Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, 15 games for a fist fight? That is some weak stuff right there.

I mean, in Australian sports, there are constantly calls for more fighting, not less. Bring back the biff!

It's a sport, emotions are high, and there will be fights. 15 games is bullshit.

Duki on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Duki wrote:
    Man, 15 games for a fist fight? That is some weak stuff right there.

I mean, in Australian sports, there are constantly calls for more fighting, not less. Bring back the biff!

It's a sport, emotions are high, and there will be fights. 15 games is bullshit.

You have to understand that over the last 2 years since the Indy-Detroit fight there has been a conspicuous and concerted effort by the league office to make the game and the players more corporate friendly. The dress code, the stricter technical fouls, bizarrely petty crackdowns on stuff like players' iPods and chewing gum, etc., is all meant to convince the right people that basketball is a "safe" sport.

You might notice that there is fighting in hockey, which is played in the US. Of course, no one in the US gives a rat's ass about hockey. They tend to prefer their sports violence within the rules of the game - football, boxing, ultimate fighting, NASCAR crashes.

Carmelo Anthony is one of the sport's highest profile names, but the league wasn't as vested in him as a Lebron or Wade. And the fight took place in the league's highest-profile arena, which also happened to be right in David Stern's backyard. If ever there was a tailor-made case for an example to be made of someone, here it was.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Looks like the AI trade is confirmed with Denver. Joe Smith, Andre Miller, and two 2007 1st round picks for The Answer. Everyone has been talking about how Denver was a stronger contender in the AI sweepstakes as a result of all the suspensions, but I honestly didn't think they were going to pull the trigger. I have a hard time seeing a 'Melo/AI combo working in terms of chemistry, and there certainly won't be enough shots to go around once everyone comes back from suspension, especially considering J.R. Smith is likely used to filling in that secondary gunner role.

Thoughts?

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    I hear all these outraged people and I think, am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if they beat the everliving shit out of each other? I really just wouldn't mind.
    I love fighting in professional sports and think it should be subtly encouraged.

Fighting in Basketball is hilarious. Because they fucking go at each other, and it's not expected. Awesome

geckahn on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    geckahn wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    I hear all these outraged people and I think, am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if they beat the everliving shit out of each other? I really just wouldn't mind.
    I love fighting in professional sports and think it should be subtly encouraged.

Fighting in Basketball is hilarious. Because they fucking go at each other, and it's not expected. Awesome
    You just reminded me of Barkley's body slam of Shaq. Now that was motherfucking bad ass right there.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I laughed pretty hard at 'Melo's punch. I don't think I've seen someone backpedal/run so fast after throwing a right hook. I love the mentality right there "I'mma fuck you up... and then ruuuuuuuuuun cuz I'm too pretty."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    This also brings to mind what a fucking pussy Roger Clemens is.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I laughed pretty hard at 'Melo's punch. I don't think I've seen someone backpedal/run so fast after throwing a right hook. I love the mentality right there "I'mma fuck you up... and then ruuuuuuuuuun cuz I'm too pretty."

msg111121703551nw6.jpg
    run awayyy run awayyy

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    15 games is too low. Sure, this kind of stuff has been going on for decades, and isn't particularly worse now, but that doesn't mean it isn't time to clean it up.

Bill Simmons made the distubing point that if these were white guys playing baseball this would be "all in good fun" (imo it shouldn't be) but since everyone's black it's a "disgrace" and "out of control."

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    15 games is too low. Sure, this kind of stuff has been going on for decades, and isn't particularly worse now, but that doesn't mean it isn't time to clean it up.

Bill Simmons made the distubing point that if these were white guys playing baseball this would be "all in good fun" (imo it shouldn't be) but since everyone's black it's a "disgrace" and "out of control."

I don't know about that.

I think a large part of this was that it happened in New York, in MSG. I think if it had happened in a Minnesota at Portland game, there wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal made of it. Things in New York just naturally get blown out of all proportion. Remember that World Series where Clemens threw the bat fragment in the general direction of Mike Piazza? You would've thought Clemens had went Juan Marichal on him the way ESPN went crazy over it.

Really, only the Detroit-Indy fight got huge national attention. Other fights - Miami-NY - are famous in the basketball world, but aren't that known to the general public. Part of the notoriety of the Det-Indy fight was the going into the stands, as opposed to baseball and hockey fights, which are usually contained on the field. There was a pretty big story about a year ago when a baseball player threw a chair into the stands and cracked some lady in the head, and it was rightly criticized from all angles.

