As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rank's sketchdump - two new pieces p10

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    awesome

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Animator's Workbook?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    not sure what you mean by that question

I don't have a book called "the animator's workbook", no

I have a great one called "The Animator's Survival Guide" by Richard Williams, which is amazing

but I don't know what you're asking here

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    (Speaking of "The Animator's Workbook", the author, Tony White, is an instructor and the head of the Animation Program at my school.)

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LinkWorshiperLinkWorshiper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HAHA OMG, your cycles had Richard Williams stamped all over them; it doesn't surprise me for a second that you were working off that book. I do wish the cycles ran a bit longer, though; it's hard to get a good look at them in only five seconds. Not to mention stupid YouTube isn't exactly frame friendly so I can't really check out your keys. They look pretty good, though I think the walk is a bit stronger than the run. Though with that catchy music you stuck on, perhaps there should be a bit more snap to it, especially in the knee =P

LinkWorshiper on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    (Speaking of "The Animator's Workbook", the author, Tony White, is an instructor and the head of the Animation Program at my school.)

You, sir, go to DigiPen. I thought these exercises looked familiar. I'm second year myself in the BFA.

Nice jobs on the animations. The run is solid. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread than.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn son, are you doing all your animation on ones? Good animation looks good on twos too :)

I like the hip and foot action a lot in your walk. The fingertip arcs don't seem to be correctly cushioned. On a walk like yours, it's more important to think in terms of offsetting the wrist action than in terms of breaking joints (save that type of stuff for more solid areas like the elbow).

Your run is cool. The hips don't seem to have any translation in the up axis, but that's a choice you made, it seems. Personally, I'd dip the hips more to get more of a feeling of weight in it, but it's so damn fast that it might not look good.

One thing I'm wondering about is your choice to have a key with stepping foot straight out. It seems to me more that casual slow walks get the front leg straight, whereas harder runs don't really ever lock the knees (if they do, they do it during the "hang time" that you'd get in more of a slower run). Looks like you switched them.

Great stuff man.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    huh, interesting thoughts. Thanks, guys.

Just finished an agonizing effects in-between assignment, and get to start on my final for the semester, a lift-and-throw. Looking forward to it, I really enjoy the character animation stuff far more than this effects stuff.

I appreciate the comments, I'm trying to keep conscious of things like the details you mentioned, but a lot of it is all my first time so its all about experimenting and trying things, seeing what works and what doesn't. With the break-neck pace they have us on, it's tough to find the time to go back and refine.

here's a quick sketch I did at a local museum for an art history field trip essay, from Tip Toland's sculpture Dive.

dive.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A picture for my final project for one of my classes. Thrown together way too quickly, ended up with a bunch of problems, especially in the top floor. Should have done a three-point perspective and planned it more carefully, but I still kinda like it.

Pagoda_final.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    self portrait I did as my portrait for art 101

blue india ink and orange watercolor

Self_Portrait_Final.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Leaps and bounds dude. Keep up the hard work!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    god damn that is a killer portrait.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    thanks, guys

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    here's a picture I did for a gift for my grandfather. Best picture I could get, was fighting the glare and didn't want to take it out of the frame. I'm going to have to get a better one sometime, though.

cowboy2.jpg

red and green india ink, with black ink and white watercolor to create highlights and tones, on chipboard.

also, this is a project for my tone, color and comp class. The box itself and the ring is pretty much done, but the background needs a loooot of work.

skullring1.jpg

more detail on the part I actually like

skullring_detail.jpg

finally have a camera, so I'll likely be uploading a SHITLOAD more stuff soon, including some amazingly rad assignments for my tone, color and comp class and my anatomy class.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's good to see you back! That gift for your grandpa looks very nice, you should be really proud of that.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    been a while since I've updated. Got a camera, one of these days I'll get around to shooting a ton of stuff, but here's a two hour drawing I did for class earlier today that I really like.

three_toy_still_life.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Was this from still life? I like the shading, but the characters themselves have perspective issues, the bottoms not quite matching up with each other or the table.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    the top left corner feels like graphic, flat space - because it's basically a "unconsidered" void, it flattens out the entire drawing and fucks with your sense of three-dimensionality. it also means that there's a confusion of scale.

but i'm only saying that because you asked me for feedback - i really enjoy your rendering here, and the forms feel solid. I'd say that you could some highlights because you really only have darks and mids, but that's probably because it's a camera picture instead of a scan.

well done, man. it's staggeringly obvious how much you've improved, and it's all the result of hard work. good job.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's desolate.

Three companions in a vast emptiness.

I think Synth and Orik have pretty much covered what I would have suggested.

