As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Making moar monsters! OP updated 24/7/08

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did I kill this thread or what?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Replace all that mess on being bloodied with "While bloodied."

Even messy monsters need clean language.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BLOATMAGE (SOLO BRUTE)

* Description: Bloatmages are humanoids (usually human) who attempt to use their blood to cast spells; they have magically altered themselves to produce more blood than they normally need, and to store it they take advantage of body fat and blood-sucking parasites like leeches and ticks

* Transfusion: Bloatmages whose HP is at or below the bloodied mark automatically leech blood from other bloodied individuals adjacent to them, be they ally or enemy; while bloodied, the bloatmage automatically deals damage to adjacent bloodied creatures and heals by the same amount

* Blinding Bloodspray: Puncturing a bloatmage's skin causes a spray of blood to spurt out; when the bloatmage is first damaged by a slashing or piercing attack, blood sprays from the wound and blinds the attacker and those adjacent to the attacker

* Bloodsucker Infestation: Ticks and leeches dapple the bloatmage's skin haphazardly; creatures that make physical contact with the bloatmage, such as by grabbing or attacking with an unarmed strike, risk becoming infested and taking ongoing damage

* Coagulating Armor: The bloatmage's wounds are quickly covered by scabs; while bloodied, the bloatmage gains minor damage resistance

* Spells: Blood Missile (Magic Missile variant), Color Spray, Web

Anyone have ideas for interesting blood-themed powers? The ones I've already posted won't necessarily be in the final monster. So far this is just a list of ideas. Though I like the concept behind Bloodsucker Infestation, I can't settle on a way for it to take effect. I also changed Blinding Bloodspray so that it only works the first time the bloatmage takes slashing or piercing damage. Coagulating armor is a new addition, too.

I'm not too familiar with the rules for monster levels yet, but I found some cultists online that someone else made that were Level 3 opponents. So, whatever is a good Level for a boss with Level 3 underlings is what I'll aim for once I get the other two books.

BTW, are the monster creation rules in the MM or the DMG?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    BTW, are the monster creation rules in the MM or the DMG?
    Both, sort of. Well, the templates are all in the DMG, but obviously you need monsters to apply them to....:P

What you're looking for is pp.184-185 of the DMG for the monster creation rules and pp.174-183 for the customising existing monsters/template rules.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blademaster Korgoth (Level 1 Solo Soldier)
    http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcgjm4fk_1v7f5m3gc

Blademaster Korgoth is designed as an early boss encounter to show characters, well, boss encounters. He has a variety of special abilities and he changes his fighting style midway through the encounter. His Blade Focus mechanic allows for a fairly unique combat challenge.

He's designed to be pretty tough but certainly beatable for a first level party of five. He does not have any healing and is low on multiple target attacks which helps balance out his pretty powerful per hit damage.

A relevant link, which is a collection of boss encounters:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82347

BTW, Aegiri, can you post a downloadable version of your template? It works better with Google Docs than mine does.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the Boss Compendium idea, and am a big fan of the concept of awarding milestones over the course of an epic battle.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, here's my first attempt at making a 4E monster, but I'm sure it's riddled with errors. For example, do the ability scores factor into the creature's attacks and defenses? I couldn't really tell with the guidelines provided, but it seems like they should. However, I left them out because I thought it would be easier to add them if needed than subtract them.

Could someone double check this creature and tell me what all is wrong?
    AMPHISBAENA
    Level 8 Brute
    Large Dragon

Initiative: +7
    Senses: Perception +10; low-light vision

HP: 110 ;Bloodied: 55 and see separate
    Defenses: AC 20, Fort 20, Ref 20, Will 20
    Speed: 4, swim 4

Claw (standard;at-will)
    +11 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage

Bite (when not separated;standard;at-will)
    +11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and the target is grabbed (until

escape)

Constrict (when not separated;standard;at-will)
    Affects a target the amphisbaena has grabbed; +9 vs

Fortitude, 2d8+5 damage, and the target is dazed until the

end of the amphisbaena's next turn

Separate (free;when bloodied)
    Amphisbaena tail appears in closest adjacent square;

amphisbaena loses the bite and constrict attacks

Alignment: Unaligned
    Languages: -

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 5, Wis 16, Cha 12

Description: The amphisbaena is a type of drake native to deserts. It's only limbs are its powerful legs, but it's tail ends in a snake-like head. When the amphisbaena is significantly threatened, its tail will separate from its body and become an independent creature to help the amphisbaena fight. If the amphisbaena survives, it grows a new tail-head and its former one soon dies.

