Options

The NBA (Eddie Griffin killed by a train)

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, AI deserves it. He's given more to Billy King than Billy King deserves. If I were a Philly fan right now, though, I'd be organizing the posse, because it looks like King is just going to go ahead and completely destroy the already fucked up team, like he's truly saved his worst for last. That guy is a moron.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is Vescey still going on about that "We're talking about practice" thing?

I could understand if it were a lazy player, but no one in the league leaves it all on the court every night the way Iverson does. Not Kobe, Duncan, Wade, Lebron, etc. You could maybe make a case for Ben Wallace, at least until the whole stupid headband feud. You can question his playing style or shot selection, but Iverson's effort, heart and toughness are beyond reproach. You can have all the practice players you want who live to do layup drills and run suicides - I'll take guys like AI who bring it on game day.

Oh, and a highly entertaining game between New Jersey and Phoenix last night. TNT should have just cut away from that Dallas snoozer in mid-game and shown the track meet at East Rutherford.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Y'know, if we had a roto league rather than head to head, I'd be a top three team right now.

This is slightly depressing.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    o my indeed, sixers say they wanna deal him by monday im thinking he goes to the celtics who will proceed to ruin him

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    One of the hot rumors right now is AI to Golden State for Baron Davis.

I'm pretty sure Celery would explode if that went down.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    One of the hot rumors right now is AI to Golden State for Baron Davis.

I'm pretty sure Celery would explode if that went down.
    Dude it would be a fucking goddamn PARTY at my house, although seriously it's a terrible move because we have an emerging Monta Ellis who's like a poor-man's AI. I dunno if the AI+AI-Lite back-court would really work.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    I thought I'd have to suffer through a fullieballnutting this week, and get back on track the next week, but Odom sprained his knee and will be out for a whole month.

D:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Looks like the Lakers are going to have some trouble with Odom down, and Kobe icing his knees mid game.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Looks like the Lakers are going to have some trouble with Odom down, and Kobe icing his knees mid game.
    That and they're the shitty ass Lakers.

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh man, looking at the head-to-head stats was depressing. I'm getting my ass kicked by pretty much everybody.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    That as well.

Baron Davis, Biedrins, and maybe a pick for AI?

That'd be retarded for Golden state as far as I can tell. Davis is having a hell of a year and Biedrins is pretty vital to the team.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006

Kobe was icing his knee because the game was supposed to be over with their 27 point lead. But it's going to be tough with Odom being out.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    That as well.

Baron Davis, Biedrins, and maybe a pick for AI?

That'd be retarded for Golden state as far as I can tell. Davis is having a hell of a year and Biedrins is pretty vital to the team.

I wouldn't want to give up Biedrins if I were GS. Foyle, Dunleavy, and Murphy are the ones they'd probably like to move most, in that order, because of their big contracts.

Also - if Gilbert Arenas isn't one of your favorite players, head on over to www.gilbertology.net and you might have to re-evaluate your stance.

“They used to make him [Arenas] get doughnuts, a rookie thing. I would come in early and he’d be putting baby powder [as if it was powdered sugar] on the doughnuts or licking them and putting them back in the box. He would look at me and laugh whenever someone would eat one. That’s when I shut down eating doughnuts.”
    - Troy Murphy, Golden State Warriors forward

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectacular implosion by the Rockets tonight.

Also, the Celtics beat the Nuggets in an immensely entertaining game. When did Tony Allen remember how to play basketball?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

What the hell happened to their defense?

Other than that, this is the first time I've seen Yao in a while and I'm impressed.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Also, the Celtics beat the Nuggets in an immensely entertaining game. When did Tony Allen remember how to play basketball?
    I guess that whole "two dribble drive" thing finally got through to him. Everyone knows how crazy fast and athletic he is, but he can't move with the ball to save his life. He's not a legit 15 PPG scorer yet, but he still has some room to grow before he hits his ceiling.

Oh, and I cannot overstate how happy I am that Ainge declared Big Al off limits in any trade scenario for AI. With both Ratliffe and Perkins out, Doc has finally been forced to play Jefferson for some decent minutes, and damn if he hasn't stepped up to the challenge. He's averaged 2 blocks, 12.25 rebounds, and 19.25 points during the C's four-game winning streak, and he's actually been playing starter minutes.

Now all we need is Gerald Green to realize some of his potential and we could have the makings of a damn good team here in Boston.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    God damn Doc is the worst coach in the NBA.

Remember how he never played Gomes last year, then one day he did, and Gomes was the third or fourth best player on the team? Aggg. Man drives me batty.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    God damn Doc is the worst coach in the NBA.

Remember how he never played Gomes last year, then one day he did, and Gomes was the third or fourth best player on the team? Aggg. Man drives me batty.

Did you read Bill Simmons's latest mailbag?

[spoiler:1f52e09cf4]"If I Coached Them, Here's How it Happened" - by Glenn Rivers[/spoiler:1f52e09cf4]

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bill Simmons is the third best thing to read at ESPN.com behind Peter Gammons and Bill Simmons' wife.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    captlas10812160702rockeck2.jpg
    GRRAAWWRRR
    REJECTED!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Haha Yao looks like someone shot him.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Everyone always talk about how Yao isn't "tough" enough, that he doesn't have enough of an attitude to earn the respect of aggressive NBA big men.

