Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tommy Heinsohn had back surgery so he's missing some games.

This sucks. He's what makes watching the Celtics fun.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ah, the wonders of league pass - you get to hear everyone's local announce team.

I don't like Heinsohn, and other guys that are too homer-ish. The Bulls color guy, Red Kerr I think is his name, is particularly annoying because he's as homerish as Heinsohn but not nearly as smart. Also, the Heat play by play man sounds like some corny Marv Albert knockoff mixed with Casey Kasem, and it's annoying as hell. I can't listen to Clyde Frazier do color for the Knicks without thinking of that beard-dyeing commercial he does with Keith Hernandez ("RE-jected!").

Kevin Calabro for the Sonics is good for play by play, and Dr. Jack Ramsey of ESPN is the best color analyst working the game today although he doesn't show up too often. Mike Breen for the Knicks is excellent, and when Kenny Smith joins he and Frazier it actually makes Knicks games watchable. Jim Barnett for the Warriors is like going to basketball camp, as he breaks everything down into the smallest minutiae of the sport - hand placement, foot alignment, etc. Too bad he's so constantly interrupted by his partner's boner for Dunleavy Jr.

And I'd be remiss if I left out the hometown hero - Ralph Lawler for the Clippers. By far my favorite announcer, an old school announcer who came up through radio. "They've made their last seven shots. That ties an NBA record for most shots made in seven attempts." Lawler and Walton were easily the funniest duo in the league for years, and even the current combo of Lawler and Mike Smith can go toe to toe with anyone, local or network.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I miss Chick Hearn :(

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tommy Heinsohn had back surgery so he's missing some games.

This sucks. He's what makes watching the Celtics fun.
    I'm quite surprised that Dickerson hasn't completely sucked filling in for Tommy. He's actually managed to keep a civil tongue.

Anyway, after his sixth consecutive double-double last night and averaging 11 rebounds for the month of December, I am declaring Al Jefferson officially "here" as a player in the NBA. As a result, I fully expect Doc to drop his minutes back down to ~15 per game in favor of Kendrick Perkins, who is well on his way to becoming Mark Blount 2.0. Greg Oden here we come!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Except Blount could shoot from 15 feet. Perk can't score like at all.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Anyway, after his sixth consecutive double-double last night and averaging 11 rebounds for the month of December, I am declaring Al Jefferson officially "here" as a player in the NBA. As a result, I fully expect Doc to drop his minutes back down to ~15 per game in favor of Kendrick Perkins, who is well on his way to becoming Mark Blount 2.0. Greg Oden here we come!

Unless the Celts can equal Philly by selling Pierce for 8 cents on the dollar, they have no chance at Oden.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:

Unless the Celts can equal Philly by selling Pierce for 8 cents on the dollar, they have no chance at Oden.

Yeah, I know, but this is still a pretty deep draft this year, and God knows we have some lottery karma coming our way. Besides, we can always try and talk Billy King into taking Wally Szcerbiak and Tony Allen for Andre Miller and their first-round pick.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:

Yeah, I know, but this is still a pretty deep draft this year, and God knows we have some lottery karma coming our way. Besides, we can always try and talk Billy King into taking Wally Szcerbiak and Tony Allen for Andre Miller and their first-round pick.

If Boston loses to Philly enough for Billy King to keep his job, then there's still the chance that King will do something stupid like drafting Kevin Durant ahead of Oden.

King: "I know we already have 3 small forwards, but we don't have this one yet. Plus, I already gave Sam Dalembert $80 million - if I draft Oden to replace him, then I'll look stupid."

And the Celtics have been owed some good karma since Bias and Lewis.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Tonight, I watch my new adopted team and AI, on TNT. The game will be on at 9 Central.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I hate the lakers but i am forced to watch them due to their drafting of ronny turiaf from gonzaga a year or two ago. He is awesome and the only good defender on the entire team, yet Phil Jackson never plays him due to personal reasons. (haha heat destroys the lakers)

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Don't you just love watching AI play? 44 points, 10 assists, and the third consecutive double-double. I really like the speed of that team; I don't care if they suck at defense, they're still fun to watch.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Melo's gonna stay special
    When asked if he needed to campaign for Anthony to the West coaches, Nuggets coach George Karl said: "It's early for me to think about that. My concern is how we keep him on the edge of special when he's not playing. That's not easy to do."

To stay special, Anthony said he and Smith have been doing extra shooting on non-game nights at the Pepsi Center. Anthony also said he plans to aid his conditioning by taking boxing classes during his layoff.
    :lol:

Edit: This, for your entertainment.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tony Allen destroyed his ACL last night.

O-DEN! O-DEN! O-DEN!

DURANT!

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Tony Allen destroyed his ACL last night.

O-DEN! O-DEN! O-DEN!

DURANT!

Scalabrine probably tore his MCL, too.