TAIL, AMPHISBAENA
    Level 5 Soldier
    Medium Dragon

Initiative: +2
    Senses: Perception +10; low-light vision

HP: 74 ;Bloodied: 37
    Defenses: AC 21, Fort 17, Ref 17, Will 17
    Speed: 6, climb 6, swim 6

Bite (standard;at-will)
    +12 vs AC; 1d10+4 damage, and the target is grabbed (until

escape)

Constrict (standard;at-will)
    Affects a target the amphisbaena tail has grabbed; +10 vs

Fortitude, 2d8+4 damage, and the target is dazed until

the end of the amphisbaena tail's next turn

Alignment: Unaligned
    Languages: -
    Skills: Stealth +12

Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 17, Cha 10

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    This is supposed to be an actual velociraptor, not the things from Jurassic Park, so I didn't want to raise the damage.

So, I wanted to try to make something closer to the movie raptors...
    DireRaptor.png
    Dire Raptor Tactics:
    Dire Raptors are pack hunters that generally prefer to take down single targets of opportunity by coordinating their attacks. If faced by a group of targets that are bunched up, one Raptor will charge into the middle of the group and attempt to knock over as many as possible with it's Tail Sweep before the rest of the pack pounce on the now vulnerable targets. Equally, if a Dire Raptor finds itself surrounded and alone, it will try to knock the enemies away before making good its escape through any gaps this opens up.
    How appalling is it?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I decided to abandon my previous attempt and start smaller: a level one minion.

WyrmanMinion.jpg

It's a conversion of a monster from an old Dragon magazine article that was itself based on a monster from a China Meiville novel. Wyrmen are small creatures that look scaly humanoids with flat faces, reptilian eyes, and bat wings instead of arms. Kind of a like a kobold if you inverted which parts were more humanoid and which were more draconic. In fact, they pretty much are stupider flying kobolds that can't use weapons and can only communicate through chattering that only other wyrmen understand.

I'm still confused on how making monsters actually works. The instructions in the DMG seem rather vague to me, and often the ability scores don't look like they factor in very much. Are they just meant as a guideline in 4E, rather than as parts of a formula as it was in 3.5?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One more for the movie pack:
    DireRaptorMatriarch.png

Dire Raptor Matriarch Tactics:

Raptor Matriarchs will frequently forgo stealth in favour of distracting a target in preparation for a Coordinated Attack, before leaping in to bring the target down. Alternately, she will use here Tail Sweep to knock over a single target then pounce on it with a Claw Slash, leaving it dazed and bleeding to death, before moving on to another. Raptor Matriarchs are more than smart enough to retreat if outmatched and will do so as stealthily as possible so as to throw off pursuit. Some have even been known to leave weaker members of the pack to fight off many enemies in order to effect their escape.
    And now for some Lore:
    Nature DC15: Dire Raptors are cousins of the much smaller Velociraptor, and live in similar habitats, though they are much more vicious and capable of even bringing down young dragons.
    Nature DC20: Dire Raptors live in packs with up to a dozen adults together with many more juveniles and infants, typically underground in a natural cavern, though some packs live in secluded forest clearings. Only the females of the pack will go hunting, leaving the males to tend the young and defend the nest. A large and established pack will be led by at least one Dire Raptor Matriarch.
    Arcana DC20: Dire Raptors are the result of inadvisable magical tinkering; In an attempt to create the ultimate game animal, a rich noble ordered the creation of bigger, faster and smarter reptiles to be released on his private preserve, against the dire warnings of both his chief game warden and the local Druid.
    Arcana DC25: To create the beasts, the noble's chief wizard channeled the magic of the feywild to enhance a pair of pet velociraptors as a test, believing that pampered pets would have a better temprament to work with to start off. He was wrong. Having made good their escape (and destroyed the noble house of Hammond in the process), the newly minted Dire Raptors fled to the nearest forest to form the first dire Raptor colony.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really dig the raptors, Mr. Rose. They'll definitely be useful for me in an upcoming campaign. Thanks!

