Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    Ugh

Yi says he won't play for Milwaukee. The NBA really needs to protect its small market teams here somehow.

Fuck the Chinese gov't officials.

This is not unprecedented. (John Elway, Eli Manning, etc.) Milwaukee takes the blame for drafting a kid that had no interest in signing there. Teams shy away from certain draft picks because of how hard it would be to sign them (JD Drew anybody?) all the time. What is the NBA going to do, force him to play for the Bucks? Not happening. You would think that those genius execs would have looked into whether or not the kid would actually sign there, especially given that he's Chinese.

Yeh I know sports stars hold out. I remember Jay Bilas saying "No, the Bucks shouldn't take him because he won't play". Now they can trade him for less value or not sign him. Ugh.

I dunno, maybe an agreement before the draft that you'll play for the team that drafts you would be nice and would get rid of any Elway, Manning or Yi stupidity. Probably not legal, but eh.

All they would need to make it "legal" would be to include in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. After that legality goes out the window. I think that's how they got the age rule in.

Also - the Bucks don't have to release him. If Yi plays pro basketball anywhere in the world next year, Milwaukee will retain his rights. The only way Milwaukee loses those rights is if Yi sits out a year from pro ball entirely. If he does that he'll regress to the point where no one even wants him anymore.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, this story just broke. Basically, the FBI are investigating an NBA official who was betting on NBA games that he was officiating over the last two years. This is probably the last thing the NBA needs. Most fans already have their own crazy conspiracy theories regarding everything from draft fixing to suspicious calls. This story can only validate those hardcore nuts who are certain that something fishy is going on in the league.

D:

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You don't have to be a hardcore nut to realize how awful the NBA officiating is. Wether it's willfull game fixing or sheer incompetence - officiating in the NBA is a huge fucking issue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wouldn't it be something if it was Joey Crawford? After the whole deal with him throwing out Tim Duncan for laughing.... what better way to shave points than to throw out a team's best player?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe this will finally force Stern to admit there is a real problem.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wouldn't it be something if it was Joey Crawford? After the whole deal with him throwing out Tim Duncan for laughing.... what better way to shave points than to throw out a team's best player?

According to ESPN it's Tim Donaghy.

According to this site , in Donaghy-called games:

- the home team failed to cover the spread 60% of the time.
    - the Over was passed 60% of the time (3rd highest among all refs).

Also, Phoenix are cheapskates, trading Kurt Thomas and their 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010 to Seattle for a future 2nd rounder and the $8 million trade exception.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, sorry to interrupt your thread, but I heard on the radio early this morning that some team's owner, coach, GM, or something was saying that their team was going to transfer to Oklahoma City.

Is it the Nawlins team that we had last year, or is it another one?

From what I heard, the OKC team did phenomenally well saleswise, and even though I'm not a fan of basketball, I think it would be nice to have a major league team in the state from a major sport.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »

Also, Phoenix are cheapskates, trading Kurt Thomas and their 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010 to Seattle for a future 2nd rounder and the $8 million trade exception.

Its the owner, he's basically mandated that the front office do whatever it has to to get out of paying the luxury tax.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, sorry to interrupt your thread, but I heard on the radio early this morning that some team's owner, coach, GM, or something was saying that their team was going to transfer to Oklahoma City.

From what I heard, the OKC team did phenomenally well saleswise, and even though I'm not a fan of basketball, I think it would be nice to have a major league team in the state from a major sport.

There were rumors it was going to be New Orleans even before Hurricane Katrina, but now most of the scuttlebutt has the Seattle Sonics as the team looking to move to Okalahoma.

It would be difficult for the New Orleans team to move because it would look like they were abandoning the city after the disaster. Commissioner Stern has been one of the loudest supporters of bringing the NBA back to NO post-Katrina.

The Sonics (and their sister WNBA team) were recently purchased by a group of businessmen from Oklahoma. The group was headed by Clay Bennett, from Oklahoma City, who has repeatedly said he wants an NBA team in OKC. Further, Stern has been one of the loudest critics of the failure of the city of Seattle to fund a new arena for the Sonics, and has called the Sonics' current arena lease agreement with the city the "most onerous in the league."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

There were rumors it was going to be New Orleans even before Hurricane Katrina, but now most of the scuttlebutt has the Seattle Sonics as the team looking to move to Okalahoma.

It would be difficult for the New Orleans team to move because it would look like they were abandoning the city after the disaster. Commissioner Stern has been one of the loudest supporters of bringing the NBA back to NO post-Katrina.