Damn, I need to do more still lifes.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thanks, guys

yeah, there are perspective issues, and the two corners were drawn in as an afterthought to add some context to the composition. I really hate teh distortion the camera added, but that can't be fixed at the moment. And the bad white balance doesn't help either. But this was more an exercise in tonal rendering, and I had to use a dark, midtone and light object, and I really like the ones I chose - they're friendly and inviting into the picture.

the back end of the duck should have been cheated a little to add a little more form, it was in full cast shadow, but a little bit of light would have helped keep it from getting flat. I did another in class today that didn't come out quite as nice, but i was trying some other things with the pencil to add down tone faster, and I wasn't real happy with the result.

if nothing else, it was a real nice chance to get to focus on one drawing for a couple hours instead of scrambling through dozens a day.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DatBoiDrewDatBoiDrew Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    from the early work to the latest self portrait, your work has leaped greatly. keep up the great work

DatBoiDrew on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DatBoiDrew.com to view my artwork!!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ajbnsvPjs

a quadruped walk cycle I finished today for my ANI151 class

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    under_the_bed.jpg

one of my drawings for my life drawing midterm.

spent way too long on it, I still have another to do like this of hands, plus one line drawing and one cross contour drawing of hands and feet each, plus three drawings for my Tone, Color and Composition class due this week, but I thought I'd share. Looking at it here it makes me wince, but on paper it looks a lot more forgivable.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I find it really hard to do justice in photos/scans to traditional media.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    considering I just snapped that in my living room while leaning it against a soda can, it doesn't bother me too much

I was referring more to seeing something on a monitor rather than on a piece of tangible paper - the eye tends to be a bit more forgiving

plus, looking at some pixels ain't nearly the same as charcoal on textured paper

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    [Our] Left leg looks broken because of the bend of the line. Also, the toe doesn't exactly fit the plane of the carpet.

Nice idea though, Rank.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I fought that damn bend line like crazy

I used a picture of my feet for a ref and fuck my toes bend really, really weird

but yeah, that's the biggest thing I can't get over

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I fought that damn bend line like crazy

Not crazy enough. o_O

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah thanks chief

that's constructive

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It looks like a dude painted his legs silver before going to bed. Think first in two values, then go from there. Also, maybe put down the stub or whatever you are using to smudge so much. A stub or excessive smudging is an indication of poor understanding and confidence. You should be able to resolve your transitions in form without them, and you will be forced to think more about the subtleties without smudging.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ajbnsvPjs

a quadruped walk cycle I finished today for my ANI151 class

The hind legs, particularly the right one, flick out way too much at the end. Yeah you do see dogs doing that in faster movements, but in this one I'm not sure it works.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    cake - thanks, man. I've been really over-emphasizing value patterns lately, and need to ease back into subtlety. Its a bad habit, and one I'm trying to get away from, but I've got a tough time working in such a limited value set and still getting the form to come out. I think part of the issue is working on a toned medium and working with white and black charcoal, which I'm unfamiliar with and which tends to lend itself to large disparities in value - it's tough to let yourself use the value of the material as the base instead of wanting to do it yourself. And as for the smudging, I jsut picked up the technique doing a study of Prudhon, and am trying to figure out how he did it - I was enamored by the technique, but god damn it's tough to get it to work right.

I'll keep your advice in mind, though, and appreciate the thoughts.

Synth - yeah, there's a bunch of problems with that. The floppy feet for sure, as well as the fact that he barely bends his knees at all. I should have spent more time researching, but quadruped walks are so damn complicated as it is, it was all I could do to get that much together in time to submit. I learned a ton from that first attempt though. Thanks.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You should just have taken a dog for a walk. :D

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You should just have taken a dog for a walk. :D
    man I wish I had a dog so much

tiny apartment, and we're never home

all I got is my two kitties, and they're totally my awesome buddies, but fuck if I can get them to do anything I want, let alone walk in a straight line for me

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The big toe (on his right foot -- the one on the ground) is HUUUGE.

acadia on
  • Options
    Publius Aelius HadrianusPublius Aelius Hadrianus Permanently bland Seattle, Washington Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    gross is that Tom's toothpaste? Otherwise nice work.

Publius Aelius Hadrianus on
    2dk9ta8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    three more pictures for my life drawing midterm

two to go

smoke.jpg

revolt.jpg

feet.jpg

shitty cell phone pics, but whatever

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you supposed to be doing these all at once or did you just procrastinate?

Godfather on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ooooh, those ink smudges suck, don't they

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Ooooh, those ink smudges suck, don't they
    god damn it I am so upset with those

fucking quill pen

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png