Options

UK bargains thread - "Ah! I'll buy it at a low price"

• Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    ..Seeing as those ten Queen's Faces could have gone towards a new game, or one of those underage wank mags I'm so fond of, that news is rather upsetting. I do believe I'll have to modify my busy schedule to squeeze in a bit of a cry.

Yup, well those ten royal mugs could do worse than to look towards play's pre-order price for Rebelstar to go with that GBA Micro.

£9.99:

http://www.play.com/Games/GameBoyAdvanced/STCS3/3-/1125931/RebelStar_Tactical_Command/Product.html

Track Nine on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    LewieP on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited August 2006
    Track Nine wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    ..Seeing as those ten Queen's Faces could have gone towards a new game, or one of those underage wank mags I'm so fond of, that news is rather upsetting. I do believe I'll have to modify my busy schedule to squeeze in a bit of a cry.

Yup, well those ten royal mugs could do worse than to look towards play's pre-order price for Rebelstar to go with that GBA Micro.

£9.99:

http://www.play.com/Games/GameBoyAdvanced/STCS3/3-/1125931/RebelStar_Tactical_Command/Product.html

AT £40 new a Micro is essential! Seriosuly.

And cheers, I've just bought RebelStar. I love Xcom (though mainly for the bases/geosphere) and the guys who made Xcom made this - and I need to support them (But not £25 support them).

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, you can subscribe to 3 issues of the official Nintendo magazine for £9.99 and get a free Wavebird.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited September 2006
    Hmmm, no details of how you cancel.

That could be difficult and finicky.

But then £10 wavebird....

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    ok here's a steal if you look in the once known Dixons (now Curry's digital) stores have Sprung on the Ds for £0.97.

Now if you trade them in to Gamestation you will get £8 trade per Sprung.

Need I explain more?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    LewieP on
  • Options
    OrnithophobeOrnithophobe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thank you for ordering from Gamestation.

We have been experiencing some technical difficulties with online order processing. Due to the nature of the difficulties, we are unable to fulfil a number of orders placed in July.

I regret to advise that your order has been cancelled and any outstanding payments have been refunded.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have been caused.

Them there Gamestation folk really know how to respond to a crisis.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    get on the phone to them, be firm and polite and you will get compensation, push for something like £10/20, depending on the size of your order, gift voucher and upgrade to first class postage on your reorder. Explain that you are really unhappy about not only their incompetance and how it has inconveinienced you, but also how they have not comunicated to you untill now. If any of the games you had ordered are now out of stock, which with me alot were, ask for a replacement that is more expensive.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    get on the phone to them, be firm and polite and you will get compensation, push for something like £10/20, depending on the size of your order, gift voucher and upgrade to first class postage on your reorder. Explain that you are really unhappy about not only their incompetance and how it has inconveinienced you, but also how they have not comunicated to you untill now. If any of the games you had ordered are now out of stock, which with me alot were, ask for a replacement that is more expensive.

Well ,you see ,the thing is, they sent me the order, thats what makes the e-mail even more wierd.

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Well ,you see ,the thing is, they sent me the order, thats what makes the e-mail even more wierd.
    buh? you received the items, and they sent that? did they charge you?

I got undercharged, cos 3 of my 8 items were out of stock, so they charged me £25 instead of £40, but also gave me replacement items for the 3 games that were out of stock, I ended up getting for £25 -
    metal slug advance
    sabre wulf
    PoP:SoT
    PoP:TTT
    Xmen Legends
    Gotcha Force
    another 2 GC games I forgot
    and £10 gift voucher

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Ziggymon wrote:
    ok here's a steal if you look in the once known Dixons (now Curry's digital) stores have Sprung on the Ds for £0.97.

Now if you trade them in to Gamestation you will get £8 trade per Sprung.

Need I explain more?

