Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    Yes but most guards don't contribute in all 4 categories while big men are more likeley to contribute in fg% rebs and blocks. Also some big men are good at the small men categories: I.E. Diaw, Miller, Yao, Okur, Dirk, KG. I really don't like the Oreb Dreb thing. Anyways, big men are almost always more valuable because they are a lot rarer, while there are dozens of guards that give you points and 3s.

There are always exceptions to every generality. There's also plenty of big men who don't help in FG% or Blocks (Chris Webber, Troy Murphy) as much as Dwyane Wade.

Personally I don't care either way. All I need is to know what it's going to be so I can adjust my draft accordingly.

Oh, and the warmup suit thing sounds like Stern and Stu Jackson have way too much time on their hands. I predict Gilbert Arenas will throw his warmup suit into the stands every game.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PLEASE NOTE:

I've moved the draft time to 11:30 PST / 2:30 EST on Saturday, Oct 28th. I realize that people might have a variety of things going on Sunday night and that it was really only a convenient time for West Coasters.

PLEASE:

Everyone registered try to either make the draft or do pre-ranking. I want as many active owners as possible, it's a hell of a lot more fun that way!

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    (1) to keep this afloat

and

(2) to say that I really regret not using nba.com now. I've gone and investigated their free fantasy leagues, and they're noticeably better than yahoo! in basically every conceivable way. I won't fuck with this one, as obviously everyone is registered, and we'll be able to play out and have fun, but the customization on nba.com is sooooo much better. Better scoring options, you can custom set player positions (like G/GF/F/FC etc.), you can create conferences and divisions in your head-to-head leagues, and eventually they'll have free live scoring, too. It's awesome. If you're looking for a place to play free fantasy, nba.com is EASILY the best I've seen.

(3) Live Draft on Saturday, Oct 28th at 11:30 PST / 2:30 EST! Be there or be square!

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    PLEASE NOTE:

I've moved the draft time to 11:30 PST / 2:30 EST on Saturday, Oct 28th. I realize that people might have a variety of things going on Sunday night and that it was really only a convenient time for West Coasters.

PLEASE:

Everyone registered try to either make the draft or do pre-ranking. I want as many active owners as possible, it's a hell of a lot more fun that way!
    OP updated.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    By the way, the Warriors are 6-0 in the preseason, which doesn't mean much, I know, but they've been pretty easily putting up over 100 in ever contest. This should be a fun year.

ALSO

Fantasy Draft on Saturday! I've drafted one fantasy team so far, and it contains 4 Warriors. Can I break that record come this weekend? We'll see.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    By the way, the Warriors are 6-0 in the preseason, which doesn't mean much, I know, but they've been pretty easily putting up over 100 in ever contest. This should be a fun year.

ALSO

Fantasy Draft on Saturday! I've drafted one fantasy team so far, and it contains 4 Warriors. Can I break that record come this weekend? We'll see.

Baron and Dunleavy appear poised for breakout years, although I'm hesitant on Baron. He's burned a lot of owners over the last few years.

It's nice to see Dajuan Wagner finally used the way he should be, as a designated gunner in the Ben Gordon/Eddie House mold, as opposed to Cleveland trying to turn him into a point guard. The kid always could fill up the bucket, as shown by his dropping 100 in a high school game.

I'm been impressed every time I've seen Monta Ellis. Granted that hasn't been many times, but he really gets after the ball defensively.

Nothing much going on down here in Clipperland. Cassell's sitting out the preseason with what's not expected to be a serious injury, but he probably wouldn't be playing much in October anyways at his age. Our boy Liv has been coming along nicely, and Tim Thomas has started to look comfortable in the last 2 games. Korolev has played well but is probably a year away.

The biggest news is some minor quibbling over a few million dollars over 5-6 years in extending Kaman. I also wouldn't have minded seeing Sofocles Shortsanitis over here in the preseason, especially after his impressive performance against Team USA this summer.

Oh, and the HS kid Bynum is going to be starting at C for Mr. Bryant and the Kobettes.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I just had to accept the other day that the Warriors were more or less the present-day Clippers, and it hurt, except for the fact that we're not owned by a racist prick like Donald Sterling (who's paid out on various settlements about racial discrimination in his LA slums, as well as openly running the team on a profit-only motive, fuck winning unless it sells tickets) then I felt a little better.

