UK bargains thread - "Ah! I'll buy it at a low price"

• Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Movietyme.com (US > UK games and DVD importers, free shipping)[...]
    Have you used it a lot? Do you get hit with import tax?[...]
    I've used them five times to date, all for DS games. Three times the games arrived within three days (Partners in Time, Tetris DS and Trauma Center a few weeks after their US release dates), and twice within seven days (New Super Mario Bros., Brain Training pre-ordered).

This is because Movietyme operate by... well, I'll copy and paste a post from NTSC-UK which gives the lowdown on how they evade import tax and lower shipping costs for the consumer.
    As far as I'm aware, Movietyme get your items sent over from the US after you order, then re-ship from within the UK, so the email saying your item was shipped means it has left the warehouse in the US, and you usually have to wait another 7-10 days for it to turn up.

Occasionally an order will come through much quicker, and presumably this is when they have spare stock in the UK.

You only pay to have your item shipped from their UK warehouse. Which means no import tax and free shipping. Of course, if you pre-order their two-step shipping means you'd have to wait a few days longer than most importers which ship directly to you. But that way you always run the risk of being caught by Customs and Excise. I'd rather play it safe and go with Movietyme's shipping method.

I was referred to Movietyme from the rabid fanboys at Revolution Europe (formerly Cube Europe) and some solid testimonials at NTSC-UK. Both their forums appear to be down right now, otherwise I'd link you up.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Please, please don't play WW. After this happened to me - I know it isn't worth it. And God Damn, TT is a decent game so far (couple of hours in) that keeps the spirit of the game. But just play SoT - realise the awesome, then get somehere to tell you what happens (you can always PM me) - then play TT.

You will be stronger for it.

thats my plan, I was gonna complete SoT then post here asking for a filler story-wise :D

even if, despite the horror strories, i might enjoy it, its money that should be going in my DS/Wii fund. I think i would only buy it if i saw it at a bargain price (ie sub £3)

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Movietyme.com (US > UK games and DVD importers, free shipping)[...]
    Have you used it a lot? Do you get hit with import tax?[...]
    I've used them five times to date, all for DS games. Three times the games arrived within three days (Partners in Time, Tetris DS and Trauma Center a few weeks after their US release dates), and twice within seven days (New Super Mario Bros., Brain Training pre-ordered).

This is because Movietyme operate by... well, I'll copy and paste a post from NTSC-UK which gives the lowdown on how they evade import tax and lower shipping costs for the consumer.
    As far as I'm aware, Movietyme get your items sent over from the US after you order, then re-ship from within the UK, so the email saying your item was shipped means it has left the warehouse in the US, and you usually have to wait another 7-10 days for it to turn up.

Occasionally an order will come through much quicker, and presumably this is when they have spare stock in the UK.

You only pay to have your item shipped from their UK warehouse. Which means no import tax and free shipping. Of course, if you pre-order their two-step shipping means you'd have to wait a few days longer than most importers which ship directly to you. But that way you always run the risk of being caught by Customs and Excise. I'd rather play it safe and go with Movietyme's shipping method.

I was referred to Movietyme from the rabid fanboys at Revolution Europe (formerly Cube Europe) and some solid testimonials at NTSC-UK. Both their forums appear to be down right now, otherwise I'd link you up.

But from the FAQs on the site it says:
    Q: Are shipments Liable To Tax & Duty?
    A: Yes as a rule all items over £18 in value are liable for Customs Tax & Duty.
    Customers of this site are responsible for paying local countries import taxes / duty and are none refundable by us.

Where were you told they do that? It doesn't make sense - as then they would definitly be paying import tax on each order - I don't see how they could make money.

But if this is true - then it' awesome.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Double post evil. But warranted.

I've been looking into Movietyme - but found nothing out.

I did however find The Hut - which I've never heard off. And I never trust places I've never heard of:

But it is selling Phoenix Wright for £15.50 new inc P&P!

EDIT: Ships from Jersey - seems legit.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Top Gun = Educational...

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Top Gun = Educational...

Goose? Goose? GOOSE? GOOSE!

I don't understand

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Top Gun = Educational...

I don't understand

I lol'ed, but I was just refering to the only title in The Hut's Educational section.

Has anyone made use of GAME's returns policy? I'm thinking play the fuck out of the three games I bought from them, and then returning them.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    HazukiSanHazukiSan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Top Gun = Educational...

I don't understand

I lol'ed, but I was just refering to the only title in The Hut's Educational section.

Has anyone made use of GAME's returns policy? I'm thinking play the fuck out of the three games I bought from them, and then returning them.