Here's the partial injury list for this year:

Kobe
    Wade
    McGrady
    Yao
    Gasol
    Amare
    Shaq
    Paul Pierce
    Ray Allen
    Rashard Lewis
    Lamar Odom
    Chauncey Billups
    Michael Redd
    Mo Williams
    Chris Webber
    Ron Artest
    Manu Ginobili
    Kirk Hinrich
    Allen Iverson
    Chris Paul
    Josh Smith
    Jason Richardson
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Gerald Wallace
    Troy Murphy
    Grant Hill
    Peja Stojakovic
    Wally Szczerbiak
    Richard Jefferson
    Sam Cassell
    Steve Francis
    David West
    Kenyon Martin
    Marcus Camby
    Brandon Roy

And those are just some of the more well-known guys who've gotten hurt.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I blame Jason Kidd's wife, Jo Mama.

And the new ball.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Looks like Allen tore both his ACL and MCL.

Scal just has a bruised meniscus and sprained MCL.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Should be noted Tony Allen did that on his birthday, with his grandmother in special attendance, while going up for a goof-off, meaningless dunk after the whistle had blown. Talk about CLUM. ZEE.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Day before his birthday.

But you're close.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Day before his birthday.

But you're close.
    So it's one day away from being the most pathetic sporting injury ever from now until forever, but as for now just holds a fairly firm, yet not insurmountable, grasp on the #1 spot.

• Options
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    Day before his birthday.

But you're close.
    So it's one day away from being the most pathetic sporting injury ever from now until forever, but as for now just holds a fairly firm, yet not insurmountable, grasp on the #1 spot.

Bill Gramatica

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fucking Awesome!

Bucks get Earl Boykins and get rid of Steve Blake. This is great, great news for a franchise that saw its two best scoring options get injured recently.

boykinsthumbih3.jpg

Five and a half feet of dynamite, bitches.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    is it still too soon for mvp talk?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nash.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Day before his birthday.

But you're close.

Bill Gramatica

Gus Frerotte
    Bucks get Earl Boykins and get rid of Steve Blake. This is great, great news for a franchise that saw its two best scoring options get injured recently.

What's wrong with Steve Blake? Granted, he's not the scorer Milwaukee needs right now with Redd, Mo and Villa all on the shelf, but why is getting rid of him a good thing? Both he and lil' Earl have been playing great ball since the trade.

Also, with the season halfway over the New York Knicks of all people are 2.5 games out of the 8th and final playoff spot.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BubbaT wrote:
    What's wrong with Steve Blake? Granted, he's not the scorer Milwaukee needs right now with Redd, Mo and Villa all on the shelf, but why is getting rid of him a good thing? Both he and lil' Earl have been playing great ball since the trade.

Because the Bucks need scorers and Steve Blake is a pass first guard (which is why the Nuggets wanted him, I guess).

Also, why do you suck so much bulls arhaghagh

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    West: Dirk

East: Arenas

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    West: Dirk

East: Arenas

Suns just handed Arena his own ass tonight. I agree with you on Dirk, this is his year. Every year they say that Dirk has taken it to another level, but I really think that this is it. Last year's success was due to the overall team's improvement. This year, it is clear that Dirk is MVP.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Carlos Boozer got his MRI done, and it's bad news.

Hairline fracture, out 4-5 weeks.

Don't be surprised to see Houston and the Lakers pass up the Jazz in the Western standings, or Denver make a run at first in the Northwest. Without their #1 option, the Jazz are basically back to last year, with an improved Deron Williams being balanced out by a dis-improved Andrei Kirilenko. Last year's team wasn't a playoff team, so...

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6O42a5vl8

Gilbert Arenas is a very strange dude.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nate Robinson will be back to the slam-dunk contest. :/ Couldn't they have used the fight as an excuse to keep him out of it?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    At least this time they're putting a time limit on each participant. No more waiting 40 minutes for Nate to hit a pin-sized mark on the backboard from halfcourt.

edit to add:

Holy smokes, Scottie Pippen has lost his mind.
    If you ask people who understand the game, the GMs and the coaches, they’d rather have a Scottie than a Michael. I’m an all-around player. I make the people around me better.

I understand Scottie wants to comeback and memories of his game, which was average at best 4 years ago, aren't exactly drawing lots of offers. But I don't see how saying things which suggest he has absolutely no knowledge of basketball is going to help his job prospects.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    with ncaa over and done with its just about time for playoff talk again, lets get this thread rolling again. of course the wolves wont make it again and i think kg may have had it finally and decide to move which is very exciting for those of us who like teams that are out of the greg oden hunt for are in position to make monster trades this off season...

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    untitleduh8.jpg

Thanks, ESPN.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ???

When or where did Roy score 25 of his season-high 29? What weird writing.

And yes, Ainge got hosed.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Living in Portland now, I'm super-excited to get to see Roy and Aldridge grow up together. If they trade Randolph this summer, pencil them in for 35+ wins next year, no problem.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stopped watching when we (KINGS) blew our "return to form", and have no lost 10/12. Im done for the season. Shameful what this ball-club has turned into, especially with the talent behind it.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    augh dammit this is gonna be the boringest playoffs ever now without gilbert's antics :(

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Arenas blogs? I'd like to see more athletes doing this, even though it will end in disaster for many.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, the Bulls/Cavaliers chase is FIERCE
    right now the Bulls are up the tiebreaker, but it is probably the closest race in the playoffs right now.
    I'm up for the Bulls, but I'm from Chicago so I'm obligated to believe in them (same as I have to hate Rex Grossman)

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i cant decide whether i wanna see the clips in the playoffs or the warriors in the playoffs more

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!