Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

1568101133

Posts

  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    And you must be joking calling Larry Brown an all-time great. There's a reason North Carolina didn't want him and went with Roy Williams instead, despite Williams not having an NCAA title. Larry Brown is the Jalen Rose of coaching - you bring him in thinking he'll help you, and he might even help get you to a Finals or two. But in less than 3 years he'll be a distraction to the point of hurting the team, and he'll either quit on you or make you pay him to just go away.
    Not until he got to NYC would you ever trash Larry Brown's coaching record. He got results in every single stop he ever made. The man brought the goddamn Clippers to the playoffs back when Donald Sterling still staunchly refused to pay for anything, the only guy to get AI in sniffing distance of a chip, very nearly went back-to-back with Detroit, oh right also won an NCAA national championship. Seriously, until the NYK debacle last year his record was sterling. There was a reason he was and is highly thought of and respected, was chosen to coach Team USA in the Olympics, etc. etc. How quickly people forget.

    and @ deadonthestreet -- yeah, goddamn, I lost FT% by .001 point, and I'm pretty surprised you overcame me in DREBs on the last day. I'm not sure how confident I am in this team.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    I left Odom and Kobe on the bench. D:

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:
    And you must be joking calling Larry Brown an all-time great. There's a reason North Carolina didn't want him and went with Roy Williams instead, despite Williams not having an NCAA title. Larry Brown is the Jalen Rose of coaching - you bring him in thinking he'll help you, and he might even help get you to a Finals or two. But in less than 3 years he'll be a distraction to the point of hurting the team, and he'll either quit on you or make you pay him to just go away.
    Not until he got to NYC would you ever trash Larry Brown's coaching record. He got results in every single stop he ever made. The man brought the goddamn Clippers to the playoffs back when Donald Sterling still staunchly refused to pay for anything, the only guy to get AI in sniffing distance of a chip, very nearly went back-to-back with Detroit, oh right also won an NCAA national championship. Seriously, until the NYK debacle last year his record was sterling. There was a reason he was and is highly thought of and respected, was chosen to coach Team USA in the Olympics, etc. etc. How quickly people forget.

    Congrats to Brown for leading the Clips to two good years with Brown and then - guess what? - quitting on them just like he's quit on every other team he's ever coached.

    Congrats to Brown for getting Detroit a title against a Laker team that literally self-destructed during the Finals.
    Congrats to Brown also for costing Detroit a possible second title the following year by distracting his team with his incessant "Will I, won't I, will I, won't I join the Knicks?" routine throughout the playoffs.

    Congrats to Brown for visibly quitting on the Knicks last year in the middle of year 1 of his "dream job." Congrats to Brown for asking for $53 million to not coach NY this year, but being forced to settle for a measly $18.5 million to sit home and play Xbox all day.

    Congrats to Brown for being chosen to coach Team USA in 2004 and leading them to the WORST Olympic showing by any US Basketball team ever.

    Brown is a good Xs and Os guy. But he has no idea whatsoever on how to handle player management and strategic adjustments. If you look at his record you'll see that his teams always decline at the end of his tenure as players start to tune out his screaming and browbeating. It's very Bob Knight-ian, except that in college Knight gets a new crop of kids ready to listen every 4 years, and the ones who have started to tune out graduate. Brown could have gotten that at Chapel Hill, but the Heels didn't want him bolting as soon as May, McCants and Felton did. Apparently they weren't forgetting Brown's past either.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    Congrats to Brown for leading the Clips to two good years with Brown and then - guess what? - quitting on them just like he's quit on every other team he's ever coached.

    Congrats to Brown for getting Detroit a title against a Laker team that literally self-destructed during the Finals.
    Congrats to Brown also for costing Detroit a possible second title the following year by distracting his team with his incessant "Will I, won't I, will I, won't I join the Knicks?" routine throughout the playoffs.

