As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

**PRE-PAX 2008 DINNER: THANKS AND AFTERMATH**

• MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky and some other CCST'ers are coming. I'm sure most of them knew about it, but a lot of them are too tired to leave their hotels after the trip.

he wasn't there!

He was too there, I even got one of his buttons.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I totally missed Moe! =( =( Moooooooeeeeeeeeeeee!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Me, too. Maybe he'll be at the Breakfast?

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mystral721 wrote: »

Me, too. Maybe he'll be at the Breakfast?

I believe he was helping out or something at first, because he was just barely eating when the keynote finished... maybe you guys were looking for him before??

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • MacCartneyMacCartney Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah.. for people who did see moe, which of his buttons did you get?

MacCartney on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got regular Moe =(

tr0tsky on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regular.

I need yours too Tr0tsky.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regular.

I need yours too Tr0tsky.

same here lol, i never found Trotsky at the dinner

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MacCartneyMacCartney Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, i got regular to. =/

MacCartney on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got normal moe too... I wonder what the other one looks like

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky and some other CCST'ers are coming. I'm sure most of them knew about it, but a lot of them are too tired to leave their hotels after the trip.

he wasn't there!

He arrived really late in the last hour. And I got his bizzaro button! BIZARRO!

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    I didn't run into Moe at the dinner (I don't know how I missed him!), but I did happen to run into him on the street! =) Hopefully we'll run into each other again! =)

VThornheart on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    V, we have to co-ordinate a place for our epic duel.
    Seriously, I have my Saren mask sitting around, and I need to do something with it.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
    edited August 2008
    Oh, aye! We didn't run into each other yesterday! I was doing cookie brigade pretty much all day long, so if you weren't in the expo hall we probably wouldn't have run into each other. I'm going to try and actually go to a couple of things and do some freeplay today though, so I should have more time =)

Indeed, Saren, it will be on. =)

VThornheart on
  • HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome dinner guys! It made a great start to an awesome first PAX :D Got a head start on the button trading, got tr0tsky's communist Canada pin(Hint: Choose his left hand :P). I got to chat with Eric, Eric, Misty, and Dylan. Having trouble remembering forum names to match those names, but you guys were really cool to hang out and talk with.

Can't wait till next years!

Hammy on
  • Agent.NihilistAgent.Nihilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

he wasn't there!

He arrived really late in the last hour. And I got his bizzaro button! BIZARRO!

You thought I was Moe! :P.
    The pre-dinner rocked. I definatly look forward to coming again next year.

Agent.Nihilist on
    <rintaro> Maybe "Coke" doesn't like postings about "Pepsi" on their website?
    <--- Is not Moe
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How much food was donated to the homeless shelter?

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited September 2008
    Aye, the dinner was really an incredible event! Woooooot! What a great time!

VThornheart on
  • AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    How much food was donated to the homeless shelter?

There was a backseat full of food driven to the shelter. It was allot.

Had a great time at the dinner. Pictochat was allot of fun. I'm still pretty bummed, though, because the tsecond touch screen on my DS is STILL not working. I called Nintendo cust service, and they're sending me a replacement DS. Nice guys, really.

Speaking of the keynote, who was that guy? His eyebrows and hair were AMAZING!!!! I think I saw him drop one eyebrow below his chin for efffect. I'm pretty sure it was hovering right around his neck while he was talking about his early days as a geme dev. And that hair!!!! Perfect.

After the dinner, I rode back to the convention center in a car full of local dudes I didn't know. I had some dudes ass stabbing my kidneys the whole way, and was never happier :)

Aliasunknown on
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll post a separate wrap up of the Pre-PAX 2008 dinner in a few days. It's going to be a big post, so I want to make sure everything is settled before I do so. Thank you to everyone I met, everyone who purchased a ticket, everyone who volunteered, and everyone who supported this event. We'll definately be doing it again next year. Did I mention this is the best community ever? :)

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I feel bad. I kinda ditched out on cleaning up, though I did help set up.

I pitched in. No worries.
    Speaking of the keynote, who was that guy?

Chris Taylor

Blain on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was wondrous, thank you so much for organising it!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did anyone get any video of my Hi5 with Chris?

LewieP on
  • Agent.NihilistAgent.Nihilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty damn sure we did.
    as well as Chris threatening to get our camera tape ^.^

Agent.Nihilist on
    <rintaro> Maybe "Coke" doesn't like postings about "Pepsi" on their website?
    <--- Is not Moe
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Astayonix wrote: »
    I'll post a separate wrap up of the Pre-PAX 2008 dinner in a few days. It's going to be a big post, so I want to make sure everything is settled before I do so. Thank you to everyone I met, everyone who purchased a ticket, everyone who volunteered, and everyone who supported this event. We'll definately be doing it again next year. Did I mention this is the best community ever? :)

That sounds awesome!

I have updated my signature for 2009 since the 2008 Pre-PAX Dinner is over.

I had a lot of fun helping ElectricTurtle and Astayonix with the dinner and it seems like I have become way
    more popular (or loved?) because of my efforts. I did not expect that at all and it makes me all misty eyed
    just thinking about it.

I tried to warn ElectricTurtle about my greatness way back on 5-19-2008 in my volunteer sign up message:
    Forum handle: mentok1982
    My real name: Steve McBarnes
    Email: redacted
    Cell Phone: redacted
    Link to my picture: http://media.steampowered.com/steamc...76743_full.jpg
    My Hotel: The Executive Hotel Pacific
    Special Considerations: I am very awesome. You better prepare yourself...

