As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Major buyer's remorse goin on

UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought an HP tx2000z and I am less than pleased with it. On paper, the laptop sounds pretty awesome, and all the reviews I read seemed positive. Strangely, none of the problems noted in the reviews are things I really notice, and conversely, none of the problems I'm having are acknowledged.
The battery life, one of my major problems with my previous laptop, is pretty bad (though not as bad as the last one). I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but I doubt it lasts significantly more than two hours in power saving mode.
The graphics performance is horrendous. I know the card (geforce 6150) is definitely not very good, and my expectations were pretty low to begin with. I installed Mount & Blade, which ran pretty badly at even the lowest settings. Guitar Hero 3 (not the best gauge, since it's so badly optimized) was unplayable.
Gaming wasn't the focus of the purchase, but the inability to run anything at all is pretty upsetting.
The tablet works better in Windows Journal than it does in Photoshop, which is odd.

Being somewhat obsessive-compulsive with regards to stickers on laptops, I removed them all upon opening the computer. I doubt returning it is an option, and it should be okay, because my mom expressed interest in it and definitely would not need to have a decent graphics card. Anyway I feel like a dumbass and I guess I need some advice on dealing with this.

tl;dr: I bought a subpar computer and also I am pretty dumb. H-help?

Upfish on

• FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yea, the 6150 is a last generation integrated video card, and will not even render Vista to any pretty advantage. As for the stickers, that would not affect the returning of the laptop, though most places would charge a restocking fee. What you might want to do is talk to the people who you bought it from and see if you can do a exchange, claiming you are very unhappy with the quality of the laptop and would like to upgrade it.

Helpful website for laptop video cards.

Worst case, if your mom does not buy it, you can always sell it on craigslist or ebay.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It might help to know what exactly you put in it, because on that page it appears to come with a X2 dual core. Knowing that, it stuns me that they would put that shitty of a video card in it, because that's the entire problem. Is it too late to get a refund?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    2.00 GHz processor, GeForce 6150, 2G RAM, 250GB HDD.

The graphics card actually was mentioned in the reviews as surprisingly bad, but still. I mean, the computer came with a demo of The Sims Life Stories, and it couldn't even run that without huge stuttering issues. They did not really go into detail as to how bad it is. I assumed that the card would be a little worse than a 6600, which ran FEAR decently on my friend's desktop.

I think the main thing bothering me is that the laptop that I am replacing, which still works pretty well, ran anything and everything I installed on it in at least some capacity. Bioshock, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Crysis. They all ran, albeit at medium-low settings.
    The reason I bought a new computer is because the hinge/frame on the old one is just...fucked. It is literally coming to pieces.

I looked up the return policy, and I have 20 days to think it over. There are a lot of things I like about this computer, but if I can't get used to this graphics problem, then I'll try to send it back.

Thanks again.

Upfish on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's a tablet, which are notoriously difficult to get with decent graphics cards attached to them. There's always the option of an external graphics card though.

Synthetic Orange on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does one get an external graphics card?

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The 6150 is roughly equivalent to a GMA 950, and is in no way comparable to the 6600 (which is not that great, anyway :P). Benchmark results:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-Go-6150.6945.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-Go-6600.2147.0.html

I suggest you check out that site when you're shopping for a replacement. Just looking at a number like "6600" or even "256MB" often doesn't tell you a lot.

|EDIT| And for CPUs:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you can return it, you must return it return it return it return it. Being stuck with a computer you dislike and doesn't suit your usage will drive you up the wall. It would me.

I do stupid amounts of umming-and-arrring before I lay down wads of cash for electronics precisely because they're big and rare purchases and I don't want to make a mistake. Because making a mistake means a few years of dealing with something you're not entirely satisfied with.

desperaterobots on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Take that thing back. If you've had it for roughly 10 days and it won't do anything you want it to do, well, I'd say the decision has been made. No sense keeping it if you don't have to.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've played Hellgate: London, Company of Heroes, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Battlefield 2142, and several others on my Tablet that I got in January. Photoshop works beautifully in it. If you want a portable tablet, I highly recommend that one.

narv107 on