    Congrats to Brown for visibly quitting on the Knicks last year in the middle of year 1 of his "dream job." Congrats to Brown for asking for $53 million to not coach NY this year, but being forced to settle for a measly $18.5 million to sit home and play Xbox all day.

    Congrats to Brown for being chosen to coach Team USA in 2004 and leading them to the WORST Olympic showing by any US Basketball team ever.

    Brown is a good Xs and Os guy. But he has no idea whatsoever on how to handle player management and strategic adjustments. If you look at his record you'll see that his teams always decline at the end of his tenure as players start to tune out his screaming and browbeating. It's very Bob Knight-ian, except that in college Knight gets a new crop of kids ready to listen every 4 years, and the ones who have started to tune out graduate. Brown could have gotten that at Chapel Hill, but the Heels didn't want him bolting as soon as May, McCants and Felton did. Apparently they weren't forgetting Brown's past either.
    Right, so all that to say that Brown's style gets results, serious results, some of the best results one could hope for, but it doesn't work forever. That does nothing to take away from Brown's coaching acumen.

    And to suggest that the Pistons won in 5, with the only loss coming on the road via a miracle shot at the end of regulation to tie it, because the Lakers simply didn't play the basketball they should have, is absolutely ridiculous. Brown's Pistons handed Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, and Shaquille O'Neal their fucking ASS on a PLATTER. That team got so fucking embarrassed. There were people talking about "Lakers in Three!" Am I the only one who remembers this? Then they got fucking SCHOOLED, EMBARRASSED, HUMILIATED, and it's not like that was a bad team. To blame that on the Laker's failing and not the Pistons successes is just more of that revisionist bullshit. The Lakers couldn't handle the Pistons, straight up, and part of that is because Brown is a better coach than Phil Jackson.

    Yes, Brown embarrassed himself in the Olympics, but that has to do with his coaching style bumping up against the Olympic Selection Committee, plus the on-going phenomena of foreign teams balling the fuck out v. the US. If Brown were to be able to select his own team, he would do much better. As it stood, he had talent there, he just had no idea how to use it. That doesn't diminish his ability as a coach, it just proves that an organization needs to work together top to bottom for success (which is why Brown inevitably ends up with his hand in the GM pot).

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I really need to start watching the Rockets. They appear to be kicking ass and taking names. Perhaps they will rekindle my lost love for the game.

    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I really need to start watching the Rockets. They appear to be kicking ass and taking names. Perhaps they will rekindle my lost love for the game.
    Yao Ming is far and away the best center in the league, and might very well be for the next 5-7 years. He's incredible.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I really need to start watching the Rockets. They appear to be kicking ass and taking names. Perhaps they will rekindle my lost love for the game.
    Yao Ming is far and away the best center in the league, and might very well be for the next 5-7 years. He's incredible.
    bynum is the future :D

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I really need to start watching the Rockets. They appear to be kicking ass and taking names. Perhaps they will rekindle my lost love for the game.
    Yao Ming is far and away the best center in the league, and might very well be for the next 5-7 years. He's incredible.
    bynum is the future :D

    Oden is coming people...

    Werdna on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Right, so all that to say that Brown's style gets results, serious results, some of the best results one could hope for, but it doesn't work forever. That does nothing to take away from Brown's coaching acumen.

    I don't agree that Brown's results are the best that can be achieved. 2 teams - Clippers, 76ers - dropped their level of play when Brown left. 3 teams - Pacers, Spurs, Pistons - maintained or improved their level of play when Brown left. A fourth, the Knicks, appears to be better this year than last year under Brown.
    There were people talking about "Lakers in Three!" Am I the only one who remembers this? Then they got fucking SCHOOLED, EMBARRASSED, HUMILIATED, and it's not like that was a bad team. To blame that on the Laker's failing and not the Pistons successes is just more of that revisionist bullshit. The Lakers couldn't handle the Pistons, straight up, and part of that is because Brown is a better coach than Phil Jackson.

