As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MiniPhalla] Thief of Time Discphalla, GAME OVER: Apocralypse Now

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    IN OTHER NEWS, I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE ANY ACTIONS. I DON'T WANT TO PRESSURE ANYONE, BUT I AM TRYING TO WORK ON THE NARRATION AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN ADVANCE SO THAT THERE IS NOT TOO MUCH OF A DELAY. I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO SEND ME ACTIONS NOW, JUST THAT THE LATER I GET THEM, THE LATER THE NARRATION WILL BE UP.

Quoth on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    !Zot I guess. I love how the previous page has more drama than the rest of the game put together. And it's two people posting.

Cynic Jester on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is enough for me that
    1)FreeAgent and Zot were clearly connected
    2) The bad guys killed freeAgent.

!vote JoshuaESQ

durax on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Even if we lose, this game was loads of fun. Got me reading pratchett again, at the very least (Men at Arms)

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Night 6

"Is everyone here?" War asked.

"Yes," Famine replied, stuffing half of a salad cream sandwich in his mouth.

"Hurr," Pestilence wheezed, coughing up a green glob of phlegm.

"INDEED."

"This won't take long, will it? My wife wants me back before supper," War said nervously.

"IT WILL BE BUT THE WORK OF A MOMENT."

"Where's your sword, Death?" asked Famine, only it came out more like "Urz ur or ef?"

Death turned his eyeless gaze toward Famine. "I LENT IT TO SOMEONE. I EXPECT IT WILL BE RETURNED SOON."

"Well, I suppose we'd best get going then," War said.

"WE ARE WAITING FOR ONE MORE."

"One more what? We're the Four Horsemen of the Apocralypse, aren't we?" asked Famine. Just as the words left his mouth, another figure arrived wielding a giant sword that was shrouded in cold vapor.

"RIGHT ON TIME, AS USUAL, KAOS."

"It's Chaos now," Ronnie Soak grinned. "Got to keep up with the times, you know. Butterfly effect, fractals, all that stuff."

"Hey, who invited him?" Famine said.

"Oh, come off it," War said. "Lets let bygones be bygones, eh?"

"NO BETTER TIME TO BURY DIFFERENCES THAN THE END OF TIME."

"Must we do this?" Pestilence whined.

"UNLESS THEY ARE STOPPED, IT IS THE ONLY THING WE CAN DO."

Tick

Mr White was taking out his frustration on the unfortunate Mr Beige when Miss Taupe approached him.

"It is almost time," Miss Taupe said.

"Excellent," said Mr White. He stopped punching Mr Beige in the ear just before the expired Auditor vanished.

"So soon?" asked Jeremy Clockson. He had been getting steadily more nervous as the night had progressed, and he hadn't seen Myria in ages. He wanted her to be there when the clock started.

"We have you to thank, clockmaker," Mr White said. "Your invention will make everything simple. Clean. Uniform and unchanging. Uncluttered by the organic margin of error that always complicates the stability of the universe."

"But... but it's just a clock!" Jeremy stuttered. "A glass clock! It just tells time!"

"No," Mr Green said, shaking his head. "It does much more than that."

Mr White leaned toward Jeremy and patted him condescendingly on the head. "It does not tell time, it traps time."

"What, all of it?" Jeremy gasped. "But... but..."

"No time for buts," Miss Tangerine said. "No time for anything else, really."

"I wouldn't be so sure," a voice chimed in from the back of the room. The few remaining Auditors parted to show Susan Sto Helit standing with Lu Tze and Myria LeJean, wielding a sword that seemed to cut the individual molecules in the air as she brandished it menacingly.

"Myria!" Jeremy yelped. She smiled at him briefly, then turned her attention back to Mr White.

"This should not be done," Myria said. "We... I... like it here. I like organs. I like chocolate. I will not allow this."

"And how will you stop us?" Mr White sneered.

