As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me get the most out of my new laptop

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
I’ve decided it's time I backed up all the things I want to keep, such as music, work, documents, etc, onto DVDs and then give my laptop a complete overhaul by restoring it to it's factory settings. It's a complete mess right now with files everywhere, games have eventually stopped working and it's gotten to the point where I just need to start again. Frankly I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the finer points of PCs/laptops, so I'm just after some simple, easy to follow, step by step advice on how not to get into this situation again

Anyway, after the complete wipe and reinstall of all the programs that came installed on the system, I'd like a suggestion of what anti-virus software to install and some good, solid tips on keeping my system up to date, running efficiently and doing anything I can to keep this system running as smoothly as possible. A few specific questions I'd like answering-

As stated above, what's the best, free, anti-virus software to install and how often should I run/update it? I'll be browsing websites, possibly playing a game or two online, using MSN and Yahoo instant messengers only and using hamachi to network between friends. May as well be thorough with what I'm going to be doing so I can get a good idea of what software would be best for me and how I should use it.

I'll be using this laptop for browsing the internet, doing a little gaming, for now, specifically Spore and small, low end games such as Rougelikes the Fallouts and Xcom. Basically I'll be just using it for light tasks such as typing, using drawing programs and maybe a high end game now and again. I asked a question about defragging my system recently, but if I'm using it for tasks such as these, eg, not installing or uninstalling much over a month, how often should I defrag for optimum performance? Once a month can't hurt can it?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated too. Just for the sake of it I’m going to post my system specs up too in the post below this (it's a very long file) so if anyone thinks they could advise me of any ways I could fine tune my system further by adjusting page file sizes or whatnot to get things running as smooth as possible, especially when I decide to make the most out of the graphics card now and again and play fairly good looking games, any suggestions on what I could try would be very much appreciated. This is simply a copy/paste from my DxDiag readout so there is probably a lot of useless information here too

For reference, originally I had Doom 3 and FEAR running on nearly the highest settings and pretty much perfectly; Doom 3 on Ultra only caused a minor hiccup here and there) so it’s a very capable system, I’d just like to know how I can really take advantage of this.

Thanks to anyone who decides to give me any advice.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DxDiag info/system specs
    Time of this report: 6/15/2008, 21:24:03
    Machine name: SHIGSY
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Acer, inc.
    System Model: Ferrari 4000
    BIOS: Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-32, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Page File: 400MB used, 3595MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 (0x5653)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_007E1025&REV_00
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6546 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 5/3/2005 22:28:56, 226816 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 5/3/2005 22:28:36, 1133056 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1513-11CF-076A-7420A1C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x5653
    SubSys ID: 0x007E1025
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV8_B ModeWMV8_A ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A
    Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I go with:
    AVG Free
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    for my computer anti-virus + anti-spyware needs (and yes, I think two spyware programs are necessary. I tend not to install their real-time protection, though)
    Sygate Personal Firewall as my firewall (yet to find a better one, even if it is ancient)
    And the always awesome:
    CCleaner
    for keeping my machine running at a spiffy speed

And being a Linux geek at heart, I absolutely recommend open-source alternatives such as OpenOffice.org, Firefox 3 and Pidgin to the established Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger/Yahoo Messenger

You can get away with a virus/anti-spyware scan every week, along with CCleaner whenever the hell you want. A defrag every month is fine.

theSquid on