As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flame On!] Team Fortress 2: Try it for FREE! Info in the OP

• Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One desirable, but lonely sniper seeking relationship invite with Penny-Arcade TF2 steam group. Interests include invites, pink clouds of death, and water sports. Thank you!

Steam ID: [Unknown_Rebellion]

(if that doesn't work, try pyrosmurfs)

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hold on

What makes pyros effective against medics?

Based on my own experiences they (medics) can pretty much circle strafe around their healing targets, or run backwards shooting needles and hold on their own against pyros.

Logicow on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, not entirely impossible to be a spy. I mean, just choose to be disguised as a pyro and you'll have some semblance of a chance.

I just wish there weren't specific achievements for raping medics.

I think there's specific achievements for raping everyone. One of burning scoped snipers, rocket jumping soldiers, engineer buildings, heavies, I can't remember demo or pyro, but most of the classes get raped in achievements.

Edit: Hell, I think spies are the most raped in those new achievements.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Prediction: Everyone and their mother will be running around as a Pyro doing nothing but the Shotgun Taunt.

Houn on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spies get raped in both achievement lists.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, not entirely impossible to be a spy. I mean, just choose to be disguised as a pyro and you'll have some semblance of a chance.

I just did this on a pub and killed 5 pyros :lol:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Prediction: Everyone and their mother will be running around as a Pyro doing nothing but the Shotgun Taunt.

I still hope one day we have a round of just shotgun taunts and force pushes.

T'would be incredible.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sepah wrote: »
    So, is it really bad that I'm mostly excited for the Pyro update because it'll mean that spies will be so driven down in population that they'll be next to be updated? Cause I love my some spy updates.

I hope so, from their only two updates, I'm hoping this develops into a pattern. Medics pretty much counter pyros, screwing up their ability to deal DOT, and calming down the chaos by extinguishing flames. So hopefully, after this, spies will get their treatment, seeing as pyros definitely counter spies.

Then my favorite classes would have gotten their updates. Glee!

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Logicow wrote: »
    Hold on

What makes pyros effective against medics?

Based on my own experiences they (medics) can pretty much circle strafe around their healing targets, or run backwards shooting needles and hold on their own against pyros.

Normally, yeah, until the entire team is pyros.

Pyros are effective against medics simply because their flame chews through us, and yeah, normally it's pretty damn easy to avoid them, but even just looking at the number of people trying to get PRACTICE being a pyro before the update, it's been more difficult. It's only really easy to avoid one or two pyros. Wth this update they'll be a hell of a lot more.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spies were at an advantage when all the medics were around, I think.

But with the pyro update they'll have a hard time... Flames everywhere, and flare guns can light them on fire at longer ranges.

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Logicow wrote: »
    Spies were at an advantage when all the medics were around, I think.

But with the pyro update they'll have a hard time... Flames everywhere, and flare guns can light them on fire at longer ranges.

Maybe I'll try what Bullet said and just disguise as pyro. I'll consider it hardcore spy check evasion and maneuvering practice. If I can manage a game as spy during pyro weekend, then I'll consider myself a good spy.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My personal prediction for the next update is demo. My logic behind it is;
    They've done a support class
    They're about finish doing an offensive class.
    All that's left is defense, and I just can't imagine them doing engi or heavy right now.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm tempted to just whore a class with a good defense against pyros and snack on the inevitable horde of new players.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, as much as I believe I'm about to be raped as a medic, going medic will probably annoy most of the people rolling pyros. Nothing like going "HAHAHAHAH! I heal and deny you your achievements!"

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Damnit, I like playing pyro. Guess I'll be medic for a bit and hope I can get that über-pyro achievement.

Then I'll flame on again. I like how nearly everything is stuff you'd do while playing normally and not "axe 1500 level 3 sentries to death while ubered and having two snipers drawing a bead on you".

Echo on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, as much as I believe I'm about to be raped as a medic, going medic will probably ignore most of the people rolling pyros. Nothing like going "HAHAHAHAH! I heal and deny you your achievements!"

And if you get Dominated, just stick around anyways to deny them BBQQ.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I wish they would change the medic achievements a little bit. I really dislike having to go

"Alright! Heavy, I'm gonna uber you, but instead of being useful, I want you to punch two people to death"

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll jump on the pyro bandwagon and I'll use the flare gun exclusively and just light people on fire.