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My first attempt at a solo monster. Supposed to go with my previous monster

Don't read Cloudtalker questies if you don't want to spoil the end.
    Cactiking, Level 3 Solo Skirmisher
    large natural animate (plant) (750 xp)
    Initiative +8, Senses Perception +6 (16)
    HP 204 Bloodied 102, see instinctive recharge
    AC 20, FORT 16, REF 22, WILL 17
    Speed 8

+5 to all saves

Action Points 2

Thorns Aura aura 2; enemies in a square within the aura at the start of the Cactiking's turn take 2 damage.

Pair of Forceps (standard; at will; sustain minor)
    reach 2, +10 vs. AC, 2d8+3 damage on two separate targets, immobilizes until end of Cactiking's next turn if not sustained. When both forceps are sustaining grabs, it cannot attack with them as normal, but bashes the targets for 1d6+3 damage. DC 15 to escape.

Spine Burst (standard; recharge 5, 6)
    close burst 4, +9 vs AC, 2d4+3 damage to all targets in burst, attack always originates from Cactiking's square, and marks targets like fighter combat challenge

Spinyskin Any creature that grabs the Cactiking takes damage equal to their strength modifier

Instinctive Recharge (free, when bloodied, encounter)
    For the rest of the encounter, the Spine Burst recharges at 4, 5, 6. When Spine Burst recharges at 4, the range of the burst is reduced to close burst 3 due to early recharge.

Chaotic Evil
    STR 14 (+3), CON 12 (+2), DEX 24 (+8), INT 10 (+1), WIS 12 (+2), CHA 8 (+0)

This is the monster after Incenjucar's criticisms and addons

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    @ Goose!: Aren't solos supposed to have two action points and +5 to saves?

@ mightyspacepope: Thanks, I kinda like 'em too. :P Please do tell us how they work out though; I would consider these guys to be closer to final beta than first release candidate right now.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Here's my attempt at making a solo. It's basically a 4E conversion from one of Paizo's 3.5 adventure modules, Crown of the Kobold King. Please tell me if I did everything right. Oh, btw, it's undead. I can't figure out how to get that on the statblock with the program I'm using.

ForgeSpurned.jpg

A forge spurned is an undead dwarven worshiper of the god of toil. Its badly burnt skin is covered only by a long chain that wraps around its legs, torso, and arms. Instead of a normal beard, ash and smoke constantly billow from the forge spurned's mouth and give the impression of one. The forge spurned is an intelligent undead whose purpose is to craft links for its chain, infusing each one with a tortured victim's soul. Once it reaches a certain number of links on its soul chain, the forge spurned will fade from the world and attempt to appease its dark lord by offering its soul chain and the hundreds of souls contained within.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hexmage; I've been meaning to ask; how are you making those stat-blocks with all the pretty colours? Is there some sort of on-line tool?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    One more for the movie pack:Dire Raptor Matriarch Level 7 Elite Skirmisher
    Large Natural Beast 600XP
    [snip]

Very cool, but I truly believe that you should change the name from Coordinated Attack to "Clever Girl".

I mean, come on! :p

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hexmage; I've been meaning to ask; how are you making those stat-blocks with all the pretty colours? Is there some sort of on-line tool?

There's an online version and a downloadable version.

Also, here's a Monster Math Cruncher by the same guy. It's much faster and easier than going over those tables in the DMG.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [snip]

Very cool, but I truly believe that you should change the name from Coordinated Attack to "Clever Girl".

Please don't ever believe I didn't consider it, especially as that scene was the direct inspiration for the ability, but it felt kinda forced compared to the other dudes in the MM. Feel free to rename the ability if you use her in your games though....

@Hexmage-PA: Thanks, I'll look at that when I next get a moment.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the Boss Compendium idea, and am a big fan of the concept of awarding milestones over the course of an epic battle.