    I remember predictions of a Laker sweep, but that's to be expected from Laker fans. I remember Laker fans predicting 60 wins last year, and a ring next year. Living in LA, you sort of get used to the purple and gold myopic haze that blankets the city like smog.

    What I also remember, though, is a Laker team that should have lost to Minnesota if Cassell had been healthy, and was saved by, of all people, Kareem Rush. The team wasn't bad on paper, but there was zero cohesiveness. Kobe and Shaq had the locker room, heck the entire organization split down the middle, all the way down to coach Jackson siding with Shaq and owner Buss siding with Kobe.

    Brown deserves credit in that Finals for his best job of player management ever, although it was the Lakers players he was able to manipulate - basically goading Kobe into going 1-on-5 like a young Jordan vs the Bad Boys. Still, Brown's overall track record is that he cannot manage or motivate players for any sustained length of time.
    If Brown were to be able to select his own team, he would do much better. As it stood, he had talent there, he just had no idea how to use it. That doesn't diminish his ability as a coach, it just proves that an organization needs to work together top to bottom for success (which is why Brown inevitably ends up with his hand in the GM pot).

    To me, optimizing the talent on hand is one of the most important jobs of the coach. It requires making adjustments, re-analyzing old strategies that no longer work. This is one of Brown's main weaknesses along with player management - he sucks at making adjustments. And in the NBA, adjustments and player management, ie ego management, are just as important as Xs and Os.

    This is where Brown falls well short of greatness. It's incredibly difficult to get by on scheme in the NBA as opposed to college, and all the best coaches today have continually had to tinker and re-tool.
    - Phil Jackson went from a perimeter attack to the high-post triangle to the low-post triangle back to the high-post triangle.
    - Gregg Popovich went from a post offense built around Robinson and Duncan to a perimeter attack led by Parker.
    - Pat Riley went from Showtime to the thugball Knicks and Heat to an inside-out game.

    These coaches changed their systems based on the strengths of their players. Brown continually insists on his players changing to fit Brown's system, and when they either can't or won't, he's at a loss. He just keeps trying to pound square pegs into round holes until he gets bored and goes home. A good coach can win with a roster hand-picked for his system - a great one can create a system to win with his players.


    On another note - Game of the Week tonight as the Clippers travel to Utah, where they are 1-28 since the Delta Center opened.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    Brown deserves credit in that Finals for his best job of player management ever, although it was the Lakers players he was able to manipulate - basically goading Kobe into going 1-on-5 like a young Jordan vs the Bad Boys. Still, Brown's overall track record is that he cannot manage or motivate players for any sustained length of time.
    I just want to say that this is exactly the kind of BS that is a disrespect to the Pistons. The suggestion is that the Lakers lost because Kobe submarined the team. The idea that the Pistons just flat out OUTPLAYED THEM isn't what's at work here.

    You want to know why Kobe sucked in those Finals? Because he was using incredible amounts of energy trying to keep up with Rip on the defensive end, and it showed on offense. Also, you want to know why the Pistons offense had its way? Because Shaq is fat and lazy and pure ass against the high pick and roll, which is why Chauncey won Finals MVP. Shaq is also ass at low-post defense at that point, which is why any time the Pistons needed a bucket they iso'd Sheed in the low block and let him have his way.

    The Pistons were a BETTER team. Their strategy KILLED the Lakers strategy, and it's not just some locker room riff that took that team apart, it was Brown's strategy making a mockery of the Lakers weakness, and then Jackson's total inability to adjust to compensate for his weaknesses which allowed the Pistons to kill them.

    Also, it's not just Minnesota that fell to that Lakers squad, they also beat out a strong Spurs side, who were originally high-pick-and-rolling the Lakers to death before Fisher hit a miracle shot and Tony Parker fell apart. Jackson knocked off a very capable Popovich side that year. It wasn't just some fluke that put them in the NBA Finals, and it wasn't just Kobe going 1-on-5 that made them lose 4-1. The same Brown-led Pistons squad went 7 with Pop's Spurs the next year, the same Spurs that had just fallen to Jackson's Lakers. It shows that Brown had Jackson's number, but Pop just barely got the better of him.

