Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Would you rather have Big Baby than Josh McRoberts?

As a Clipper fan, thanks for Thornton.

McRoberts is awful. He is going to be a terrible pro.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    J. Rich to the Bobcats. Sorry, cel.

You oughta save your apologies for Bobcat fans.

Balefuego wrote: »
    Would you rather have Big Baby than Josh McRoberts?

As a Clipper fan, thanks for Thornton.

McRoberts is awful. He is going to be a terrible pro.

Listening to the ESPN guys talk, you'd think he got drafted just to hang out with Oden.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007

:lol:

I just remembered that cel was a fan of the hometown boy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why hasn't Cleveland gotten to make a pick yet? Did they make a trade?

Caswynben on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah they traded this year's first round pick to the Celtics a couple years back for Jiri Welsch. The C's traded that pick to the Suns last year for the rights to Rajon Rondo. The Suns sold the pick to the Blazers for $3 million.

Edit: It is really, really, really sad that I knew that off the top of my head.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Once a player is drafted are they able to opt out and go back to school, or is that it for them?

I ask because we had a surprise player enter the draft this year for Nevada. Everyone knew Fazekas would go, and it's nice to see him go early in the second round, but Ramon Sessions, our point guard, fell to the mid 50's which is terrible. Seems he had some bad advice.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Once a player is drafted are they able to opt out and go back to school, or is that it for them?

I ask because we had a surprise player enter the draft this year for Nevada. Everyone knew Fazekas would go, and it's nice to see him go early in the second round, but Ramon Sessions, our point guard, fell to the mid 50's which is terrible. Seems he had some bad advice.

Once they get drafted or enter the draft they have to sit out a year if they decide to go back. Not a very smart idea.

Noah.jpg

Scary.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Are you kidding? JRich is a much better player than dumb-ass Brandan Wright. It's a deal to clear cap space and possibly maneuver for Yi but fuck that JRich been my boy for years now.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, since when is such a big fucking deal that someone knows how your players play, and also have a team that excells at countering that style? GS beat the mess out of Dallas in the regular season, I really wasn't that surprised that they did it in the playoffs.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, since when is such a big fucking deal that someone knows how your players play, and also have a team that excells at countering that style? GS beat the mess out of Dallas in the regular season, I really wasn't that surprised that they did it in the playoffs.
    HE'S ACTUALLY SUING!! WHAT A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!

• Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    LaMarcus Aldridge + Joakim Noah for Eddy Curry -- fucking sick.

Shouldn't that be Tyrus instead of Aldridge.

I thought Hawes was a bigger need for CHI than Noah, who they already have 2 of in Wallace and Thomas.
    Wallace is going into the Kobe trade.
    You think I'm an idiot, but when Kobe drops his pants and takes a piss on the floor in the middle of the first game you will realize that I'm right.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man I wish he was on GS:

capt.e0dcab1917174d61ac1236883f21b7b8.nba_draft_basketball_msg128.jpg

The Bulls officially win the draft.
    God damnit work, you made me unable to watch the draft, then I had to defend the Noah pick because I was the only one who liked him out of the whole parking crew.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fuck this shit. The NBA has lost all semblance of parity. I propose the Eastern Conference just be broken off and become a minor league. It'll make those guys in the eligibility thread happy, anyway.
    The Bulls shall prevail!
    Just like any team who had 10 top 10 draft picks in the last 8 years.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    Why hasn't Cleveland gotten to make a pick yet? Did they make a trade?
    They dealt it to Boston for Jiri Welsch.
    I am not kidding.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LaMarcus Aldridge + Joakim Noah for Eddy Curry -- fucking sick.

Shouldn't that be Tyrus instead of Aldridge.

I thought Hawes was a bigger need for CHI than Noah, who they already have 2 of in Wallace and Thomas.
    Wallace is going into the Kobe trade.
    You think I'm an idiot, but when Kobe drops his pants and takes a piss on the floor in the middle of the first game you will realize that I'm right.

hahahaha
    FirstComradeStalin wrote: viewpost.gif

HE'S ACTUALLY SUING!! WHAT A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!

Wow, what an idiot.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    He's suing?

This is the first time somebody sued over a loss in a major American sport, isn't? Because I'm fairly confident that it is.