There is a racial disconnect in the way "white" sports are viewed compared to "black" sports, but I don't think that was the determining factor in this particular instance.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Andre Miller, 8mil expiring and two late 20 draft picks?

Awesome job Billy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2702501

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    I'm teamless, but willing to adopt whichever team AI goes to. Consider it my team lottery.
    I hit the jackpot!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    carmelo better be using his free time off gettting fighting lessons from AI

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The AI trade could go in any direction in my opinion. There's a good chance that AI might not be as selfish as a player as we would expect because we've hardly see him on a team with this much talent on it. I don't count our Team USA as any indication as how he'll turn out for the Nuggs -- that is a completely different dynamic than the NBA. AI's penetration and commanding of double teams will leave Smith and Melo open for a lot of easy buckets. The question is will he be passing? Another interesting dynamic to consider is Coach Karl and AI, we all know how AI and Larry Brown got along. Could be a potentially explosive situation; "I mean we talking bout practice."

With the talented Nuggs, they've got to succeed at least to the Western Conference Finals either this year or the next because AI won't be blamed. It's all on Karls watch. When was the last time the top two leading NBA scorers were on the same team?

Werdna on
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

I think any time you run out of bounds on the opposing teams sideline in football the other team should be allowed to beat you until you can make your way back to the field of play.

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    So I've heard Isiah and Robinson talk about how their feelings were hurt, because the Nuggets were running up the score, and I've got to say boo-fucking-hoo. There's no surrendering in basketball.
    Youre not supposed to run up the score, but did you see the thing on OKSports? Somebody mentioned there was some beef between Karl and Isaiah, potentially over Karl somehow being involved in the Larry Brown thing, and at one of the Summer League games they supposedly even got a little into it before the game, so Karl just might have been running up the score to piss Zeke off, and Zeke just might have sent a player out to take a cheap shot.

I also dont think Melo will get more than 10 games.

My understanding is that Karl was a very good friend with Brown and was very upset with the Brown thing. Also, it should be mentioned, just about every player that has ever come in contact with Thomas hates him. He has always been a dirty player, sneaky, and just a horrible sportsman. It's a shame to see him leading a team and impacting younger players.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Paul Pierce hurt?

Dude's been one of the most durable guys in the NBA the past few years. Smells like a fake injury to me.

Tank!

Oden here we come.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Christ, they're dropping like flies now. Melo, Rashard, Dirk, and now Pierce all out within a week.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sucks about Pierce.

Anyone care to share their favorite player of all time? If I had to pick a poat, it'd have to be Arvydas Sabonis. Not that well known (stuck behind the iron curtain during his prime), but a brilliant center with real passing skills. I only saw him a few times, and he's the most entertaining basketball player I've ever watched.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sucks about Pierce.

Anyone care to share their favorite player of all time? If I had to pick a poat, it'd have to be Arvydas Sabonis. Not that well known (stuck behind the iron curtain during his prime), but a brilliant center with real passing skills. I only saw him a few times, and he's the most entertaining basketball player I've ever watched.

Mine was Magic, even though I'm a Clipper fan. No one else ever seemed to have as much fun on the court as he did, as if he was the only one out there who truly realized how great it was to get paid for playing a kid's game.

Nice call on Sabas. It's a shame that by the time he got to the NBA he was just a shell of his former self. It's like having never gotten to see a pre-Vietnam Ali. The only glimpse I ever saw of his prime was when he totally outplayed David Robinson in the 1988 Olympics, likely the reason USA Basketball went to using pros. I couldn't believe that follow dunk he threw down over Robinson in Seoul. I mean, Robinson was by far the top college player that year with great length and athleticism and here's this white dude from something-something-ania flushing it right on his head.

Still, even in YouTube clips the talent is obvious. Passes as slick as anything Walton or Divac ever dished out, the ability to shoot the 3 as well as any big man today, and as vast a post repetoire as anyone this side of Hakeem, all in a Shaq-sized package. I'm not the only one who thinks the Blazers would have won multiple championships (at least 2 of 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994) if Sabas had come over in 1986 and been healthy instead of coming in with shot knees a decade later.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sucks about Pierce.

