As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MiniPhalla] Thief of Time Discphalla, GAME OVER: Apocralypse Now

1111213141517»

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh?

Red Bird said that you had told him that you did not know the clockmaker at all, and it was his reasoning for starting the bandwagon for me

A falsehood. I fear I've erased all the PMs, since I only ever have about 2 empty mail slots at any given time, but let me try and recall my responses.

In the first I said something like, "Indeed, I am Igor. My only win condition is to survive, and I unfortunately I have no powers."

He said it sounded legit or some such thing, and that he would keep me out.

To which I replied, "As you will."

And yeah DA, he really just had a meltdown. In all honestly, he really just got unfairly shafted.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The lack of a PM after Lobsang died was a pretty colossal mistake.

If you'd told us who you were before you were being bandwagon'ed we wouldn't have killed you, not after Lobsang died. In all likelihood you'd have been guarded the rest of the game. You really didn't have any reason to not contact the network then aside from your own poor play.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The lack of a PM after Lobsang died was a pretty colossal mistake.

If you'd told us who you were before you were being bandwagon'ed we wouldn't have killed you, not after Lobsang died. In all likelihood you'd have been guarded the rest of the game. You really didn't have any reason to not contact the network then aside from your own poor play.

Listen man

I had FreeAgent in place

I was not expecting him to die

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited June 2008
    No, we found FreeAgent who promptly didn't do anything for you or us. He in fact told us just enough to be incredibly fucking suspicious.

You basically sat back and didn't act until it was too late which is why you died. We all make mistakes and they're not stupid until we refuse to learn from them.

I screwed up by assuming you'd make bare minimum competent play. That was an error and until I see different I'll know not to assume that in the future.

You'll just whine and scream about how I hate you and use that as an excuse to ignore me comments because they bruise your ego. If you really want to know how much I came into this game with an axe to grind ask Quoth who I guarded night 1.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    listen man

I'm not going to be blamed for my own death when someone else fucked it up for me

I did exactly as I thought was right (which was right evidently because I'd bet $50 if I had outed myself the day after Lobsung Ladd died Red Bird still wouldn't have believed me, there was no convincing him no matter what)

edited June 2008
    straight up

the good network was COMPLETELY incompetent other than Durax

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Speaking of which, what ever happened that night I died? Red Bird said he would contact me later with a target or something (not sure what he meant since I didn't have any powers), but I never heard back from anyone. And who ended up killing me (causing me to resign)?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    this has only given me further reminders of why I quit phalla in the first place

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, day 6 drama aside, that was a fun game. Thanks to Quoth for running and doing a pretty brilliant job with the narrations.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had quite a bit of fun. And my very first bandwagon as well! All in all an enjoyable experience.

Marshmallow on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It was a very fun game, even though I died on the first day.

Oats on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I mentioned this elsewhere (and so did others) Quoth, but the highlight of this phalla was definitely your narrations. Top-notch stuff- I'd have read them even if there wasn't a phalla to go with them.

So Red Bird's action PMs actually tied into the narrative? Awesomeness. If I'd been aware, I'd have been more creative with Susan's vig-kills.

As Death's granddaughter (hell yeah, best role I could've hoped for) I had alternating tracking/vig-kills. Tracking a player, for those not in the know, was similar to a seering attempt except you had nothing but the player's actions to go off- you weren't necessarily spoon-fed their identity.

I had a lot of fun, but I think having to wipe out so many "head" auditors was a bit much. Fairly early on we seered DevoutlyApathetic as a guardian, and (correctly) guessed that he'd constantly be shielding Red Bird from harm- of course, we weren't quite sure if he'd count as a leading auditor. Had Lignisse (Lobsang) survived into the appropriate day, we'd have had a daily vig-killer and thus more chance of finishing them off, but even then the odds were stacked against us.

Of course, if you take this ending as a draw, it does make it feel more balanced :P

Either way: write more narratives oh god yes

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was so confused in this game but had fun. I'm glad I had a chance to jump in.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think in future I will stick to narrations and let someone else figure out the mechanics. I tried to base this off Hylianbunny's Teen Titans mini but apparently that didn't work out. Initially I considered having three vig kills plus the vote but figured that would be too much... maybe it would have been better, in retrospect, I'm not sure. But the win conditions were definitely screwy and I take total responsibility for that.

So basically I'm prepared to whore myself out as narration writer to anyone who wants me. I do love writing me some narrations. And I greatly enjoyed incorporating Red Bird's vig kill requests, with the exception of his kill for Lignisse unfortunately. I forget how she was supposed to die.

Quoth on
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Quoth, it made my studying better haha :)

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    So basically I'm prepared to whore myself out as narration writer to anyone who wants me. I do love writing me some narrations. And I greatly enjoyed incorporating Red Bird's vig kill requests, with the exception of his kill for Lignisse unfortunately. I forget how she was supposed to die.

:winky:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »

Quoth on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

:winky:?

Cynic Jester on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

:winky:?
    :winky:.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    Also RED BIRD THE NEXT TIME I HAVE VIG POWERS YOU ARE A DEAD MAN.
    <3

Wildcat on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    oh man enemies
    time to hide

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I have to agree, Quoth, that your narrations were top-notch!

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    Thank you, thank you. I appreciate the kind words all around considering how much I screwed the pooch on this one. Next time, I promise something not broken with extra epic narrations.

Quoth on
    edited June 2008
    What if there is an inverse relationship between narration quality and game balance? If you set up a game with one baddie and 100 villagers (all guardians/seers/vigilantes) you could be the next Shakespeare.

Think of the possibilities!

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    What if there is an inverse relationship between narration quality and game balance? If you set up a game with one baddie and 100 villagers (all guardians/seers/vigilantes) you could be the next Shakespeare.

Think of the possibilities!
    Make all the guardian abilities work on themselves as well and you just might have something....

I'd be curious just how long it'd take for the game to end.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All the phalla's a stage, and all the men and women merely players?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    edited June 2008
    Ay, that way goes the game! With her ability, her vig kill, forsooth, she hath prevailed with him?

Wildcat on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, was Joschua evil? I didn't read through this whole thread after I died.

And for the record, Sloth and I NEVER conspired. I tried sending him a PM after we were accused of it so I could try to work something out to survive, and he never contacted me back.

:(

Bastards. All of you!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No, I wasn't evil. You caught me at a time when I was absolutely not going to be killed, lol. This phalla was the only real fun I was looking forward to every day during some hard studying lol. I'm sorry Ryadic, fwiw. I was simply Mr. Yellow, boring villager. I did RP myself pretty insane tho by the end MUWHAHAHAHA.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's ok, I really just thought it was a funny coincidence how TehSloth and I were posting the way we were. I knew the second that was pointed out it looked bad and I was gonna die, which I did.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    JoschuaESQ wrote: »
    No, I wasn't evil. You caught me at a time when I was absolutely not going to be killed, lol. This phalla was the only real fun I was looking forward to every day during some hard studying lol. I'm sorry Ryadic, fwiw. I was simply Mr. Yellow, boring villager. I did RP myself pretty insane tho by the end MUWHAHAHAHA.
    I am so happy you weren't evil. I was arguing on the network boards to not kill you since I alway respect a solid defense from a villager. I would have been very sad had you actually been evil.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Joschua, there were times when I wanted to kill you solely because I could barely parse what your posts were supposed to mean. If you were rping as insane, good job.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    Joschua, there were times when I wanted to kill you solely because I could barely parse what your posts were supposed to mean. If you were rping as insane, good job.

I must remember this tactic.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png