Do you get healing surges / Encounter powers back during a milestone? I'd like to do a three-stage battle, but after four rounds of encounter powers the players are just going to be autoattacking.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Do you get healing surges / Encounter powers back during a milestone? I'd like to do a three-stage battle, but after four rounds of encounter powers the players are just going to be autoattacking.
    Encounter powers come back after 5 minutes rest. Dailies and surges after 6 hours rest.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [snip]

Please don't ever believe I didn't consider it, especially as that scene was the direct inspiration for the ability, but it felt kinda forced compared to the other dudes in the MM. Feel free to rename the ability if you use her in your games though....

I figured this was the reason. Props for the cool write-up.
    Encounter powers come back after 5 minutes rest. Dailies and surges after 6 hours rest.

Yep. When the party reaches a milestone, everyone gets an Action Point.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

@ mightyspacepope: Thanks, I kinda like 'em too. :P Please do tell us how they work out though; I would consider these guys to be closer to final beta than first release candidate right now.

15, 11, 17, and 12 + 5 equals all his saves. And yeah, If fixed the ap issue

Goose! on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goose! wrote: »

Nono, Solos get +5 to their saves, as in saving throws, not to their defenses.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

Nono, Solos get +5 to their saves, as in saving throws, not to their defenses.
    Okay

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm in the process of making 4E conversions for Pathfinder #1. Here's the goblin dog (or as I like to call it, the rat dog).

RatDog.jpg

A rat dog, as its name suggests, resembles a cross between a dog and a rat, specifically a rat that has been stretched out to match the proportions of a tall, lean hound. A rat dog's hide is nearly hairless, due to the rampant mange that affects nearly every member of the species.

Next one: the Mutant Goblin Maimhulk!

MutantGoblinMaimhulk.jpg

This goblin has become a horribly deformed beast: the formerly small creature is now an overly muscled, man-sized humanoid. The thing has four arms: two strong arms that hold a longsword and handaxe, and two small arms that sit beside the neck above the larger ones, one of which wields a dagger. The mutant's whole body is covered with red tattoos, and it's pale green eyes are set deep into the skull above a mouth of sharp teeth and below a mess of misshapen ears.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

In a case like that, I might consider a house rule, because doing an entire full length fight with just auto attacks would wear on a bit, let alone possibly two.

As I see it, you have two options:

Generic house rule: Add a rule for something like "Heroic Burst," which restores encounter powers and allows spending healing surges between boss fights. Do this if you want to do this more than once or twice.

Magic gimmick: Give the PCs a "Potion of Restoration," or somesuch to mimic the above effect, but make it single or double use to prevent storing. Feel free to have the potion decay after a day too. Alternatively, use an environmental effect like a magic fountain.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Or just have them rest up between encounters. A good old fashioned "captured by the boss' minions and thrown in a cell for six hours" would also work, depending on how your "boss run" is structured.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Has anybody remade Formians yet? I remember when 3e came out it only took a few weeks before a vast majority of the important monsters missing from the MM had been converted to a reasonable standard. Is there anything similar going on somewhere in the internet?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Here's a solo goblin druid-type. How's it look?

GoblinSeedwhisperer.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can this thread be used for creative Encounter groups as well? I've got a pretty wicked encounter planned for my group in a few weeks, but it uses standard MM creatures and a few templates.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Long ago when Bael Turath still covered half the world, two warforged were created to guard the Deathshroud of Falx, a relic of immense power. When Bael Turath fell, the citadel they occupied, along with the shroud, began to slide into ruin. With the ruins wholly sealed off by time and earth, these two warforged began a contest to determine who was superior. They stalk the halls of their subterranean lair, protecting the long forgotten Deathshroud, alternately battling and fleeing each other. As years turned to decades, their stalemate rages on, neither willing to submit to the other.

Will the players find them locked in battle, or will they encounter one before the other? Will they ally with one or attempt to destroy them both? Or can they turn both warforged into stalwart allies?

Eadra, Warforged Scion of Flame
    Phyras, Warforged Frost Adept

I'm thinking this is probably encounter level 3 or 4, any thoughts? I'm also thinking of making the Antipodean powers AOE if combined.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I've been cluttering up the general 4e thread with monster ideas and didn't even realize this thread was here. Whoops.

Anyway, I've been spending some time coming up with different types of gnolls for a campaign I've started brainstorming about. Basically I wanted to make a more fleshed out army than just a rampaging horde of brutes and skirmishers (not that that isn't cool in and of itself).