Playing - Kobe Bryant

Retired - James Worthy.

Both unstoppable.

The Iverson trade will be interesting, but I have no faith in Denver. Playoffs, yes, but not more than that.

Anyone catch the Minnesota-L.A. game? Outscored 35-7 in the 4th...and Kobe was on the bench during most of the run. They've got a team.

And the Washington-Phoenix game is tonight. I'm going to Tivo this, because this will be an offensive show to say the least.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Christ... someone needs to bring out the dead cart for the Celtics at this point. Pierce, Szerbiak, Kendrick Perkins, and now even Brian Scalabrine is out with the flu. Not that I don't like to see Al Jefferson and Gerald Green get lots of minutes, but this is just insane.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Remember last year? When Delonte West didn't suck?

I miss last year.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Anyone care to share their favorite player of all time?

The one and only Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon. Dude was so chill he let us misspell his first name for Allah knows how long on the back of his jersey.

Here he is facing off against the most chickenshit possum eating black follower of Joseph Smith of all time.

malonekickhakeem.jpg

That ain't no thing to the Dream though. He was a Nightmare in Salt Lake City in the only Playoffs of the 90s that matter.

03-UTAH.jpg

Oh yes, I went there.

Some might have even said that the Rockets would never have gotten their two championships if Jordan hadn't been forced to hide out in the Chicago Drrrty Sox farm system for sports betting and the subsequent hit on Air's Pa.

Yeah, Airness, your debts would have come due regardless where you hid. You can run baby, but you gotta sleep some time. And guess who will be there. Waiting.

Awww, Yeah.

2000rockets29a.jpg

Stay Classy

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    so how long before KG goes postal and kills everyone on that team and possibly state and the president will have to call martial law and lock down minnesota to contain him

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh fuck, I had forgotten about how much I used to love the NBA. Giant graceful soft spoken Nigerian Nightmares, swoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtRDS38PR2I

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the arms! they're everywhere!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Oh fuck, I had forgotten about how much I used to love the NBA. Giant graceful soft spoken Nigerian Nightmares, swoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtRDS38PR2I
    Hells yes! Gotta love the Phi Slamma Jamma shit, and godDAMN he just mashed on Kareem!

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jordan woulda beat him though.

• Options
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    oh shit them fightin words

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    so how long before KG goes postal and kills everyone on that team and possibly state and the president will have to call martial law and lock down minnesota to contain him

Soon.

I watched the Bucks dismantle Minnesota for the second time in a week tonight, and KG wasn't pleased (obviously). A couple technicals were called in the second half. Charlie Bell was the highlight of the game, though--with him, Mo Williams and Redd, the Bucks have some excellent scoring guards.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Dream is amazing. He is my favorite player and got me into the nba.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:

yep

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

yep
    For reals, guys, Poldy is from da streetz. Dude's as black as the Drrrty Bird. Pouring out Car Bombs for his homiez. For reals. All, Blaring Gangsta Gaelic Chants from his tricked out uh, Rainbow? Shit, I dunno. Something.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm watching the Lakers-Heat game right now on ABC, and I'm really, really loving the commentary. None of Walton's strange metaphors and tangents, nor Kevin Harlan "ZOMG 3-pointerRIGHTBETWEENTHEEYES". It's good.

The bad: Lakers down by 8, Kobe with flu. I'm not worried. This will right itself, I have faith.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm watching the Lakers-Heat game right now on ABC, and I'm really, really loving the commentary. None of Walton's strange metaphors and tangents, nor Kevin Harlan "ZOMG 3-pointerRIGHTBETWEENTHEEYES". It's good.

The bad: Lakers down by 8, Kobe with flu. I'm not worried. This will right itself, I have faith.
    I was watching it until I realized it was too boring and terrible of a game, and I shouldn't bother. That and Marc Jackson is a terrible announcer and I might actually watch if it was Walton.

• Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm on your heels, Rose. I'm on your heels, and I'm going to cut them off.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    I honestly cannot watch an NBA game unless Marv Albert is involved. I hate every single other person I've heard announcing basketball.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    And another one... Chris Paul is down.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    I honestly cannot watch an NBA game unless Marv Albert is involved. I hate every single other person I've heard announcing basketball.

tolbert.jpg
    'Why am I on TV? lol'

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg