Options

[GAME ON] Chromehounds: Guns with Mech Parts

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    yeah, i just traded mine in yesterday.

now im wondering though, why i feel so ashamed for doing so...

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Im a little late to the party as i just picked up this game yesterday. Only got a 360 a few weeks ago for that matter. Does anyone here still play? I tried joining the Arcadians clan but i when i searched for them in the game, i came up with nothing.

Grimm on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nobody plays this game.
    :(

There aren't enough active members.
    I suggest 360arcadians.net, large group of PAers there with 360s.
    Start a clan and invite us :o

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nobody plays this game.
    :(

There aren't enough active members.
    I suggest 360arcadians.net, large group of PAers there with 360s.
    Start a clan and invite us :o

I would love to join a clan and try this game out online but i dont think im the right person to lead a clan at the moment. Just got the game a couple days ago and with my current work schedule (through the end of the year), i just wouldnt have the time. But if enough people here are interested in getting something going, we'll see what happens.

Grimm on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i have a chance to pick this up for 22 bucks, i rented it and played it for an hour or so and i think that this may be my next purchase, but for the life of me i couldnt connect to a mutliplayer server at all last night.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are the multiplayer servers still borked? I love me some giant shooting robot action but not as much as I hate online play being screwed.

And do any people still play?

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll play if we can get a group of people together again. There were a lot of complaints, so everyone abandoned it after a few weeks.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    KahnindustriesKahnindustries Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm on every night

[spoiler:0bc90ccf6c]Bidding on things in the shop for 3 minutes before playing GOW R6:V and Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiva Piniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiata

Wish my squad still played, i loves this game :([/spoiler:0bc90ccf6c]

Kahnindustries on
    Kahnindustries.gif
    kahnindustries.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I stopped playing because people stopped playing.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Im willing to give it a try. I havnt played all that much so maybe im wrong but it seems you need to play single player first to earn weapons to use online. I only have the basic stuff to work with.

Grimm on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'd definitely play if you guys started a decent sized squad. My squad was already dying by the time I bought the game.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I quit playing when my save game got borked and I lost all my parts and money and I couldnt get back in my squad. That crap should be saved on the server. The game is great but the online support is a damn dog and pony show.

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The negative money issue was also fun. Luckily it only hit some of my squadmates, not me.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You guys still play this? I FINALLY bought the game. Kickass sniper wants in a squad.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have free time this weekend. Do you guys want to form a new squad?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought this game last weekend for 25$, haven't had much time to play, I only tried a quick online free match with a starting soldier mech against another guy that was shooting missles at me, I'm happy I tied the match. I might have time for this this weekend if XNA and GoW don't steal me away first.

Handkor on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    give me till after christmas and ill join a squad. I beat the game when I kept renting it :P. i have a quad mech with 4 rocket launchers. 3 sniper cannons and 2 machine guns plus the free guns from the shop( the dl-ed ones). im pretty much a defender or slow assualt.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    stakylstakyl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    have fun with those double doubles!

stakyl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stakyl wrote:

Double doubles?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    stakyl wrote:

Double doubles?
    Quadruples?

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have free time this weekend. Do you guys want to form a new squad?

sounds perfect for me. i'll try to get some sort of a mech built up over the week so i have something to use by the weekend.

Grimm on
  • Options
    stakylstakyl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Double double.

Someone who uses 2 dual cannon heav arms with inverse legs. It's overpowered to the point where it breaks the online play.

stakyl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well, I guess that means people are innovating beyond the scout/pile clusterfuck. I'm still willing to give it another chance. And besides, we can always play amongst ourselves. You should join us.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, I'm afraid to ask, but does anyone play this anymore?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I kinda do. Picked it up a few weeks back but never really got into it. Im willing to play online if we can get some enough people interested.

Grimm on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    well, that's a start.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    And if so -- have they released or changed anything to make pile-scouts a less effective choice for people? I bought some of the new weapons from the marketplace -- and then never launched Chromehounds, so while I paid real money for the downloads I have never even looked at what I bought.

So people know what we're talking about: I mostly stopped playing because of a specific game balance issue. This may be by design, and maybe the developers want this to stay in, but I don't like it.

