned into a synonym for smartphone. Thats my beef with Blackberry, as outrageous as it may be :P) Hell, my company almost went with Blackberry, and I got them to hold on a few months because I had heard rumbles of Apple designing a portable device, which was a much better fit for us since we are exclusively Macintosh here.

    Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    How well does the Blackberry sync with Mac programs like iCal and the address book? My husband has excessive amounts of color-coded calendars and it didn't look like the Blackberry would be able to translate that well.
    No clue. I do all of my calandering with Outlook.
    Also, the Blackberry web browser is not as good, from what I saw. You only get to see the top corner of the webpage and you have to scroll around and stuff. Is that true or is it just advertising?
    I'm pretty sure you can use Opera Mobile, which isn't that bad. I'm on a WM phone, and I have to admit, IE isn't that bad either to me. I do like how the iPhone will show what portion you're looking at of the page and the double click - shrink.

    Raggaholic on
Sign In or Register to comment.