If nothing else, the Warriors are going to fill up the bucket this year.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    I wouldn't say it's quite that bad. The old Clippers wouldn't have spent the money the Warriors have on guys like Richardson and Murphy, or traded for a high-priced player like Baron Davis. However poorly the Warriors have performed over the last few years, at least they're trying to be decent. The Clippers weren't.

Sterling's a real estate guy who treats the Clippers like just another plot. He's got a prime location in downtown LA, and it's going to go up in value no matter what he does, so why should he do anything? Thankfully someone explained to him that if you fix up your property a little (like the Lakers) it goes up in value even more than if you just let it sit there dilapidated.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Is there any we could make the draft a few hours earlier?

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    Ummm ... how much earlier? I dunno if I really want it before 10:30, that might be too early for PST.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    [quote=The NY Daily]Saying that Greg Anthony should "never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball because I do remember the kind of player he was" Isiah Thomas yesterday criticized the ESPN analyst for comments Anthony made on draft night after Thomas selected South Carolina forward Renaldo Balkman with the 20th pick in the draft.

"This so-called former Knick, who on draft night with millions of people watching had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and he talks about a kid that he has absolutely no idea about. I'm glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

"I thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It's different had he not wore a Knicks uniform. The guy claimed to have been a Knick and to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night.... I know a Piston never would do that. A Celtic would never do that and a Laker never would do that. Just goes to show you what we're dealing with."[/quote]
    It.. it begins?

Whooo!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    As stupid as Isaiah's moves usually are and as baffling as the Balkman pick was and as irrelevant what teams Greg Anthony played for is, Isaiah does have a point in saying that Anthony had probably not seen much or anything of Balkman prior to the draft.

Not that ESPN's so-called "draft analysts" are any good anyways. I remember Jay Bilas somehow knowing Josh Smith was going to be a bust and Steven A. Smith going insane when the Raptors had the audacity to pick Charlie Villanueva. If anything, Isaiah's draft record is better than ESPN's draft analysis record.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    Ummm ... how much earlier? I dunno if I really want it before 10:30, that might be too early for PST.
    2 hours? Is that ok?

Vapid on
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    2 hours? Is that ok?
    Umm ... sorry, no -- I have no idea what I'm going to be doing at 9:30 on a Saturday morning. Could be anything, really. Sorry, but I think I'm sticking by this time.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Sorry so ok then what time would it be on PST?

Vapid on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's at 11:30 AM PST right now, which is already semi-early for me.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yep -- it's 11:30 AM PST and 2:30 EST. I think that's probably the best time we can get to accommodate people. If you're on the West Coast it's 11:30.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    I think I'm going to be completely lost after making the first two picks.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The sheer excitement of a draft vaulted me out of bed this morning.

Yes, I lead a very exciting life.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    My sleeper this year suddenly got all popular around the Internets.

I'm scared one of you will take him.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Is it Rajan Rondo? IS IT!?

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You fool! You've told everyone!

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I pick 7th.

D:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Agggg fuck. 3rd is EXACTLY where I did not want to be.

Mother fucker.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    HEY GUYS, AT LEAST YOU'RE NOT 12TH.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So sorry, celery.

