As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like, Alternative Music

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    OMG RAZIST

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if they count as alternative, but I really <3 They Might Be Giants.

:^: :^: :^:

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if they count as alternative, but I really <3 They Might Be Giants.

:v: :v: :v:

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

*sadness and despair*

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

reinforcements!

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Do the Killers fit in to alternative music? I think so.

Their new album hits October 3rd, single sounds good.

Alpine on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Alpine wrote:
    Do the Killers fit in to alternative music?

Alternative to what?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Seriously. I mean, I guess I can admire where they're coming from (maybe a little?), or I can at least feel a little bad for them, but they do suck.

The Killers are really more rock then alt (ahem). I do sort of like them in a simple pop music way.

Kind of like The Hives, which are sort of alt I guess. I listened to "Tyrannosaurus Hives" (I know I spelled that wrong and I don't care) the other day and it was really cool in its own way.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Seriously. I mean, I guess I can admire where they're coming from (maybe a little?), or I can at least feel a little bad for them, but they do suck.

The Killers are really more rock then alt (ahem). I do sort of like them in a simple pop music way.

Kind of like The Hives, which are sort of alt I guess. I listened to "Tyrannosaurus Hives" (I know I spelled that wrong and I don't care) the other day and it was really cool in its own way.

Ah yes, the Hives. They definately have their own sound going for them, but the novelty of their matching retro suits, along with the singers' screaming/howling voice and the twangy guitars has kinda worn off. I used to really like them, but now Im just all "meh" when I listen to them. Kinda sad when you consider the group has been around since the mid 90's (although it was very low key during the 90's).

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    CptKemzik wrote:
    Ah yes, the Hives. They definately have their own sound going for them, but the novelty of their matching retro suits, along with the singers' screaming/howling voice and the twangy guitars has kinda worn off. I used to really like them, but now Im just all "meh" when I listen to them. Kinda sad when you consider the group has been around since the mid 90's (although it was very low key during the 90's).
    Yeah I just started listening to them. I couldn't picture myself getting really into them at all because there's just not much of anything there. But it's sort of fun.

In other words, I'm listening to them for the same reason I listened to "Hips Don't Lie" for over an hour the other day. The dope beats.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Where should I start if I want to get into Joy Division? Unknown Pleasures or Substance?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Where should I start if I want to get into Joy Division? Unknown Pleasures or Substance?

The two studio albums, (1980)Closer and (1979)Unknown Pleasures are both stellar albums. (1988)Substance is a brilliant compilation. There is no reason why you shouldn't get all three. However, if you don't like Substance you probably won't like the studio albums.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Has everybody listened to the damn Constantines yet? Because everybody should. The first six songs on Shine A Light are simply the best thing I've heard in hard-rock-esque music in FOREVER. For some reason I feel like I'm the only guy who's listening to them, but then I can't figure out why, because they're incredible.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Constantines are great.

I'm kind of partial to Tournament of Hearts, myself. Especially Lizaveta.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    Lobster JohnsonLobster Johnson Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    CptKemzik wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

They're like Refused's evil twin brother.

Lobster Johnson on
    squidsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    So, can I bump this or what? I want to talk about indie rock or whatever.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So I'm going to mention a band I've been listening to lately. be your own PET.

I heard they were really hyped up, but I just happened to catch their music video on Fuse the other day. I don't know why, but I just really like them. If I think about it, the music isn't really all that good. But it's so fun to listen to.

On another note.. Anyone know anything about Cursive? I've heard about them here and there but never decided to check them out. I've been thinking about it. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    RilRil Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Kealoha wrote:
    So I'm going to mention a band I've been listening to lately. be your own PET.

I heard they were really hyped up, but I just happened to catch their music video on Fuse the other day. I don't know why, but I just really like them. If I think about it, the music isn't really all that good. But it's so fun to listen to.

On another note.. Anyone know anything about Cursive? I've heard about them here and there but never decided to check them out. I've been thinking about it. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I love Cursive. Their older stuff is more straight-up screamin' rock, but their third album, Domestica, is a bit slower paced, but rocking nonetheless.

After Domestica, they added a cellist to the band, which really changed their sound. Between Domestica and their next album, The Ugly Organ, they released the Burst & Bloom EP and a split with the Japanese group, Eastern Youth called Eight Teeth to Eat to Eat You.

After The Ugly Organ, their cellist left, and they added a horn section for their latest album, Happy Hollow. The lyrics on Happy Hollow aren't as top-notch as their previous stuff, but I loved the horns on it and the whole theme is pretty interesting (small town life/the tendency of Fundamentalist Christians to blindly follow the Church).