:^: :^:

thanks for the heads up, I am now the proud owner of 3 x Sprung (all the trafford centre curry's had in stock!) I will be heading down to gamestation sometime soon. If gamestation don't accept more than one of the same item (i think its managers discretion) Game also give £4 trade in for it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sorry to keep whoring out this thread, but -

Burnout 3: takedown, Xbox £4.97 delivered
    Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney £18.99 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Xbox premium? £199 delivered

I've not fully checked this out, but listed in the Technical Specifications is
    * Console (Exclusive chrome DVD tray)
    * Hard drive (20GB)
    * Wireless controller

* Ethernet connectivity cable
    * Component HD AV cable (with SCART adaptor)
    * (compatible with both HD and standard TVs)
    * Headset
    * Power supply and cord
    * Instruction manuals
    * 2 x AA Batteries for wireless controller

So looks to me like its a Premium Console, not a core. maybe its better to look into it in more detail, but potential for a good bargain here.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Holy god yes. I already own a 360 but that is so tempting. Just, you know, for LAN and stuff.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    LewieP wrote:

I'll see that and raise (lower? - the poker analogy doesn't work) you Phoenix Wright, £16.75 delivered

WHERE ARE YOUR EXCUSES NOW, EH?

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    japan wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

I'll see that and raise (lower? - the poker analogy doesn't work) you Phoenix Wright, £16.75 delivered

WHERE ARE YOUR EXCUSES NOW, EH?

man, I fold.... :cry:

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thread Necromancy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5328564.stm
    Euro debut for iTunes challenger

The world's biggest online retailer of independent music has opened a European store offering unrestricted downloads.

eMusic is the second most successful download site in the US after Apple's iTunes Music Store, and will sell tracks from 8,500 independent labels.

Basically if you sign up now to http://www.emusic.com/ you get 25 free downloads (DRM Free baby) and cancel before you have to pay a penny. Requires credit card.

This actually seems like a really good store, and I'm half tempted to become an actual subscriber when my grant arrives, downloads are priced at about the 25p mark but are based on subscription (although you get to keep everything when you cancel your sub)

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    More necromancy.

Gamestation appear to be having another fit with their online system, they credited my card with £10.98 on monday,tuesday,wednesday and thursday last week ???

Ornithophobe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    see below

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    UK wii buying guide - (most of these need a quidco account)

Please note the following Prices are subject to change. I have listed prices as they stand now with current vouchers/discounts, but please note these may not be available when stores are ready to take Pre-Orders.

Also no stores have been allocated stock as of yet, so the ones taking "Pre-Orders" are actually making a personal first come first served lists.

Amazon [£179.99] *Taking Pre-Orders* (note the first link is a referal link, I make 10% comision off this link, click here if you want a non-referal link)
    Voucher: N/A
    Quidco: N/A
    Total Price: £179.99

Play [£179.99] *Taking Pre-Orders*
    Quidco: 2% Cashback
    Total Price: £176.39

Gameseek [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Quidco: 2% Cashback
    Total Price: £176.39

Woolworths [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Quidco: 5% Cashback
    Total Price: £170.99

Liksang [£179.99] *Taking Pre-Orders*
    Quidco: N/A
    Total Price: £179.99

Comet [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Quidco: 3.5% Cashback
    Total Price: £173.69

Boots [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Quidco: 6.5% Cashback
    Extras: £7.20 in Boots Points (Instore Credit)
    Total Price: £161.09

Boots offer Points rewards, usually awarded at 4% of total purchase price. These points can only be spent in store, save them for games and accessories for more discounts! Points are valued at 1p per Point...
    Boots seem to offer 10% Discount currently, so will have to wait till this promo is over before we can see what codes will works when they take pre-orders…

HMV [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Voucher: £5 Off
    Quidco: 6% Cashback
    Total Price: £164.49

Littlewoods [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Voucher: Various dependant on payment type…
    Total Price: ???

Littlewoods offer discount if you pay buy Account I think, could someone please verify this and what discount if any if given…

Game [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Voucher: £5 Off (Ends 31st September)
    Quidco: 3% Cashback
    Total Price: £169.74

John Lewis [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Voucher: £15 Off (Ends 31st October)
    Quidco: Either 2% (Electricals) or 4% (Audio/Video Equipment) Cashback
    Total Price: ???

John Lewis offer two types of cashback, I am not sure what a Nintendo Wii would be classed as…
    John Lewis also offer discounts if payed for by accounts? Similar to Littlewooods, perhaps someone could confirm this, along with a discount if applicable…

Gamestation [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Total Price: £174.59

PC World [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Total Price: £169.19

Currys [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Voucher: 5% Discount [£8.10] (You-At-Work scheme: Only use if applicable to you!)
    Total Price: £166.73

Dixons [£179.99] *Not taking Pre-Orders yet*
    Voucher: 5% Discount [£8.10] (You-At-Work scheme: Only use if applicable to you!)
    Quidco: 3.5% Cashback
    Total Price: £165.87

Choices UK [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*

Templegames [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*
    Quidco: 4% Cashback
    Total Price: £172.79

Direct4Games [£169.99] *Need to create account to see if they are taking Orders*
    Total Price: £164.89

Direct4Games are listed as charging £2 Delivery, not confirmed...

