As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bluray playback problem...

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I bought the Bucket List today with the intention of sitting down and watching the movie with the wife today, so we watch through an hour at at the part where Freeman that's talking to the british black girl in Hong Kong the movie starts to get REALLY choppy, so bad infact that it's not watchable anymore...

Using PowerDVD 7.3, and I just tried WinDVD 9 Plus BluRay, they both do the same thing at the exact same point... the big difference being that WinDVD 9 handled it better, but also gave me a jumping black bar at the bottom of the screen, everything beneath the bar was jumping slightly faster than the top part....

Now, my HTPC has 4GB of RAM, a Core 2 Quad Q6700 and a Radeon HD2600XT, I'm fairly confident it's not a hardware problem... All of my other BluRays all still work fine, it's just strictly with the Bucket List... I'm having flash backs to when I bought Resident Evil Extinction and it did the same thing, but in that case it was the entire movie, not the last 30 minutes...

I DID try upadting my video drivers, which did not resolve the issue, in fact it kinda made things worse by reducing the overall image on my screen, so I've rolled the drivers back...

Is it possible I need a software update which has not yet been released, or is it more likely that the disc is bad?

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did you clean the disk? I know it's new, but it may have dust or a paper flake or something on it at that point.

I've had 3 problems with blu-ray discs so far, 2 from netflix and 1 brand new. The video was skipping and just being weird, so we took the disc out and cleaned it, and it played fine. Sure, they've got a scratch-proof layer, but they can still get stuff on them. Just give the surface a light brush with a t-shirt or microfiber cloth, and see if that fixes it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks like the disc itself was defective... I took it back to work and exchange it for another.... Not a comforting experience, and it's made m rethink a couple other BluRays that I own...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295