Wow.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, Mark Cuban, you continue to slay me.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Are you kidding? JRich is a much better player than dumb-ass Brandan Wright. It's a deal to clear cap space and possibly maneuver for Yi but fuck that JRich been my boy for years now.

JRich is good, but also injury-prone and overpaid. Wright is a potential franchise-level player, and will be popping up in Garnett-to-Oakland rumors all summer. It's not like Golden State couldn't use a little rebounding after Utah spent a series running Mikan drills against them.

The Cuban thing is ridiculously stupid. Like, "Hey, Dennis Rodman! Do you want to play for my basketball team and also live in my house?" stupid.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

JRich is good, but also injury-prone and overpaid. Wright is a potential franchise-level player, and will be popping up in Garnett-to-Oakland rumors all summer. It's not like Golden State couldn't use a little rebounding after Utah spent a series running Mikan drills against them.

The Cuban thing is ridiculously stupid. Like, "Hey, Dennis Rodman! Do you want to play for my basketball team and also live in my house?" stupid.

The first part worked pretty well for Phil Jackson a decade ago.
    Though, Dennis Rodmans greatest strength was being a physical freak of nature, and that probably has worn down over time.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I miss the days where two of the best rebounders were a tall, skinny guy nicknamed the Worm, and a short fat guy, nicknamed the Round Mound, both playing power forward. Now it's all about agile, athletic guys that all look alike :(

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Joakim Noah will be a good rebounder.
    Tell me, who looks like Joakim Noah?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You mean who his playing style is comparable to?

If anyone, I'd say Noah is like a skinny Dale Davis, and instead of being tough and intimidating as shit, he's just pretty crazy and has a shitload of energy.

I seriously expect him to be a 10/10 guy for most of his career with a +50 FG%. He should be good.

• Options
    edited July 2007

If anyone, I'd say Noah is like a skinny Dale Davis, and instead of being tough and intimidating as shit, he's just pretty crazy and has a shitload of energy.

I seriously expect him to be a 10/10 guy for most of his career with a +50 FG%. He should be good.

You can teach size, at least circumference wise.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You can teach size, at least circumference wise.

That's probably one of the hardest things to teach.

Guys teams want to get bigger (Shawn Bradley) don't, and guys teams want to get smaller (Oliver Miller) don't.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    As a Clipper fan I remember when it was they who were the laughingstocks of the city. Those days appear to be passing as:

Bryson McKenzie signs with Lakers

If you don't know who that is, don't feel bad. Unless you're his mom I wouldn't expect you to.
    The 6-foot-11 center from Gary's West Side High School, who barely played there or in college, signed a contract to play with the Los Angeles Lakers' summer league team this week.

McKenzie will head to Las Vegas to compete in the two-week session, which includes some of the best players from this year's NBA draft.
    McKenzie, who graduated in 2001, played behind Chris Hunter at West Side. The Cougars won the Class 4A state title in 2002.

That's right - the Lakers signed a guy who didn't even start in high school. Who was also the last guy off the bench in college.

Mikan, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, McKenzie.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, I mean, apparently all good rebounders look alike. Joakim Noah will probably be a good rebounder (if he's not he's screwed, considering that it would be a toughness issue.) Who looks like Joakim Noah?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Orlando Magic...
    A max contract for a guy who could conceivably fail to lead his team to the playoffs in a crappy eastern conference, and isn't even the best player on the team. And it only took a second round pick for them to get an extra year on the deal. Lucky!

I'm glad the only real reason I liked the Magic was for Darko.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    As a Clipper fan I remember when it was they who were the laughingstocks of the city. Those days appear to be passing as:

If you don't know who that is, don't feel bad. Unless you're his mom I wouldn't expect you to.
    The 6-foot-11 center from Gary's West Side High School, who barely played there or in college, signed a contract to play with the Los Angeles Lakers' summer league team this week.

McKenzie will head to Las Vegas to compete in the two-week session, which includes some of the best players from this year's NBA draft.
    McKenzie, who graduated in 2001, played behind Chris Hunter at West Side. The Cougars won the Class 4A state title in 2002.

That's right - the Lakers signed a guy who didn't even start in high school. Who was also the last guy off the bench in college.

