Options

UK bargains thread - "Ah! I'll buy it at a low price"

• Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Would have bought Brain Age for a tenner, but got there 1 minute too late.

Cullen on
  • Options
    OrnithophobeOrnithophobe Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm sure GAME wont mind *one* of their Trafford Centre stores being destroyed, in fact I bet theyd appreciate it, claim on the insurance and it'd save them from the hassle of eventually having to lay off one set of employees, after all exactly how long can they keep both going ? especially when theyre so close to one another.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm sure GAME wont mind *one* of their Trafford Centre stores being destroyed, in fact I bet theyd appreciate it, claim on the insurance and it'd save them from the hassle of eventually having to lay off one set of employees, after all exactly how long can they keep both going ? especially when theyre so close to one another.

Hey! u live in the Trafford Centre area! me 2! Wow, this is the 1st time anyone who livews anyway near me has been on PA!

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:

Hey! u live in the Trafford Centre area! me 2! Wow, this is the 1st time anyone who livews anyway near me has been on PA!

Love is in the air, everwhere I look around.

But seriously this free advertising GAME strategy isn't very well thought out.

It just means, everyone who registered and tried to buy stuff resents GAME - just a little bit more than before.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Fuck! I forgot.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:

Unfortunately (for you) thats kind of like finding out the couple down the road have moved out and an old man has moved in who dresses like a tramp, has a drinking problem and saws up furniture in his garden at midnight.

Lave: Yup their prices suck and now theyve just made a whole bunch of people who probably didnt like them much in the first place tired and mildly upset.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Man, I'm glad I didn't stay up till 5am for screen protectors.

Eight minutes to eleven... come on Lite!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fuck, I think I've missed out on that one. I realised at the last minute I wasn't logged in >.<

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Physically impossible! Oh well, all over, back to work.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    DAMN SLOW CHCEKOUT! LOAD!

Oh, the site died.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I was constantly refreshing the screen, and the second the Lites came up they were down to 30. The checkout screen is processing for me, but I fully expect it to return to the 'your order has changed' screen with a full price Lite on it.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah - i was suddenly logged out too.

Oh well, fuck you GAME - I still hate you.

I may go buy something from Gamestation or something - just to hurt you.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    DAMN SLOW CHCEKOUT! LOAD!

Oh, the site died.

Edit: Damn, don't think I could have been any quicker pressing. No luck though :-(

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm stuck halfway through checkout. Stupid Game.

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Paul_IQ164 wrote:
    I was constantly refreshing the screen, and the second the Lites came up they were down to 30. The checkout screen is processing for me, but I fully expect it to return to the 'your order has changed' screen with a full price Lite on it.

The last two batches of lites were 30 only.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    :(

does anyone know of any shops that might pricemantch this?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Also, is it just me, or are all of the games on the front page DS titles?

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

a modified and printed out screen dump taken to Asda might work a charm...

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Exploded for me after I pressed to confirm the order, basket is now empty but im not hopeful, think my order disappeared into limbo.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Let it go man.

It's over.

Walk away.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Nexus Zero wrote:

Not only that, but they have Rub Rabbits for a tenner.

Hmmmm. Thats a better deal than there fucking Sale.

But I almost want to not buy it out of spite...

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Let it go man.

It's over.

Walk away.

but...but...

specialqg8.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:

I'll sell it to you for £10. PMed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Let it go man.

It's over.

Walk away.

but...but...

specialqg8.jpg

wait wait it's watertight!

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:

I'll sell it to you for £10. PMed.

Hot damn, let me think about it. I'm interested.

As we've advertised GAME for them. I'm gona advertise some better alternatives - that I'm sure we are all aware of but still. Us UK peeps generally don't do this.

Play.com and Amazon are standards for getting it a bit cheaper than retail.

Amazon Market Place is my preferred 2nd hand outlet - It's protection plan means, it's easy to get your money back if it isn't what they said. Or don't send it (like my poor dreamcast). Unlike fucking ebay.

cd-wow.com has a small selection but normally has import games just before release here for £20.49 inc P&P - they ship from Jersey like Play et al - so you don't get hit for import tax.

Gamestation.co.uk is ok - but has a bad website.

I've used Lik-Sang - but I don't like to risk the import tax.

Any have any other good ones?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I've pretty much always gone for www.gameplay.co.uk for pre-orders as the prices are at the cheap end of the scale and 95% of the time you receive your game the day before the release date.

Plus they've always been nothing but charming over returns and such and have a live chat on the website if you have any questions for staff. Customer service +++

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    edit: beat'd

gameplay.co.uk

They have good order tracking, will dispatch part orders with no additional charge and get new releases to you typically on the day before release if you pay first class.

Gamestation suck, they have never finished one of my orders, my third and final try to order from them has been *aknowledged* for close to two weeks now.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Hmmm, never heard of them. I'll check them out.

Maybe LewieP can turn this into a UK Deals thread. There seems enough of us British to bookmark this thread to return it form page X when they see a decent deal.

As the americans have it much easier and what what.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So, at a time when DS Lite's are selling out across the globe, why are they selling them for so little? What is the benefit of this incredible sale?

Also, what is the conversion for these sales? Is this in Britain?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    So, at a time when DS Lite's are selling out across the globe, why are they selling them for so little? What is the benefit of this incredible sale?

Also, what is the conversion for these sales? Is this in Britain?

This is britain so £50 = $92 at the mo - And still half price (We pay more, you see.)

