Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dwight Howard should be early second, late first in my opinion. Probably late first, really. 6th round for Nelson is about right, although he might prove to be worth more than that.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dwight Howard should never be late 1st round this year. Unless the league is a 16 player league. His ft% and Tos kill.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The pick I least liked was Adam Morrison in the 6th, #72 overall. He's likely to be a 3-cat guy at best, and he likely won't even be starting. That's too early when guys like Villanueva, Nocioni and Peterson are still available. Stuff like Bonner isn't that bad because it was the 12th round, where you're talking waiver wire material anyways. But in the 6th there are still plenty of quality, PROVEN players around.

The picks that I could see paying off big-time are Pietrus in round 12 (#136 overall), Brevin Knight in round 9 (#104 overall), and Deron Williams in round 10 (#116 overall).

Brevin seems to be underdrafted every year, yet he always winds up in the top 50-60 by April. To be able to get a player who's top 5 in 2 categories (assists and steals) that late is a steal.

Deron closed last year strong, yet didn't get the carryover boost like Josh Smith did. Sloan's system has always meant assists for PGs, even scrubs like Arroyo and Keith McLeod. Couple that with Deron's ability to shoot the 3 and his size making him a solid rebounder, and it wouldn't surprise to see his value approach that of Nelson, Felton, or Mike James - guys who went 4-5 rounds earlier.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Williams in the 10th and Brevin in the 9th is ridiculous.

Williams is a good player, he just had some growing pains last year, and now Fisher is there to take some pressure off him.

Brevin in the 9th is criminal. I know he's supposed to lose more minutes to Felton this year, but how can you bench a guy that produces like he does? He's too good to NOT put up numbers.

Also I was denied Kevin Martin by waiver priority, but he should have NEVER been on the wire. That guy is an easy 12th round call to make, realistically he'll prove worth at least an 8-10 I think.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm really glad Arenas fell to me at 8th, and Pierce at 13th. After Pierce ther was a clear tier drop.

The worst pick in the draft was probably Tony parker in the 2nd round. Or Shaq in the 3rd.

Wally World in the 10th is highway robbery.

Vapid on
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Arenas is MURDER on TOs and FG%, trust me, he was my first round pick last year. He could also stand to hand out some assists. If I didn't have Joe Johnson, too, to balance him out, Gilbert might have really fucked my team up.

and Wally "Sippin' on Some" Sczerbiak is a bum. His numbers are going to decline for the rest of his career. His FG% and FT% are nice, though.

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Yea Arenas is murder on TOs, but hes the best fantasy pg. Hes young, he improves every year, and doesnt miss many games (I hope I didnt jinx myself). I like him more than nash and AI who are getting older, paul who has some question marks and doesnt shoot the 3, and Wade who doesnt shoot the 3 much either.

Wally world was a top 50 player last year. He should be a 5-7th rounder.

Vapid on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Especially with his new knees.

Dude has looked good in the preseason.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't know think Arenas is better than Wade. Wade contributes everywhere but 3s and TOs. Arenas' TOs are just as bad as Wade's, and Arenas can't match him in FG%, Reb and Blk. Plus Wade plays 2 positions.

Oh, and celery - that would be me (Fullie Ballnuts) taking KevMart from you.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    I don't know think Arenas is better than Wade. Wade contributes everywhere but 3s and TOs. Arenas' TOs are just as bad as Wade's, and Arenas can't match him in FG%, Reb and Blk. Plus Wade plays 2 positions.

Oh, and celery - that would be me (Fullie Ballnuts) taking KevMart from you.
    Fucker.

And you're right, Wade is way better than Arenas. The difference in efficiency is ridiculous -- higher asts:TO, plus MUCH higher FG%. Trust me, you'll see. Arenas goes 14/18 one night, floats your whole team for the week, then next week he turns in a 2/20 (oh God I remember those) and you can pretty much kiss FG% for the entire week goodbye. Ideally your team will fall in the 45% range, but one player like Gil on a bad week can pull it into the low 40s. Wade is a super consistent 47% guy, he rarely dips below that.

And also -- FIVE MINUTES TILL THE NEW SEASON! WOOOOOO!!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    amare vs kobe, is kobe gonna be healthy enough?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    amare vs kobe, is kobe gonna be healthy enough?
    Is Amare going to be healthy enough?

Edit: This is boring. Play some ball dudes.

