Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where did KG say Boston is racist? All I read so far is that he just doesn't wanna play there. And I can understand him .. .Sure its the east and LeBron got to the finals with scrubs. But if he has the chance of playing in Phoenix with Steve Nash, I'd say thats the better opportunity to get a ring.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To go from playing under McHale to playing under Ainge? It's like the one and only franchise in the entire league where the GM actually gets worse than where KG's at. He may only be a high school grad, but he's seen what's happened to Paul Pierce and he's not stupid.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You guys think Law's going to the Hawks? He cancelled his workout with the Hornets, and rumors are the Hawks will grab him at #11 (meaning the Hawks won't draft Crittenton, :'(, and definitely not Conley @ #3). I'm guessing Horford's going #3, which doesn't help the Hawks at all with their forward position.

I was on another forum (SpursTalk) where this trade was proposed

Nuggets - Brent Barry, #3 or #11 pick (I'm thinking #3)
    Spurs - Salim Stoudamire, Josh Childress
    Hawks - Marcus Camby, Jackie Butler

I don't see the Spurs making major moves like this one, but it would help out the aging Bruce Bowen situation, and get back a much younger Brent Barry. The Nuggets replace J.R. Smith with Barry, and allows Nene to play the 5. The Nuggets can then pick up Horford (assuming they get #3) to replace KMart (can it be called "replacing?" more like someone who actually isn't injured right?). The Hawks fill their Center hole, draft Crittenton (or Law now), they can move Zaza to the 4, and have Marvin coming off the bench.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kevin Garnett really is stupid.

Boston is not a racist city. Seriously.
    It isn't, but it has a really shitty basketball team, and the trade would make it worse.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    You guys think Law's going to the Hawks? He cancelled his workout with the Hornets, and rumors are the Hawks will grab him at #11 (meaning the Hawks won't draft Crittenton, :'(, and definitely not Conley @ #3). I'm guessing Horford's going #3, which doesn't help the Hawks at all with their forward position.

Well ... according to Bill Simmons, thats exactly what Atlanta should do. Draft Al Horford. I don't know enough about the draft class (have only seen Oden like ... 2 times or so) to have an informed opinion on who should go where ... so forgive me if I just retell what I read :D.

But whatever they do ... I doubt it will be the right thing :). They have kind of a bad track record in that department.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Well ... according to Bill Simmons, thats exactly what Atlanta should do. Draft Al Horford. I don't know enough about the draft class (have only seen Oden like ... 2 times or so) to have an informed opinion on who should go where ... so forgive me if I just retell what I read :D.

But whatever they do ... I doubt it will be the right thing :). They have kind of a bad track record in that department.
    If Bill Simmons says so, no thing is a sure-fire bad idea. That guy is an absolute moron.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the Stoudemire for KG rumors? I mean, why would you deal Stoudemire?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the Stoudemire for KG rumors? I mean, why would you deal Stoudemire?
    Bad attitude, bad knee. The PHX organization has done a fair amount of hush hush stuff to coddle him through some bad behavior.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    If Bill Simmons says so, no thing is a sure-fire bad idea. That guy is an absolute moron.

Your opinion ... I like his columns. But like I already stated ... I don't know enough about this years draft class to really evaluate on which team should draft whom. After all I live half a planet away ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.

Trade discussions initially involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and a fourth team, and sources told ESPN and ESPN.com that that team was the Celtics. They would have gotten Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers and sent young players to the Wolves. The Lakers would have gotten Garnett, while the Pacers would have landed Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. Minnesota would also have acquired at least one of the teams' draft picks, possibly Boston's No. 5 in Thursday's draft.

Later on Monday, the Times reported that the deal in that form had fallen apart because the Celtics did not like their end of the deal. According to the newspaper, the Lakers and Timberwolves continued discussions, trying to broker a deal just between the two teams.

Sources told the Times, however, that Wolves general manager Kevin McHale is not thrilled with the idea of getting Odom and Bynum, even if they come with the Lakers' 19th pick.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press contacted Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh and he denied any knowledge of the trade talks.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    now they just need a good pg if this works out

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.

Trade discussions initially involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and a fourth team, and sources told ESPN and ESPN.com that that team was the Celtics. They would have gotten Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers and sent young players to the Wolves. The Lakers would have gotten Garnett, while the Pacers would have landed Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. Minnesota would also have acquired at least one of the teams' draft picks, possibly Boston's No. 5 in Thursday's draft.