    And as another aside, way more people that just Lakers fans thought that squad was going 82-0 or whatever. People across the country were ready to hand Karl "Squirrel Pie" Malone his ring in October, and really few things still bring me more joy than knowing his dumb, Mexican-hunting, dirty-playing, career spoon-fed, dumb balding ass got yet ANOTHER Finals loss on his record. Fuck Karl Malone.

    Also -- about adjustments, meh, he gets results, and forget the regular season the Pistons fell the fuck apart in last year's playoffs without him. Also Big Ben is a career cry baby, I could care less what he has to say about LB.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    And as another aside, way more people that just Lakers fans thought that squad was going 82-0 or whatever. People across the country were ready to hand Karl "Squirrel Pie" Malone his ring in October, and really few things still bring me more joy than knowing his dumb, Mexican-hunting, dirty-playing, career spoon-fed, dumb balding ass got yet ANOTHER Finals loss on his record. Fuck Karl Malone.
    Oh man, I don't really like Malone either dating back to his series against the Rockets, but what is behind your hate?

    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    And as another aside, way more people that just Lakers fans thought that squad was going 82-0 or whatever. People across the country were ready to hand Karl "Squirrel Pie" Malone his ring in October, and really few things still bring me more joy than knowing his dumb, Mexican-hunting, dirty-playing, career spoon-fed, dumb balding ass got yet ANOTHER Finals loss on his record. Fuck Karl Malone.
    Oh man, I don't really like Malone either dating back to his series against the Rockets, but what is behind your hate?
    He's one of the dirtiest players to ever play the game, and fuck what you heard, he benefited more from playing with Stockton than Stockton did by playing with him. Also he played in Utah -- fuck Utah, full of mormons. Also he's really dirty and lame. Also he shamelessly went to the Lakers to chase a ring and FUCK HIS PATHETIC DIRTY ASS HE LOST!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    One time I had a female Laker fan sticking up for him because she was trying to cheer for the home team, and as a dick I asked her if she knew what his go to move was. When she said no I leaned in for a jumpshot and elbowed her in the nose, and said there you go, Karl Malone's money move right there. That was the last time she ever talked basketball with me, and I wish I could say I feel bad about it.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    One time I had a female Laker fan sticking up for him because she was trying to cheer for the home team, and as a dick I asked her if she knew what his go to move was. When she said no I leaned in for a jumpshot and elbowed her in the nose, and said there you go, Karl Malone's money move right there. That was the last time she ever talked basketball with me, and I wish I could say I feel bad about it.
    Oh man, that's the funniest thing I've read this week. Nicely done, sir.

    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    One time I had a female Laker fan sticking up for him because she was trying to cheer for the home team, and as a dick I asked her if she knew what his go to move was. When she said no I leaned in for a jumpshot and elbowed her in the nose, and said there you go, Karl Malone's money move right there. That was the last time she ever talked basketball with me, and I wish I could say I feel bad about it.
    :lol:


    God, that's awesome!

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, celery. Watch the Bulls-Houston game on TNT and tell me if they are being awesome. It sounds like they're doing pretty well.

    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Hey, celery. Watch the Bulls-Houston game on TNT and tell me if they are being awesome. It sounds like they're doing pretty well.
    I don't have cable right now (prolly by the end of the month ... hopefully). I am going to a bar to watch GSW v. SAC though, so I might see some highlights.

    All I know is Yao is incredible and there appears to be hints of the fact that Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston might be actually learning how to play PG.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Hey, celery. Watch the Bulls-Houston game on TNT and tell me if they are being awesome. It sounds like they're doing pretty well.
    I don't have cable right now (prolly by the end of the month ... hopefully). I am going to a bar to watch GSW v. SAC though, so I might see some highlights.