They sold no more than 200 DS lites at £50 a pop, losing them no more than £10,000 - in exchange for a huge amount of free advertising and people registering accounts with them. That is the benefit.
    edit: beat'd

gameplay.co.uk

They have good order tracking, will dispatch part orders with no additional charge and get new releases to you typically on the day before release if you pay first class.

Gamestation suck, they have never finished one of my orders, my third and final try to order from them has been *aknowledged* for close to two weeks now.

I didn't realise they suck on line - though there website should have hinted that. As a store, there 2nd hand section is pretty good. But thanks for the tip off. Anything else I don't know?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Paul_IQ164 wrote:

The last two batches of lites were 30 only.

Ah, well that explains that. Still impossible to get them though.

Anyway, Gameplay sent me their catalogue today. I haven't bought anything from them in years - it's all Amazon.co.uk now - but they keep sending it anyway. The first ten pages or so is all DS. Then it's Wii info for three pages. What's happened to the days when only the back four pages carried any Nintendo stuff? I guess the flipside is that they appear to no longer have a GC section at all.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Spot o' tea in your lorry, guvna?

Seriously I love you British lads (what's slang for guys over there? Birds is probably the best slang for females ever)

Well then, cheerio!

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Maybe LewieP can turn this into a UK Deals thread.

Sounds like a Plan!

I like to pimp Dvdcrave whenever i get the opertunity, its aussie based, because of the AUS tax system, we get discounts, so with shipping u normally pay the price of the item (ie if its £30, u save £3 from tax discount, but pay about £3 shipping) the have preorders for dirt cheep, and some random bargains (I got Super mario sunshine + a wavebird for £35, on release) customer service has been great for me (once a GC game case was cracked, so they just sent me a new case, free of charge!)

edit - and australia is PAL format

LewieP on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Movietyme.com (US > UK games and DVD importers, free shipping)

I do apologise, ladies and gents, but I'm compelled to whore out my favourite online store. The lovely lads and lasses at Movietyme.com haven't put a lot of effort into their storefront, as it looks positively dodgy, but I and many others can attest that they make up for it in price and service. They're the place to go for Nintendo DS games; they offer most titles for twenty quid, and of course everything has free shipping to the UK.

Allow me to go over that again: They offer North American DS titles at five to ten pounds below what you'd pay at, say, Amazon and you pay nothing for shipping. You get your games weeks, even months earlier than those nonces who buy stuff locally. And for cheaper. Well, bugger me sideways.

Items take anything from three days to a week to arrive.

While they don't stock anything for PS2, GameCube or XBOX, they have a veritable horde of Nintendo DS, GameBoy Advance, PSP and XBOX 360 goodies. And, as their name suggests, Region 1 DVDs.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I don't own an Xbox, but some people might like this deal

Xbox Mega Pack contains -
    Teh hueg Xbox controller
    DVD playback kit
    Halo 2
    and Forza

all for £40

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Update: web site stinks, Customer Service over phone great.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

I'm just experiancing this atm, Iridion 2 for the GBA arrived and the box was in tatters, so the guy over the phone is going swap it for PoP:TTT!!

I just need to get and play SoT first, then imagine playing WW, except a good game...

edit - and he just agreed to give me SoT and megaman network transmission for a £10 gift voucher!

(i origionally got £20 in gift vouchers because 3 of the 4 for £20 games i had ordered were out of stock! so i only paid £15 for £20 gift voucher!)

LewieP on
  • Options
    HazukiSanHazukiSan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, Gamestation aren't the best. Ordered a few things that took a month then got told "We can't fulfil it" and when they could fulfil it they took 2 weeks to deliver it.

GAME for console preorders and Gameplay for games for me (especially the latter, they do some great deals. Got Bomberman DS and Rub Rabbits off them yesterday for £25)

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Movietyme.com (US > UK games and DVD importers, free shipping)

I do apologise, ladies and gents, but I'm compelled to whore out my favourite online store. The lovely lads and lasses at Movietyme.com haven't put a lot of effort into their storefront, as it looks positively dodgy, but I and many others can attest that they make up for it in price and service. They're the place to go for Nintendo DS games; they offer most titles for twenty quid, and of course everything has free shipping to the UK.

Allow me to go over that again: They offer North American DS titles at five to ten pounds below what you'd pay at, say, Amazon and you pay nothing for shipping. You get your games weeks, even months earlier than those nonces who buy stuff locally. And for cheaper. Well, bugger me sideways.

Items take anything from three days to a week to arrive.

While they don't stock anything for PS2, GameCube or XBOX, they have a veritable horde of Nintendo DS, GameBoy Advance, PSP and XBOX 360 goodies. And, as their name suggests, Region 1 DVDs.

Have you used it a lot? Do you get hit with import tax?

LewieP wrote:

I'm just experiancing this atm, Iridion 2 for the GBA arrived and the box was in tatters, so the guy over the phone is going swap it for PoP:TTT!!

I just need to get and play SoT first, then imagine playing WW, except a good game...

edit - and he just agreed to give me SoT and megaman network transmission for a £10 gift voucher!

(i origionally got £20 in gift vouchers because 3 of the 4 for £20 games i had ordered were out of stock! so i only paid £15 for £20 gift voucher!)

Please, please don't play WW. After this happened to me - I know it isn't worth it. And God Damn, TT is a decent game so far (couple of hours in) that keeps the spirit of the game. But just play SoT - realise the awesome, then get somehere to tell you what happens (you can always PM me) - then play TT.

You will be stronger for it.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
This discussion has been closed.