There are several kinds of bot chassis in the game, and you place different parts on these chassis. Each chassis can carry a certain maximum weight, and each has a certain movement speed. So as you can imagine, some chassis carry lots of weight and move very slowly, giving you heavily-armed heavily-armored powerhouses that are never positioned where they are needed; and some chassis carry very little weight but move very quickly. We call these fast-but-light chassis "scouts."

The game includes a weapon type called a "pile" -- that's a kind of stabbing weapon that only works in close range. It deals extreme damage. I think the description for that weapon says it's intended to be used by medium-weight bipedal mechs for 'hand to hand combat'.

A strategy was developed where a team would all use scout chassis, and they would arm themselves with only piles. So these scouts were as fast as possible, and they are armed such that they can only attack things they are practically touching.

Most multiplayer games decide wins and losses according to who destroys the opponent's base first. Bases are stationary buildings, and they are very vulnerable to piles. A team of three pile-scouts can rush to an enemy's base, stick to the side (absorbing fire the whole time) and destroy the base in about 10 seconds, if I remember correctly.

Because of the vastly different strategies required to win against a pile scout team, compared with winning against a team that uses some or all ranged weapons and a mix of chassis types, people started to dislike this 'pile scout' configuration.

I think some would even argue that an opponent beating you with a varied team would need to use communication, strategy, and guile, while an opponent beating you with all pile scouts wouldn't need to communicate much at all and could use the same "rush the base at full speed" tactic every time. So this lead many people to dislike players who use pile scouts.

One could say this also added an element of chance to online games which would otherwise depend more upon skill and cunning. A team who wishes to play a game of skill would need to consider using equipment and tactics effective against pile scouts -- taking time to lay mines around the base, and using more short range weapons with lots of punch -- or consider using equipment and tactics effective against non-pile-scout teams. If you equip yourself to fight pile scouts, you will likely be outmatched by the equipment carried by the opposing team, if they didn't spend precious weight and generator capacity on those parts. Similarly if you don't equip yourself to fight pile scouts you are better equipped to win against non-pile-scout teams but you will lose against pile scouts.

I didn't pay $50 to play paper-scissors-rock.

What is this new double-double thing like? Does it seem to create a new strategy, like pile scouts did? Or is this just an optimally-powerful configuration that teams can use to support a variety of strategies?

I still have fond memories of using a heavy/slow mech with a communications module and all long range artillery, and using a carefully-drawn transparency to get precise distance measurements for enemies and bases, to rain down accurate destruction from insane distances. I think this only really paid off in one multiplayer game. The enemy was being cautious and hanging near their base. After several minutes with very little enemy contact, someone got sight of the enemy base location. From "our side" of the map -- across the river and behind many buildings -- I started putting artillery fire ON their base, from nearly the maximum range of the longest-range artillery piece I could buy. That drew the enemies out in a hurry. :-)

[spoiler:478c977f8a]They destroyed us all once they reached us. We lost.[/spoiler:478c977f8a]

Still, the imagined look on their faces must've been priceless. Long-range artillery shots take many seconds to arrive at their target. "Wow, look, artillery. They're just blind firing to draw us out. Hmm, it does seem to be getting kinda close, doesn't it? OH SH---" Especially when consecutive volleys kept landing on their base one after the other. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Three of us picked this one up in the after-Christmas sales. (Many of us just got our xboxes) As best I can tell, the pile-scouts are still strong. In fact, the only people who seem to currently inhabit the game are the worst collection of lamers, griefers and boobs imagineable. I really enjoy the game when we're playing against NPC's, or the very rare times when we face real opponents. Then my friends and I all carefully select mechs designed for a specific purpose, operate as a team and really get into the "feel" of the game.

Then I play against everyone else online and am assailed by nothing but pile-scouts, scouts packing artillery that just rush at you and hit the ground, and artillery snipers who stack spacers six high so they can peer over mountains at you without having to practice aiming with the arty or position themselves through any real effort.

Seems like it was a great game, and still could be if you understand and enjoy that the only effective tactics are the cheesy tactics. However, if, like me, you want to play a fun, well-rounded mech game that fits the spirit of the idea, I don't think you'll enjoy coming back.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have actually yet to see a pile-scout.