"Well, now that we've dispensed with the charade, I imagine it will be something like this," Susan said. And with that, she swung at Miss Taupe, slicing her open from neck to navel. Miss Taupe barely had time to gasp before disappearing in a spray of blood.

"You would imagine that, wouldn't you?" Mr White said. "The only problem is... you're too late."

Ti

Maximus - Mr Beige - Fisted
    Durax - Miss Taupe - Disembowelled

Cold Salmon and Hatred - Jeremy Clockson - Frozen in time

Quoth on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    it appears time has run out for me

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited June 2008
    FUCK YA

SUCK IT HUMANS

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the fun phalla, Quoth.

I'd really like to know who the hell the leader of the Auditors was.

Fembot on
    edited June 2008
    that's the stupidest fucking thing

all you had to do was survive until today?

that's retarded, there's still several humans out there, and I died

this ending was idiotic

I was on your side by the way Auditors, thanks for just fucking me in the ass

(phalla was good though quoth, I just have a lot of stuff I want clarified)

edited June 2008
    that's the stupidest fucking thing

all you had to do was survive until today?

that's retarded, there's still several humans out there, and I died

this ending was idiotic

I was on your side by the way Auditors, thanks for just fucking me in the ass

I would actually call it a tie, because no one technically fulfilled their win conditions.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    what were the win conditions quoth?

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    so in other words everyone wins

but me and FreeAgent

and Red Bird I didn't lie once to you

not once

edited June 2008
    The win conditions were for the Auditors to eliminate the opposing humans, but unfortunately the win condition for the opposing humans was to eliminate the five head Auditors. In retrospect, these were probably stupid win conditions. This is my first game, so I blame myself for being stupid. If there is another Phalla Awards, I will probably get "Stupidest Win Condition Ever" to put up on my mantle.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    I actually had the narration all but done, and I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out how to end things in a fair way because of how it all went down. :(

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    the only fair way is to have me be the sole winner

god I feel hurt

I made this big special clock for you and you go and kill me

:(

edited June 2008
    Five head auditors: Red Bird (vig), Durax (seer), Devoutly Apathetic (Guardian), Mr. Defecation (patriot, or sacrificial guardian, whatever), and who else?

Five head humans?

That does seem unbalanced. The moment the guardian networks with any other special, its almost over unless the humans get lucky and hit the guardian.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Meanwhile, here are the role PMs:

Auditor_of_Reality.jpg

You are Mr Green! As an Auditor, you are charged with the task of ensuring that time is successfully stopped. Unfortunately, there are feeble humans out there trying to stop you, so you have to stop them first. You must get rid of all those who would stand in your way.

You don't enjoy killing; you prefer to keep your eyes open and watch the backs (and fronts and sides) of your fellow Auditors. Once per day, you can protect another character from the cunning attacks of your enemies.

Every day, you must !vote for someone to be kicked out of the museum and arrested by the Watch. The clock is ticking. You want to be there when it stops. Forever.

H4197.jpg

You are Susan Sto Helit! Governess, pragmatist, and the reluctant granddaughter of Death (yes, THE Death), you have been called to once again save the world from the clutches of evil. This time, fortunately, you have some assistance from the History Monks Lu Tze (Fembot) and Lobsang Ludd (Lignisse). You have also recruited the first Auditor to become corporeal, who calls herself Myria LeJean (Cynic Jester).

Your goal is to get rid of the Auditors who are in charge of this latest scheme: Mr White, Mr Green, Miss Taupe and Miss Tangerine. On every even day, you can attack another character in your quest to kill those nasty Auditors--or at least, to deprive them of their corporeal bodies so they can't do anything but watch from the sidelines. On every odd day, you can track the actions of another player to see what they did.

The clock is ticking. You want to be sure that it doesn't stop. Forever.

Auditor_of_Reality.jpg

You are Miss Taupe! As an Auditor, you are charged with the task of ensuring that time is successfully stopped. Unfortunately, there are feeble humans out there trying to stop you, so you have to stop them first.