    All I know is Yao is incredible and there appears to be hints of the fact that Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston might be actually learning how to play PG.

    The natural universe must be turned upside down.
    The Warriors had a pretty kick ass game the other day and I'm the one who now has cable.

    Werdna on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yo Werdna -- just for you:

    amare.gif

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So I know this'll piss Celery off.


    But I'm a Wally fan. I like having him on my team.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So I know this'll piss Celery off.


    But I'm a Wally fan. I like having him on my team.
    I like that highlight of Wally getting karate kicked by Bruce Bowen. He's gotta be one of my least favorite players in the NBA (Wally, that is).

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Also, gg China.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Good game tonight celery. Time to trade Baron and give that little Ellis kid the reigns now. He reminds me of a young Damon Stoudamire with a KJ twist.

    Werdna on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    Good game tonight celery. Time to trade Baron and give that little Ellis kid the reigns now. He reminds me of a young Damon Stoudamire with a KJ twist.
    No way we trade Baron, but that kid Monta is going to be all right. I did NOT think he would be this good this fast. This is like what I was expecting him to do at the END of the season. Also, can't feel too bad about losing to PHX when Baron is injured. These should be some real good match-ups this season. Actually, the Pacific in general is looking to be one of the most competitive and evenly matched divisions in the league.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lakers playing well. Bynum is surprising me. Odom and Kobe look like they've gotten on the same page at last--Odom looks like he's going to have "Play for my son" type of year.

    (Tragic about his son).

    We play that other team that needs to move to San Diego tonight.

    Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lakers playing well. Bynum is surprising me. Odom and Kobe look like they've gotten on the same page at last--Odom looks like he's going to have "Play for my son" type of year.

    (Tragic about his son).

    We play that other team that needs to move to San Diego tonight.

    I have no idea what happened last night. The Clippers are usually a very good rebounding team, but the Lakers were grabbing O-boards all night. That and Kobe's usual unstoppable-ness put the game away.

    Dumbleavy strikes again! After Cassell goes off for 12 points in what seemed like 30 seconds in the 3rd quarter, he was benched for the next 12 minutes for no apparent reason. That's the same time the offense stagnated when the Clips should have been putting the game away, as the Lakers went 8 minutes without scoring.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's getting ugly with Amare in PHX. Questions about playing time, fake reports of flu illness, poor numbers. He might get traded before the season is over.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    People keep saying about Utah, "They're not as good as their record indicates." They've been saying that for several games now. I'm sitting back and looking at this, thinking, "So, when are they going to get back to playing as good as they supposedly REALLY are?" In other words, when are they finally going to cool off?

    The big upcoming test for Utah is next week's back-to-back. Spurs at home then Lakers on the road. Last night's win over the Lakers, the #3 record in the league, was good for them, as was the #2 record (San Antonio) losing and putting Utah ahead of them by 2 games. But if they want to put out the signal that they're not just a good team, but THE team to beat, they're going to have to win those games (especially the Spurs one).

    If that happens, if they sweep that back-to-back, then the aforementioned People might start thinking, "Ok, maybe they ARE as good as their record indicates..." But lose them instead, and they're back down to reality a bit, and the Spurs will be charging back to try and take the conference lead.

    SabreMau on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Who doesn't think Utah's legit? They've beaten Phoenix twice, Detroit, Houston, Lakers, Clippers and Kings - all playoff teams last year. I wouldn't say they're the team to beat, though. A seven game series still favors teams like Miami and San Antonio, because it allows Shaq and Duncan to rest. And with how weak the East looks this year, Shaq might have a lot of time to rest between the ECF and the Finals as the Western teams all kill each other like last year.

    There's also a farcical situation going on right now in Chicago between the head coach and the team's new marquee free agent.
    Blatantly defying coach Scott Skiles' team rule prohibiting headbands, Ben Wallace broke one out to match the Bulls' road uniforms Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.

    Thirteen games into a four-year contract that will pay him $60 million, Wallace and Skiles are at odds, according to the Chicago Tribune.