It depends uppon what store you go into really, some of them ask that it's still plastic wrapped and others aren't that bothered.

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    HazukiSan wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    Nexus Zero wrote:
    Top Gun = Educational...

I don't understand

It depends uppon what store you go into really, some of them ask that it's still plastic wrapped and others aren't that bothered.

I thought it was "for any reason."

At uni a couple of years ago - I seem to remember my housemate taking Enter the Matrix back (poor guy). And I once bought a CSI game back when I still rolled windows and completed it in a night (Hey! It was good. And my PC wouldn't tun owt else!) and took it back too.

If I remember they made me fill in a couple of forms with my address but it wasn't a problem.

I would check though - and I think they may have stopped that PC games.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    I don't own an Xbox, but some people might like this deal

Xbox Mega Pack contains -
    Teh hueg Xbox controller
    DVD playback kit
    Halo 2
    and Forza

all for £40

that -has- to be some sort of stock photo they are using for the controller, since they stopped making Dukes like 4 years ago.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:

on a simillar note -
    Yoshi - Touch and Go £8.89 delivered
    Pac-Pix £8.89 delivered
    Mr.Driller: Drill Spirits £8.89 delivered
    Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2 £8.89 delivered

FyreWulff wrote:
    that -has- to be some sort of stock photo they are using for the controller, since they stopped making Dukes like 4 years ago.
    Likely, either that or its really really old stock, hense the clerance price. Wait, those games were made after they stopped making Dukes then right? i guess u can probably assume its an S then, but don't quote me on that :wink:

LewieP on
  • Options
    HazukiSanHazukiSan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

It is but they can only request plastic wrapping "at their discretion"

and I don't think they let you bring back PC games.

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    HazukiSan wrote:

Whsmiths lets u return pc games, i know people who buy new releases, take them home, install them, get a NOCD, then return it. Every week. And thats why i dont buy PC games from Whsmiths.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    HazukiSan wrote:

Whsmiths lets u return pc games, i know people who buy new releases, take them home, install them, get a NOCD, then return it. Every week. And thats why i dont buy PC games from Whsmiths.

No one buys anything from WHSmiths do they? Unless they are stuck in a train station.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    HazukiSan wrote:

No one buys anything from WHSmiths do they? Unless they are stuck in a train station.

R:Racing + Pac man Vs. £10 soon after release.

I then printed out a custom boxart for Pac man Vs, put it in a spare GC game case i had, and sold it on ebay for £12

I don't really like R:Racing tho

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Or they've ran out of pencils.

Say what you will, WHSmith make damned fine pencils. Boy howdy!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Lave wrote:

Pencils and misunderstanding the computer games market - thats a business plan!

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    flamingdogflamingdog Registered User new member
    edited July 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Lave wrote:

I once bought a newspaper in there. Yeah, that's right. You heard me. I live on the god damned edge.

flamingdog on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    flamingdog wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Lave wrote:

I once bought a newspaper in there. Yeah, that's right. You heard me. I live on the god damned edge.

Oh shits me too!

Today.

:shock:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    PCworld are having a Console Sale Today, starting at 4.00pm, I may pick up a PS2 if they are cheap enough, not sure whats going to be on it though.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited July 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    PCworld are having a Console Sale Today, starting at 4.00pm, I may pick up a PS2 if they are cheap enough, not sure whats going to be on it though.

£257 for a premium XBox 360.

I don't even know if thats a good deal.

Presumably other consoles in week - worth keeping an eye on, as I don't have a PS2 or XBox 1 yet.

Cheers!

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Highlights from Woolworths, quaite a few good, cheap games

DS -
    Mr.Driller: Drill Spirits £8.99
    Yoshi Touch And Go £8.99
    Pac-Pix £8.99

GBA -
    It's Mr. Pants £5
    Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link [NES Classics] £5

PC -
    Serious Sam 2 £3.00
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six - Lockdown £2.00

PS2 -
    God or War £14
    Fahrenheit £14

Xbox -
    Area 51 £3
    Lego Star Wars: The Video Game £9
    Pro Evo Soccer 4 £4.99
    Mercenaries - Playground Of Destruction £5.99
    Outrun 2 £7.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory £7.99

Delivery is £1.50, or you can collect instore.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I posted this in the DS thread too, but whatever...
    My local Woolies (urmston) are selling a load of DS/GBA games for 2 for £24, most of these games are shovelware, but hidden in amongst the crap is Nanostray and Phoenix Wright. It appears to be instore only, but this is a pretty sweet deal.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited August 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    My local Woolies (urmston) are selling a load of DS/GBA games for 2 for £24, most of these games are shovelware, but hidden in amongst the crap is Nanostray and Phoenix Wright. It appears to be instore only, but this is a pretty sweet deal.