I'd say listen to Domestica first, then Burst & Bloom/Eight Teeth, followed by Ugly Organ and Happy Hollow.

Ril on
    tablocks10hk.png
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    TV on the Radio
    Built to Spill
    The Decemberists

Librarian on
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I heard an Explosions in the Sky song on a Cadillac commercial last night. D:

Porphyria Plan on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, well...they did most of the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights as well. Nick Drake's Pink Moon was in a VW commercial. Modest Mouse did a minivan commercial. Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones was used for a fucking cell phone plan. It doesn't really bother me anymore.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

:^: :^: :^: :^:
    EDIT: I have not heard a single song by Cursive but just reading about their album structure and the fact that they had a cellist makes me think that they might be the band I've been looking for all year.

Snork on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm digging on Eels right now. Not Ready Yet and Souljacker Part 1make me feel good things inside.

Gim on
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, well...they did most of the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights as well. Nick Drake's Pink Moon was in a VW commercial. Modest Mouse did a minivan commercial. Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones was used for a fucking cell phone plan. It doesn't really bother me anymore.

I learned about the Friday Night Lights soundtrack shortly after I found about them. Doesn't effect me for that reason.

I know that commercial you're talking about, I'm still bothered when I see it. My wife even said, "what the fuck?" when we first saw it.

Porphyria Plan on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    eh, Bands that are awesome, or somewhat not yet mentioned

Suburban Kids with Biblical Names (Awesome)
    Band of Horses (two awesome songs, funeral and our swords, some other decent stuff)
    Jens Lekman hardy classifies are rock, but then whatever, its all borderline, he's awesome
    Bright eyes was mentioned as a stay away, the man is awesome, shuttup ^_^

(suppose that also means stay away eh? :P)

Also Smithereens but honestly i have no idea how well known etc they are, i have never heard of them, got their album "Blown to smithereens" and liked it, still it sounds ... old, i dunno :roll: but if people can mention pixies and Joy division whatev

Also the Soundtrack of our Lives have a number of great songs, such as bigtime, transindental suicide and instant repeater 99'

Too much BS to be solid though :(

oh and lest we forget, a seriously awesome band, Silverbullit, my favourite band so thus i forget they are unknown :roll:

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Finally got around to listening to all of The Fiery Furnaces' "Blueberry Boat". The first time I listened to it, I couldn't make it all the way through, and I just left it alone in my music library for the longest time. Now I gave it another chance and there are a lot of really gorgeous moments amidst all the indie-rockopera grandeur.

Going to see Man Man this Saturday in Philly. I saw them already at Siren Music Festival, and it was pretty much the best live performance I've seen, so I'm super stoked.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    For me, the pendulum has totally swung back. I was getting way into indie rock and alternative-y type stuff a few months ago, but after gorging myself on it a little (let's see, new bands I listened to -- Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, The Editors, The Arctic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Sufjan Stevens, Tapes 'n' Tapes, The Walkmen, Camera Obscura, TV On the Radio, The Decemberists, Wolf Parade, Band of Horses, probably a couple others I'm forgetting) I'm totally sick of it again. When I hear an indie kid recommend an album, I cringe, and I'd rather just listen to MOP.

Some of it is good, don't get me wrong, but I'm just sick of it again. Sufjan Stevens and The Arctic Monkeys were particularly disappointing for me. I still haven't managed to listen to a whole Sufjan album without getting an overwhelming urge to turn it off and the Arctic Monkeys are just unoriginal and they suck.

I do really like TV on the Radio and Wolf Parade. The others are all fairly "meh".

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    While not alternative, I am proud to say that I will be seeing Agent Orange and The Dickies in November. Fuck yes.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    For me, the pendulum has totally swung back. I was getting way into indie rock and alternative-y type stuff a few months ago, but after gorging myself on it a little (let's see, new bands I listened to -- Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, The Editors, The Arctic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Sufjan Stevens, Tapes 'n' Tapes, The Walkmen, Camera Obscura, TV On the Radio, The Decemberists, Wolf Parade, Band of Horses, probably a couple others I'm forgetting) I'm totally sick of it again. When I hear an indie kid recommend an album, I cringe, and I'd rather just listen to MOP.

Some of it is good, don't get me wrong, but I'm just sick of it again. Sufjan Stevens and The Arctic Monkeys were particularly disappointing for me. I still haven't managed to listen to a whole Sufjan album without getting an overwhelming urge to turn it off and the Arctic Monkeys are just unoriginal and they suck.

I do really like TV on the Radio and Wolf Parade. The others are all fairly "meh".