Getting shot would probably be the best thing that could happen to his career.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think Yao is beginning to shed a lot of those "soft" labels. His play has been stellar ever since he finally got that big toe infection taken care of - regaining his mobility, combined with his ridiculously good technical skills, makes it easy to forget that he's 7'6'' when he's pivoting around into fadeaway jumpshots in the paint. More importantly, his overall demeanor has changed as well. He's showing more grit, more emotion, and more hustle. (I was pretty stoked when I heard about him admonishing his teammates on the Chinese national team to play with more fire.)

On the other hand, he still turns the ball over too much, and he doesn't utilize his gifted passing skills more often. I still don't see him doing a great job of recognizing incoming double teams and throwing the ball out of the paint, but I dunno . . . when he started making waves in the league, he was doing a great job of finding nice passing angles in getting the ball to cutters, so maybe this is more of a function of how Van Gundy utilizes him in the offense than anything else.

Anyways, I guess my point is that Yao has beasted some of the premier NBA big men so far this season (especially Shaq), so it would seem silly to me if people continued to disrespect his game. I mean, it's not like he's the Asian Shawn Bradley or anything. He's fucking Emperor Yao! (That is, until Dwight Howard begins to really develop some basketball smarts and starts single-handedly destroying teams.)

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Another exciting game for the Celtics, this time against the Bobcats (ho-hum). Big Al went for 22 and 10, and once more played the whole game without getting into foul trouble. He even looks like he's starting to develop something of a jump shot to keep defenders off-guard (used it on Okafor tonight, who was blocking shots in the paint like crazy).

If this kid ever learns how to pass out of a double team, he's going to be an absolute demon of a low-post player.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Brawl between the Knicks and Nuggets (worst names franchises in sports history, by the way).

Carmelo threw a nasty punch. Wonder how long he'll be out for.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    He'll probably get at least 30 games, maybe the rest of the season. I don't think David Stern is going to fuck around with this one.

Of course, that suspension will get knocked down to five games if he can last 10 rounds with Kermit Washington.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    But he's a big star. One of the faces of the NBA. They won't suspend him that long.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know, it's a single unprovoked sucker punch to the face after the fight was otherwise over. And the cameras got a really clear shot of it too. Especially with him being the NBA scoring leader and the nuggets going nowhere particularly interesting, Stern could decide to make an example out of him. My gut feeling is 30 games.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So I've heard Isiah and Robinson talk about how their feelings were hurt, because the Nuggets were running up the score, and I've got to say boo-fucking-hoo. There's no surrendering in basketball.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    So I've heard Isiah and Robinson talk about how their feelings were hurt, because the Nuggets were running up the score, and I've got to say boo-fucking-hoo. There's no surrendering in basketball.
    Youre not supposed to run up the score, but did you see the thing on OKSports? Somebody mentioned there was some beef between Karl and Isaiah, potentially over Karl somehow being involved in the Larry Brown thing, and at one of the Summer League games they supposedly even got a little into it before the game, so Karl just might have been running up the score to piss Zeke off, and Zeke just might have sent a player out to take a cheap shot.

I also dont think Melo will get more than 10 games.

• Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Youre not supposed to run up the score, but did you see the thing on OKSports? Somebody mentioned there was some beef between Karl and Isaiah, potentially over Karl somehow being involved in the Larry Brown thing, and at one of the Summer League games they supposedly even got a little into it before the game, so Karl just might have been running up the score to piss Zeke off, and Zeke just might have sent a player out to take a cheap shot.

It all seems funny enough to me. Least no fan was spat upon...and if Karl was just taking it out on Isiah, then it makes it all the more hilarious. I can't stand Isiah and pray he never finds himself working for the Suns.

Werdna on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    15. Ouch.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    15. Ouch.
    I'm mainly surprised Melo didn't get the star treatment from Stern.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Do you not approve of Stern?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    15. Ouch.
    I'm mainly surprised Melo didn't get the star treatment from Stern.
    I completely agree.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Do you not approve of Stern?
    No actually I think David Stern is a pretty great commissioner, easily the best of all major NA sports, but his star system (that he did an excellent job cultivating) does lead to some rather obvious preferential treatment. I'm surprised Melo didn't receive it in this case.

• Options
    edited December 2006
    I hear all these outraged people and I think, am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if they beat the everliving shit out of each other? I really just wouldn't mind.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    15 Games is a gift from Stern. Thats a month on the bench, but he returns in just enough time to get back in play with his team before the All Star Game (which he is certainly playing in). If he wanted to send a message, he would have suspended Melo and Robinson for as many games as it took to take them one past the All Star Break.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    I hear all these outraged people and I think, am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if they beat the everliving shit out of each other? I really just wouldn't mind.
    I love fighting in professional sports and think it should be subtly encouraged.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    15. Ouch.

With Melo out for a month, this puts a big-time need on Denver to get a scorer. As it so happens, one of the best scorers to ever play happens to be on the trading block in Philly, and Denver's need might actually compel them to meet Philly's price. Otherwise the Nuggets might wake up in mid-Janurary looking at themselves in the #12 spot or worse in the West.

Out of Denver's next 15, only 5 are even winnable without Anthony, and JR Smith will miss 4 of those 5.

BubbaT on