Gnoll Bladeguard - Level 7 Soldier, a defensively oriented gnoll, which is something of an oddity, although it still disdains the use of a shield in favor of another blade. I like having crits recharge the power just because it's thematically cool, but I'm debating changing it to a more frequent recharge just so it can have a little more movement control over its enemies.

Gnoll Bonechewer - Level 8 Skirmisher (Leader), a gnoll that's essentially gone completely feral with cannibalistic bloodlust. I added the secondary attack just because I worried that this thing might just never die, but I'm considering reworking the power to make it a little less powerful but happen more frequently.

Gnoll Demonspeaker - Level 6 Controller, a sort of cross between a cleric and a wizard for the gnolls, with a big ass morningstar. I'm considering making the encounter power have a wider area, but I'm wary of making it too powerful.

Gnoll Runt - Level 6 Minion, because even gnolls have cannon fodder.

Gnoll Soulsearer - Level 6 Artillery, to represent the warlocky side of the gnolls. I think it would be interesting if there were some conflict between the gnolls who worshipped the demons and those who simply made deals with them for power, but I'm not sure if that'll fit in this campaign.

I'm happy with these for the most part, although I'm still fiddling around with how often limited powers should recharge for each monster. I'll probably start working on some elites and solos for the campaign next.

Jebu on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really want to convert this monster, as I find it to be hilarious.

cytorak on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    I really want to convert this monster, as I find it to be hilarious.

Awesome.

There were also those monsters that were gold coins that turned into vicious bugs.

Both great for slapping a rogue in thief mode with.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    A friend of mine wants to play a Gargoyle similar to those from the Disney cartoon from the 90s.
    So I threw this one together.

Any thoughts? Too overpowered (flight / stone form)? Ready to play?
    Gargoyle

Average Height: 6’0“—6’5“
    Average Weight: 280—320 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6 squares, fly 6 squares (clumsy)
    Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Elven
    Skill Bonuses: +2 History, +2 Stealth

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered
    a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Stonekindred: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your Fortitude defense.
    In addition, you gain +5 racial bonus to saving throws against Petrification effects.

Sleeping Stone: Rather than sleep, gargoyles turn into living statues. You need to spend 4 hours
    in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest.
    While being in the sleeping stone state, you gain resist 20 to all damage and tremorsense 10,
    but loose all other senses. You do not age while you remain in this state.

Defender of the Night: While being exposed to direct sunlight you take a –2 penality to initiative checks
    and you cannot fly.

Stone Form: You can use stone form as an encounter power.

Stone Form
    Your skin petrifies, turning you into a living statue.
    Encounter
    Standard Action Personal
    Effect: You turn into a living statue and gain resist 5 + one-half your level to all damage,
    regeneration 1 (3 at 11th level, 5 at 21st level) and tremorsense 10.
    You loose all other senses and can’t take actions in stone form other than revert to your normal form (as a minor action).

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Am I the only one with a major fascination with fey? I've got a list of about five different fey from real world mythology that I'm gonna make, including a fey dragon.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think the stoneform is a bit overpowered, but other than that it seems fine. Also, the tremorsense is fine, but what use is it if you can't take actions?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, it was copied from the ability of the gargoyles in the MM.

I reworked it into a version that is more suited for a player race:

Stone Form
    Your skin petrifies, turning it as hard as rock.
    Encounter
    Standard Action Personal
    Effect:
    You gain resist 5 + one-half your level to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Kinda works like the pally bubble from WoW.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll update the OP later. I've playtested a lot of my own creations now and noticed certain things. I'll think about adding some guidelines in the OP as well and a slew of my own new monsters as well. Again, if anyone can tell me how to put my template up online where people could easily get it I would be happy to do so as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, it was copied from the ability of the gargoyles in the MM.

I reworked it into a version that is more suited for a player race:

Stone Form
    Your skin petrifies, turning it as hard as rock.
    Encounter
    Standard Action Personal
    Effect:
    You gain resist 5 + one-half your level to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Kinda works like the pally bubble from WoW.

Ah, I see. I think it makes sense in the context of an enemy because they're likely to be stone when you find them, not turn into stone in a battle. The new version looks much better. Also, I forget the origin of Disney's Gargoyles, but would they be considered living constructs like warforged?

Delzhand on