Yeah, The Arctic Monkeys are overrated, duh, but you really didn't like Sufjan Stevens? Really? You listened to Illinois, right?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, The Arctic Monkeys are overrated, duh, but you really didn't like Sufjan Stevens? Really? You listened to Illinois, right?
    Yep -- that's the one I keep turning off. Based on my play count, I think it's Come On! Feel the Illinoise! that keeps doing me in. It's not very good, especially based on all the hype I've heard for it.

• Options
    edited September 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Yep -- that's the one I keep turning off. Based on my play count, I think it's Come On! Feel the Illinoise! that keeps doing me in. It's not very good, especially based on all the hype I've heard for it.

Oh, well at least skip to John Wayne Gacy Jr, Chicago, and Predatory Wasp of the Palisades- those are the best songs. I dunno, I feel the end of the album kind of drags a bit, but the beginning is very strong, so I'm kind of surprised you turn it off so early, especially since I think Come On! Feel the Illinoise! is a great song as well. Different strokes, I guess.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Oh, well at least skip to John Wayne Gacy Jr, Chicago, and Predatory Wasp of the Palisades- those are the best songs. I dunno, I feel the end of the album kind of drags a bit, but the beginning is very strong, so I'm kind of surprised you turn it off so early, especially since I think Come On! Feel the Illinoise! is a great song as well. Different strokes, I guess.
    Yeah, I dunno -- I'll listen to those again when I'm done listening to The Roots again (hip hop -- hell yeah I missed you!), but I mean, for all I've heard, the stuff is terrifically bland.

As far as terrifically bland yet totally hyped up bands that I don't understand, I've never understood the Wilco love. I mean, I like the album. It's good. It's listenable. But I have no idea what, in that album, got people so hot and bothered (I'm talking about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (I think that's its name)). It's good, no doubt, but I mean, y'all realize there was a pretty big fuss made over it, right? And it's really not anything too different than what we've already heard countless times before. If anyone knows what the fuss is about, please explain.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like the Arctic Monkeys, and I think the overhype is not at all their fault and shouldn't be held against them. I'm waiting for their second album to see if they can cope with it and make something else as unique and well played as the first. I also liked Sufjan's Illinoise! CD.

Got to see The Hidden Cameras last week. Their new CD, "Awoo", is amazing.

Also listening to: Electrelane, The Decemberists (I feel really stupid for not buying "Picaresque" when it came out. "Eli, The Barrow Boy" is my fav song on it, but the rest are really good), Amy Millan, Most Serene Republic, Camera Obscura, The Concretes ("In Colour" is more consistent then "Let's Get Out Of This Country", IMO. Too bad their singer left?), The Destroyers, Neko Case, and, um. . . Tegan and Sara. Plus all the other Canadian standards.

My sister bought me tickets to the next Islands show for my birthday, but I'm more excited about Malajube. Their a Quebec band, and completely French, but they just sound so fucking good they can't help it. They're even up for the Polaris.

I want a new Arcade Fire album. :/

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Actic Monkeys is just from the Bermuda Triangle zone of WTF. I just dont get why, not at all. Ok, maybe a little from hype but its just so shockingly lacking in any weight at all.

I need a new Kings of Leon album. I've played everything they have too much but I know I love them so

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    For me, and everyone else I've talked to about it, Arctic Monkeys just came along and did a stunning job of putting their sound together just right, and as unpretentiously as possible. I can't spell. They just did it right.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lately I've been rockin:
    Cursive
    Smashing Pumpkins
    AFI
    Explosions in the Sky
    Radiohead
    Sufjan Stevens
    Russian Circles

among many others. I really need to pick up Enter by Russian Circles, I really like the song I have from it.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Did I mention that the new Hidden Cameras is the best shit they've done? Really, really good.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    I like basically everyone in this lineup

Or I would do if I'd been able to get tickets. As it is ,they all suck and I hope a tidal wave hits Byron Bay tomorrow.

I went, and it was good.

Anyway, favourite bands of the moment:
    New Order
    The Mars Volta
    Protugal. The Man
    Sounds of Animals Fighting
    Fielding
    Pilate
    Van She
    The Presets
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Muse
    and as always:
    Soundgarden

Superunknown on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    celery77 wrote:

I find the need to maintain a pretty constant balance. I enjoy all sorts of the indie rock standards (Sufjan, TV on the Radio, Wolf Parade, Decemberists etc etc etc) but I still listen to plenty of music unrelated to that. I can't imagine listening to solely that stuff and forgoing all sorts of awesome music that isn't in that gang at all. In high school I was very much the "screw anything that's popular!" type, and I'm glad that I have since learned to drop the pretension. It was glorious when I found out how awesome Bruce Springsteen or Madonna are.

satansfingers on