As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] Auld Lang Syne

CantideCantide Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
"Hello and... congratulations! You have been chosen to take part in the Grand Melee, an ongoing event featuring players from all over the world. This incredible, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will test your skills in a chance to win BIG MONEY, BIG PRIZES. The rules of the game are simple: survive and kill. Due to the hazardous nature of the Melee, your participation is of course completely voluntary, but you should be advised that noncompliance will result in the mandatory forfeiture of your life."

"As soon as this recording has finished, you will be transported to the battleground free of charge. For your own safety, please remember that escape from the battleground is impossible, and any attempts will be punished harshly. Good luck!"

This thread is for a maptool/chat campaign that will play on Monday nights, 7-11 Eastern. I'm trying out a homebrew module that I'm expecting will last for a few weeks, but I'm a poor judge when it comes to that sort of thing. If we can get a full roster in time, the first game will be on the 16th. D&D rookies and veterans alike are welcome to join.

Current Player List:

dscrilla - Warlock
iKant
Rurouni12065
T3K
Talonious Monk - Wizard
TheLawinator
Zen Vulgarity

Cantide on

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So basically an arena game kinda of focusing on combat? I'm a bit interested but not sure yet. I'd have to learn... how to play first.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The timing of this makes me sad. Want to play, but have to work.

Goose! on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So basically an arena game kinda of focusing on combat? I'm a bit interested but not sure yet. I'd have to learn... how to play first.

It's more of a free-for-all than an arena game. Think Battle Royale, but with teams. I don't think any of us have actually played any 4e yet, so we're all still learning how.

Cantide on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    this sounds great.. but monday nights are my poker night, so unfortunately i can't get in on it. well, maybe i could if i left for poker by 10 (we generally start kinda late 9-10pm est)

krylon666 on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I mean DnD at all. Sign me up... I'll see what I can do.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • iKantiKant Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am down, what maptool / chat are we going to use? (i have 0 exp with any tools so link me up if you can)

When should we have characters ready by?

iKant on
    edited June 2008
    I think we're going to go with MapTool and Skype. If everyone can figure out what race/class they're playing, we can test out the software and finalize the character sheets on Monday night before beginning the game proper.

Cantide on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would be interested in a Monday night thing.

If we can play evil/insane characters then its probably my only shot at playing this warlock

EDIT: Battle Royale rocks, can we get death collars?

EDIT his background.
    Nudar the Mighty LVL 1 Dragonborn Warlock.
    A tall and rail thin Dragonborn with a noticeable stoop. His scales are dark bronze with a rustlike greenish tint at the edges. He has sharp features with extended frills, his eyes are very pale bronze. He has a scorched, half melted gold crown on his head. Otherwise he is unadorned, save for intricate spirals he has painted on his skin with a phosphorescent blue substance.

When speaking, Nudar changes pace and volume at random. He will not make eye contact. You get the strong impression that Nudar is a really great guy. You trust him and should take the time to become friends.

Abandoned as an egg, Nudar grew up in total isolation. He was left in a cyclopean temple deep in the underdark. The hatchling was taught to survive by voices from the far realm. He survived as a hunter gatherer on the aberrant fauna of The Deep. The Elder Things raised him, whispering of the secret true nature of the world. These secrets gave Nudar the power to stay hidden until the stars where right. He now has come to the surface to witness the last days of humanity and their kin. He has had no contact with creatures from our reality until a few weeks ago.

dscrilla on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Monday works for me. I'll take Wizard. Second choice is fighter. I'll have the charecter sheet done tonight.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    I would be interested in a Monday night thing.

If we can play evil/insane characters then its probably my only shot at playing this warlock

EDIT: Battle Royale rocks, can we get death collars?

No collars, but I have no problem with evil characters as long as they're not of the "I want to kill the other PCs for kicks" variety that try to spoil everyone else's fun. If Nudar can get along with the rest of the party, go right ahead.

Cantide on
    edited June 2008
    Nudar is a team player. He will focus his unreasoning rage at our opponents. He would never* betray his own.

He would consider it if the contest gives BIG MONEY-BIIIG PRIZES!!! for slaughtering your own team at the end. Thats the DM's call

dscrilla on
    edited June 2008
    2 people I know from outside the tubes are going to be joining in, which brings us to a full group of 6 people, and allows us to have our first session this Monday. Start thinking about what race and class you'd like to play, if you haven't already. Don't worry about picking a role that the party "needs"; 6 people gives us a bit of leeway, so just play whatever you want.