The Clippers were the laughingstock of the whole country, in all of sports. Worst sports franchise for how many years? =p

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

The Clippers were the laughingstock of the whole country, in all of sports. Worst sports franchise for how many years? =p

That's what makes the Lakers being the new joke topic so great. The Lakers since 2004 are like Sony since PS2.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno. If this Garnett deal ever happens and the Lakers get him, it'll be a dangerous team.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    well then theres also talk about the fish going back too
    holy hell, this is gonna happen, fish is a laker again
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2934966&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    artest... gettin a head start on the season i see

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno. If this Garnett deal ever happens and the Lakers get him, it'll be a dangerous team.

I heard KG was going to Golden State if anywhere, supposedly for Monta Ellis, Brandan Wright, and one of Andris Biedrins or Al Harrington. The Warriors have a lot more to offer than the Lakers, plus Minny GM Kevin McHale doesn't have a fanatical hatred of the Warriors as an ex-Celtic. Don Nelson's old jersey is even hanging in the rafters at Boston Garden.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If anyone gets Garnett they'll be a dangerous team.
    Also, the only reason that Garnett to LA is even being discussed is because Kobe says he'll stay if Garnett comes, which will never happen.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ugh

Yi says he won't play for Milwaukee. The NBA really needs to protect its small market teams here somehow.

Fuck the Chinese gov't officials.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ugh

Yi says he won't play for Milwaukee. The NBA really needs to protect its small market teams here somehow.

This is not unprecedented. (John Elway, Eli Manning, etc.) Milwaukee takes the blame for drafting a kid that had no interest in signing there. Teams shy away from certain draft picks because of how hard it would be to sign them (JD Drew anybody?) all the time. What is the NBA going to do, force him to play for the Bucks? Not happening. You would think that those genius execs would have looked into whether or not the kid would actually sign there, especially given that he's Chinese.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm thinking the Yi situation has more to do with his agent than some Chinese government masterplan.

The whole thing is stupid, anyways. Yao proved that a Chinese player could become a star in a non-huge market without a huge Chinese population. Houston may have more people but it's no LA or NY, and Dallas is the sports capital of Texas. Houston's population is ~5% Asian, while Milwaukee's is ~4%.

None of that stopped Yao from being a media megastar. If I remember right, he's been in 2 Super Bowl commercials, which is more than any other active NBA player. I don't think he's hurting in commercials and marketing.

Yi should just shut up and play. He's only 19 so it's not like he's going to dominate the league as a rookie anyways. Why does it matter how big the media market is when all you do is ride the bench? At best he'll be ready in 3 years, by which time he could probably opt out of his rookie contract anyways and go to Golden State or wherever.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ugh

This is not unprecedented. (John Elway, Eli Manning, etc.) Milwaukee takes the blame for drafting a kid that had no interest in signing there. Teams shy away from certain draft picks because of how hard it would be to sign them (JD Drew anybody?) all the time. What is the NBA going to do, force him to play for the Bucks? Not happening. You would think that those genius execs would have looked into whether or not the kid would actually sign there, especially given that he's Chinese.

Yeh I know sports stars hold out. I remember Jay Bilas saying "No, the Bucks shouldn't take him because he won't play". Now they can trade him for less value or not sign him. Ugh.

I dunno, maybe an agreement before the draft that you'll play for the team that drafts you would be nice and would get rid of any Elway, Manning or Yi stupidity. Probably not legal, but eh.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Unfortunately with the Yi debacle that is going on, it seems like he is going to get his wish ... It's just sad that a player (and in this case a country) feels they are above the entire system that others have come and gone through before ... It just reeks of Elway and, while he had an outstanding career, he was tarnished for awhile because of refusing to sign ... Now it will just be a matter of time to see what team actually ponies up and tries to trade for Yi or if the Bucks are relegated to just releasing him - which really sucks to because the Bucks have always been a team that has had half-decent talent but has never been able to acheive (back to the days of Cassel, Robinson, and Allen) ...

Also, has anyone heard any information about Starbury saying that he wants to play in Italy??? I heard the tail end of it on ESPN a couple days ago but nothing else since ...

WilDPanthA05 on