Edit edit:

Ugliest banner EVER. Sweet jesus.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dammit no kobe tonight

EDIT: WTF?! wheres amare?!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Wow Miami got killed.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geez, my suns are rusty. Looks like it'll take about a month before they put something together. Bright spots are that Amare can run up and down the floor and Barbs had a career high.

It'll be interesting to see which one of you jumps at Bynum's inflated numbers and picks him up off waivers. Don't hold your breath -- the suns didn't play any Defense.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    in other news, i kinda like the new lebron ads, they are better than the first set

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Whoooo, I'm in the lead!

And it's probably the last time I'll be there.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see which one of you jumps at Bynum's inflated numbers and picks him up off waivers. Don't hold your breath -- the suns didn't play any Defense.
    Hahahaha -- that's exactly what I thought. But what do I know? That's what I thought about Diaw last year, and look how that went? (Although he did have an off-night last night). But still, I distinctly remember Delonte West's triple double opening night last year, and no, that didn't last.

Still, giving Kurt Thomas the business inside is nothing to scoff at. If anything the real concern for fantasy managers holding Lakers is Kobe's return. Those nice numbers from Lamar Odom? They will not survive the Mamba's wrath.

edit: crap -- I just saw that I'm up against Odom this week, and I know the Warriors aren't playing any damn D tonight. HEAL Kobe's knee HEAL!!

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh also I thought I'd explain the 2-day waiver window, because it's been bugging me, and I had to remember why I did it.

Last year I played in a league with no window and there were some managers that would constantly, on a night-by-night basis, just grab waiver players to fill in any empty roster spots on any given night. They had like 3 players on their roster that were in constant rotation. So I just made a window so you couldn't do that, plus this way you're not penalized for not logging on in the middle of someone's triple-double and putting a waiver claim on him like that other basketball obsessed fantasy nerd might do (read: me).

Although it's a bitch right now because my waiver priority is so low, I just know I'm not getting Foye.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    I got Bynum.

Because, well, i need a backup center. And Raef just won't get the playing time, I don't think.

I expect I'll dump him pretty soon.

Also: I have three Clippers. I don't know how I feel about this.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I always have a player or two that I'm ready to dump for an experiment at a moment's notice. I'm trying to dump Donyell, but the two waivers I've dropped him for I lost on priority (Kevin Martin and I'm assuming Foye). Once I get confirmation on Foye, I'll find some hot hand from the first couple games to throw on my bench.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    My god Paul Pierce is good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dwight Howard going 9-10 from the charity stripe surprised me.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It's hard for me to keep up with the NBA, because there's no team that I really care about. Maybe that team could be Memphis, because it's in Tennessee, but it's still too far away. And I don't know any of their players.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    jag0666jag0666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How about them bucks last night? 8)

I think it was more of the pistons being a little down this year. I think the pistons are going to hurt all year with big ben defending the paint. The bucks were scoring big time in the paint last night.

I think things are gonna be good for the bucks this year 8)

jag0666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    It's hard for me to keep up with the NBA, because there's no team that I really care about. Maybe that team could be Memphis, because it's in Tennessee, but it's still too far away. And I don't know any of their players.
    May I recommend the Warriors? You'll learn important lessons in eternal disappointment and endless frustration. You'll learn to cherish the small treasures amid the sea of pain and suffering. You'll learn that no matter how good things might seem in theory, they never actually work in real life. All important life lessons I carry with me wherever I go.

I've decided to jump on the Magic Bandwagon out East -- Dwight, Darko, Jameer, JJ, Grant Hill. They should be a real surprise team this year. I've also decided it's not so much a Bandwagon as it is a Monorail, which makes it that much cooler.

Also you see Portland's nice little mini-upset? Both Roy and Ridnour had nice games for my fantasy squad. I was watching it alongside the Warriors game and Ridnour was playing incredible. He might be an All-Star level guard this year, we'll see, and Roy has my early vote for ROY, although Rudy Gay had a nice game off the bench, too.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    May I recommend the Warriors? You'll learn important lessons in eternal disappointment and endless frustration. You'll learn to cherish the small treasures amid the sea of pain and suffering. You'll learn that no matter how good things might seem in theory, they never actually work in real life. All important life lessons I carry with me wherever I go.
    They could be a very nice complement to the Titans.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    spymonkeyspymonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I went to the Magic game yesterday to watch us demolish the Bulls, and let me tell you, if my team stays healthy, they could be one helluva scary team to face in the postseason. It's just getting there that might be tough...

spymonkey on
    Spymonkey7465-tds.jpg
    Spymonkey7465-mkds.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    spymonkey wrote:
    I went to the Magic game yesterday to watch us demolish the Bulls, and let me tell you, if my team stays healthy, they could be one helluva scary team to face in the postseason. It's just getting there that might be tough...
    You can't have a crappy regular season but be a threat in the post. It just doesn't work that way in the NBA.

