As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I forgot how to math

S_SS_S Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Well I actually remember most of it, even though I haven't been in high school for two years, except for these three problems I found on a practice version of the placement test my college I'm about to go requires. The answers aren't important; I completely don't remember how to solve them.

Steven can mix 20 drinks in 5 minutes, Sue can mix 20 drinks in 10 minutes, and Jack can mix 20 drinks in 15 minutes, how much time will it take all 3 of them working together to mix the 20 drinks?

A. This is probably the same as 1, but I could be wrong
Sally can make a man climax in 7 minutes, Jane can can make a man climax in 11 minutes and Sandy can make a man climax in 21 minutes. How long would it take them if they worked together?

i.
A science class is worth 4 points; mathematics is worth 3 points; history is worth 2 points; and English is worth 3 points. The values of the grade letters are as follows, A= 4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. What is the GPA of a student who made a “C” in Trigonometry, a “B” in American History, an “A” in Botany, and a “B” in Microbiology?

S_S on

• GaffyGaffy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1. Reduce to a common denominator
    Steven can mix 20 drinks in 5 minutes = 4 drinks every minute
    Sue can mix 20 drinks in 10 minutes = 2 drinks every minute
    Jack can mix 20 drinks in 15 minutes = 4/3 drinks every minute

add em all up 7+ 1/3 drinks every minute

take the total 20/ (7 + 1/3) = answer

2. ditto

3.pretty close to the first one but a little harder(imo)
    Reduce to a common denominator
    Grade
    trig math 3 x 2(C) = 6
    A history 2 x 3(B) = 6
    B Science 4 x 4(A) = 16
    M Science 4 x 3(B) = 12

add em up divide by the total number of credits
    40/13 = GPA

edit cause i'm an idiot and posted before i was done

Gaffy on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    S_S wrote: »
    A. This is probably the same as 1, but I could be wrong
    Sally can make a man climax in 7 minutes, Jane can can make a man climax in 11 minutes and Sandy can make a man climax in 21 minutes. How long would it take them if they worked together?

this sounds like a pretty classy test

INeedNoSalt on
  • S_SS_S Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    thanks Gaffy, no more going back to 6th grade algebra for me

and I forgot what the second question really was and decided to replace it with something that I'd rather be doing than math

S_S on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should write tests for a living.

Dance Commander on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have nothing to add since everything has been solved, I just wanted to say that instead of reporting an individual post for awesomeness I wish I could report this entire thread for awesomeness.

Shogun on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    A) 2 seconds

Doc on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to suggest that you come up with a creative solution for the climax question, because there is no way sexual arousal is a linear question.

One chick alright that's hot, but if you have 3 of them working on your shit it's just not the same fucking ballpark.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • S_SS_S Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I took the real test today and scored at 'college level', and then went out to to find a real-world answer to number A. All of my female friends were busy and or I didn't enough cash, but I did figure out a partial answer while alone in a restroom.

S_S on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    musanman wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest that you come up with a creative solution for the climax question, because there is no way sexual arousal is a linear question.

One chick alright that's hot, but if you have 3 of them working on your shit it's just not the same fucking ballpark.

exponential?

INeedNoSalt on