You don't enjoy killing; you prefer to keep your eyes open and observe the crowd that has gathered in the museum to see if you can spot the humans. Once per day, you can seer another character to find out who they are.

Every day, you must !vote for someone to be kicked out of the museum and arrested by the Watch. The clock is ticking. You want to be there when it stops. Forever.

Auditor_of_Reality.jpg

You are Myria LeJean! Once, you were just like your Auditor brethren, bent on destroying the chaotic universe that it might be returned to harmonious emptiness. However, you were the first Auditor to be given a body, and you decided that you like having it thank you very much.

Your new goal is to get rid of the Auditors who are in charge of this latest scheme so that you can continue to enjoy the bliss that is corporeal existence. And by bliss, we mean chocolate.

On every odd day, you can attack another character in your quest to kill those who would deprive you of your body. On every even day, you can track the actions of another player to see what they did. You are assisted in your quest by Susan Sto Helit (Edcrab), Lu Tze (Fembot) and Lobsang Ludd (Lignisse).

Auditor_of_Reality.jpg

You are Miss Tangerine! As an Auditor, you are charged with the task of ensuring that time is successfully stopped. Unfortunately, there are feeble humans out there trying to stop you, so you have to stop them first. You must get rid of all those who would stand in your way.

Unfortunately for you, Mr White has a nasty habit of putting you between him and peril, so the first time that someone tries to kill him, they'll get you instead.

200px-TempleFugate.jpg

You are Jeremy Clockson! One minute you're fixing watches, the next you're being paid to create the perfect clock. And you succeeded!

Unfortunately, if your clock starts working then time will stop and the universe will essentially be destroyed. You don't know this yet, though, so your only goal at this point is to survive to see your brilliant invention come to life. However, if both you and your long-lost twin Lobsang Ludd survive to Day 4, then you will gain the ability to guard one player per night, and your new goal will be to get rid of the leaders of the Auditors before time literally runs out.

You are aided by your loyal assistant, Igor (FreeAgent).

225px-Igor_-Paul_Kidby-.jpg

You are Igor! Well, one of them anyway. You went to work for Jeremy Clockson (Cold Salmon and Hatred) and helped him create his perfect clock, which will unfortunately doom the universe if it ever starts working. You don't know this, though, so your only goal at this point is to survive to see the invention work.

However, if your master and his long-lost twin are reunited, then your new goal will be to help get rid of the leaders of the Auditors before time literally runs out.

220px-Discworld-Lu-Tze-Janet-Chui.jpg

You are Lu Tze! Rule number 1 is "Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man," and you are that little bald wrinkly smiling man.

You are not actually a History Monk, but "merely" a sweeper at the Monastery of Oi-Dong. However, you have learned as much about the nature of time as some of the higher monks simply by tidying up the classrooms.

You and your apprentice Lobsang Ludd (Lignisse) must help Susan Sto Helit (Edcrab) get rid of the leaders of the Auditors before time literally runs out. You have also recruited the first Auditor to become corporeal, who calls herself Myria LeJean (Cynic Jester).

As a sweeper, you have the uncanny ability to get into places without people noticing, allowing you to keep an eye on them. Once per day, you can prevent an attack on one of your allies by being two steps ahead of the attacker, using your uncanny skills in the martial art of deja fu.

Auditor_of_Reality.jpg

You are Mr White! As the second Auditor to become corporeal, you are charged with the task of ensuring that time is successfully stopped.

Unfortunately, there are feeble humans out there trying to stop you, and that makes you angry. So angry you could just beat them to death, which is what you intend to do. You must get rid of all those who would stand in your way. Once per day, you can attack another character until they stop breathing. You are told that this means they have been successfully eliminated.

Pic-1-Monk.jpg

You are Lobsang Ludd! You were saved from falling to your death by a History Monk in Ankh-Morpork, who happened to notice you executing the tricky Stance of the Coyote without any formal training. You were subsequently apprenticed to Lu Tze (Fembot), and now here you are, trying to save the world along with Susan Sto Helit (Edcrab) and Myria LeJean (Cynic Jester).