The Sonics (and their sister WNBA team) were recently purchased by a group of businessmen from Oklahoma. The group was headed by Clay Bennett, from Oklahoma City, who has repeatedly said he wants an NBA team in OKC. Further, Stern has been one of the loudest critics of the failure of the city of Seattle to fund a new arena for the Sonics, and has called the Sonics' current arena lease agreement with the city the "most onerous in the league."

:^:

Thank you very much, good sir.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn, the Sonics are really doing a nice job, Presti really knows his stuff, guess working under Buford and Pops must've been a damn good apprenticeship. FIVE first round picks in the next 3 drafts, that is ridiculous.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's still the tiniest bit of hope in me that an NBA team (Hornets or Sonics) will move into the Sprint Center here in KC, but sadly that doesn't look to be in the cards. Hopefully we're at least able to land an NHL team for the 2008-2009 season.

As for the ref thing, I'm surprised it took this long for a gambling ref in a major sport to get busted.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

Its the owner, he's basically mandated that the front office do whatever it has to to get out of paying the luxury tax.

What I don't get is that the Suns were contenders when he bought them, but he seems more interested in saving a few bucks (relative to being a multimillionaire) than winning a title.

As a Clippers fan I can relate to fans of teams with cheapskate owners. It was damn frustrating, and the Clippers were never anywhere close to where the Suns are right now.

Who's going to guard Tim Duncan? The trade exception? And Kurt Thomas was an expiring deal - these things are assets in the NBA, and Phoenix is paying people to take it off their hands. If they want to clear cap space, get rid of a big money, long term deal like Marcus Banks or Boris Diaw. This is just insanity.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Marcus Banks' contract is so awful. His dead weight is arguably going to cost them a title.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Isn't there still a slight possibility they could be making a run at KG? The trade exception could still be useful right? I still see this as a money saving move of course. Here's hoping for the Suns' sake that Amare can pester Duncan like Thomas did. The Spurs while being repeat favorites, still have a lot of work to do ahead, they haven't exactly gotten younger, and they now have another title contender in Houston (Scola, an energized Wells maybe? Remember, this guy destroyed the Spurs 3 years ago), to go with Dallas and Phoenix as well.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, has anyone heard any information about Starbury saying that he wants to play in Italy??? I heard the tail end of it on ESPN a couple days ago but nothing else since ...

He's said that he wants to play there when his contract runs out. He went there with his family and they loved it. I think he even said it was going to be kind of like a "David Beckham thing...but in reverse".

David Beckham>>>>>>>>Stefan Marbury

That's I think about 3 years from now. He may change his mind.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Kurt Thomas maxed out his contract for 07-08, so he was the big problem with the luxury tax. They probably did it just to dump him, as good a defender as he is.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    Damn, the Sonics are really doing a nice job, Presti really knows his stuff, guess working under Buford and Pops must've been a damn good apprenticeship. FIVE first round picks in the next 3 drafts, that is ridiculous.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing will top 10 top 10 picks in 8 years for the Bulls.
    And yes, some of those picks were created by trading some of the drafted players, but still, 10 top 10.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Marcus Banks' contract is so awful. His dead weight is arguably going to cost them a title.
    Isaiah will trade for him after a few more 40 point summer league games.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm thinking the Yi situation has more to do with his agent than some Chinese government masterplan.

The whole thing is stupid, anyways. Yao proved that a Chinese player could become a star in a non-huge market without a huge Chinese population. Houston may have more people but it's no LA or NY, and Dallas is the sports capital of Texas. Houston's population is ~5% Asian, while Milwaukee's is ~4%.

None of that stopped Yao from being a media megastar. If I remember right, he's been in 2 Super Bowl commercials, which is more than any other active NBA player. I don't think he's hurting in commercials and marketing.

Yi should just shut up and play. He's only 19 so it's not like he's going to dominate the league as a rookie anyways. Why does it matter how big the media market is when all you do is ride the bench? At best he'll be ready in 3 years, by which time he could probably opt out of his rookie contract anyways and go to Golden State or wherever.

As I recall, Yi is pretty happy to play anywhere. It's a combination of his agent and the team that he came from that is making all the fuss. The "official" reason for not wanting Yi to play in Milwaukee is that he won't get enough minutes to develop and China really wants Yi raring to go for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Now, whether you actually believe that is the reason or if that's just what they're saying so they don't sound like total assholes is up to you, but it IS a slightly valid argument. With CV and Bogut manning the front court, Yi doesn't look like he'd be playing major minutes.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    Isn't there still a slight possibility they could be making a run at KG? The trade exception could still be useful right? I still see this as a money saving move of course. Here's hoping for the Suns' sake that Amare can pester Duncan like Thomas did. The Spurs while being repeat favorites, still have a lot of work to do ahead, they haven't exactly gotten younger, and they now have another title contender in Houston (Scola, an energized Wells maybe? Remember, this guy destroyed the Spurs 3 years ago), to go with Dallas and Phoenix as well.