I am sure he will be ready for me next year... 8-)

Luv,
    mentok1982
    Catering Czar

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited September 2008
    lol, you ARE indeed awesome Mentok! It was great having you on the tour and the dinner, and hanging out with you throughout! =)

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    I can attest to that awesomeness. I like the sig too.

Next year the dinner will have its own buttons. That's going to be hot. I'm sure we'll have special ones for volunteers too.

If there's anything I learned about the volunteering system this year, it's that when you have a plan for assigning people to shifts and locations, actually try to act on that plan. More than the A/V failures, that's probably my most glaring fault and/or lapse of competence. When I hit the beachhead there at the NRB, I completely forgot about how I was going to assign people. As a consequence, the only way I could get anything done was by polling the room and potentially putting some people under greater burdens than others.

Of course all this and more will be discussed after Astayonix and myself have our debriefing meeting. Some kind of wrap up post will be generated from that.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Of course all this and more will be discussed after Astayonix and myself have our debriefing meeting. Some kind of wrap up post will be generated from that.

Looking for clarifcation. Just you and her, or do you want to include volunteers?

Even if you have a meeting with just your wife, maybe you could have a second meeting with your volunteer staff.

I am currently ready (software installed, have account) for voice chat through:

GoogleTalk

I am currently ready (software installed, have account) for text chat through:

AIM
    MSN
    Yahoo!
    PAX IRC
    GoogleTalk

mentok1982 on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Looking for clarifcation. Just you and her, or do you want to include volunteers?

Even if you have a meeting with just your wife, maybe you could have a second meeting with your volunteer staff.

Are you asking if you and/or others can "debrief" his wife? For shame!

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    I hadn't originally planned to include the volunteers because I didn't think they'd want the hassle. I'll talk to Astayonix about ways, means, timing, etc. and get back to you.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it was great fun! Mentok is more than awsome, next year I know, buy ticket WAY in advanced

And if someone come up with a cool design and the organizers are cool with it I would be more than happy to buy like 10-15 PAX 09 (*in small print but dinner*) enforcer shirts?

I would be more than happy to help again, it was pure fun, great food, great speaker, good ds signal and buttons!!!!!

s7arbuck on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty damn sure we did.
    as well as Chris threatening to get our camera tape ^.^

the hell are you talking about? I'm gonna have to watch it later and see if what you say is true...
    Though I'm sure we did get the hi5

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Did anyone get any video of my Hi5 with Chris?

I have a picture either right before or after the second ^5

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    Final "Thank You"s: Overall, it was a pretty successful evening! :) A big thanks to all the volunteers who helped with setup and tear-down - we couldn't have done it without you! I'd also like to give a big thanks to Bawls for donating some of their product to the dinner, all the developers who came (Kim Swift of Valve, the kickass hoard from BioWare, and our keynote speaker Chris Taylor of Gas Powered Games), and of course all 194 of YOU for coming! 8-)

The Aftermath: Thanks to your enthusiasm and generosity, we were able to deliver 5 gainormous pans of leftovers to Harrington House (a shelter for battered women and their children). ElectricTurtle and I carried in the good while the little tykes peered down the stairs and their mothers plated up food for them. One very little one came down the stairs and whispered a shy "Thanks" after grabbing some garlic bread. The coordinator at Harrington House wanted me to pass on her gratitude to the PA Forums community. These families were able to enjoy a delicious hot meal thanks to your incredible magnanimity. While we didn't reach the 200 participants needed to break even, we did get a lot of wonderful gifts from individuals at the dinner. The result is that NOT ONLY were we able to break even, but we will be donating $250 to Child's Play Charity as a result of the Pre-PAX 2008 Dinner, so thank you very much! Another PAX-mas miracle made possible by you guys!

Watch Your Inboxes: We'll be sending out a survey to attendees asking for assessments and suggestions for next year's Pre-PAX 2009 Dinner! If you feel so inclined, please fill it out. It helps us tailor the event to you guys and helps us in our decision-making process. Every completed survey will be seriously considered. Tell us what you liked, what you didn't, suggestions, etc. It's all welcome.

In conclusion, thank you all! It's been a long, hard road, but we made it, and we'll be there to do it all over again next year. Why? Because we're effin crazy! Crazy about the PA Forum community. :) ElectricTurtle and I hope to see ALL OF YOU next year at the Pre-PAX 2009 Dinner! :twisted:

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited September 2008
    Astayonix wrote: »
    ElectricTurtle and I hope to see ALL OF YOU next year at the Pre-PAX 2009 Dinner! :twisted:

You should update your signature for 2009 then...

:P

mentok1982 on
    edited September 2008
    LAWL! :) You silly goose!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited September 2008
    The Pre-PAX Dinner was amazing this year, definitely one of my groups biggest highlights of PAX08. We were glad to get there early and help out with the setup process. You guys did an amazing job putting everything together, we really look forward to next year!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have to say I had an amazing time at the dinner. It was some damn good food. Plus it gave me the opportunity to put a face on so many people from the forum. I thought the guy in the suit was someone from a game company until I just read it was That__Guy. I shouldn't have drank before hand though because I just sat in my chair the whole time. Haha.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Agreed so hard, the Dinner improved the rest of PAX for me by like 50%.

Just bumping into people randomly, that I wouldn't have met before if not for the dinner, around PAX was great.

LewieP on
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Agreed so hard, the Dinner improved the rest of PAX for me by like 50%.

Just bumping into people randomly, that I wouldn't have met before if not for the dinner, around PAX was great.

Yeah that helped a lot for us too, we kept running into Blain and VT, probably a hundred times, and if we never went to the Dinner, we never would have known them or anybody.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
This discussion has been closed.