You must help get rid of the leaders of the Auditors before time literally runs out. Unfortunately, as a mere apprentice, you have no useful abilities whatsoever. However, if both you and Jeremy Clockson survive to day 4, you will unearth an amazing secret: you are actually the son of Time itself! You will gain the ability to kill one target per night.

milkman.png

You are Ronnie Soak! You run a very fine dairy, and you always deliver your milk on time and ice cold. How do you manage? Well, you're actually Kaos, the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse, and word on the street is that the Apocalypse is on its way.

Your only goal is to survive long enough to watch the universe end. However, you can help either side win by using your inherent ability to be anywhere, anytime. Once per day, you can switch the target of one character's action or vote.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    And I meant four, not five. Sorry.

Edit: So now that this is over, aside from establishing that the win condition was broken, any other thoughts and suggestions?

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    The narrations were the best I've seen. Very good at mimicking the discworld style. :^:

The fact that you let me decide how I was going to kill my targets was the icing on the (non-chocolate) cake. I put the fists thing in the first pm as a joke, but when I noticed you included that detail it made my day. Started running out of ideas by the end, but fun while it lasted.

Humans, good job. I feel confidant saying I'm a much better baddie than good guy. I just sort of killed based on hunches that were based on minuscule evidence. If the game had gone on longer, I don't think we would have won (or tied for that matter).

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Excellent narrations, Quoth.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, amazing narrations! Good game, except for the fact maybe that it was nearly impossible for we humans to win? Ah well.

Two things I want to know:

How did the head auditors know to try to kill me night 2? Seering, or dumb luck? Or was I just too suspicious again? What is up with that?

Was Red Bird actually guarded night 3? We weren't sure whether to try killing him or not. We went with not, but I don't know if it was the right move.

Lignisse on
    edited June 2008
    Oh, and the "day 4" thing was a bit confusing. Here we were in the fourth round of chatting with each other and deciding who to kill, and then I find out that even though it's the fourth such interval, it's not actually "day 4" because there's been only three narrations, so Jeremy Clockson and I didn't get to meet up.

Lignisse on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yay! Good narrations Quoth! =)

I had fun, wildly grasping at straws and doing random accusations at people (sorry Toxic Toys!).

I guess I should do less of those random accusations. They have a tendacy to be wrong.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wasn't special. Duh.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was Mr. Yellow and never mattered!
    SUCCESS ON STAYING ALIVE.
    Plus, apologies to Ryadic, I just wasn't ready to die.
    MUWHWAAHAHAHA CHAOS

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    i believe i was guarded every day after i revealed. DA didn't feel there was anyone else who needed guarding (as far as I know)

Lignisse, what made you suspicious was when you and zot voted against each other when there was a strong bandwagon in place. it seemed suspicious; not that it took much to get me to kill, as i was a bit overeager to seize on any excuse for murder.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for a fun, flavorful game Quoth. I'll post more about the design when I'm not so tired. I will note that today was a farce since neither side could win. 4 Auditors needed to die and 3 Humans for either side to claim a win. The game should have ended as a draw yesterday. I mean, I think it's safe to assume the humans who started networked weren't going to kill each other.

Cause I didn't see it yet, proboards.

Really not much to see, aside from a shit load of ado about what turned out to be nothing.

I will note that PolloDiablo did a good seer job and trusted Red Bird when it counted. That's a tough call to make and he turned out to be totally right.

Edit: Red Bird: I guarded Durax the night before the last one since he was exposed to Igor and I was worried about that. After a certain point guarding the mouthpiece isn't always needed. People assume they are being guarded.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited June 2008
    even though i was on the wrong side of the argument with zot today, it was actually lots of fun. i dont think ive ever gotten into a multi-page forum battle before. no hard feelings (i hope).