    One night after Wallace played a season-low 19 minutes, 38 seconds, Skiles removed Wallace just 2:02 after tipoff for breaking the team rule.

    Is Skiles' worried Wallace' insubordination will become an issue? "No," he said after the game. "I don't know why. I'm just not."

    Skiles wouldn't comment on why his rule is in effect. Wallace wouldn't comment on if he agreed with it.

    "Man, I don't care about that," Wallace said. "All I know is we got the win."

    Asked if he understood why he was benched, Wallace looked downward. "Ask [Skiles]," he said. "Coach makes the decisions. I just play."

    After Wallace was removed, assistant Ron Adams went to talk to him. Fellow assistant Pete Myers, Wallace's closest confidant, subsequently followed suit. Finally, assistant Jim Boylan, Skiles' right-hand man, visited him. And, still, the headband remained.

    When Wallace finally removed it, during a deadball situation with 2:41 left in the first quarter, Skiles called for him to re-enter. But the turmoil didn't end there.

    Wallace slipped the headband back on just before the second half was set to start. Skiles immediately sent Malik Allen to the scorer's table before play began.

    When Wallace again removed the headband during a timeout with 5:46 left in the third, he re-entered just 81 seconds later.

    Really, all you need is Skiles slapping the headband off Wallace's head and Big Ben running around going "Woop Woop Woop" and you'd have a Stooges routine.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    spymonkeyspymonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Woooo! The Magic with a big win over Utah tonight proves that they're capable of more than just drubbing lowly Eastern Conference foes! Great way to start a 6 game road trip!

    spymonkey on
    Spymonkey7465-tds.jpg
    Spymonkey7465-mkds.jpg
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    It's getting ugly with Amare in PHX. Questions about playing time, fake reports of flu illness, poor numbers. He might get traded before the season is over.

    and still 6-1 over the last seven. Yep, Rome is burning.

    Werdna on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, good win by Golden State last night without Baron against the Spurs. Andres Biedrins is a Euro-Camby, and played Duncan even the whole game.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    Wow, good win by Golden State last night without Baron against the Spurs. Andres Biedrins is a Euro-Camby, and played Duncan even the whole game.
    Dre Beezy's for real, don't sleep. Dude's only like 21, too. I love that guy. I've loved him since he was an 18-year-old embarrassing the Knicks in Madison Square Garden. I'm happy to see a coach is finally showing some confidence in him, he's learned how to stop fouling, and his potential is really starting to come through.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    untitlednx7.jpg

    This is so sad.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, even though Utah dropped the two games before tonight (Golden State jumped up and kicked both them and SA in the head, and Orlando seems to be the best thing in the East at the moment), they manage to hang on and win a low-scoring game against San Antonio. That puts Dallas (11 in the row, hurrah) up to 1st place in the Southwest. Sacramento's looking like it wants to take the Pacific lead away from the Lakers, too. But Utah's still relatively far ahead of Denver in the NW.

    SabreMau on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anybody do their All Star voting yet? It's looking real tough to pick who gets in, especially at the Western Conference forward positions. Duncan and Dirk are automatics, but then you have:

    Kevin Garnett - numbers are still great, will lack of team success hurt him?
    Carmelo Anthony - it's like he just found out now he didn't make last year's team, and is responding with an Arenas-like, league-leading scoring binge
    Carlos Boozer - leading scorer on the NBA's #1 team, leads the West in rebounding
    Shawn Marion - same old, same old for the perennial #1 fantasy player
    Lamar Odom - his stepping up his game, not Kobe, is the primary reason for the Lakers' success
    Rashard Lewis - numbers are up across the board in his contract year
    Zach Randolph - the team isn't a threat anymore without Roy, but Z-bo is still putting up 26/10 nightly
    Elton Brand - scoring is down 7ppg, but still has legit AS #s
    Ron Artest - has accomplished the impossible: getting the Kings to play defense, leads league in steals

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wells, Radmanovic have been nothing but completely wasted picks. Should have known better w/vlad. Hopefully Wells will make it back and do some damage. Any other good busts out there?