Creative Consoles [£179.99] *Not showing on site as of yet*

LewieP on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Amazon are not showing as taking pre-orders for me.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rami wrote:
    Amazon are not showing as taking pre-orders for me.

Ooh, they have appeared to have taken them down. I'll leave the link there, incase it goes back up soon. cheers for the heads up.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    colours were chosen fora purple background, this should be easier to read

I can not make out the green at all.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rook wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    colours were chosen fora purple background, this should be easier to read

I can not make out the green at all.

ok, I'll change them all to plain, I just thought it would be easier, I guess its now :wink:

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't know if this applies to just the Uk but if you are a student and you are looking for a new mac go to an apple store and aswell as offering the student discount on the machines and the huge rebate if you buy an ipod together but they are also slashing 75% off the 3 year applecare service for the macbooks imacs and above.

So a £199 applecare is around £51 if bought with a new mac for students.

Also Gamestation are taking pre-orders on the Wii until thursday, £20 deposit

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Hmmm, no details of how you cancel.

That could be difficult and finicky.

But then £10 wavebird....

I signed up for a subscription before (Unfortunately it was before they started offering Wavebirds. I got Pikmin 2 instead).

There was a problem with the direct debit, so I emailed them and told them to cancel the subscription (I hadn't received any of the magazines, so I didn't pay them any money). The thing is, they'd already sent out my free gift, so I got it without having to go through with the subscription.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    UK - Wii console plus Rayman Raving Rabids, Super Monkey Ball: banana blitz and extra Wii remote £319.00 delivered

Vouchers
    ZG0333 - £30.00 off
    XX066 - 20% off
    (these stack)

order through quidco and get a even more off

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Wii console plus Red Steel and Tonk Hawks downhill jam works out as £201.20 after discount
    Wii console plus Zelda: twilight princess works out as £177.20 after discount

same vouchers as before, these ones were hidden

LewieP on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    A delightful piece of electronics that no man should be without, with a screen and form factor leagues ahead of the GBA SP

Why must you turn this thread into a house of lies? It has a brighter, yet way too small screen. The SP pans it in every other area. The backlit SP (which I keep meaning to buy so I can case-swap my Zelda SP) is the ultimate GBA encarnation.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    LewieP wrote:
    Wii console plus Red Steel and Tonk Hawks downhill jam works out as £201.20 after discount

The 20% off one doesnt work, says it is only good for the first order, even though I just signed up to the site.

Azrael on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Azrael wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

The 20% off one doesnt work, says it is only good for the first order, even though I just signed up to the site.

Neither seemed to work for me. Think I'll just get them from HMV; a shade under £200 for the Wii and Zelda with my shiny 10% student discount, plus I suppose I get about £10 off the next game with their stupid games reward card.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    HMV's card is pretty good I think.

And the £30 littlewoods voucher doesnt work if you want to pay by card, you need to pay through thier own scheme, so fuck them.

Azrael on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited September 2006
    Paul_IQ164 wrote:

Neither seemed to work for me. Think I'll just get them from HMV; a shade under £200 for the Wii and Zelda with my shiny 10% student discount, plus I suppose I get about £10 off the next game with their stupid games reward card.

I have a Play preorder - but I will probably try buying from woolworths or some other forgotten shop when the day comes then cancel. As play will take ages.

If I get one. £180 is so much more than it should have been :(

But important point HMV does not offer student discount on hardware so no 10% off for you.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Paul_IQ164 wrote:

I have a Play preorder - but I will probably try buying from woolworths or some other forgotten shop when the day comes then cancel. As play will take ages.

If I get one. £180 is so much more than it should have been :(

But important point HMV does not offer student discount on hardware so no 10% off for you.

You should still get reward points on it though, and with big new releases they will probably put bonus points on it.

Azrael on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    managed to pick up 7 games by spending about £30 in Gamestation today.

Got-
    Star Wars: Battlegrounds and Hitman Contracts in a "two-for £20" deal
    Pro-Evo 4 for about £3

then went and looked at the MegaDrive section, which they'd just restocked.
    got Flashback, Syndicate, Primal Rage and Streetfighter 2 Special Championship Edition for £7 total.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.