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    i believe i was guarded every day after i revealed. DA didn't feel there was anyone else who needed guarding (as far as I know)

Lignisse, what made you suspicious was when you and zot voted against each other when there was a strong bandwagon in place. it seemed suspicious; not that it took much to get me to kill, as i was a bit overeager to seize on any excuse for murder.
    Haha, I vote for Zot all the time just because he's a jerk, and he votes for me because he's a jerk also. :lol: It's a thing we do.

Lignisse on
    edited June 2008
    Unless my quick read missed something there really wasn't a "right" side today. Nothing we could do would result in a win and his survival was irrelevant at that point.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Lignisse wrote: »
    Red Bird wrote: »

Haha, I vote for Zot all the time just because he's a jerk, and he votes for me because he's a jerk also. :lol: It's a thing we do.

It was totally fate that you happened to both be special!

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, good game everyone. Very fun Quoth, I really enjoyed the color names and narrations. They seemed to set the right mood for the game. A pity everything went straight to hell once I left and Zot revealed himself. Oh well, there's always a next time. I am pleased to see that I was originally on the right track with Cynic Jester.

Look on the bright side Zot, you survived longer here than in so many other previous games it's ridiculous.

Also, Quoth, is that picture you used for Clockson the Clock guy from Batman? The lawyer who Gordon convinced to get out of his routine, which caused him to be late to trial throwing him into joblessness and insanity?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Yes. Yes it is FreeAgent.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Yes. Yes it is FreeAgent.

I'm not going to lie. I loved that show.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    As do all right thinking people everywhere.

That episode kicked ass because if I recall correctly wasn't he an incredibly inept villain?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Well he certainly wasn't very good. I still feel a bit bad for him, but only because of his misfortune.

Those punk kids messing up his papers... all he wanted to do was have a nice thermos of soup in the park. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it was the papers at all. It might have just been the soup that makes me feel bad about the whole incident.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    oh by the way FreeAgent

you told them that you didn't know anything about me and that's what screwed me over in the end

that and Red Bird is dumb and is actually the first person to ever land on my grudge list in my whole phalla career

edited June 2008
    icon_roll.gif

Eternal Darkness all over again.

FreeAgent: I remember really liking the guy during the beginning then he just goes all crazy and pathetic like.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    oh by the way FreeAgent

you told them that you didn't know anything about me and that's what screwed me over in the end

No I didn't. They never asked me about the clockmaker, so I simply never said anything. I only ever received 3 PMs from the network. The first from durax, telling me he had seered me and asking me if I wanted him to reveal me as Igor to Red Bird.

I told him not to for the time being, but he had already done it, so the next PM was from Red Bird. He asked me for my information, and since I didn't really trust him (with the possibility of rogue agents (durax said he might check on him that night)), I felt it best to just say my role, powers (or lack thereof), and win condition. He told me he was going to keep me out of the network, and he would let me know if they had a target.

Finally, when they began to vote for you very early on, after defending you in thread, I PMed durax, telling him that he should persuade Red Bird to find a different target, since voting for you was a mistake.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    oh by the way FreeAgent

No I didn't. They never asked me about the clockmaker, so I simply never said anything. I only ever received 3 PMs from the network. The first from durax, telling me he had seered me and asking me if I wanted him to reveal me as Igor to Red Bird.

I told him not to for the time being, but he had already done it, so the next PM was from Red Bird. He asked me for my information, and since I didn't really trust him (with the possibility of rogue agents (durax said he might check on him that night)), I felt it best to just say my role, powers (or lack thereof), and win condition. He told me he was going to keep me out of the network, and he would let me know if they had a target.

Finally, when they began to vote for you very early on, after defending you in thread, I PMed durax, telling him that he should persuade Red Bird to find a different target, since voting for you was a mistake.

Oh?

Red Bird said that you had told him that you did not know the clockmaker at all, and it was his reasoning for starting the bandwagon for me

shut the fuck up DA, none of this was my fault.