Well, they definitely could use KG. Amare doesn't really do defense. He matched up against Duncan in game 1 of their series last year and Duncan put up 33pts and 16reb (8 offensive). Kurt Thomas started every game after that. In games guarded by Thomas, Duncan averaged 26pts and 13reb (4 offensive).

Underdog wrote: »
    As I recall, Yi is pretty happy to play anywhere. It's a combination of his agent and the team that he came from that is making all the fuss. The "official" reason for not wanting Yi to play in Milwaukee is that he won't get enough minutes to develop and China really wants Yi raring to go for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Now, whether you actually believe that is the reason or if that's just what they're saying so they don't sound like total assholes is up to you, but it IS a slightly valid argument. With CV and Bogut manning the front court, Yi doesn't look like he'd be playing major minutes.

Well, if China or Yi's agent think any NBA team out there is going to turn over the PF spot to Yi from day 1, they have another thing coming. Yi is a project, he was drafted as a project. If this summer was any indication, he's farther away from being NBA-ready than anyone thought.

There's not a single NBA team Yi would start for right now. The best thing for his basketball career is to sign and start working now, so that by next summer he could be a legit player, a la Andrea Bargnani.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so what are the chances of gilbert showing up to team USA camp this august?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Wow.

Rondo
    Allen
    Pierce
    Garnett
    Perkins

with guys like Tony Allen and Ryan Gomes off the bench, that's a 48-53 win team in the East and a definite contender to make the Finals.

Though it'll suck in a few years when those guys are broken down and Al Jefferson is being the next Elton Brand somewhere else, so enjoy it now Boston.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This really smells like a 30 cent on the dollar trade that McHale agreed to because KG wouldn't do anything that actually helped Minnesota.
    Oh Kevin, you stupid moron you.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Then again, Jefferson's contract is worth 20 million less then KG and the expiring deal gives them massive cap space, so if they sign Gilbert to a big contract they can build around Arenas-Jefferson.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Al is good, I'm going to miss watching him.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Then again, Jefferson's contract is worth 20 million less then KG and the expiring deal gives them massive cap space, so if they sign Gilbert to a big contract they can build around Arenas-Jefferson.

Unless the Wiz go in the tank this season, good luck signing Gilbert away, he's only opting out of his contract so he can sign a bigger deal, but that deal will most likely be with Washington.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Unless the Wiz go in the tank this season, good luck signing Gilbert away, he's only opting out of his contract so he can sign a bigger deal, but that deal will most likely be with Washington.

Thank you for informing me.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    As the trade currently stands, the Celtics would send Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and two first-round picks to the Timberwolves for Garnett.

Al Jefferson is not included in the deal at the moment
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

haha what

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just a year ago I was hoping for Iverson/Garnett.

Now we get.... nothing? Wonderful.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So KG is just going to go from one shitty team to another? I thought he wanted to win a championship, and finally get the respect he deserves....

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    In what universe is KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen a bad team?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I guarantee you Boston will still be one of the bottom 5 teams in the league at the end of the 07-08 season.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That doesn't even make sense. That would be like the third best trio in the nba.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That doesn't even make sense. That would be like the third best trio in the nba.

Jefferson isn't that bad either, change his position to keep him in the starting lineup, and thats a team.
    It only has a shot for 2-3 years until those guys start retiring, but they're contenders for a short period of time.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So KG is just going to go from one shitty team to another? I thought he wanted to win a championship, and finally get the respect he deserves....

He wouldnt win a championship on that team but they would easily be suddenly a top 4 team in the East.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    regardless of where kg ends up, gilbert is still winning the east this coming season, hes angry and hes hungry
    the prediction is made

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    regardless of where kg ends up, gilbert is still winning the east this coming season, hes angry and hes hungry
    the prediction is made

The Takeover: Reloaded

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The Suns won't have him, they just traded their best defender for a trade exception, their owner is a cheapskate who could win 5 years in a row if he paid the freaking luxury tax.
    I guess thats what happens with the Suns now. Use the options on your contract and you get traded (thats what Kurt Thomas did, by the way.)

Picardathon on