I can confirm this. But the store I went to only had nanostray in stock, so I left empty handed.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

I can confirm this. But the store I went to only had nanostray in stock, so I left empty handed.

Did you ask if you could get it ordered from their warehouse? if something is out of stock you can get them to send it to you store from their warehouse, it takes a week or two, but seems worth it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    In the Morrisons I work in we are selling Psychonauts [Xbox] for £8. I think this game is quite rare these days so it seems like a great deal.

The vast majority of games we sell are total shovelware and I have no idea if they are selling Psychonauts in any other store.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited August 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

Did you ask if you could get it ordered from their warehouse? if something is out of stock you can get them to send it to you store from their warehouse, it takes a week or two, but seems worth it.

I was only browsing. Didn't think. I have PW:AA (completed it this weekend - it's superb), so just assumed it was just shovelware left in the sale.

But would pick up nanostray with another good game if I knew of any - Sonic Rush would be perfect. Or Lost Magic. Or Rub Rabbits 2.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm pretty sure there are lots of people on G&T who would want to buy PW:AA for £12, maybe put something in your sig, and go halves with someone on the deal?

LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited August 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there are lots of people on G&T who would want to buy PW:AA for £12, maybe put something in your sig, and go halves with someone on the deal?

Yeah, but I'm lazy, and don't want nanostray enough to jump through the hoops. Incidentally the Woolworths website has the Zelda II re-release for £5.

I'm more drawn to getting FFIV or Uplink. Hmmm.

But - the Psychonaughts deal is well worth it. It makes me want an Xbox.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    OrnithophobeOrnithophobe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I have a cheque to put in the bank so I think i'll go look tomorrow and see whats left at my local Woolies.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

Correction: It was 2 for £26...

...I initially growled when I couldnt see Phoenix Wright but there was a copy hidden away behind some tat.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i'm thinking of getting American Sk8land from that dvdcrave site (the aussie one). It'd be about £13 total, which is quite nice, considering play.com has it for £9.99, but is sold out : <
    anything i should know before putting in an order?
    edit: for instance, they seem to want a credit card for the order, i've only got a debit.. think they'll accept?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    darleysam wrote:
    edit: for instance, they seem to want a credit card for the order, i've only got a debit.. think they'll accept?

At least my Visa Electron works fine with DVDCrave.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    small print: "only applies when you open a credit account"

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    If anyone lives near or goes somewhere near a Forbidden Planet be sure to check them out...they have a store locater on their site...

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/

They're great for used games and they have new games usually for at least £5 less than GAME, Gamestation etc.

They also have some imported and rare titles, I can't really vouch for stores other than the Leicester one but they have loads of used games usually for very decent prices.

They also stock a fair bit of Pen and Paper stuff, Anime, Comics etc.

They rarely, if ever have sales though but I just thought I'd put it out there.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm resurrecting this thread from down on page something-far-away to mention the Game Boy Micros going at GAME for £39.99. I mean, that's pretty goof, right? I've been seeing them going used on eBay for about that amount. Oh, and it's free delivery this bank hoiday weekend too. I linked the silver one, but all the colours are the same price.[/url]

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    And just six days after I bought a Micro off the Amazon Marketplace for ten quid more than that. Seeing as those ten Queen's Faces could have gone towards a new game, or one of those underage wank mags I'm so fond of, that news is rather upsetting. I do believe I'll have to modify my busy schedule to squeeze in a bit of a cry.

Wonderful news to those without Micros, though. At forty pound sterling, it's a total no-brainer. A delightful piece of electronics that no man should be without, with a screen and form factor leagues ahead of the GBA SP, also posessing the portability that the DS Lite lacks when it has an ugly GameBoy cartridge sticking out of its rear end.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    And just six days after I bought a Micro off the Amazon Marketplace for ten quid more than that. Seeing as those ten Queen's Faces could have gone towards a new game, or one of those underage wank mags I'm so fond of, that news is rather upsetting. I do believe I'll have to modify my busy schedule to squeeze in a bit of a cry.

Wonderful news to those without Micros, though. At forty pound sterling, it's a total no-brainer. A delightful piece of electronics that no man should be without, with a screen and form factor leagues ahead of the GBA SP, also posessing the portability that the DS Lite lacks when it has an ugly GameBoy cartridge sticking out of its rear end.

Not a total no-brainer. You have to pick a colour.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Gamestation are doing a 4 for £20 deal on the consoles at the moment I picked up Mark of Kri, Pn.03, Gitaroo Man and Lotr: ROTK for a mere two tens.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.