Kobe at 7th. Wheeee!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    If anyone is interested, this is how our draft went:
      Round 1 1. L. James Huzzah? 2. K. Garnett Rose Gardenauts 3. S. Marion dots 4. D. Nowitzki Fullie Ballnuts 5. D. Wade The Ice Crea... 6. E. Brand Antiquated N... 7. K. Bryant Pony Riders 8. G. Arenas London Reneg... 9. S. Nash Werdna 10. A. Iverson I Love Ronni... 11. C. Paul Abdi 12. R. Allen The Tender ACLs Round 2 1. Y. Ming The Tender ACLs 2. V. Carter Abdi 3. T. Duncan I Love Ronni... 4. C. Bosh Werdna 5. P. Pierce London Reneg... 6. J. O'Neal Pony Riders 7. A. Stoudemire Antiquated N... 8. T. McGrady The Ice Crea... 9. A. Kirilenko Fullie Ballnuts 10. D. Howard dots 11. J. Richardson Rose Gardenauts 12. T. Parker Huzzah? Round 3 1. M. Camby Huzzah? 2. J. Kidd Rose Gardenauts 3. J. Smith dots 4. C. Billups Fullie Ballnuts 5. J. Johnson The Ice Crea... 6. M. Redd Antiquated N... 7. L. Odom Pony Riders 8. B. Diaw London Reneg... 9. R. Lewis Werdna 10. R. Artest I Love Ronni... 11. S. O'Neal Abdi 12. C. Boozer The Tender ACLs Round 4 1. B. Miller The Tender ACLs 2. D. West Abdi 3. M. Bibby I Love Ronni... 4. C. Anthony Werdna 5. G. Wallace London Reneg... 6. B. Wallace Pony Riders 7. R. Wallace Antiquated N... 8. P. Gasol The Ice Crea... 9. M. Okur Fullie Ballnuts 10. R. Jefferson dots 11. P. Stojakovic Rose Gardenauts 12. A. Jamison Huzzah? Round 5 1. S. Marbury Huzzah? 2. K. Hinrich Rose Gardenauts 3. C. Kaman dots 4. B. Davis Fullie Ballnuts 5. E. Okafor The Ice Crea... 6. J. Terry Antiquated N... 7. R. Felton Pony Riders 8. M. James London Reneg... 9. Z. Randolph Werdna 10. Z. Ilgauskas I Love Ronni... 11. C. Webber Abdi 12. C. Butler The Tender ACLs Round 6 1. A. Miller The Tender ACLs 2. S. Abdur-Rahim Abdi 3. A. Iguodala I Love Ronni... 4. M. Ginobili Werdna 5. S. Battier London Reneg... 6. R. Hamilton Pony Riders 7. S. Dalembert Antiquated N... 8. B. Gordon The Ice Crea... 9. J. Howard Fullie Ballnuts 10. J. Nelson dots 11. L. Ridnour Rose Gardenauts 12. A. Morrison Huzzah? Round 7 1. R. Bell Huzzah? 2. C. Villanueva Rose Gardenauts 3. C. Maggette dots 4. T. Murphy Fullie Ballnuts 5. A. Bogut The Ice Crea... 6. H. Turkoglu Antiquated N... 7. A. Nocioni Pony Riders 8. M. Peterson London Reneg... 9. L. Barbosa Werdna 10. A. Harrington I Love Ronni... 11. S. Cassell Abdi 12. D. Granger The Tender ACLs Round 8 1. M. Williams The Tender ACLs 2. L. Hughes Abdi 3. R. Davis I Love Ronni... 4. N. Krstic Werdna 5. D. Gooden London Reneg... 6. M. Williams Pony Riders 7. J. Childress Antiquated N... 8. R. Foye The Ice Crea... 9. T. Ford Fullie Ballnuts 10. M. Miller dots 11. T. Chandler Rose Gardenauts 12. D. Stoudamire Huzzah? Round 9 1. S. Claxton Huzzah? 2. B. Roy Rose Gardenauts 3. W. Szczerbiak dots 4. K. Korver Fullie Ballnuts 5. J. Redick The Ice Crea... 6. C. Wilcox Antiquated N... 7. R. Alston Pony Riders 8. B. Knight London Reneg... 9. J. Magloire Werdna 10. B. Simmons I Love Ronni... 11. L. Deng Abdi 12. D. West The Tender ACLs Round 10 1. C. Frye The Tender ACLs 2. E. Jones Abdi 3. D. Milicic I Love Ronni... 4. B. Wells Werdna 5. T. Prince London Reneg... 6. C. Mobley Pony Riders 7. K. Martin Antiquated N... 8. D. Williams The Ice Crea... 9. S. Francis Fullie Ballnuts 10. R. LaFrentz dots 11. D. Fisher Rose Gardenauts 12. K. Thomas Huzzah? Round 11 1. P. Brown Huzzah? 2. D. Marshall Rose Gardenauts 3. S. Telfair dots 4. M. Dunleavy Fullie Ballnuts 5. R. Gay The Ice Crea... 6. S. Parker Antiquated N... 7. J. Crawford Pony Riders 8. S. Jackson London Reneg... 9. V. Radmanovic Werdna 10. U. Haslem I Love Ronni... 11. A. Walker Abdi 12. T. Ratliff The Tender ACLs Round 12 1. R. Rondo The Tender ACLs 2. M. Bonner Abdi 3. G. Buckner I Love Ronni... 4. M. Pietrus Werdna 5. Ju. Jones London Reneg... 6. Ja. Jones Pony Riders 7. Ja. Williams Antiquated N... 8. L. Aldridge The Ice Crea... 9. N. Mohammed Fullie Ballnuts 10. M. Harpring dots 11. B. Bowen Rose Gardenauts 12. M. Finley Huzzah?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I missed the draft. I hate missing drafts, because thats my biggest strength.