Cantide on
  • Rurouni12065Rurouni12065 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be interested. I can make myself available. Should be fun.

Rurouni12065 on
    edited June 2008
    Cantide,
    What version of maptools should we have for Monday? Do you want us to do backgrounds or anything?

dscrilla on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok seeing as we have plenty of folks. I'll be going artillery. Eldarin Mage. Sorry character isnt up yet. Been busy with other shit. I'll have it up by tomorrow night.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    Cantide,
    What version of maptools should we have for Monday? Do you want us to do backgrounds or anything?

Maptool v1.2 seems like the best version to use. You're welcome to come up with background info for your character, but I'll let you know now that I'm going to be playing the amnesia card at the start. Your backstory will still have happened, your character just won't remember it.

Cantide on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i keep seeing people talking about using the 1.3 build, so maybe its stable enough and nicer? but i can't speak from experience here.. so yeah, do what you like! :)

krylon666 on
    edited June 2008
    I've got the 1.3 build. It's not on the main maptool link it's off to the side under "Development" It seems quite nice. I've got macros galore set up already.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Ive got both. 1.3 is better, especially if your a macro fiend like me who wants to include mod variables.

dscrilla on
    edited June 2008
    Meh

There's my little howitzer. Still some details to fill in but the basics are there.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2008
    If you guys want to use 1.3, that's fine. We'll go with that.

Cantide on
    edited June 2008
    Here is the Back story for Nudar, his amnesia is a lucky break.
    A tall and rail thin Dragonborn with a noticeable stoop. His scales are dark bronze with a rustlike greenish tint at the edges. He has sharp features with extended frills, his eyes are very pale bronze. He has a scorched, half melted gold crown on his head. Otherwise he is unadorned, save for intricate spirals he has painted on his skin with a phosphorescent blue substance.

When speaking, Nudar changes pace and volume at random. He will not make eye contact. You get the strong impression that Nudar is a really great guy. You trust him and should take the time to become friends.

Abandoned as an egg, Nudar grew up in total isolation. He was left in a cyclopean temple deep in the underdark. The hatchling was taught to survive by voices from the far realm. He survived as a hunter gatherer on the aberrant fauna of The Deep. The Elder Things raised him, whispering of the secret true nature of the world. These secrets gave Nudar the power to survive and stay hidden until the stars where right. He now has come to the surface to witness the last days of humanity and their kin. He has had no contact with creatures from our reality until a few weeks ago.

dscrilla on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy crap that's a lot of people.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    nearly go time, everyone E?

dscrilla on
    edited June 2008
    Holy crap that's a lot of people.

I figure half of us will show.

Also. I just now got home but I'll be available in about 10 mins to help people set up macros if it's needed. Played a game last night with some folks from SE++ and it kicked ass. Macros are a godsend. They make the game loads easier.

I'm dling Skype right now. I'll update with username etc in a moment.

Or just pm me and I'll run you through macros.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Oh. One other thing. When you connect to maptools. Make your username your character name. Otherwise it's fuck all confusing.

In other news. Skype hates me. I'm trying to sweet talk it but if that fails do we have a backup. Vent perhaps?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I won't be using vent since I'm on 56k and I don't want to hear stutters every five minutes.

However, I'm finishing up my character sheet now. I was going to work on it earlier but I fell asleep for three hours. Whoops.

Info up yet for Tools?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    Maptools server info:

Port 51234

You shouldn't a password or anything.

Cantide on
    edited June 2008
    You need a copy of my character?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    Ok cool I think I got skype working. Maybe.

Connecting to mpatools now.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Hnn.

I just stop at "connecting."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    in maptools or skype?

dscrilla on
    edited June 2008
    It might be getting blocked by your router or something. I switched my computer onto DMZ earlier, so it shouldn't be firewalling anything.

Cantide on
    edited June 2008
    Maptools.

This worked last night.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    1.3 what?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    1.3 b31

Cantide on
    edited June 2008
    Restart maptools and try again. Sometimes it gets picky about conecting on the first try.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I was using 1.2 last night. I think they share a library or something in their Java folder, because it ain't working.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2008
    oh noes, i had to reboot now the same is happening to me

dscrilla on
    edited June 2008
    Maybe it's a host problem?

Zen Vulgarity on