Granted, I haven't played online particularly all that much yet.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey guys, no more DD's/QC's/etc really anymore. They nerfed the hell out of them last patch.

Of course, the game is now ChromeKarts, where shotgun scouts rape you and you enjoy it. YOU ENJOY IT OR ELSE.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so what is the status of chromehouds? Is it fun again? Did they ever patch it so you can skip old news?

I

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kinda and no.

IF and when they nerf shotguns, it will be great again. Though even now, its pretty good.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been a fan of Armored Core and MechAssault style games since the first AC and since Chrome Hounds is along those same lines and by now quite cheap, I'm thinking about picking up a copy. My question is really whether or not this game is still played at all?

Since, as I understand it the majority of this game is really meant to be played over Live in a somewhat persistent 'world' against other humans, the presence of other players is sort of key to whether or not I'll really get much enjoyment out of this game.

1. Is the online community still there?
    2. If it's still there, am I way too late to join in on the fun? (would a beginner last more than a few seconds?)
    3. How does the war aspect work? Is it like the failed MechAssault 2 online play where only one side shows up to the 'ready room' and then launches with five to one odds against some guy that drops in? Or does it maybe feel a bit more like the old PlanetSide MMO?

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've been a fan of Armored Core and MechAssault style games since the first AC and since Chrome Hounds is along those same lines and by now quite cheap, I'm thinking about picking up a copy. My question is really whether or not this game is still played at all?

Since, as I understand it the majority of this game is really meant to be played over Live in a somewhat persistent 'world' against other humans, the presence of other players is sort of key to whether or not I'll really get much enjoyment out of this game.

1. Is the online community still there?
    2. If it's still there, am I way too late to join in on the fun? (would a beginner last more than a few seconds?)
    3. How does the war aspect work? Is it like the failed MechAssault 2 online play where only one side shows up to the 'ready room' and then launches with five to one odds against some guy that drops in? Or does it maybe feel a bit more like the old PlanetSide MMO?

You revived a thread over two years old. I imagine that should answer your first two questions.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Actually it was the first thread that came up on the search terms "ChromeHounds." I figured it would just be better to post within an older thread than make a brand spanking new one.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    He means that the last time any of us talked about chromehounds was two years ago. It's safe to say the community has dwindled.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Chromehounds was one beautiful glowing month and then it was gone. I don't know if it was the seredipitous timing of the release or if it was just that good, but the guys at 360arcadians played nothing but for that first month of release. I miss it greatly, still own my copy, but know I can never go back.

The big problem is that in the War mode you can only play with your clan members. Unfortunately there is (was?) a hard cap of 20 members. That's 19 other people in the whole damned world who could possibly fill out your team of up to 6. Once the fever pitch of the first month was gone it was too hard to get even a small group together for a battle. I'm sure there are still groups out there who play consistently but if you're in any way casual about the game how can you justify taking up a slot?

There is some kind of player-match set up as well but the War mode is really the meat. If they ever allowed pick up groups or simply raised the clan player limit to say 100 I feel the game would have lasted much longer around here.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    He means that the last time any of us talked about chromehounds was two years ago. It's safe to say the community has dwindled.

Yeah. Sorry I said it in sort of a dick way, I could certainly have been nicer about it.

Chromehounds was a dream come true for so many mechheads, at least in theory. Game breaking balance issues simply caused it to completely fold on itself eventually, even though there were certainly tons and tons of people determined to make it work for quite some time.

Two friends and I bought it together and we had SO MUCH FUN playing against just computers or battling each other. It stopped as soon as we met the first real other players.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Those spike/piledriver thingies ruined the game for me.

That and people who wouldn't fight hound vs hound, instead avoid you and go for the base. What's the fun in that?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In the end I've ended up being alone in my clan basically soloing against the computer. It was fun though and the mech building was great.

I've then moved on to the open player matches that were just random people playing against each other in deathmatch. What was fun, and I don't know why, these random matches were almost free of the mech types that broke the game. Everybody just used balanced mechs and had fun.

Handkor on