That said, I really think the Magic have a shot at 50 wins this season, which is WHY I think they might be a threat in the post season.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    You can't have a crappy regular season but be a threat in the post. It just doesn't work that way in the NBA.
    I think the 1995 Houston Rockets have something to say about that.

Vapid on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    They were the sixth seed, if I'm not mistaken, and they're the only bottom-half seed in the history of the NBA to win a Championship.

Plus they had Hakeem. I love Dwight Howard, but he's no Hakeem Olajuwon, not now, and I'll be shocked if I ever mention him in the same breath. Hakeem had already BEEN to the NBA Finals, too, and that team opened the next season 15-0 on the way to another Championship.

Also, if Jordan hadn't retired briefly, they never would have won that chip.

All that to say -- the 1995 Rockets are a moot point.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    They were the sixth seed, if I'm not mistaken, and they're the only bottom-half seed in the history of the NBA to win a Championship.

Plus they had Hakeem. I love Dwight Howard, but he's no Hakeem Olajuwon, not now, and I'll be shocked if I ever mention him in the same breath. Hakeem had already BEEN to the NBA Finals, too, and that team opened the next season 15-0 on the way to another Championship.

Also, if Jordan hadn't retired briefly, they never would have won that chip.

All that to say -- the 1995 Rockets are a moot point.
    Yea, Hakeem is leagues and miles above Dwight, but I'm just saying. However, I really believe the Rockets could have still won with Jordan in the League. Jordan has been quoted to say that the Rockets were the only team they had serious problems with.

Vapid on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't the Rockets ever had any problems with the Bulls. It was the goddamn Sonics that were always fucking their shit up. That's back when I actually watched basketball. Hakeem was the man. I'm almost positive I saw him once on my campus during the lockout.

I'm thinking about getting back into basketball. I'm not sure yet though.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I don't the Rockets ever had any problems with the Bulls. It was the goddamn Sonics that were always fucking their shit up. That's back when I actually watched basketball. Hakeem was the man. I'm almost positive I saw him once on my campus during the lockout.

I'm thinking about getting back into basketball. I'm not sure yet though.
    Houston should be a good squad this year, as long as everyone is healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Western Conference Finals really at all.

• Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:

Sheer genius. I also watched the tecmo bowl game which show's Bo Jackson running back and forth on the field for a 300 yard touchdown. It reminds me of Nintendo's John Elway Quarterback, in which by hitting select on the controller allows the quaterback to run at a super speed making him intouchable.
    Moral; It's what ruins games for "real" gamers but what makes them surreal and comical for us lay folk. Reality is all fun and games for a little bit, but once you find out how to become both little and still have fireball power or how to make the announcers say all wrong names for each player well worth it. Welcome to the human race, may we never figure out how to transcend our 'human-ness'.

Werdna on
  • Options
    spymonkeyspymonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    spymonkey wrote:

That said, I really think the Magic have a shot at 50 wins this season, which is WHY I think they might be a threat in the post season.

I generally agree, but being a Magic fan for so long has forced me to temper the optimism I usually gain during the offseason. When I say getting to the playoffs might be tough, it's not because I think we'll have a crappy season, but because it's a long 82 games, and all sorts of bad crap tends to happen to us. This'll be like the 6th time I've started a season saying "if Grant Hill stays healthy..."

I'm hoping that we got through all our major bad luck with injuries during the preseason, when at one point we had like 9 people on the injured list.

spymonkey on
    Spymonkey7465-tds.jpg
    Spymonkey7465-mkds.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, I just saw what happened to the Heat.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't stop laughing. What the fuck happened? They were so great last year.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    its cause the entire team, with the exception of udonis haslem and dwade, belongs in a senior citizen home. I dont understand why all those guys stuck around after the title. If they are even going to think about contending for the title this year, dwades not only going to need the refs on his side again but hes gonna need to put in crazy jordanesque numbers

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!