Later on Monday, the Times reported that the deal in that form had fallen apart because the Celtics did not like their end of the deal. According to the newspaper, the Lakers and Timberwolves continued discussions, trying to broker a deal just between the two teams.

Sources told the Times, however, that Wolves general manager Kevin McHale is not thrilled with the idea of getting Odom and Bynum, even if they come with the Lakers' 19th pick.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press contacted Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh and he denied any knowledge of the trade talks.
    I love how all this speculation involves Boston giving up the 5th pick and getting nothing in return. Not even nothing in the form of some shitty players, but nothing in the form of literally nothing. So ridiculous.. yet so believeable.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, the C's would get Jermaine O'Neal. Who is not that great anymore and is making insane money.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah but he looks like a baby
    you cant put a price on those kinda things

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, the C's would get Jermaine O'Neal. Who is not that great anymore and is making insane money.

Oh. Definitely missed that "they." Damn pronouns..

So yeah.. #5 pick... D Wade was once picked number 5.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Darko was picked 2nd that same year.

C's'll pick Yi. Whose upside is Darko.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hell, at least Yi isn't Noah.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Bill Simmons writing the Hawks will do the wrong thing (draft Horford) shows that he has watched the Hawks operate and knows they're dumb.

Bill Simmons writing the Hawks should do the wrong thing (draft Horford) makes him look just as dumb as the Hawks.

Oh, and damn, damn, damn! about Acie Law. I was hoping since March that Conley would enter the draft so Law could slip to the Clippers. Looks like it still won't happen now, even with Conley in the draft. And worse, it looks like New Orleans will pick USC's Nick Young, the #2 guy I was hoping for after Law.

Bad attitude, bad knee. The PHX organization has done a fair amount of hush hush stuff to coddle him through some bad behavior.

Aside from the running on the court which could have cost Phoenix a NBA title shot, Stoudamire blew off the final team meeting of the year. During the Suns-Spurs series Steve Nash said about Amare, "I can't really go to the playpen and tell everyone how they're supposed to behave."

Secondly, KG is just a better player than Amare right now, most especially on the defensive end. Phoenix's window to win a title with Nash isn't going to last forever, and KG gives them a better chance to win right now. KG can go toe to toe with Duncan without having to slow down the Sun offense with a plodder like Kurt Thomas. Amare gives them a better chance to maybe win in 5 years, at which point Nash might not even be around anymore.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh; makes sense.

And talk of KG going to LA has stopped, and now they're talking about Phoenix again.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought this draft was going to make the East competitive again. Instead, the top 2 picks go to the West, so the West will be even more competitive next year. What the fuck.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I thought this draft was going to make the East competitive again. Instead, the top 2 picks go to the West, so the West will be even more competitive next year. What the fuck.
    Yeah that Cavs team in the Finals really was a fucking joke.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I think I'm the only person on this board who wants my team to pick Noah.
    Then again, he's a good value at #9, plus he's a total nutjob.
    Also, I like how John Hollinger used his own system on past draft and showed that Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas were the best picks for their respective drafts.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, I like how John Hollinger used his own system on past draft and showed that Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas were the best picks for their respective drafts.

Didn't he say that Kevin Durant was the better pick or something? What did his draft board look like?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I thought cel liked him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Didn't he say that Kevin Durant was the better pick or something? What did his draft board look like?
    Kevin Durant was by far the best pick, basically the best player to be in the draft in the past five years (Though notably the system he made ignored europeans and high schoolers, including those with the last name of James).
    Outside of the top three (#3 is Conley) his draft is off the wall. Thaddeus Young is #4, and #7-10 are Nick Fazekas, Josh McRoberts, Rodney Stuckey, and Jared Dudley, none of whom I've heard of in any draft analysis (or at all). Crittendon is 10 spots ahead of Acie Law (He factors in age, this also hurts Al Thornton).
    He puts Jeff Green and Julian Wright out of the lottery, and puts Corey Brewer, Acie Law, and Spencer Hawes out of the first round.
    TLDR: This thing is available for free, btw, its an insider "free preview", go read it yourself.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I want to see Thaddeus Young and Javaris Crittenton get their hopes and dreams crushed this draft. How dare they leave me......

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can see Brewer busting big time.