Vapid on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    I missed the draft. I hate missing drafts, because thats my biggest strength.
    Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say that I was hungover like woah and missed the draft. I didn't even remember till about 4 o'clock today about the two extra beers I drank on the way home and at one point I was taking sips from this Scottish hobos flask. Oh yeah, and I had finished off a whole bottle of wine in the afternoon, too. I didn't even stand up until about 2 o'clock, and I had to sit right back down cuz I thought I was gonna puke.

Anyway, I'm real sorry I missed the draft, but based on my squad, actually the auto-draft went okay. KG, JRich, Roy, and Villanueva are all guys I would have targeted anyway. I'm particularly pleased with Roy and Villanueva, those guys are sleepers.

And whoever offered me that trade -- is that a joke? Gerald Wallace and Mike James for KG and Brandon Roy? Uhhh ... no.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Also I want to unload Jason Kidd. Fuck that wife-beater, I don't want him on my squad.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Jesus fuck this is depressing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2642131

One of the greatest basketball minds of all time is gone.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Also I want to unload Jason Kidd. Fuck that wife-beater, I don't want him on my squad.

I put Kobe off my pre-draft list in case I couldn't get up in time. Kidd and Kobe will never make my squads. I'm pretty stoked bout how I came out, the only player I wish I could have nabbed was Diaw.

Last year Bell was my sleeper...this year it's Pietrus and Barbs.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

I put Kobe off my pre-draft list in case I couldn't get up in time. Kidd and Kobe will never make my squads. I'm pretty stoked bout how I came out, the only player I wish I could have nabbed was Diaw.

Last year Bell was my sleeper...this year it's Pietrus and Barbs.
    Yahoo apparently ranked Pietrus #277. That's a crime. Did they get the memo he's starting?

Last year I was like a day too late getting Diaw off waivers, because I wasn't convinced that it was just a flukey early start to the season, finally I decided he was worth it, and he had been taken off the wire like 2 hours before I got on. Man I was pissed.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Someone just offered me the player they got in the 4th round for the player I got in the third round.

That was a silly offer. If I'd wanted him, I'd have drafted him.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Someone just offered me the player they got in the 4th round for the player I got in the third round.

I'm still trying to move Hinrich and Stojakavich, but I think I'm running into the same thing. If people wanted them, they'd have drafted them, and I don't want to drop too much value for players in return.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:

I'm still trying to move Hinrich and Stojakavich, but I think I'm running into the same thing. If people wanted them, they'd have drafted them, and I don't want to drop too much value for players in return.

Not necessarily true. After the third or fourth pick I tend to draft based off need for at least a couple of picks. Besides rounds don't mean shit after the first few weeks. A 3rd rounder for a 6 rounder might be an even trade.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Since I'm bored and on the topic of our draft, who will turn out to be the worst pick made on Saturday and best bargain?

I have to go with Matt Bonner being the worst pick of the draft and Villanueva in the 7th being the biggest bargain.

I will omit my pick-up of Pietrus in the 12th simply to pretend to be objective -- and yes I did know he will be starting.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    Since I'm bored and on the topic of our draft, who will turn out to be the worst pick made on Saturday and best bargain?

I have to go with Matt Bonner being the worst pick of the draft and Villanueva in the 7th being the biggest bargain.

I will omit my pick-up of Pietrus in the 12th simply to pretend to be objective -- and yes I did know he will be starting.
    I saw Matt Bonner got selected and I started cracking up. There's like 300 guys on waivers who will do better numbers than him.

Chucky Eyebrows should be a nice pick-up. I was excited auto-draft got him. Emeka Okafor, Dwight Howard, and Jameer Nelson are all players I'm expecting good things form this season, but I didn't see where they went in the draft.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Werdna wrote:

I saw Matt Bonner got selected and I started cracking up. There's like 300 guys on waivers who will do better numbers than him.

Chucky Eyebrows should be a nice pick-up. I was excited auto-draft got him. Emeka Okafor, Dwight Howard, and Jameer Nelson are all players I'm expecting good things form this season, but I didn't see where they went in the draft.
    I got Howard in the late second round, and Nelson in the sixth.

deadonthestreet on