Consider this a class with 200hp (or is it 225) that walks fast and attacks from far away. It's the ultimate survivability class!

Logicow on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You only have to punch two people, not kill them for that.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All that's left is defense, and I just can't imagine them doing engi or heavy right now.

Actually, we already know that they have been working on the new engineer stuff.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Really? Because I assumed it was the like the uber a pyro and have him burn five people. It sounds like you just have to light him on fire, but I didn't get the achievement until I ubered Buhamut Zero and had him kill 5 people.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Damnit, I like playing pyro. Guess I'll be medic for a bit and hope I can get that über-pyro achievement.

Then I'll flame on again. I like how nearly everything is stuff you'd do while playing normally and not "axe 1500 level 3 sentries to death while ubered and having two snipers drawing a bead on you".

Heh, yeah.

Some still have to be set up though.

Lighting up a spy with a cigarette?
    Six axe kills in a single life?

Logicow on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there a full list of changes with the pyro patch somewhere? Other than that promotional thing that Valve put out.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Job_41:25 wrote: »

Actually, we already know that they have been working on the new engineer stuff.

Damn! Well, if they do spy afterwards, then it'll be my top four favorites at least. Also looking forward to engi stuff.

Wait, wtf, as if being a spy wasn't hard enough, they're going to buff up the engineers next? I guess we'll see.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Job_41:25 wrote: »

Damn! Well, if they do spy afterwards, then it'll be my top four favorites at least. Also looking forward to engi stuff.

Wait, wtf, as if being a spy wasn't hard enough, they're going to buff up the engineers next? I guess we'll see.

What did they say about engie?

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Didn't they mention something along the lines of upgradeable teleporters and dispensers?

Logicow on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There was an interview awhile back that mentioned it. I'll see if I can find it.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    some of the ideas they were floating around for the engineer were teleporters that had a 3 second cool down and dispensers that healed as fast as medics

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about Uber teleporters? Longer cooldown but you come out Uber as long as you would with a Medic with you.

But then again you would be lucky to keep it alive on the front lines.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wouldn't a team full of engineers be able to have a steady stream of uber engineers attacking?

Or, from a defense point of view: Hide a teleporter in your base, with the entrance right next to the exit.

When someone comes around, step in.

Logicow on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Playing Spy is going to get really hard, really quickly. The upgraded Pyro is gonna see a showing of at least 4 per team... which makes the life of a spy very difficult.

Sueve on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good points raised, but I am sure whatever they come up with will be fantastic.

*edit* Hmm, maybe a cloak on port? Same rules as spies ( damage = visible ) but it lasts a little longer. I'm just throwing ideas out is all.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    How about Uber teleporters? Longer cooldown but you come out Uber as long as you would with a Medic with you.

But then again you would be lucky to keep it alive on the front lines.

Sweet jesus, we cannot be stopped!
    Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have quoted you, I'm just commenting on the entire thread's need to know what happens next. We haven't even gotten the pyro update and we're already speculating what class is next and what he gets.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    Playing Spy is going to get really hard, really quickly. The upgraded Pyro is gonna see a showing of at least 4 per team... which makes the life of a spy very difficult.

Jakorian deserves it

MrDelish on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there a full list of changes with the pyro patch somewhere? Other than that promotional thing that Valve put out.

Update notes get put out when updates go live. Other than that, http://www.steampowered.com/pyro/ is the best collection of info on the Pyro update.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Sueve wrote: »

Jakorian deserves it

Yeah, there are only a few dedicated suit-wearers left. I've actually just started playing Pyro like a play Spy, and I've been getting a 2-1, and sometimes 3-1 K-D ratio, which is way better than when I play spy.

Sueve on
  • Options
    1up1up Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I'll stick to scout today when the pyro update hits. At least on open maps, scouts can take down pyro's pretty effectivly.

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Update notes get put out when updates go live. Other than that, http://www.steampowered.com/pyro/ is the best collection of info on the Pyro update.

Aww. Damn.

Mostly, I'm just wondering about that "reflecting a rocket" thing. I'm guessing that some kind of new ability.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Aww. Damn.

Mostly, I'm just wondering about that "reflecting a rocket" thing. I'm guessing that some kind of new ability.

I really want a video of it.

Sueve on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Aww. Damn.

Read the fucking page! It clearly says that the regular flamethrower gets a new ability.

EDIT: I'll quote it so you don't have to look for it:
    In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

Peewi on