It is real easy to look great on defense when you have Noah and Horford behind you swatting shots and cleaning up your fuckups.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I want to see Thaddeus Young and Javaris Crittenton get their hopes and dreams crushed this draft. How dare they leave me......

hey....gotta wish them the best, though i'm not too excited about this coming season, =/

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Kevin Durant was by far the best pick, basically the best player to be in the draft in the past five years (Though notably the system he made ignored europeans and high schoolers, including those with the last name of James).
    Outside of the top three (#3 is Conley) his draft is off the wall. Thaddeus Young is #4, and #7-10 are Nick Fazekas, Josh McRoberts, Rodney Stuckey, and Jared Dudley, none of whom I've heard of in any draft analysis (or at all). Crittendon is 10 spots ahead of Acie Law (He factors in age, this also hurts Al Thornton).
    He puts Jeff Green and Julian Wright out of the lottery, and puts Corey Brewer, Acie Law, and Spencer Hawes out of the first round.
    TLDR: This thing is available for free, btw, its an insider "free preview", go read it yourself.

Good God that's a horrible mock. I know Hollinger is in love with numbers, but come on.

Look, if you just want to go by numbers the best player in the NBA isn't Tim Duncan or Kobe or Nash - it's Shawn Marion. If you go by numbers there were a few years where Rod Strickland was the best PG in the NBA.

- Thad Young is probably a mid-late teens pick. This year's annual "next Tmac" - Gerald Green, Dorrell Wright, etc. (I have mocked to Golden State at #18.)

- Nick Fazekas is a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Looks awkward and uncoordinated, but is fundamentally sound and has college 3 range. (Utah #25)

- Rodney Stuckey is the closest to the lottery, based on reports that Detroit loves him and may have promised him at #15. (Detroit #15)

- Jared Dudley is a late 1st/early 2nd tweener who plays a lot like Ryan Gomes. (Detroit #27)

I can see Brewer busting big time.

It is real easy to look great on defense when you have Noah and Horford behind you swatting shots and cleaning up your fuckups.

He could be considered a bust if Ainge takes him at #5 in terms of better players being taken after him, but I don't think he'll be a bust in the sense that he'll be out of the league in 5 years. I don't think he's going to be the next Marion/Kirilenko like some others do, but have a career more along the lines of Stacey Augmon or James Posey - a solid 10 year career as a borderline starter or top bench player.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I thought cel liked him.
    Pencil Noah in for 10 and 10 for at least his first 8 years in the NBA. Players like that don't fall off trees, although I think he might have some issues meshing with veterans if he can't learn a little humility in the locker room.

• Options
    edited June 2007

I thought cel liked him.
    Pencil Noah in for 10 and 10 for at least his first 8 years in the NBA. Players like that don't fall off trees, although I think he might have some issues meshing with veterans if he can't learn a little humility in the locker room.
    The Bulls need someone who isn't so quiet now that Nocioni might be going somewhere else.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So, draft in one hour.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    18 minutes... I'm getting excited. I have to go down to the sports bar to watch it due to my lack of cable.

I think the NBA Draft is my favorite night of the summer. The garish suits and outlandish interviews never fail to deliver high comedic value.

Here's hoping we see KG end up in Phoenix. I've always been a KG fan and I think he and Nash could play some great basketball together. Unfortunately I don't think it's gonna happen... stupid Hawks holding up the deal.

And Hollinger's latest article wasn't a mock. He came up with a statistical analysis of a player's NBA success based on their college numbers. Ran it on past drafts and refined it until it worked decently. He was just looking for a system that did a decent job of red flagging busts (like Dajuan Wagner) and highlighting underrated draft picks (Carlos Boozer).

He talked all over the place about merging his approach with traditional scouting to get a better overall picture.

I have great respect for guys like Hollinger and Bill James who make advances in statistical analysis. It makes a great complement to the traditional stuff.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ray Allen?

Not worth the 5th pick.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Holy shit, Noah.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Early reports make it sound like Conley and Brewer will both go in the top 7, which seem like the two biggest reaches to me. Conley deserves to be 10-15, Brewer 7-10. God I love watching GMs fall in love with terrible players.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Holy shit, Noah.
    Somebody get me a fucking picture now.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Holy shit, Noah.
    The more I see of him the more I want him on the team.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Never mind beat you to it:

4vpg2m0.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Dude's a hero.

deadonthestreet on