    Werdna on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    Wells, Radmanovic have been nothing but completely wasted picks. Should have known better w/vlad. Hopefully Wells will make it back and do some damage. Any other good busts out there?

    Andrei Kirilenko (pick 21 in PA league) - only scoring 9ppg this year, appears to be totally disinterested on the offensive end.

    Jason Richardson (23) - has really struggled coming back from surgery, stats are down across the board including a drop of nearly 10ppg.

    Gerald Wallace (41) and Brad Miller (37) have been hurt this year, and were terrible when they did play. Wallace has dropped from 4.6 combined steals/blocks to 1.8, and Miller's main strength - assists - are at a 5 year low of 2.1, less than half of last year's 4.7.

    Speaking of assisting Cs, Boris Diaw (32) has struggled to find his place with Amare back this year.

    Stephon Marbury (49) - many thought this year would mark the return of "Starbury" and his nightly 20/8. Hasn't happened yet, although his #s are improving.

    Zydrunas Ilgauskas (58) - frankly, he looks used up, old and tired. So does Eddie Jones (110).

    Speedy Claxton (97) - what is going on in Atlanta? He's shooting 25%, and his assist/turnover ratio is under 1.2 from a career average of 2.4.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Josh Smith has been good...nut not as good as I had hoped.

    Jameer Nelson has been a HUGE bust though. Chris Kaman as well.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    BubbaT wrote:
    Anybody do their All Star voting yet? It's looking real tough to pick who gets in, especially at the Western Conference forward positions. Duncan and Dirk are automatics, but then you have:

    Kevin Garnett - numbers are still great, will lack of team success hurt him?
    Carmelo Anthony - it's like he just found out now he didn't make last year's team, and is responding with an Arenas-like, league-leading scoring binge
    Carlos Boozer - leading scorer on the NBA's #1 team, leads the West in rebounding
    Shawn Marion - same old, same old for the perennial #1 fantasy player
    Lamar Odom - his stepping up his game, not Kobe, is the primary reason for the Lakers' success
    Rashard Lewis - numbers are up across the board in his contract year
    Zach Randolph - the team isn't a threat anymore without Roy, but Z-bo is still putting up 26/10 nightly
    Elton Brand - scoring is down 7ppg, but still has legit AS #s
    Ron Artest - has accomplished the impossible: getting the Kings to play defense, leads league in steals

    KG-lack of team success hasn't really hurt him in All-Star balloting, he's putting up the same #'s as he usually has, with a tiny drop in his %s
    Melo-he's really deserving of a spot, I think right now he's the second guy I'd ask to take over a guy after Kobe, and slightly ahead of Redd right now.
    Boozer-Playing up to his contract, and maybe a little over, but not enough to beat out the usual starting forwards
    Marion-hasn't played up to his usual fantasy #s, probably due to Amare sharing some time, and Barbosa emerging as another weapon for Nash to play with.
    Odom-play has been amazing, may get some symphatetic votes, but I doubt enough to get into the starting 5
    Lewis-has been great, is actually the top fantasy contributor I believe, but people won't pick him over KG or Dirk or Duncan
    Randoloph-this guy is sick, 'nuff said
    Brand-#s are down, partially due to Kaman playing like crap, but will eventually put up his usual All-Star/MVP performance
    Artest-will never be an All-Star, but definitely deserves to play in one if he keeps it up. His back hurting sucks right now though.

    The West, as usual, has way too many top-notch forwards who deserve an All-Star spot. This just goes to show how great guys like Duncan are, who are able to be "automatic" for All-Star voters. What's nice to know, when I was going over your list, I had 3 of those players on my fantasy team, :p (Lewis, KG, Artest)

    lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    deadonthestreet on
Sign In or Register to comment.